Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Another Passenger Assaults FA

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:03 pm

This time on a PIT - DAL flight last night.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/06 ... y-landing/

Flight diverted to OKC.

There has to be a national data base of these people that create these problems, and they should be banned for life for flying on any airline, 1 strike and you're out.

Flying is a privilege, it is not a constitutional right.

Anyone that causes a flight to be diverted should be held financially liable for the associated costs to the airline and every passenger affected.
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed, please do not use capital letters only

zakuivcustom

Re: ANOTHER PASSENGER ASSAULTS FA

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:14 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
There has to be a national data base of these people that create these problems, and they should be banned for life for flying on any airline, 1 strike and you're out.

Maybe US should have a "Point System" like mainland China which disqualify certain people from flying if their "point/rank" are not high enough. :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

P.S. No need for the title to be in all caps...

WayexTDI

Re: Another Passenger Assaults FA

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:54 pm

crjflyboy wrote:

A little exaggeration on your end?

Driving is a privilege, not a constitutional right; so, according to you, one moving violation (such as speeding) and you can no longer drive???

The guy needs to be punished according to existing laws, he should get counseling (both anger and alcohol); but "banned for life for flying on any airline"??? Be realistic, we all have bad days.

Seabear

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:00 pm

"Having a bad day" is neither an excuse nor a license for egregious behavior. Actions have consequences. This cretin deserves consequences en masse, including a lifetime ban. Let him walk or ride the 'hound once he gets out of prison
Last edited by Seabear on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FCOTSTW

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:02 pm

crjflyboy wrote:

Sorry, but an airplane ticket is nothing more than a transportation contract and as such, an airline has the right to refuse to enter such a contract, if it chooses to do so. It is not a privilege.

FCOTSTW

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:03 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Sorry, but an airplane ticket is nothing more than a transportation contract and as such, an airline has the right to refuse to enter such a contract, if it chooses to do so. It is not a privilege.

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:07 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Driving is a privilege, not a constitutional right; so, according to you, one moving violation (such as speeding) and you can no longer drive???

The guy needs to be punished according to existing laws, he should get counseling (both anger and alcohol); but "banned for life for flying on any airline"??? Be realistic, we all have bad days.

No exageration at all ... you are eqauting assaulting others in an aluminum tube traveling 500 mph + at 35,000 feet with speeding ?

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

No exageration at all ... you are eqauting assaulting others in an aluminum tube traveling 500 mph + at 35,000 feet with speeding ?

"one strike and you're out" is never the answer to anything.
Maybe you're suggesting that guy should also be shot to death so he won't bother anyone else ever? Welcome to dictatorship...

727LOVER

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:20 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Maybe you're suggesting that guy should also be shot to death so he won't bother anyone else ever? Welcome to dictatorship...

NOW who's exaggerating???

So AA shouldn't have the right to ban him because he had a BAD DAY????
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:27 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

The TSA blocks people on the no fly list from even buying a ticket on any US airline or any airline entering or leaving the USA.

The TSA makes the determination and grants the privilege or denies it before any reservation or ticket is even issued.

These animals must be placed on the no fly list.

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:42 pm

727LOVER wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

NOW who's exaggerating???

So AA shouldn't have the right to ban him because he had a BAD DAY????

AA has the right to ban him should they decide so; however, to say he should automatically be banned on all airlines is stupid.

Anyway, I'm done, there are obviously some people on here with 0 tolerance policy; good luck when it's your turn.

Karlsands

Re: ANOTHER PASSENGER ASSAULTS FA

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:47 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Maybe US should have a "Point System" like mainland China which disqualify certain people from flying if their "point/rank" are not high enough. :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

P.S. No need for the title to be in all caps...

We ain’t communists, goodness

joeycapps

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:03 pm

I don't necessarily agree with the 1 strike and you're out policy because that's just unrealistic... But pax need to be held accountable for their actions somehow. Alcohol is almost always the catalyst for this behavior, and it's not fair that the airline and other passengers foot the bill (financially and timely) for diversions and the resulting delays. I believe it was HA that not too long ago levied the diversion cost onto the passenger that caused the diversion. Medical I understand, but if you lack the self control to refrain from getting blitzed on a flight, and cause a diversion, you should be punished accordingly. Perhaps a healthy fine and banned from flying until it's paid off? I don't know what the solution is...

And by the way, any airline can ban anyone from flying them with reason at anytime.... It is a business. I'm not sure how much diversions cost down to the penny, but every time this happens, I imagine tens of thousands of dollars adding up quickly. Why would any carrier absorb that liability for a second time?

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:22 pm

joeycapps wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with the 1 strike and you're out policy because that's just unrealistic... But pax need to be held accountable for their actions somehow. Alcohol is almost always the catalyst for this behavior, and it's not fair that the airline and other passengers foot the bill (financially and timely) for diversions and the resulting delays. I believe it was HA that not too long ago levied the diversion cost onto the passenger that caused the diversion. Medical I understand, but if you lack the self control to refrain from getting blitzed on a flight, and cause a diversion, you should be punished accordingly. Perhaps a healthy fine and banned from flying until it's paid off? I don't know what the solution is...

And by the way, any airline can ban anyone from flying them with reason at anytime.... It is a business. I'm not sure how much diversions cost down to the penny, but every time this happens, I imagine tens of thousands of dollars adding up quickly. Why would any carrier absorb that liability for a second time?

This article from the Atlanta paper will give you an idea of the costs.

https://www.ajc.com/business/unruly-pas ... isM7L8ieI/

joeycapps

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 pm

crjflyboy wrote:

Wow... I appreciate the link. Start levying $20k-$100k fines on the public, put it on the front page, and eventually a few people will catch on and re-think their decisions.

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 pm

joeycapps wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Wow... I appreciate the link. Start levying $20k-$100k fines on the public, put it on the front page, and eventually a few people will catch on and re-think their decisions.

Correct. Still a far cry from banning them from flying for life on all airlines as OP suggested...

crjflyboy
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:50 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
joeycapps wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

Correct. Still a far cry from banning them from flying for life on all airlines as OP suggested...

Play stupid games …. win stupid prizes

Elementalism

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Guy looks rough for 32 years old. Needs to lay off the sauce.

AirKevin

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:51 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Anyone that causes a flight to be diverted should be held financially liable for the associated costs to the airline and every passenger affected.

So if somebody has a heart attack and the flight gets diverted, the person who had the heart attack should be held financially liable for the associated costs to the airline and every passenger affected?
Captain Kevin

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:09 am

I was surprised to hear the FA'as story -- usually they don't talk to the press.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 am

From this article's Facebook Comments:

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-a ... passenger/

Chase Brown to Jack Kobak: You’re 100% correct. They fed him 6 Gins on the airplane. He sat next to my dad and step mom. He started grabbing my stepmoms leg, and reached over to my dad, while rubbing his arm on her breast. I switched seats with my stepmom, and then eventually he grabbed my dad by the neck, so we went to town on him. They had no handcuffs or Air Marshals on the plane. He just had to be held down until cops got on the plane. Their duct tape and baggage straps didn’t do much.

Alcohol sales is part of the airlines and their stockholders bottom line. It's not going away. It's part of the acceptable risk you take when flying.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

IPFreely

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:34 am

joeycapps wrote:
Start levying $20k-$100k fines on the public, put it on the front page, and eventually a few people will catch on and re-think their decisions.

That sounds great except almost all of the people who would end up facing $20k-$100k fines are probably broke -- you'd be hard pressed to get more than five bucks out of most of them. Very few prosecutors will spend thousands of dollars to win cases and get fines levied when everyone knows the fines will never be paid.

joeycapps

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:39 am

IPFreely wrote:
joeycapps wrote:
Start levying $20k-$100k fines on the public, put it on the front page, and eventually a few people will catch on and re-think their decisions.

That sounds great except almost all of the people who would end up facing $20k-$100k fines are probably broke -- you'd be hard pressed to get more than five bucks out of most of them. Very few prosecutors will spend thousands of dollars to win cases and get fines levied when everyone knows the fines will never be paid.

True, and I thought of that too. But the fact that you can fine them, say $20k, and then garnish their wages at a 10% rate - means that at the very least, SOME of these incidents can be avoided. Of course there's no true catch-all for these issues, but ya gotta start somewhere!