afcjets
Topic Author

Southwest Airlines retro jet?

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:44 pm

I had no idea WN had a retrojet but I saw a WN yellow and orange jet takeoff today and it seems it's been 15 years since they changed their look and they have done it twice since then.

seb146

Re: Southwest Airlines retro jet?

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 pm

I miss air traffic.

Anyway, there are two, apparently. N714CB and N711HK. My question is: When will they come up with a TranStar retro jet?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

KentB27

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:15 pm

The "desert gold" livery is my favorite WN livery. I wish they had stuck with that and evolved it from there. It was so unique and daring and the colors fit with their name very well. I believe that there were trying to recreate the colors of the desert southwest in America and it definitely looks the part. I always thought that the "canyon blue" scheme was a huge downgrade although they've admittedly improved it a lot with their latest livery.

wnflyguy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:31 pm

seb146 wrote:
I miss air traffic.

Anyway, there are two, apparently. N714CB and N711HK. My question is: When will they come up with a TranStar retro jet?

Never.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

seb146

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:32 pm

I never heard why they got the name "Southwest" when they started off flying only in Texas and are based at DAL.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NYPECO

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:39 pm

seb146 wrote:
I never heard why they got the name "Southwest" when they started off flying only in Texas and are based at DAL.

Texas is often considered part of the US Southwest for some reason.

SXDFC

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:55 pm

N711 and N714 are the two retro jets.. N714 is rumored to be repainted into the heart livery if or when it gets repainted.. Since these two are the older of the 700s in the fleet, they’re likely to be leaving in the next few years.

N766UA

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:58 pm

NYPECO wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Because it's far to the southwest of the major city centers of the east coast, which is what the country used to be before adding 37 more states (including Texas.) It's also effectively the westernmost southern state.

jetmatt777

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:17 pm

N766UA wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Because it's far to the southwest of the major city centers of the east coast, which is what the country used to be before adding 37 more states (including Texas.) It's also effectively the westernmost southern state.

Yep. Just like the Midwest is Chicago, St Louis, etc. while geographically speaking Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas etc. would be the Midwest.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

barney captain

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:10 pm

N766UA wrote:
It's also effectively the westernmost southern state.

I'm fairly certain that honor goes to Hawaii.

We finally earned our name. :)
Southeast Of Disorder

Cubsrule

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:04 am

barney captain wrote:
N766UA wrote:

Best post today.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

OzarkD9S

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:12 am

Didn't they used to keep 3 planes in the original livery to signify their first 3 cities served: Dallas, Houston and San Antonio? What happened to the third?
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:36 am

barney captain wrote:
N766UA wrote:

I think he's referring to the Confederate States as the South. But geographically soaking Hawaii is the southern and western most state lol.

Going back to Texas, it seems like the Dallas are is the biggest on the southwestern mantra, even though it's in the northeast part of the state and closer to Oklahoma and Arkansas than it is to most Texas population centers.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

einsteinboricua

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:05 am

If we're gonna get technical, the only way the Desert Gold livery becomes "retro" is if they spell the entire airline name on the back as the first jets did.

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ScottB

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:41 am

seb146 wrote:

Texas was historically considered to be part of the Southwestern U.S. The local Bell telephone company was Southwestern Bell (later SBC, and that company through many acquisitions including its former parent is now AT&T). Southwestern University is in Georgetown, Texas. The now-defunct Southwest Conference in college sports was all Texas teams along with the University of Arkansas. There was a large bank in Houston named Bank of the Southwest up until the mid-1980s.

It's like asking why Northwest Airlines had hubs in Detroit and Minneapolis; historically that region was the Northwest.

mwmav8r01

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:14 am

SXDFC wrote:
N711 and N714 are the two retro jets.. N714 is rumored to be repainted into the heart livery if or when it gets repainted.. Since these two are the older of the 700s in the fleet, they’re likely to be leaving in the next few years.

I thought we had a 3rd. But it might have been painted.

SXDFC

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:27 am

mwmav8r01 wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

I thought we had a 3rd. But it might have been painted.

A/C 792 was repainted into the “Heart Livery” in 2016.

KentB27

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:10 am

NYPECO wrote:

If you think about it, a large portion of Texas has a lot more in common with southwestern region of the United States than the southern or midwestern regions. San Antonio, Laredo, and El Paso are very much more aligned with the southwestern United States culturally and even to some extent geographically. I think both the geographic and cultural proximity to Mexico is why Texas is often considered as part of the southwestern US.

Chuska

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Since we squashed the rumor of a TransStar retro jet in remark 4, guess that means we'll most likely not see a Morris Air or AirTran retro either.

737tanker

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:58 pm

That would be a big NO. Also we’ll be lucky if they keep the 2 Classic Southwest color or any of the Canyon Blue.

Chuska

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 pm

Aw, Southwest! Where's the LUV?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos