StuckinCMHland

Re: More details on BOOM SST at Paris. SFO to Toyko in 5.5 hours. First flight in 2020...

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Strato2 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

I'm going out on a limb here: Because it is his opinion.

I, too, see absolutely no need - economically and ecologically - for this project. How much money will have to be spent on the development? How many units will have to be sold to even recoup the development costs, let alone return a decent interest for the manufacturer and the investors? How high will the fares have to be in order to even recoup the operating costs, let alone return a decent interest for the airline? The article in post #1 claims it to be $5,000 - I sincerely doubt the number.

Lastly, in the days of fast global online communication I see not much real need for getting faster across ponds than with what we have today. We have lost supersonic travel 10 years ago, and the businesses are still running fine.

There was no need for the A380 either, but you and many others waxed orgasmic over its development and production even though billions were spent to develop the albatross.
I confidently bet my last dollar that when the technology is developed that allows travel from US to SE Asia in 5 hours instead of the ridiculous 19 hours currently taken, you and other naysayers will be first in line.

Who cares about finances when the future of the planet as we know it is at stake. The A380 was at least environmentally relatively sane project. It was the most efficient widebody at the time for transporting people in relative comfort and if somebody would have had the guts to install 800 seats it still would be extremely economical.

With respect, it must be very difficult for you (and others who believe as you do) to live in fear every moment that the planet will die soon because of human caused climate change.

cpd

Re: More details on BOOM SST at Paris. SFO to Toyko in 5.5 hours. First flight in 2020...

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:18 pm

zeke wrote:
The mats does not add up for me.

Mach 2.2 at FL600 is close enough to 1260 kts, SFO to NRT should be about 3.5 hrs (4500 nm), the maximum endurance of the aircraft.

Why the 5.5 hrs SFO to NRT ? That’s more like Mach 1.4.

Difference is the climb and deceleration portions of the flight. While your A350 might zoom up to its cruise speed quite fast and then throttle back, an SST usually runs at full dry power (if using reheated engines) and takes a fair while to reach M2.0, climbing all the while, then climbing or descending (yes indeed) to stay on M2.0.

The descent portion was previously a descent to subsonic speed so that you didn’t drop the boom on land. This bit today would be easier with the modern FMS systems we have.

If this Boom aircraft can deliver on low sonic booms then it might (depending on ATC) be possible to descend almost straight in to the destination airport from the top of descent point without needing to be subsonic before land. That will save some time and fuel.

T4thH

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Oh wow, rarely seen such silly timelines.

Of course, 2025 Overture will fly...and all other numbers are even more silly.

I just remeber the Cargolifter story, and when I have tried to explain many other, that it will never work and had to recognize, that it was just wasted time. Ral numbers will never beat a silly dream. Never seen again so often the word "aber" (it was in German so translated: "but"), in a discussion, stated by the opposite in the discussions. Shall I do it again, shall I ´try it again? No, I just do not want to waste my value time.

Sorry Folks. Only few small tips, before airmchair airline ceos already starts to define, which routes the airlines have to fly and if regional or general pilots have to be employed, I would first start to discuss, if the timelines, the general concept, national and regional laws (like as excample EU) are feasable, so ever a supersonic bird will fly supersonic with a boom over land anywhere in the world. Realistic costs, developement times, realistic production rates and a realistic estimated of worldwide demand will be also nice.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos