Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Spirit Airlines to increase Las Vegas capacity nearly 50% in July 2019 compared to July 2017

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Article is behind a paywall.

With this kind of growth, LAS would become a decently sized hub for NK at 7 million passengers per year - bigger than UA was in CLE, and bigger than AA in DCA and JFK.

https://centreforaviation.com/news/spir ... ars-914545
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

wnflyguy

Re: Spirit Airlines to increase Las Vegas capacity nearly 50% over two years

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 pm

They are in the process of redoing the 7 vacant gates in terminal A which will bring them to 15 gates in LAS.
In 2020 I've heard there adding SNA,RNO,TUS,COS and ABQ.

Flyguy

lightsaber

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:00 pm

There go my dreams of a JetBlue hub at LAS. G4 will be pressured.

Lightsaber

jplatts

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:52 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

I agree that NK adding LAS-SNA, LAS-RNO, LAS-TUS, LAS-COS, and LAS-ABQ nonstop service will likely happen if NK adds service to LAS, RNO, TUS, COS, and ABQ.

In addition, NK adding LAS-CLT, LAS-PHX, and LAS-RDU nonstop service will probably happen as CLT, PHX, and RDU are three of the largest markets currently served by NK that don't currently have nonstop service to LAS on NK.

msycajun

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 pm

I suspect this is a misquote from NK's press release yesterday:

"As of July 2019, Spirit will have grown nearly 50 percent in Las Vegas compared to its capacity only two years earlier. "

In other words, NK has grown 50% over the past two years, not that they are growing 50% over the next two years.

DFW17L

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 pm

I think I’ll pitch a new reality TV show idea called, “Passengers Behaving Badly” to some Hollywood-types. I just have to buy a few seats to/from LAS on Spirit,
setup my cameras, etc. With the increased frequency, I’ll get some good content fairly quickly.

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:06 pm

jplatts wrote:
In addition, NK adding LAS-CLT, LAS-PHX, and LAS-RDU nonstop service will probably happen as CLT, PHX, and RDU are three of the largest markets currently served by NK that don't currently have nonstop service to LAS on NK.

Are you thinking that capacity by competitors is irrelevant? PHX-LAS sees 5x by AA and 10x by WN on Friday, 6/26. RDU gets 1X F9 and 1x WN.

jplatts

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:49 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Are you thinking that capacity by competitors is irrelevant? PHX-LAS sees 5x by AA and 10x by WN on Friday, 6/26. RDU gets 1X F9 and 1x WN.

While I do agree that capacity by competitors is relevant, it was mentioned that NK is planning on adding additional nonstop routes out of RDU in the in the Raleigh/Durham Aviation thread (source: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411895&start=350#p21331689). I could see NK possibly adding LAS-RDU nonstop service with NK having already added nonstop service to LAS from other new NK destinations.

NK adding LAS-PHX nonstop service might happen as NK has recently added nonstop service to LAS from other destinations in the Western U.S. such as BUR and SMF that already have a lot of nonstop service to LAS on competitors.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:50 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I’ve heard RIC, RDU (might have already happened?), MSY, and CVG.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:51 pm

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I’ve always wanted to take a multi-airline connection on JetBlue and JetsuiteX through LAS!

compensateme

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:44 pm

msycajun wrote:
I suspect this is a misquote from NK's press release yesterday:

"As of July 2019, Spirit will have grown nearly 50 percent in Las Vegas compared to its capacity only two years earlier. "

In other words, NK has grown 50% over the past two years, not that they are growing 50% over the next two years.

The article the OP links to discusses NK's growth over the past two years: "Spirit Airlines reported (20-Jun-2019) it will increase Las Vegas capacity by nearly 50% in Jul-2019, compared to Jul-2017." Me thinks the OP saw the title (but not the article behind the paywall) and started this thread, but it needs updated...

flymco753

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:17 pm

DFW17L wrote:
I think I’ll pitch a new reality TV show idea called, “Passengers Behaving Badly” to some Hollywood-types. I just have to buy a few seats to/from LAS on Spirit,
setup my cameras, etc. With the increased frequency, I’ll get some good content fairly quickly.
They had a show like that, it was Airline USA.

tphuang

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I’ve always wanted to take a multi-airline connection on JetBlue and JetsuiteX through LAS!

LAS is turning into a pretty big operation for JSX. Not going to happen for B6 though. WN + NK competition is too much for them. B6's cost is too high to make it happen.

OKCDCA

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
They are in the process of redoing the 7 vacant gates in terminal A which will bring them to 15 gates in LAS.

Flyguy

Just curious where you've heard these new city rumors? I was at a COS tourism meeting the other day where the question was brought up of new air service and the person speaking said there was nothing on the horizon. They weren't with the airport but somebody who would know. Unless it's being kept quiet...

bridge29

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:12 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Just curious where you've heard these new city rumors? I was at a COS tourism meeting the other day where the question was brought up of new air service and the person speaking said there was nothing on the horizon. They weren't with the airport but somebody who would know. Unless it's being kept quiet...

I've followed "wnflyguy" for some time now on this board. He posts 100% rumors and hearsay. Nothing concrete ever from his posts.

compensateme

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:19 pm

bridge29 wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I've followed "wnflyguy" for some time now on this board. He posts 100% rumors and hearsay. Nothing concrete ever from his posts.

Sure, if you want to rationalize stuff he makes up as rumors... the WN schedule extension threads use to be painful to read...

Bobloblaw

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 pm

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

for the most part I don’t think they will serve the same cities. More like WN will be pressured. Spirit still doesn’t do a lot of smaller markets less than daily

CLT704

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

CLT-LAS will soon be 6 daily on AA. F9 starts in a few weeks with 1 daily flight to Vegas.

Would love to see NK do CLT-LAS, but not betting on it.

tzadik

Re: Spirit Airlines to increase Las Vegas capacity nearly 50% in July 2019 compared to July 2017

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:40 pm

NK is definitely not growing in a hurry.... one can still hear the crickets chirping from Le Bourget.

wedgetail737

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:18 am

jplatts wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

I agree that NK adding LAS-SNA, LAS-RNO, LAS-TUS, LAS-COS, and LAS-ABQ nonstop service will likely happen if NK adds service to LAS, RNO, TUS, COS, and ABQ.

Doesn't NK have to apply for "slots" at SNA?

Editing

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:12 am

bridge29 wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Only untrue part is using the gates they have now and the unused A gates . They are just moving to the A gates while the B gates they use go under construction .

chunhimlai

Re: Spirit Airlines to increase Las Vegas capacity nearly 50% in July 2019 compared to July 2017

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:57 am

Do LAS need new runway and terminal?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos