frmrCapCadet

Re: Airbus chief says it’s ready for pilotless jets as soon as public gets on board

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 am

Longer flights will have one less flight officer. Regional flights and cargo planes will have one pilot.

Res high winds. Weather forecasting is greatly improving, as is 'nowcasting'.

Any number of advanced military planes are un-flyable if their computer breaks down.

There are what?, tens of thousands of hours of high value drones flying (and landing) every month.

The future is predictable.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

n6238p

Re: Airbus chief says it’s ready for pilotless jets as soon as public gets on board

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:12 am

How many drones crash?
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

SierraPacific

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:17 am

n6238p wrote:
How many drones crash?

More than 400 that we know about since 2001 while only flying in the best conditions with more pilots and support crews than a manned airliner would ever need. It is just laughable to think that this technology is putting pilots out of work anytime soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... /database/

Astronage

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 am

n6238p wrote:
lasers and infallible ATC.

alright I guess I should go back to school and learn how to code or something.

Maybe you should. With humanity drive to automate everything, programmers might end up being the last people with jobs, at least until the damn computers have learned to write code on their own...

NYPECO

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:36 am

Out of all the many jobs there are in an airline, seems like the pilots are the last ones they'd want to replace with automation.

LDRA

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:48 am

Astronage wrote:
n6238p wrote:
lasers and infallible ATC.

alright I guess I should go back to school and learn how to code or something.

Maybe you should. With humanity drive to automate everything, programmers might end up being the last people with jobs, at least until the damn computers have learned to write code on their own...

I wouldn't count on that...

Start about ten years ago, significant portion of aerospace software source code are auto generated by computer. And the percentage is constantly increasing

LDRA

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:50 am

Blotto wrote:
Technology is there?? I highly doubt that. Having the questionable honor of working with Airbus software in the last years I have seen too much IT fails to believe for a second that they are ready for autonomous flights.
And I hope authorities feel that way too. Even for Cargo since the aircraft don't only crash over open water

Key word is "IT"

glideslope900

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:15 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
Can’t wait. This is proof technology is making the world better and more efficient.

All the talk about fatigue and early report times will go away. Drunk, sick and heart attack prone pilots go away. Airlines save $$$$

This is the future. So exciting (and strange at the number of luddites here, very weird)

And how will the automation detect the smell of fumes from an electrical fire? How will they be able to feel the sensations of the airplane? What about abnormal procedures?

CAT 3 capability is very limited (wind component).

This technology is 15-20 years away at a minimum.

speedbird52

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:21 am

SteelChair wrote:
Its going to happen, just a matter of time.

And its not just pilots, but many, many jobs. What are people gonna be doing in 50 years?

We are too focused on fixing the problem of not having enough time whilst the problem we should be working on fixing is what we do with our time.

speedbird52

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 am

glideslope900 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:
Can’t wait. This is proof technology is making the world better and more efficient.

All the talk about fatigue and early report times will go away. Drunk, sick and heart attack prone pilots go away. Airlines save $$$$

This is the future. So exciting (and strange at the number of luddites here, very weird)

And how will the automation detect the smell of fumes from an electrical fire? How will they be able to feel the sensations of the airplane? What about abnormal procedures?

CAT 3 capability is very limited (wind component).

This technology is 15-20 years away at a minimum.

I am pretty sure this technology already exists

ikramerica

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:27 am

Blotto wrote:
Technology is there?? I highly doubt that. Having the questionable honor of working with Airbus software in the last years I have seen too much IT fails to believe for a second that they are ready for autonomous flights.
And I hope authorities feel that way too. Even for Cargo since the aircraft don't only crash over open water

We already have a generation of young coders writing logic for driverless cars who don't have any experience driving a car in the first place. Public transit and Uber don't provide the real world insight into figuring out how a vehicle should behave. Yet they are trying to teach it how to deal with other drivers on the road. And they get upset when other drivers "bully" them.

I have little faith that pilotless plane software will be coded by experienced people. It will also be done by cheaper, inexperienced software developers, the kind who thought the MAX logic was just fine. Lord help us all...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

aviationaware

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:36 am

Now this is a really tricky situation for all the greens; because due to the competitiveness of the airline industry, the reduced costs would have to flow through into lower ticket prices. This would increase the amount of flying done by airlines because demand would rise. More flying = more pollution.

Oh, the pain!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos