Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
FARmd90
Topic Author
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:56 pm

According to Cape Air’s Facebook page they will be starting 4 daily PWM-BOS starting Sept. 18.

I think this will be a nice like to have for those people that like to travel on jetblue but lose the option now that PWM-JFK is seasonal. They can book a cape air flight and jump over to B6 very easily. I think this route will do well.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8270
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:53 pm

That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5331
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Would they start btv bos?

That could be the right size capacity for the market.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14571
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:09 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.


I dunno. With Boston being the economic and cultural capital of New England, there’s probably a decent amount of O&D, some of which will fly if given the chance. The aircraft aren’t huge; 30 or 40 PDEW O&D would probably be more than enough even without any connecting passengers.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
CairnterriAIR
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:52 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:09 am

Cubsrule wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.


I dunno. With Boston being the economic and cultural capital of New England, there’s probably a decent amount of O&D, some of which will fly if given the chance. The aircraft aren’t huge; 30 or 40 PDEW O&D would probably be more than enough even without any connecting passengers.


That and the JetBlue codeshare, a large network of destination choices open up for passengers connecting through Boston....eventually transatlantic once B6 starts that.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10177
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.


Are you saying BOS is not a major hub? :)
But Cape Air is based in BOS. PWM is just another route from BOS. So now you can add BOS to that list of available hubs. I don't see that as being very 1982. In fact given the growth at BOS it is very 2019 i think.
 
zrs70
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:25 am

Sigh - I remember when Delta had 757's BOS-PWM. But those days are long gone!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.

Why is connecting at any of those airports better than connecting in BOS?
 
PVD757
Posts: 3285
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:35 am

Just for clarification, Cape Air is based in HYA, not BOS.
 
FARmd90
Topic Author
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:57 am

I understand that codeshare partners can’t tell each other what to do and how to price etc. but in wondering B6 gave Cape Air the “idea” to do this route being that PWM is seasonal it gives B6 a way to keep their foot in the door for the whole year and still be relevant to the PWM market. Cape Air has done something similar with JFK-ACK in the off season connecting to B6 flights and I highly doubt we would of seen them try that route on their own doing.
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:09 am

I’m surprised 9K doesn’t do seasonal runs up to Sunday River or Sugarloaf. Maybe they can’t fit people’s skis in the plane. Maybe their new plane can.
 
Chuska
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:08 am

PWM had over 20 flights per day to BOS back in the '90s, including DL 727's and 757's as mentioned above. Amazing how this market completely vanished. Hope the best that Cape Air can revive it somewhat!
 
737tanker
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:47 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:00 am

On 9/11 the Terrorists that hijacked the BOS flights arrived into BOS on a flight that originated in PWM.
 
33lspotter
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
I dunno. With Boston being the economic and cultural capital of New England, there’s probably a decent amount of O&D, some of which will fly if given the chance. The aircraft aren’t huge; 30 or 40 PDEW O&D would probably be more than enough even without any connecting passengers.


This. As someone who grew up in Maine, lived in Massachusetts for 4 years, and moved back to Maine, all while working in the private sector, I am pretty sure that there is enough business done between the two cities that executives on both sides would fly and save an hour (even considering TSA and traffic on both sides). Corporations (even in Maine!) shell out plenty of money for transcons and internationals, so if they can get their guy back sooner for say $185 RT (guesstimate, I would imagine walk-ups would be higher) then they might well do it.

Interestingly enough, B6 sent the A320 to PWM today. I am guessing it is a one-off.
 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:59 pm

That's interesting. PWM hasn't had any service to BOS in about 15 years. BEX use to fly hourly, as well as US Air Express with multiple flights per days. And DL maineline mid 90s and earlier.

33lspotter wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
I dunno. With Boston being the economic and cultural capital of New England, there’s probably a decent amount of O&D, some of which will fly if given the chance. The aircraft aren’t huge; 30 or 40 PDEW O&D would probably be more than enough even without any connecting passengers.


This. As someone who grew up in Maine, lived in Massachusetts for 4 years, and moved back to Maine, all while working in the private sector, I am pretty sure that there is enough business done between the two cities that executives on both sides would fly and save an hour (even considering TSA and traffic on both sides). Corporations (even in Maine!) shell out plenty of money for transcons and internationals, so if they can get their guy back sooner for say $185 RT (guesstimate, I would imagine walk-ups would be higher) then they might well do it.

Interestingly enough, B6 sent the A320 to PWM today. I am guessing it is a one-off.



When I worked for DL at PWM, when they flew to BOS, there was very little O/D traffic.. It was mostly connecting passengers. Doesn't make any sense to fly to BOS. An hour to check in, 45 minutes in the air, then another half hour or fourty five minutes to get off the plane to a taxi/uber/subway to get into town. You can drive quicker.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4798
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm

I think is mostly so Jetblue can serve the airport seasonally, and those passengers have an option the rest of the year. Not too big a deal
 
zrs70
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Just to add .... one of my fav flights was UA BGR-PWM-ORD. Love the quick BGR-PWM segment!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14571
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:17 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
That's interesting. PWM hasn't had any service to BOS in about 15 years. BEX use to fly hourly, as well as US Air Express with multiple flights per days. And DL maineline mid 90s and earlier.

33lspotter wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
I dunno. With Boston being the economic and cultural capital of New England, there’s probably a decent amount of O&D, some of which will fly if given the chance. The aircraft aren’t huge; 30 or 40 PDEW O&D would probably be more than enough even without any connecting passengers.


This. As someone who grew up in Maine, lived in Massachusetts for 4 years, and moved back to Maine, all while working in the private sector, I am pretty sure that there is enough business done between the two cities that executives on both sides would fly and save an hour (even considering TSA and traffic on both sides). Corporations (even in Maine!) shell out plenty of money for transcons and internationals, so if they can get their guy back sooner for say $185 RT (guesstimate, I would imagine walk-ups would be higher) then they might well do it.

Interestingly enough, B6 sent the A320 to PWM today. I am guessing it is a one-off.



When I worked for DL at PWM, when they flew to BOS, there was very little O/D traffic.. It was mostly connecting passengers. Doesn't make any sense to fly to BOS. An hour to check in, 45 minutes in the air, then another half hour or fourty five minutes to get off the plane to a taxi/uber/subway to get into town. You can drive quicker.


I'm thinking it mostly makes sense for downtown-downtown traffic because of traffic and parking issues in Boston. That's admittedly just a fraction of the overall demand but we also aren't talking about a lot of seats.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
bnatraveler
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:10 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think is mostly so Jetblue can serve the airport seasonally, and those passengers have an option the rest of the year. Not too big a deal


I do not believe that CapeAIr and JetBlue have anti-trust immunity, nor is CapeAir acting as a contract carrier to JetBlue. This means that if CapeAir is launching the flight then they must have their own commercial insight as to the revenue opportunity offered by these flights.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5008
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.

Why is connecting at any of those airports better than connecting in BOS?

Cus you don’t have to take a freaking twin Cessna
 
ScottB
Posts: 7061
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm

33lspotter wrote:
This. As someone who grew up in Maine, lived in Massachusetts for 4 years, and moved back to Maine, all while working in the private sector, I am pretty sure that there is enough business done between the two cities that executives on both sides would fly and save an hour (even considering TSA and traffic on both sides). Corporations (even in Maine!) shell out plenty of money for transcons and internationals, so if they can get their guy back sooner for say $185 RT (guesstimate, I would imagine walk-ups would be higher) then they might well do it.


Nah, there's no way that flying is remotely time-competitive with driving for O&D passengers. You still have to drive to PWM, get there at least 30 minutes in advance to ensure you can clear security, gate-to-gate time will probably be 45 minutes to an hour, and then get a cab from Eastie to your destination. By that point you could have just driven and gone on your own schedule; the drive time is a lot more predictable without backups at the Hampton Tolls.

And if you really don't want to drive, the Downeaster is $78 round-trip for a business class seat.
 
B752OS
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Portland has become pretty trendy over the last 5-6 years for people to go up for a weekend, or a long weekend. Good restaurants. Good breweries. Nice little city to walk around and hangout in for a day or two. Adding this air service makes sense to take advantage of people who would rather fly than drive and also have some nice connections for those in the Portland area and the rest of Maine. Apart from cost considerations, I would much rather fly say PWM-BOS-CDG than PWM-DTW/PHL/EWR-CDG.
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:44 pm

airbazar wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.


Are you saying BOS is not a major hub? :)
But Cape Air is based in BOS. PWM is just another route from BOS. So now you can add BOS to that list of available hubs. I don't see that as being very 1982. In fact given the growth at BOS it is very 2019 i think.


I live in southern Maine and most people I know would probably prefer to drive or bus down to BOS rather than taking a feeder flight. Let's see how it works out.
 
Blueknows
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:28 pm

So the airbus was because some E190s were out of service. They have extra airbus just in case E190s have to go out of service. Your right B6 is to play with this PWM-BOS cape air route. Just like the JFK-ACK flight. They had them hold the slot for them. They are having PWM run by cape air. This way during summer season B6 can contract out station to cape air. This saves B6 money and they don’t have to staff it with B6 employees. They have been having hard time getting B6 employees to work seasonally in PWM.
 
33lspotter
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 am

ScottB wrote:
And if you really don't want to drive, the Downeaster is $78 round-trip for a business class seat.


If the Downeaster was a bit faster (equal to or faster than the bus) that would be a serious option, as business is a level above the comfort of A. the normal seats and B. the bus. Alas, 2 1/2 hours is not remotely competitive even with the bus. I personally prefer the DE over the bus, big time.

I do agree that it is not time competitive at face value, but I still think there are people who would use it. Plus there's much more variability in terms of traffic driving 100 miles down (95 and taking 1 over the Tobin) than getting from Eastie to Boston (5 miles). That said, I do not think that O&D alone will sustain the flight. The BIGGER draw to a 9K PWM-BOS flight is the B6 connections, of course. My company's head honcho recently took a B6 flight out of BOS, a transcon I'm pretty sure. Assuming it is remotely price competitive with the direct transcon, I think he would gladly go through PWM security, fly to BOS, stay gateside and get his connection to, say, LAX, rather than drive to BOS and deal with Logan traffic and security. Plus, even considering time in the airport and on a short flight allows for some work to be done en route to BOS, while driving cannot boast that luxury.

For what it's worth, I flew out of Logan pretty much every month for four years, and I really don't think it's that bad in terms of traffic or lines. That said, many people in Maine seem to think flying out of BOS is a nightmare, and when Portland "traffic" is the stereotypical level of traffic (far below Boston traffic, all things equal) then it's understandable why.
 
Aliqiout
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Cape Air to start PWM-BOS

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:46 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
That kind of thinking is, for PWM, very 1982, before PWM had non-stops to major hubs... everything required a connection in BOS. Today (and I mean today's schedules) there are non-stops to PHL, DTW, JFK, EWR, LGA, BWI, IAD, DCA, CLT, RDU, ATL, ORD and DEN. The heck with connections.

Why is connecting at any of those airports better than connecting in BOS?

Cus you don’t have to take a freaking twin Cessna

What's wrong with Cessna for a 95 mile flight? Although if the flights dont arive on the secure side in BOS a bit of the utility is lost.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos