User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9386
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:24 pm

I don't doubt it, although I don't see how a new terminal changes the economics on SLC-ICN for the better. Either it works or it doesn't. Also, amazing PDX-HND was a priority, but not SLC-HND.

He said nonstop service from Salt Lake City to Seoul, South Korea is “on our drawing board.”

Delta CEO Ed Bastian had let those plans slip in a speech here earlier this year, but later said he was simply discussing possibilities and not making any announcement.

Esposito said Delta is looking at Korean flights after completion of the new airport “because the Asian market here is fairly large.”

Delta once offered nonstop flights from Salt Lake City to Tokyo, but said the route failed largely because it then offered few connecting flights from there to other parts of Asia.

But Delta now has a partnership with Korean Air, and “they have about 50 unique destinations beyond Seoul” for connections, Esposito said.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... ines-sees/
 
x1234
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Does anyone here have PDEW data for SLC and the businesses that would support such a flight!? I know in Denver when United launched Tokyo there was ample business demand which ultimately made it successful (demand from government, telecom, etc.)
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 pm

With all the connections available in Seoul I'm sure this will do well enough. Plenty of missionaries to send out.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5207
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:11 am

x1234 wrote:
Does anyone here have PDEW data for SLC and the businesses that would support such a flight!? I know in Denver when United launched Tokyo there was ample business demand which ultimately made it successful (demand from government, telecom, etc.)


SLC-ICN numbers probably aren't large. XXX-SLC-ICN competes with Delta's own XXX-LAX-ICN and XXX-SEA-ICN. But SLC-ICN-XXX could be useful to many.

Bastian's remarks aren't new. From a CAPA citation ~four months ago:

Mr Bastian was also quoted by the publication remarking that Delta could launch a direct flight to Asia from Salt Lake City once enhancements to the international terminal are complete in the US Autumn of 2020.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:21 am

The drawing board=nothing.

It's starting to become irritating how DL in particular keeps talking about starting new routes but takes eons to launch them while cutting existing ones. Meanwhile UA keeps surprising everyone by announcing showstopper routes out of the blue like its nothing.
 
Fargo
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 am

I actually started a thread on this a few months ago, but my question is what plane will be used? This is a route that screams for the 787, but Delta doesn't own any. The A350/777 is too large and (I think?) the A330neo doesn't quite have the legs with the altitude of SLC.
 
x1234
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:30 am

I think Delta is at an advantage with the KE ICN hub. They actually serve more cities in China than any other carrier and also serve holiday cities in SE Asia that are missing from the Tokyo hub (HND/NRT) of ANA (HKT-Phuket, Thailand & DPS-Bali, Indonesia). What industries in SLC have demand to Asia? I can't think of any right now (while Portland has lots and PDX-NRT/HND works). A better bet would be for Delta to start PDX-ICN for the apparel and high tech industries (Intel, Under Armour, Nike, etc).
 
DylanHarvey
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:36 am

The neo might be able to do it. Wing is large, and even with blocked seats it will take more than the 332.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 am

Fargo wrote:
I actually started a thread on this a few months ago, but my question is what plane will be used? This is a route that screams for the 787, but Delta doesn't own any. The A350/777 is too large and (I think?) the A330neo doesn't quite have the legs with the altitude of SLC.


DL does own any 787s, but their JV partner KE does. If this route starts, it will probably be a KE 787.
 
Fargo
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:02 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Fargo wrote:
I actually started a thread on this a few months ago, but my question is what plane will be used? This is a route that screams for the 787, but Delta doesn't own any. The A350/777 is too large and (I think?) the A330neo doesn't quite have the legs with the altitude of SLC.


DL does own any 787s, but their JV partner KE does. If this route starts, it will probably be a KE 787.


But are the 787's KE owns too many seats?
 
ITSTours
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:05 am

x1234 wrote:
I think Delta is at an advantage with the KE ICN hub. They actually serve more cities in China than any other carrier and also serve holiday cities in SE Asia that are missing from the Tokyo hub (HND/NRT) of ANA (HKT-Phuket, Thailand & DPS-Bali, Indonesia). What industries in SLC have demand to Asia? I can't think of any right now (while Portland has lots and PDX-NRT/HND works). A better bet would be for Delta to start PDX-ICN for the apparel and high tech industries (Intel, Under Armour, Nike, etc).


Unlike Japan, Korea does not have a large tie with Portland or Oregon.

Apparently Samsung started making chips for Intel but that alone is not enough.
 
mandargb
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:00 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:20 am

wouldn't SJC-ICN make sense for DL, now that they are going to do it as focus city ?
 
x1234
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:24 am

I agree there's already 4x daily SFO-ICN + 5x weekly. I think the Bay Area already has overcapacity to ICN as it is. Though they could replace one of the SFO flights with SJC catering to O&D instead of SFO connections. Also can the new DL A330neo make SLC-ICN off a 12k foot runway in SLC in hot & high conditions!?
 
RollerRB211
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:29 am

mandargb wrote:
wouldn't SJC-ICN make sense for DL, now that they are going to do it as focus city ?


SJC is a focus city in name only. It's a press stunt.
 
ITSTours
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:41 am

Samsung Headquarter at Silicon Valley is super close to SJC airport, so the SJC-ICN route can certainly attract a lot of corporate travel.
Air Premia wants to launch the route (if they can ever fly) so DL can preemptively launch the route.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 am

Yes a codeshare flight utilizing a KE 787...
 
LH658
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 am

Great give some competition to UA Denver hub, though I think Denver is much of a global city, and also Colorado Springs nearby.

It great to see Delta offer different routes from non hub like SJC etc and still making profit, something UA and AA should take note of.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4350
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 am

It's connecting tow large skyteam hubs. O&D numbers probably don't matter too much. There is going to be a ton both directions of one stop xyz-slc-icn and xyz-icn-slc.

I think the biggest issue is what plane could fly it? Neither delta not Korean own a 787-800. If delta had that plane I think we would see this route today. Koreans 789 is pretty large but the best fit at the moment. Slc-nrt proved the A332 doesn't have the legs. I guess would have to be a delta 777 or Korean 789.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It's connecting tow large skyteam hubs. O&D numbers probably don't matter too much. There is going to be a ton both directions of one stop xyz-slc-icn and xyz-icn-slc.

I think the biggest issue is what plane could fly it? Neither delta not Korean own a 787-800. If delta had that plane I think we would see this route today. Koreans 789 is pretty large but the best fit at the moment. Slc-nrt proved the A332 doesn't have the legs. I guess would have to be a delta 777 or Korean 789.


No-one owns a 787-800. There is no such airplane model.

I agree that if the route is launched, a KE 787-9 is the only real viable equipment in the DL/KE JV.
 
AlexBrewster03
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:38 am

With Korean ordering more 787-9s, one could guess they would use one of those if this were to ever launch...
 
DylanHarvey
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:06 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It's connecting tow large skyteam hubs. O&D numbers probably don't matter too much. There is going to be a ton both directions of one stop xyz-slc-icn and xyz-icn-slc.

I think the biggest issue is what plane could fly it? Neither delta not Korean own a 787-800. If delta had that plane I think we would see this route today. Koreans 789 is pretty large but the best fit at the moment. Slc-nrt proved the A332 doesn't have the legs. I guess would have to be a delta 777 or Korean 789.

The A332 had the legs, it was the altitude at SLC and the fact that Pratt only delivered 68k on the engines. Not the promised 75k. The payload restrictions were too detrimental to potential profit. An 11-12hr route is the sweet spot for a 332. Not at 4500ft AMSL and 99F
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:15 am

DylanHarvey wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It's connecting tow large skyteam hubs. O&D numbers probably don't matter too much. There is going to be a ton both directions of one stop xyz-slc-icn and xyz-icn-slc.

I think the biggest issue is what plane could fly it? Neither delta not Korean own a 787-800. If delta had that plane I think we would see this route today. Koreans 789 is pretty large but the best fit at the moment. Slc-nrt proved the A332 doesn't have the legs. I guess would have to be a delta 777 or Korean 789.

The A332 had the legs, it was the altitude at SLC and the fact that Pratt only delivered 68k on the engines. Not the promised 75k. The payload restrictions were too detrimental to potential profit. An 11-12hr route is the sweet spot for a 332. Not at 4500ft AMSL and 99F


I thought I read the load factors on SLC-NRT were actually pretty good. Is that not correct?
 
DylanHarvey
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:24 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It's connecting tow large skyteam hubs. O&D numbers probably don't matter too much. There is going to be a ton both directions of one stop xyz-slc-icn and xyz-icn-slc.

I think the biggest issue is what plane could fly it? Neither delta not Korean own a 787-800. If delta had that plane I think we would see this route today. Koreans 789 is pretty large but the best fit at the moment. Slc-nrt proved the A332 doesn't have the legs. I guess would have to be a delta 777 or Korean 789.

The A332 had the legs, it was the altitude at SLC and the fact that Pratt only delivered 68k on the engines. Not the promised 75k. The payload restrictions were too detrimental to potential profit. An 11-12hr route is the sweet spot for a 332. Not at 4500ft AMSL and 99F


I thought I read the load factors on SLC-NRT were actually pretty good. Is that not correct?

I think in the high 70s, honestly not 100%. But I do know for a fact the 332 had some issues.
 
DylanHarvey
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It's connecting tow large skyteam hubs. O&D numbers probably don't matter too much. There is going to be a ton both directions of one stop xyz-slc-icn and xyz-icn-slc.

I think the biggest issue is what plane could fly it? Neither delta not Korean own a 787-800. If delta had that plane I think we would see this route today. Koreans 789 is pretty large but the best fit at the moment. Slc-nrt proved the A332 doesn't have the legs. I guess would have to be a delta 777 or Korean 789.

The A332 had the legs, it was the altitude at SLC and the fact that Pratt only delivered 68k on the engines. Not the promised 75k. The payload restrictions were too detrimental to potential profit. An 11-12hr route is the sweet spot for a 332. Not at 4500ft AMSL and 99F


I thought I read the load factors on SLC-NRT were actually pretty good. Is that not correct?

PDEW simply was a lot lower than places like PDX and DTW. I think that could be another reason.
 
mattnrsa
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:27 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:03 am

enilria wrote:
Delta once offered nonstop flights from Salt Lake City to Tokyo, but said the route failed largely because it then offered few connecting flights from there to other parts of Asia.

I wonder what that means for the seven routes to HND. Will they all survive on traffic originating and terminating in HND?
 
ITSTours
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 am

DylanHarvey wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
The A332 had the legs, it was the altitude at SLC and the fact that Pratt only delivered 68k on the engines. Not the promised 75k. The payload restrictions were too detrimental to potential profit. An 11-12hr route is the sweet spot for a 332. Not at 4500ft AMSL and 99F


I thought I read the load factors on SLC-NRT were actually pretty good. Is that not correct?

I think in the high 70s, honestly not 100%. But I do know for a fact the 332 had some issues.


2011 L/F values per month. Airport code indicates the departure city. Source US BTS.

June 0.838211621
NRT 0.865760758
SLC 0.810662485

July 0.761470588
NRT 0.943333333
SLC 0.579607843

August 0.78490711
NRT 0.921213933
SLC 0.648600288

September 0.718789997
NRT 0.827754892
SLC 0.609825103

Grand Total 0.777657285
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12196
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:06 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
XXX-SLC-ICN competes with Delta's own XXX-LAX-ICN

DL does not fly LAX-ICN


sonicruiser wrote:
It's starting to become irritating how DL in particular keeps talking about starting new routes but takes eons to launch them while cutting existing ones. Meanwhile UA keeps surprising everyone by announcing showstopper routes out of the blue like its nothing.

Odd that you can be irritated by a concept that only exists in your imagination.

But hey, I guess DL hasn't announced JFK-BOM, LAX-CDG, TPA-AMS, BOS-LIS, etc lately.
And I guess UA hasn't dropped SFO-XIY, SFO-HGH, LAX-SIN, etc lately either.


mattnrsa wrote:
I wonder what that means for the seven routes to HND. Will they all survive on traffic originating and terminating in HND?

Most of those routes have ample stateside demand and/or connections, which for the most part is what DL is going for.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9386
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:44 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
XXX-SLC-ICN competes with Delta's own XXX-LAX-ICN

DL does not fly LAX-ICN

They fly it in the same way they fly SLC-SGU. They have a financial interest in the flight through the JV. Only slightly different than a Skywest flown route that you would say was Delta.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
But hey, I guess DL hasn't announced JFK-BOM, LAX-CDG, TPA-AMS, BOS-LIS, etc lately.
And I guess UA hasn't dropped SFO-XIY, SFO-HGH, LAX-SIN, etc lately either.


JFK-BOM, LAX-CDG, and BOS-LIS are not new routes. SFO-XIY/HGH are new routes, and they have plenty more unique ones in their network such as DEN-NRT, EWR-CPT, IAH-SYD, SFO-PPT.
 
westgate
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:10 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

SLC-ICN numbers probably aren't large. XXX-SLC-ICN competes with Delta's own XXX-LAX-ICN and XXX-SEA-ICN. But SLC-ICN-XXX could be useful to many.


I would think a route like this is going to survive off primarily double-connect traffic i.e. XXX-SLC-ICN-XXX, which is what I've always assumed fills up the 4x daily DTW-AMS and 3x daily MSP-AMS flights. I can't see how XXX-DTW-AMS and DTW-AMS-XXX traffic alone could ever get close to filling up 4 flights a day.

So if sufficient connections are available on the SLC side, this could be a great way to connect small to mid-size markets in the western USA to small to mid-size Asian markets. In particular rather unique market pairs that have little to none or badly timed connecting options.
Last edited by westgate on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5207
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm

westgate wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

SLC-ICN numbers probably aren't large. XXX-SLC-ICN competes with Delta's own XXX-LAX-ICN and XXX-SEA-ICN. But SLC-ICN-XXX could be useful to many.


I would think a route like this is going to survive off primarily double-connect traffic i.e. XXX-SLC-ICN-XXX, which is what I've always assumed fills up the 4x daily DTW-AMS and 3x daily MSP-AMS flights. I can't see how XXX-DTW-AMS and DTW-AMS-XXX traffic alone could ever get close to filling up 4 flights a day.

So if sufficient connections are available on the SLC side, this could be a great way to connect small to mid-size markets in the western USA to small to mid-size Asian markets.


Double-connects face a ton of competition (there's a lot of ways to do MCI-XXX-XXX-SIN, for example) and little premium demand and so generate junk fares. It's why DL has built feed into JFK (for XXX-JFK-XXX) and ATL TATL ops.
 
jetlanta
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:35 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
The drawing board=nothing.

It's starting to become irritating how DL in particular keeps talking about starting new routes but takes eons to launch them while cutting existing ones. Meanwhile UA keeps surprising everyone by announcing showstopper routes out of the blue like its nothing.


Here is the truth...Delta outperforms the industry partly because its network is well-structured and mature. The process that AA and UA are going through is something Delta went through a decade ago. It tried a lot of the "showstopper" routes then...Kiev, Capetown, Bucharest, Cairo, etc. There was a lot of churn and eventually it settled into the slow, methodical approach you see today. The same leadership team exists in Delta Network Planning that existed there then. They've solved most of the network issues, the thorniest of which has been the Trans-Pacific. You may have seen today that they bought nearly 5% of KE.

But it is interesting that this impression exists that Delta has been asleep at the wheel. They've opened THREE new hubs and fully developed at least one new focus city in a decade. No one has seen anything like that since immediately after deregulation. That is far more bold than a few new seasonal routes.

Don't get enamored with seasonal service to exotic non-business centers. They are exciting for sure, but they rarely hold for long. Delta learned that lesson years ago, which is why it primarily focuses on connecting hubs and major business centers.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5207
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm

RollerRB211 wrote:
mandargb wrote:
wouldn't SJC-ICN make sense for DL, now that they are going to do it as focus city ?


SJC is a focus city in name only. It's a press stunt.


Check back in five years or so.
 
westgate
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Double-connects face a ton of competition (there's a lot of ways to do MCI-XXX-XXX-SIN, for example) and little premium demand and so generate junk fares. It's why DL has built feed into JFK (for XXX-JFK-XXX) and ATL TATL ops.


But then what traffic is responsible for filling up all those DTW-AMS and MSP-AMS flights ? Double connects may not make up the majority of traffic on those routes, but they would have to be of a significant amount to allow for that many flights.

If Delta can replicate the runaway success of those hub to hub routes that were established some 20 years ago with the old NW/KLM partnership, that are undoubtedly supported by double-connects, then this route should be a success. I have no idea however if there's ultimately the same traffic volume between the US and Asia as opposed to the US and Europe, especially between small and medium sized markets.

And MCI-XXX-XXX-SIN is a mid size to large market. I'm thinking more about MCI-XXX-XXX-TAO/SHE/DLC/XIY/CGO/HGH/CSX/XMN.
 
tphuang
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:02 pm

westgate wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Double-connects face a ton of competition (there's a lot of ways to do MCI-XXX-XXX-SIN, for example) and little premium demand and so generate junk fares. It's why DL has built feed into JFK (for XXX-JFK-XXX) and ATL TATL ops.


But then what traffic is responsible for filling up all those DTW-AMS and MSP-AMS flights ? Double connects may not make up the majority of traffic on those routes, but they would have to be of a significant amount to allow for that many flights.

If Delta can replicate the runaway success of those hub to hub routes that were established some 20 years ago with the old NW/KLM partnership, that are undoubtedly supported by double-connects, then this route should be a success. I have no idea however if there's ultimately the same traffic volume between the US and Asia as opposed to the US and Europe, especially between small and medium sized markets.

And MCI-XXX-XXX-SIN is a mid size to large market. I'm thinking more about MCI-XXX-XXX-TAO/SHE/DLC/XIY/CGO/HGH/CSX/XMN.


The last part is quite possibly the lowest yielding markets you can find. middle of america to mainland china VFR traffic is super price sensitive.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1227
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:14 pm

mandargb wrote:
wouldn't SJC-ICN make sense for DL, now that they are going to do it as focus city ?


This is what I’ve been wondering. And it looks like KE is a partner, so DL could utilize the route without using its own metal. Wasn’t there a rumor a year or two ago about KE wanting to start SJC-ICN?

As for SLC, does the O/D matter as much, being a DL hub?

Edit, add: and then then I see this

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1425207
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3247
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:24 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
The drawing board=nothing.

It's starting to become irritating how DL in particular keeps talking about starting new routes but takes eons to launch them while cutting existing ones. Meanwhile UA keeps surprising everyone by announcing showstopper routes out of the blue like its nothing.


I agree. You can see how DL holds their captive hub cities by a string. The talk is always "maybe", often contingent on something else happening first. Even long-plausible hub-to-hub routes get treated as if it would be some bombshell launch doing a favor to the local community. And then when a route is launched, the positive announcement is used to bury a route cancellation somewhere else. Meanwhile competitors add truly surprising routes and don't have to play them up for years beforehand, or use them as a cover for a route cut.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7229
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Please - everyone makes network adjustments don't this sound like this is just a DL thing.

Example - AA
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx
 
ITSTours
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 pm

I don't know 251T A330neo can fly SLC-ICN, its performance is to be seen.

Which market does SLC serve that SEA and MSP do not serve or serve with large circuity? I don't see a lot of them. That being said, when MSP load factor saturates and Delta wants another connection point it may be SLC.
 
EddieDude
Posts: 6964
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:25 pm

x1234 wrote:
I think Delta is at an advantage with the KE ICN hub. They actually serve more cities in China than any other carrier

Destinations in the People's Republic of China, I believe, are not comprised within the scope of the DL-KE partnership. DL has its own partnership with MU for the Chinese market. Therefore, while it will be possible to book U.S.A- ICN-P.R.C. flights on KE, the China legs of those flights are neither an advantage nor a priority for DL.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1348
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Isn’t that part of Bastian‘s town hall? Soon we will be flying from “site of meeting” to “ foreign destination”.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
airzona11
Posts: 1480
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:37 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
The neo might be able to do it. Wing is large, and even with blocked seats it will take more than the 332.


NEO sized plane would only be used to chase the O/D. SLC-ICN-XXX traffic needs a bigger plane with lower CASM.
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 pm

ITSTours wrote:
I don't know 251T A330neo can fly SLC-ICN, its performance is to be seen.

Which market does SLC serve that SEA and MSP do not serve or serve with large circuity? I don't see a lot of them. That being said, when MSP load factor saturates and Delta wants another connection point it may be SLC.


Who would have thunk it at the end of the Korean War? Salt Lake City daily nonstop to Seoul!
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7229
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:57 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Isn’t that part of Bastian‘s town hall? Soon we will be flying from “site of meeting” to “ foreign destination”.

That is true for every airline when they do townhalls, roadshows, and business/economic club meetings.

Always have to rally the troops, get good PR at these rah-rah sessions.
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3280
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:07 pm

What about ATL-SLC-HKG with a 77L?
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12196
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:34 am

sonicruiser wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
But hey, I guess DL hasn't announced JFK-BOM, LAX-CDG, TPA-AMS, BOS-LIS, etc lately.
And I guess UA hasn't dropped SFO-XIY, SFO-HGH, LAX-SIN, etc lately either.

JFK-BOM, LAX-CDG, and BOS-LIS are not new routes.

The latter two are new routes for DL, they can't control that others have done them before.


sonicruiser wrote:
SFO-XIY/HGH are new routes

And also failed routes, thus what's your point?


sonicruiser wrote:
and they have plenty more unique ones in their network such as DEN-NRT, EWR-CPT, IAH-SYD, SFO-PPT.

Only one of which (IAH-SYD) is a new metro-pair. The rest have all been done before by others. If you're going to make an "argument," at least be consistent.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12196
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:36 am

enilria wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
XXX-SLC-ICN competes with Delta's own XXX-LAX-ICN

DL does not fly LAX-ICN

They fly it in the same way they fly SLC-SGU. They have a financial interest in the flight through the JV. Only slightly different than a Skywest flown route that you would say was Delta.

Not an equivalent comparison.

DL can control what SkyWest does on a contract route. They can input into what KE does, and adjust in reciprocation; but they do not have authoritative control even within the context of a JV.


compensateme wrote:
What about ATL-SLC-HKG with a 77L?

Extremely low O&D, high altitude origin, to a city DL's never before been able to figure out, with connections on only one side.

Would be easier to just pour gas onto cash then toss a match.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 9386
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
enilria wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
DL does not fly LAX-ICN

They fly it in the same way they fly SLC-SGU. They have a financial interest in the flight through the JV. Only slightly different than a Skywest flown route that you would say was Delta.

Not an equivalent comparison.

DL can control what SkyWest does on a contract route. They can input into what KE does, and adjust in reciprocation; but they do not have authoritative control even within the context of a JV.

If you talk to AF/KL they will tell you that DL also can control the JV routes. Here's how they do it. The agreements allow the other party to veto service increases. Generally, DL doesn't approve capacity increases (to keep fares up) and the partner continuously proposes capacity increases because the margins on the routes that have the JV are typically much higher than the partner's other routes and thus the partner wants to add capacity. In this way DL controls the JV.

Also, you are incorrect that DL can control what SkyWest does. Something like 40+ routes are now OO at risk which means DL has much less involvement in that than they do in a JV with KE or AF or KL.
 
kimimm19
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:57 pm

How nice would that be?

SLC is just a nice little airport that is much more comfortable to transfer through than these over crowded mega hubs.
 
jubguy3
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:18 am

Re: DL CEO Says SLC-ICN "On Our Drawing Board"

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 pm

I’ll give a little perspective on the situation in SLC - gates are going to continue to close and open but overall there will be a capacity decrease. O/D is up but connecting traffic is actually being cut from SLC which is where I imagine the majority of the revenue will be made. I imagine that with the opening of the airport there will be significantly improved international capacity. There are signs around the airport advertising “more international gates”, so I would expect the new route to coincide with the opening of the new airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos