Seabear
Topic Author

Parents of Children With Food Allergies - D.O.T. considers severe allergies a disability

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Boarding Now: Parents of Children With Food Allergies https://nyti.ms/2KpX2ob

Legit concern, or hysterical overreaction (pun intended)? How can any airline guarantee a 100% nut-free environment?

Cubsrule

Re: Parents of Children With Food Allergies - D.O.T. considers severe allergies a disability

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 pm

I have a child with severe food allergies, but no peanut allergy, so I'm more than a little torn on this. We sometimes have to be pretty careful flying because her most severe allergy is to bananas, which are served a fair amount, but through that care we've never had an issue on an airplane. We usually have pretty good luck asking people around us to be mindful with the problematic foods. I'm skeptical that there is any problem that cannot be solved by conscientious parenting. Surely there is no evidence that a child in Row 5 can have a reaction because of a bag of peanuts in Row 25, and I'm not sure there's even evidence that a bag of peanuts in Row 7 or 8 would be a problem.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jaybird

Re: Parents of Children With Food Allergies - D.O.T. considers severe allergies a disability

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30 pm

This isn't just going to affect airlines ..

WayexTDI

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Hysterical overreaction I think.

And this is going to backfire real quick.
If the crew allows the affected parents to preboard so they can clean the area, what will happen if another passenger is allergic to the wipes used?

This is opening Pandora's box.

I'm going to get scalded, but here's my opinion: if you need special accommodation to a place due to a food allergy, then you should not be in that place. Inconvenience the majority for the comfort of the few...
Remember: there are alternative means of transportation than flying.

Aesma

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Of course the obsession with excessive hygiene is probably the cause of the allergy to begin with.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

robsaw

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm

The ruling is actually providing people with severe allergies with a false sense of security. The airline can provide a reasonable level of accommodation for the purposes of "wiping-down" a space but that provides no control over other passengers or the totality of the environment. I don't see this is opening a Pandora's box, although I could be wrong given the absurdity of what's happened with emotional support animals.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos