gregorous
Topic Author

AC Passenger left on plane at remote stand at YYZ

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:23 am

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/21/73493047 ... ium=social

Sounds terrifying, some strange numbers in the article though. A 40-50 foot drop to the ground? I chalk that up to her panicked state. Very unfortunate, and crazy to think crew overlooked her!

Bradin

Re: AC Passenger left on plane at remote stand at YYZ

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:35 am

For those curious about height:

A320: Page 38 and 39: https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corp ... C-A320.pdf
A321: Page 41 and 42: https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corp ... C-A321.pdf

ojjunior

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:03 am

"I haven't got much sleep since the reoccurring night terrors and waking up anxious and afraid I'm alone locked up someplace dark,"

Clearly oriented by some jail door low profile lawyer to get some AC money.

questions

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 am

ojjunior wrote:
"I haven't got much sleep since the reoccurring night terrors and waking up anxious and afraid I'm alone locked up someplace dark,"

Of course she couldn’t just find humor in the situation, have a good laugh and appreciate the story she will have to tell at cocktail parties for the rest of her life.

I’m doubting her story.
- She slept through landing, announcements, taxiing, bins opening and closing, deboarding
- FA’s didn’t see her
- Phone was dead... she didn’t think to plug it in during flight — she was too sleepy to think straight
- She rummaged through the cockpit looking for a flashlight when one is right above the FA jumps seats at the exit door
- And it was 50 feet to the ground! :roll:

Perhaps:

1) She planned this and camped out unnoticed in the lav or curled up on the floor between rows.

2) She’s a total nut case who popped meds prior to the flight and is looking for someone to compensate her for her own lack of responsibility.

ewt340

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:15 am

questions wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Of course she couldn’t just find humor in the situation, have a good laugh and appreciate the story she will have to tell at cocktail parties for the rest of her life.

I’m doubting her story.
- She slept through landing, announcements, taxiing, bins opening and closing, deboarding
- FA’s didn’t see her
- Phone was dead... she didn’t think to plug it in during flight — she was too sleepy to think straight
- She rummaged through the cockpit looking for a flashlight when one is right above the FA jumps seats at the exit door

Perhaps:

1) She planned this and camped out unnoticed in the lav or curled up on the floor between rows.

2) She’s a total nut case who popped meds prior to the flight and is looking for someone to compensate her for her own lack of responsibility.

So all of your probability is that it's her own fault and not the fault of the FAs or the cleaning crew who for some reason didn't see her at all during the deboarding and the cleaning service?

I'll say give her 5 million instead. Also I'm pretty sure you wouldn't scared to jump of 4 story building either.

smi0006

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:26 am

questions wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

I’m doubting her story.
- FA’s didn’t see her

Perhaps:

I agree - I think it’s hilarious. I’d be quiet happy sharing this story with some self depreciating humour!! I’d have armed the door and slid out. As a goodwill gesture AC could give her a free flight or upgrade- but that’s the end of it. Really she fell asleep - her own fault!

In saying that don’t AC do a post landing check for lost property? I’d say far more to this story.

ewt340

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:32 am

smi0006 wrote:
questions wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

I’m doubting her story.
- FA’s didn’t see her

Perhaps:

I agree - I think it’s hilarious. I’d be quiet happy sharing this story with some self depreciating humour!! I’d have armed the door and slid out. As a goodwill gesture AC could give her a free flight or upgrade- but that’s the end of it. Really she fell asleep - her own fault!

In saying that don’t AC do a post landing check for lost property? I’d say far more to this story.

Jesus Christ. The fact that it's AC responsibility to check their aircraft and y'all still trying to blame her....

I don't think rational person would think like you two. It's too illogical.

chepos

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:35 am

How was she not seen during the cleaning/security checks- assuming both of these had already been completed? How did the crew miss her, they are to ensure everyone if off when exiting the aircraft and no crew is present. So many missing links in this story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

gatibosgru

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:08 am

ewt340 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
questions wrote:

I’m doubting her story.
- FA’s didn’t see her

Perhaps:

Jesus Christ. The fact that it's AC responsibility to check their aircraft and y'all still trying to blame her....

True A.net fashion.

Pax "inconveniences" airline: "They should know better, follow the rules and just comply!"

Airline screws up and a pax is inconvenienced: "They're clearly just looking for money"
@DadCelo

MeCe

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:47 am

questions wrote:
Perhaps:

Certain :

AC crew did not follow rules.

bennett123

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:56 am

Regardless, her story doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Her account indicates that she was in her seat when she woke up in the dark.

How come no one, passenger, crew or ground staff saw her.

The plane landed, normally with a fair bump and she slept on.

The other passengers deplaned, hardly a quite time and she slept on.

Those meds must be pretty strong.

dampfnudel

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:16 am

Something doesn’t sound right to me about this. I can’t imagine AC staff being this incompetent.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

Bradin

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:31 am

Mistakes happen, especially when it is exhausted and its the last flight of the day. When one is mentally exhausted, we can hallucinate or see things that are not there - like an empty chair.

Aptivaboy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:51 am

Something doesn’t sound right to me about this. I can’t imagine AC staff being this incompetent.

And yet, there she was. So, either she was really adept at hiding in an overhead bin (which wasn't cleaned so she wasn't noticed) or a lav (which wasn't cleaned so she wasn't noticed) or AC staff really was that incompetent.

Aptivaboy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:52 am

True A.net fashion.

Pax "inconveniences" airline: "They should know better, follow the rules and just comply!"

Airline screws up and a pax is inconvenienced: "They're clearly just looking for money"

Bingo. You win the internet today. :D :lol:

peterinlisbon

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:04 am

Doesn't the passenger herself also bear some responsibility here? I mean, if you fall asleep on a bus/train/metro train and end up at the depot, you can hardly say its all someone else's fault that you did that and sue them for your own carelessness. The only difference in this case is that she was a security risk, because even if she hid deliberately they should have found her before locking up the plane. If this was done by someone that knew how to fly, they could have powered up the aircraft and taken off in the middle of the night.

Anyway, it's hardly the worst place to fall asleep. There are bathrooms, pillows, plenty of seats to sleep on and quite possibly an endless supply of alcohol and snickers bars.

Insertnamehere

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:12 am

Now I am not privy to everything in the industry as I’m merely an enthusiast but would this not represent a security risk if she was able to hide onboard an aircraft without being noticed for so long to have pretty much complete access to everything onboard?

Furthermore,As for people who are saying it’s pretty difficult I’ve slept through landing many times especially when you’re getting off a long trip home Especially if you’re connecting off an international flight so it’s not something that’s completely out of the realm of possibility.

chepos

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:36 am

Even if she had hidden, snuck somewhere, or whatever, at the end of the day AC is at fault. No matter which way it is sliced or diced, this appears to be a security breach. I am going to assume the cleaning/search had not been completed yet? Sometimes these are left to be completed in the AM.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Fitlikemin

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 am

Something stinks about this. And it's not the lav.

Exeiowa

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:49 am

I would have thought it was in an airlines interest to be thorough to prevent someone staying behind for nefarious purposes.

peterinlisbon

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 pm

chepos wrote:
Even if she had hidden, snuck somewhere, or whatever, at the end of the day AC is at fault. No matter which way it is sliced or diced, this appears to be a security breach. I am going to assume the cleaning/search had not been completed yet? Sometimes these are left to be completed in the AM.

Yes, it's a huge security risk not to check the plane before closing it. Anyone that knows how to fly could have started the plane up.

sw733

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:59 pm

ojjunior wrote:

Just because you don’t think (you can’t know, unless it happens to you) you would have the same mental health issues after a situation like this doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t. We are all different.

FlyHappy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Lots of people off the rails, apparently without reading the linked article it seems.

The pax has threatened no lawsuits.
I've flown countless times over many decades and I would not know that I I could find a flashlight above FA jumpseat, that's obvious only to you professionals. The cockpit is not a unreasonable place to look, when there is no lighting
Yes - the pax bears responsibility for not being awake for arrival.
Yes - the flight crew and cleaning crew (if there was one) bears responsibility for not finding sleeping pax, missing a procedure.
No, pax does not deserve large monetary settlement, but no indication of having asked for one.
There is no reason to believe pax stealthily hid on floor or lav, again, has not made outrageous demands, so to what end?
Does not matter that pax is way off base on 40-50' to ground, it was further than she was comfortable dealing with.
Pax was resourceful enough to use flashlight to attract attention of luggage cart driver.
Right now, pax feels anxious by waking in closed, dark plane alone. I wouldn't have such bad reaction, but everyone is different.

AC should invite pax to a couple of complimentary J tickets and lounge passes, apologize (as they already have) and consider the matter settled. Not that they "owe" her these, but because its simple goodwill/PR for an unusual and very regrettable oversight that did shine a light on a mistake and possible procedural oversight that might require adjustment.
The crew made a mistake, don't need to hang/draw/quarter them, but sounds like RON procedures should be revisited/ reemphasized with all flight personnel; for the safety of pax, liability of AC, and security for all.

Armodeen

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Finally a sensible post! Thanks FlyHappy.

Personally I wouldn't get anxious in such situations, but I can understand how someone might. Plenty of ways to attract attention, or just arm and deploy a slide :slaphappy:

FlyHappy wrote:
Lots of people off the rails, apparently without reading the linked article it seems.

I've flown countless times over many decades and I would not know that I I could find a flashlight above FA jumpseat, that's obvious only to you professionals. The cockpit is not a unreasonable place to look, when there is no lighting
Yes - the flight crew and cleaning crew (if there was one) bears responsibility for not finding sleeping pax, missing a procedure.
No, pax does not deserve large monetary settlement, but no indication of having asked for one.
There is no reason to believe pax stealthily hid on floor or lav, again, has not made outrageous demands, so to what end?
Does not matter that pax is way off base on 40-50' to ground, it was further than she was comfortable dealing with.
Pax was resourceful enough to use flashlight to attract attention of luggage cart driver.
Right now, pax feels anxious by waking in closed, dark plane alone. I wouldn't have such bad reaction, but everyone is different.

AC should invite pax to a couple of complimentary J tickets and lounge passes, apologize (as they already have) and consider the matter settled. Not that they "owe" her these, but because its simple goodwill/PR for an unusual and very regrettable oversight that did shine a light on a mistake and possible procedural oversight that might require adjustment.
The crew made a mistake, don't need to hang/draw/quarter them, but sounds like RON procedures should be revisited/ reemphasized with all flight personnel; for the safety of pax, liability of AC, and security for all.

AirlineCritic

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Obviously, this is a miss by AC, even if the sleeplessness and door height are probably exaggerated. Kudos for her for using the flashlight to draw attention.

Are cockpit doors usually left open when the aircraft is empty? I would have turned the radios on: "This is AC 123. Request immediate tow to the VIP terminal and prepare the champagne. Over." Or like smi0006 puts it, arm the door and have a slide out :-)

zuckie13

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:18 pm

For those doubting her just being asleep:

Last year, I boarded my (delayd already by MX issue at previous stop) flight from LAX to BWI. After boarding, the crew counted the passengers, then recounted, and recounted......

30 minutes of "paperwork" issues later the gate agent came on and told everyone to get out their IDs. What happened? A young women on the previous leg had fallen asleep and not gotten off in LAX like she was supposed to. Obviously someone miscounted the through passengers, but yes, she managed to be asleep through landing, de-boarding and boarding.

After that it was just a nearly 6.5 hours of flight time home......

CFM565A1

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 pm

A couple points to think about:

1: YYZ hard stand ops are pathetic (no excuse for this incident but should be stated)

2: While not 40-50ft, it’s close to 38.6 ft off the ground, so pretty close and still high!

3: Yes she could’ve slept through everything... we’ll never know for sure but I’ve had passengers take motion sickness medication or sleeping pills and they require a little extra attention at the and of the flight to get them awakened.

4:I think this is AC Rouge if it’s YQB-YYZ. While I’ve had no problem flying Rouge and am in the minority that thinks they’re fine, some of their young FAs aren’t exactly retaining all their training. I’ve seen forgotten exit row briefings, bins left open before takeoff, pre-landing cabin checks missed... again not saying they did or didn’t follow procedure in this situation, those are just previous observations that concerned me a bit.

5: once the crew was gone, where were the stampede of groomers that drive over to clean? In YYZ and other big Canadian airports, the groomers for AC can’t wait to rush onto the plane and get started. Sometimes they won’t even let us crews off and get a little ornery when we’re “in the way”. We had a plane swap once and the FA was in the old plane still and the groomers were panicking as to why she was there (they thought she got left out in the cold).

6: really good thing this wasn’t winter or a very hot YYZ summer.
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

spinotter

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:01 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
ojjunior wrote:

Exactly what I am thinking. Why are people so evilly oriented toward money at this time in human history? She woke up, found a flashlight, got a savior, was given a free ride home. Some people would be grateful for such a minimal adventure. And it was her own fault anyway for falling asleep so heavily that she couldn't wake up at landing and debarking time.

questions

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:09 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
I've flown countless times over many decades and I would not know that I I could find a flashlight above FA jumpseat, that's obvious only to you professionals.

Not a professional, just an observant flyer. If perhaps I was just a happy flyer, I would have never noticed.

aviationaware

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Funny, probably most of the people here would die to be locked into an aircraft over night and she claims damages ;)

BlueberryWheats

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:12 pm

With no phone battery to call out, I wonder how much trouble you'd get in to flip on the aircraft battery, engage the APU and turn on every possible exterior light? Strobes and landing lights on while parked at a stand would surely garner attention!

VS11

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:22 pm

The article ends with AC CONFIRMING the pax story, for those of you still doubting.

CFM565A1

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:34 pm

VS11 wrote:
The article ends with AC CONFIRMING the pax story, for those of you still doubting.

The way this forum works these days, airline confirms the story to be true and the same people are saying "source???" :D :D :D :D
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

JetBuddy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm

If you struggle with anxiety and insomnia, you usually take medicine to counter both things.

If you're taking these you might sleep through just about anything. And not only that, you might forget what happened even if you woke up. She might have opened her eyes during landing and deboarding - and then fallen asleep again. Without remembering it.

And waking up in a dark aircraft on an apron must be a very strange experience. Rummaging through the cockpit to find a flashlight seems logical. Gauging the height from the ground up is not easy in the dark. And everything seems much higher when you're on top and looking down.

She also used the flashlight to shine a light on the exterior of the plane, hoping someone would notice it. Seems like a good idea.

She could probably not charge her phone to make a call because the aircraft was left in a cold & dark state.

It's fully the airline's responsibility to check if there's anyone left on the plane before parking it.

crimsonchin

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:31 pm

How does this even happen?

So, somehow the AC crew didn't do a final check (which I'm guessing would have made someone notice her) after everyone had departed and just locked the plane?????

Also, users on here need to stop doing this irritating thing where you think other people should enjoy situations you yourself might enjoy because you're an aviation enthusiast.

RogerMurdock

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:43 pm

If the passenger had paid attention during the safety briefing and read the card they should have no problem opening a door and popping the slide. Plus they have the luxury of time because it's not a true emergency.

Etheereal

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:47 pm

MeCe wrote:
questions wrote:
Perhaps:

Certain :

Of course, because you were either there or saw the future, amirite? Why dont you wait untill the true story is known? :stirthepot:
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

aerolimani

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:47 pm

In the English language, there is an unfortunate problem where the numbers 13 through 19 sound a lot like 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90. She could have done an interview where she said “fourteen, fifteen feet,” but the interviewer heard “forty, fifty feet.” Especially of it was a phone interview.

In the midst of the situation, it sounds like she was actually pretty levelheaded. Perhaps the stress of the situation didn’t really hit her until later, and now her unconscious imagination is running away with it.

VSMUT

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Does Air Canada normally leave the carts with drinks in place overnight, or do they take them out on arrival?

FredrikHAD

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:08 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
If the passenger had paid attention during the safety briefing and read the card they should have no pro.blem opening a door and popping the slide. Plus they have the luxury of time because it's not a true emergency.

Opening a door would be easy, but the slides aren’t armed after the FA’s disarm them prior to de-boarding. Arming one isn’t that difficult though. Popping one is very expensive, so she did the best of the situation I think. She was wise not to jump down on her own. If she had hurt herself there would have been no one to save her. Also, she’d have to walk through a restricted and dangerous area to reach a building, and who knows if she would have found an open entrance? I assume most gates are locked when they’re not in use.

/Fredrik

Aptivaboy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Great reply, FlyHappy - logical, informed and reasonable.

blueflyer

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:05 pm

questions wrote:

Been there
questions wrote:

Done that
questions wrote:

There's a what where?
questions wrote:
- And it was 50 feet to the ground!

30ft, 40ft, 50ft, no clue, other than too high for me to jump off

I've also sat alone at a gate for half an hour waiting for a connecting flight that was leaving at the wrong time from the wrong gate and canceled all along, I've tried boarding the wrong flight because I missed probably half a dozen gate change announcement, I've miserably bungled an immigration interview because I lost track of where I was going... Travel can be that exhausting!

I fly often enough I know the routine by heart, could probably repeat the Lufty announcements in my sleep in English and German (even though I would barely pass German 101), and still, I get her...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

UPS757Pilot

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:56 pm

chepos wrote:

Exactly. The airline is responsible for accounting for all passengers. If this were in the USA, TSA wouldn't be very happy with AC right now.

ASFlyer

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:06 pm

FlyHappy wrote:

all of this and more. I didn't see where she's looking at court as yet, though her story seems to be a little dramatic in terms of the PTSD and what not. Still, at the end of the day, it's Air' Canada's crew responsibility to ensure the planes are clear of all passengers before the crew deplanes. Leaving her behind presents a security risk to the airline and it definitely inconveniences the customer who is now stuck on the plane for the night. The whole nightmares and what not is a little overdone though.

ASFlyer

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Etheereal wrote:
MeCe wrote:
questions wrote:
Perhaps:

Certain :

Of course, because you were either there or saw the future, amirite? Why dont you wait untill the true story is known? :stirthepot:

is there any other explanation? What possibly could it be? A passenger was locked in a plane after the last crew member got off. I don't know Canadian rules but in the U.S. that's a big no-no. I assume it's the same in Canada.

debonair

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Flying sucks less when you take the right pills... Ups, sorry, that was the new slogan for Jetlines. :tapedshut:

AirKevin

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:11 am

Armodeen wrote:
Plenty of ways to attract attention, or just arm and deploy a slide :slaphappy:

AirlineCritic wrote:
I would have turned the radios on: "This is AC 123. Request immediate tow to the VIP terminal and prepare the champagne. Over." Or like smi0006 puts it, arm the door and have a slide out :-)

BlueberryWheats wrote:
With no phone battery to call out, I wonder how much trouble you'd get in to flip on the aircraft battery, engage the APU and turn on every possible exterior light? Strobes and landing lights on while parked at a stand would surely garner attention!

Would your typical passenger know how to do any of that.
Captain Kevin

ElPistolero

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 am

Some are asking how or why she wasn't noticed by cleaners or groomers.

As anyone who has flown AC consistently for the lasy 7-8 years can point out, AC reduced cleaning on its aircraft a long time ago. Their short haul fleet has devolved into easily one of the filthiest in the world.

Granted even I thought they'd use the overnight downtime to do...something. Anything. Guess not.
Last edited by ElPistolero on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

9Patch

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:45 am

ewt340 wrote:

I don't think a rational person would believe this story. It's too illogical.

ElPistolero

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:46 am

9Patch wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

I don't think a rational person would believe this story. It's too illogical.

Has AC denied it?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos