Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CRJ200flyer
Topic Author

US Major Airlines - Regional Fleets

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Spent a long night a few weeks back going through the major's SEC filings. I created this diagram looking at the number and type of aircraft flying for each major carrier, and the regional partners who fly them.

Link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/CommercialAvia ... ographics/

Some observations:
-American has roughly 34% more regional aircraft than Delta.
-United has 8 different regional partners compared to 7 and 5 at American and Delta, respectively.
-Despite the large number of partners, United has zero CRJ-900s in operation.

Some questions
-Does having more regional partners help or hurt an operation?
-Does anyone know what United and American's future plans are for their substantial fleets of E140/145s?

HPAEAA

Re: US Major Airlines - Regional Fleets

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:57 pm

United plans to decrease the number of traditional 50 seaters but introduce a new premium heavy version of the cr7 called the CRJ550, unfortunately they can’t do much upgauging at the moment due to the scope clause in the pilot contract without growing the mainline fleet... personally, I think sticking with the e170/5 as they have is smart, it’s a more comfortable ride for us tall folks...

AAL- haven’t hear much other than they’ve ordered more e175s last year for envoy, and are working to eliminate the cr2 flying..

Interesting though looking at the fleet mix of 50 and below and 50 and above aircraft, didn’t realize Delta was so far ahead with upgauging the regional fleet - I’m interested to see how AAL deals with the gap they have in their fleet between the 50 seater & 160 seat fleets.
1.4mm and counting...

ericm2031

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:10 pm

HPAEAA wrote:
II’m interested to see how AAL deals with the gap they have in their fleet between the 50 seater & 160 seat fleets.

Well they're still taking on used A319's (from F9) for the time being and UA is even more aggressive in that area taking on ones from U2 and CZ.

HPAEAA

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:57 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
HPAEAA wrote:
II’m interested to see how AAL deals with the gap they have in their fleet between the 50 seater & 160 seat fleets.

Well they're still taking on used A319's (from F9) for the time being and UA is even more aggressive in that area taking on ones from U2 and CZ.

Getting off topic, but the 319 adds are only a drop in a very deep bucket given the last fleet plan I saw earlier this year (publicly released). Their current fleet plan, with the MD80 & e190 exiting the fleet between now & 2021, they're actually going to be decreasing the number of aircraft in the fleet from 176 earlier this year to 133 by 2021, since this currently makes up about 11% of the aircraft being flown under the AA brand and will decreasing to 8%.

Back on topic, using the same fleet plan it looks like AA plans to reduce the 50 seaters from 204 to 173 by 2021 & increase the 70 seat category from 391 to 435.
1.4mm and counting...

MIflyer12

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:06 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
HPAEAA wrote:

UA was still adding CR2s in 2018, not decreasing the net count.

DL's 50-seater count peaked in 2009 at about 500. It's been steadily down since then.

Aisak

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:39 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Some observations:
[...]
Some questions
-Does anyone know what United and American's future plans are for their substantial fleets of E140/145s?

First of all I must say you’ve done a fantastic research job.

I don’t consider the 34% “gap” between American and Delta to be something to observe... look how the difference between both in mainline fleet is pretty similar. I would look at regional seats and the ratio would be quite similar given how many 90 seaters DL has on its regionals

I would outline the fact that both Republic and Skywest work for all 3 of them.

About the task for regionals (help or hurt)... they play a role. They are supposed to be used on markets not able to support a +100-seat mainline or where it would not be possible to offer a convenient schedule with larger mainline. But unfortunately they have been just used to outsource in-house production at lower costs.

On telecom/IT there is the problem of the “last mile”. The most expensive section to deploy due to number of low capacity numerous links to hubs. The regionals could fall under this definition on the aviation sector.

HPAEAA wrote:
United plans to decrease the number of traditional 50 seaters but introduce a new premium heavy version of the cr7 called the CRJ550, unfortunately they can’t do much upgauging at the moment due to the scope clause in the pilot contract without growing the mainline fleet...

I remember bombardier having to introduce a premium heavy version of the standard CRJs. CRJ-440 with 44 seats instead of the standard 50 (I think it was for DL) and the CRJ-705 with 70-ish instead of 90 on what it basically was a CRJ-900 (for AC Jazz) this was purely for scope reasons (who came up with a 44-seat scope in the first place???)

But this CRJ-550 is news to me and probably to some more people here. Fitting a F class section on the smallest 70-seat NG means keeping 2 FAs on the plane while **amazingly** reducing the FA per seat ratio. They must be pretty sure there is demand for F on those markets...

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Aisak wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:
Some observations:
[...]
Some questions

I don’t consider the 34% “gap” between American and Delta to be something to observe... look how the difference between both in mainline fleet is pretty similar. I would look at regional seats and the ratio would be quite similar given how many 90 seaters DL has on its regionals

About the task for regionals (help or hurt)... they play a role. They are supposed to be used on markets not able to support a +100-seat mainline or where it would not be possible to offer a convenient schedule with larger mainline. But unfortunately they have been just used to outsource in-house production at lower costs.

On telecom/IT there is the problem of the “last mile”. The most expensive section to deploy due to number of low capacity numerous links to hubs. The regionals could fall under this definition on the aviation sector.

HPAEAA wrote:
United plans to decrease the number of traditional 50 seaters but introduce a new premium heavy version of the cr7 called the CRJ550, unfortunately they can’t do much upgauging at the moment due to the scope clause in the pilot contract without growing the mainline fleet...

I remember bombardier having to introduce a premium heavy version of the standard CRJs. CRJ-440 with 44 seats instead of the standard 50 (I think it was for DL) and the CRJ-705 with 70-ish instead of 90 on what it basically was a CRJ-900 (for AC Jazz) this was purely for scope reasons (who came up with a 44-seat scope in the first place???)

But this CRJ-550 is news to me and probably to some more people here. Fitting a F class section on the smallest 70-seat NG means keeping 2 FAs on the plane while **amazingly** reducing the FA per seat ratio. They must be pretty sure there is demand for F on those markets...

The CRJ-440 was not premium heavy, it was just a couple extra closets on the plane to limit it to 44 seats for Northwest scope. A number continue to operate today for Delta as 50 seaters today.
From my cold, dead hands

Cubsrule

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:17 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Aisak wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:
Some observations:
[...]
Some questions

HPAEAA wrote:

The CRJ-440 was not premium heavy, it was just a couple extra closets on the plane to limit it to 44 seats for Northwest scope. A number continue to operate today for Delta as 50 seaters today.

Was it two extra closets or was it one on the port side and scads of legroom on the starboard side? I remember the C/D bulkhead seats having seemingly infinite room.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

caflyboy

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:50 pm

Here's the thread I started last year on this. Includes Alaska and breaks down by class and aircraft size

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412369

blacksoviet

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Why were all the ERJ-135s retired?

TUSDawg23

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:05 pm

DL doesn't depend as much on their regional partners because they have narrowbody planes in their mainline fleet like the 717 and A220 they can more closely match to demand on thinner routes.

HPAEAA

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Aisak wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:
Some observations:
[...]
Some questions

HPAEAA wrote:

Thanks, hadn’t heard of those other variations before, found an old thread on the CRJ 44, apparently it was NWs scope restrictions which inspired that variation, from what I could see the CRJ705 was in fact for Jazz..
Thread on the 440: viewtopic.php?t=559459#p8040441

The CRJ550 isn’t flying yet but I believe they plan to introduce it later this year (they ordered 50 of them), will feature 10 F 20 Y+ and 20 in Y plus more closets.. I’m kinda curious what the seat pitch is going to be..

https://onemileatatime.com/what-is-the-crj550/
1.4mm and counting...

Karlsands

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Bro you need a stiff drink and some sleep haha

Longhornmaniac

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Aisak wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:
Some observations:
[...]
Some questions

HPAEAA wrote:

The 550s will be operated by GoJet and will have only 50 seats, therefore only one flight attendant. First class will be self-serve snack and non-alcoholic drinks (the F/A will still be required to serve the booze per federal law).
Cheers,
Cameron

KCaviator

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:38 pm

Rumors are that Delta will be down to 3 regionals: Endeavor, Republic, and SkyWest. They are the only major that cares about their product. The other 2 only care about hiring the cheapest regional feed.

impilot

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm

KCaviator wrote:
Rumors are that Delta will be down to 3 regionals: Endeavor, Republic, and SkyWest. They are the only major that cares about their product. The other 2 only care about hiring the cheapest regional feed.

I’d say JetBlue is another major that cares about their product, which was the reason they cited they never had any regional feed, even before their pilots voted in scope that now prevents regional feed. The fact that delta still has regional feed shows they only *kind of* care about their product. And SkyWorst is kind of a joke these days. Not exactly a glowing endorsement for a good product.

bigb

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:03 pm

As of right now, PSA already sent 2 to 3 CR2s away for retirements and return took delivery of 3 CR9s.

PSA are suppose to retire 15 CR2s as they take delivery of 15 CR9s. Once DCA new terminal is built, the rest of the 200s will go away. As long as the 35x gates exists, the 200s will remain.

JohnAudiR18

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Not sure if this had been posted, AA looks to get ahead in the regional industry. My only question is how will this affect 175's being operated by Republic (YX) and CRJ700's operated by SkyWest (OO) https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... this-year/ mostly how this will affect things, if those particular aircraft go away from AA use over to DL or UA use.

JBo

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 pm

impilot wrote:
KCaviator wrote:

I’d say JetBlue is another major that cares about their product, which was the reason they cited they never had any regional feed, even before their pilots voted in scope that now prevents regional feed. The fact that delta still has regional feed shows they only *kind of* care about their product. And SkyWorst is kind of a joke these days. Not exactly a glowing endorsement for a good product.

So, what would you suggest Delta do in lieu of contracted regional feed? Many of those cities don't generate enough traffic to support a 717, and scope contracts go both ways — there's no way that they'd legally be able to add E-jets and CRJs to the mainline certificate and staff them with mainline pilots. The scope contracts exist as a way of keeping the regionals in business in a post-deregulation industry.

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Some questions

It's a double-edged sword. About 20 years ago, DL had only four regional partners: SkyWest, Comair, ASA, and Business Express. They were the "original four" Delta Connection carriers, and for the most part they operated exclusively into specific hubs. BEX covered the eastern seaboard, feeding into Boston and New York; ASA covered the southeast, feeding into ATL; SkyWest covered the western half of the US, feeding into LAX and SLC; and Comair covered the midwest, feeding into CVG. In 2001, amid a labor/contract dispute, Comair pilots went on what became a 90-day strike that shut down their flight operations entirely, and crippled Delta's midwestern regional feed.

Most of the other mainline carriers (UA, NW, US) worked with their regionals the same way, with each contracted operator focusing on a particular region.

After the Comair strike, Delta and the other mainline carriers changed their approach, and started overlapping their partners' territories so that multiple operators were feeding into their different hubs, so that if there was ever another major operational issue with one regional partner, it'd be way easier to have a different partner backfill those routes.

With all of the consolidation over the past industry (and/or airlines going out of business), the regional partners are less about covering specific geographic regions and more about offering specific aircraft type/capacity (Republic is now exclusively operating E170s and 175s; Air Wisconsin is still exclusively CR2, etc.)

I think the mainline carriers are still reluctant to consolidate to too few partners if for no other reason than for the risks involved if there ever ends up being another major strike or operational shutdown. Having more partners also gives the mainline carrier leverage when renegotiating contracts.

SkyWest and Republic aren't going anywhere anytime soon; they both have very large fleets and very deep roots with all three mainlines.

Trans States (which includes GoJet and Compass under its corporate umbrella) is #3 in size, but I regularly hear mixed reviews about their service quality (especially GoJet). Trans States itself is still only flying E145s, which puts them in a weak spot; Compass and GoJet with 170s and 175s still have room to compete for capacity.

Envoy, PSA, and Piedmont are all wholly owned by AA; they're not going anywhere anytime soon, but AA may someday either sell off or consolidate them.

Likewise, Endeavor is wholly owned by DL, so they aren't going anywhere either.

Mesa is the #4 independent regional in terms of size. They provide nearly half of AA's CR9 fleet, and a good portion of UA's E175 and CR7 fleets. They'll likely stick around for the foreseeable term.

ExpressJet, Air Wisconsin, and CommutAir make up the backbone of UA's 50-seat ops. Between those three, ExpressJet is now owned by an LLC affiliated with United, so they're the most likely to stay in the fold. Air Wisconsin and CommutAir are weaker links as they both operate smaller fleets of a single type (CR2 and E145, respectively). I wouldn't be surprised of C5 eventually gets phased out; ZW might be around longer, especially if they can get larger aircraft.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

impilot

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:08 pm

JBo wrote:
So, what would you suggest Delta do in lieu of contracted regional feed? Many of those cities don't generate enough traffic to support a 717, and scope contracts go both ways — there's no way that they'd legally be able to add E-jets and CRJs to the mainline certificate and staff them with mainline pilots. The scope contracts exist as a way of keeping the regionals in business in a post-deregulation industry.

That is patently false. Scope contracts don't go both ways. The Delta pilot contract, aka the PWA, is the controlling document, and really the only document that addresses scope for Delta, and it says nothing about guaranteeing feed to regionals. It also already has a CRJ-900 and E190 pay scale on it. Why would they have a pay rate for a plane they couldn't add to their certificate? That's nonsense. They'd have to negotiate a pay rate for CR2/CR7/E170/E175, but given the fact that a CR9 pay scale exists, that wouldn't be too difficult to negotiate/arbitrate.

What you might be thinking of is capacity purchase agreements, the agreements under which Delta contracts its regional feed, which have expiration timelines and there are no obligations to continue them. They can also be adjusted/ended early under certain conditions, or planes/flying removed from them. Obviously a move like this wouldn't happen overnight (and likely won't anytime soon, if ever), but it could absolutely happen from a legal/contractual standpoint.

880dc8707

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Was on a 175 PHL - YUL operated by Republic for AA, The F/A announcements were all Unuted.com .Wonder how often this happens???

Trk1

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:35 pm

post 1707: note that Commut Air is 49& owned by United

caflyboy

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:47 am

About 20 years ago, DL had only four regional partners: SkyWest, Comair, ASA, and Business Express. They were the "original four" Delta Connection carriers, and for the most part they operated exclusively into specific hubs.

Ransome was the first Delta Connection carrier in the Northeast before it was sold to Pan Am. Rio also pre-dated Business Express. Skywest,ASA,Ransome and Rio and Comair were the first five carriers.

ExpressJet, Air Wisconsin, and CommutAir make up the backbone of UA's 50-seat ops.

Skywest operates more 50 seat RJs for United than Air Wisconsin and Commutair.

KCaviator

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:16 am

880dc8707 wrote:
Was on a 175 PHL - YUL operated by Republic for AA, The F/A announcements were all Unuted.com .Wonder how often this happens???

That’s painfully embarrassing... I do feel for them though. The FAs have to know 3 different codeshare procedures for their inflight service and announcements. For us pilots, everything is 99% the same regardless of the codeshare (the 1% would be codeshare cargo differences).

CRJ200flyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05 am

Aisak wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:
Some observations:
[...]
Some questions

Thank you for the compliment!

In regards to the gap, if you look at it from a ratio of aircraft perspective, American has 595 regional aircraft and 956 mainline aircraft, or .62 regional aircraft per mainline aircraft. Delta meanwhile has 444 regional aircraft and 885 mainline aircraft, or .50 regional aircraft per mainline aircraft. I would have to do a lot more math when I am less tired to determine a per seat ratio, but this is the difference I was observing.

To your point about 90 seaters Delta has on its regionals, what are you referring to? Delta has no 90 seat aircraft in service (the regionals are scope limited to 76 seats, and the smallest mainline aircraft - the A220-100 - has 109 seats).

CRJ200flyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 am

JohnAudiR18 wrote:
Not sure if this had been posted, AA looks to get ahead in the regional industry. My only question is how will this affect 175's being operated by Republic (YX) and CRJ700's operated by SkyWest (OO) https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... this-year/ mostly how this will affect things, if those particular aircraft go away from AA use over to DL or UA use.

Going through American Airlines First Quarter 2019 8K filing, here is the regional fleet plan:

American Active Regional Year End Fleet Count

YE 2019
CRJ 200 = 21
CRJ 700 = 121
CRJ 900 = 127
E175 = 174
E140 = 46
E145 = 118
TOTAL = 607 (net gain of 12 over 2019)

YE 2020
CRJ 200 = 21
CRJ 700 = 121
CRJ 900 = 131
E175 = 189
E140 = 34
E145 = 118
TOTAL = 614 (net gain of 19 over 2019, or 7 over 2020)

CRJ200flyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:19 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
HPAEAA wrote:

UA was still adding CR2s in 2018, not decreasing the net count.

DL's 50-seater count peaked in 2009 at about 500. It's been steadily down since then.

Indeed United's forecast number of 50 seats isn't changing much. Here's from the First Quarter 2019 10Q filing with the SEC:

United Fleet Plan (Only 50 Seaters)

1Q2019 = 314
2Q2019 = 307
3Q2019 = 308
4Q2019 = 320

The 70 and 76-seat classes remain a constant 102 and 153, respectively.

HPAEAA

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:23 am

JohnAudiR18 wrote:

I think this is good for YX & OO since it’s really about catching up, not getting ahead... I’m not as familiar with UA regional flights but every DL Cr9/e170/5 flight I’ve had has WiFi & power ports already rolled out in the comfort plus and F cabins... I’ve not had any flights on the cr7 or cr2 but DL does show WiFi on the CR7 fleet.
1.4mm and counting...

JohnAudiR18

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:13 pm

Oh, *very long frustrated sigh* of course they do. Of course....

airlineworker

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Can't recall where I read it recently, but some E170's are being painted in the AA livery as they are coming off service with another airline.

Runway28L

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:15 am

airlineworker wrote:
Can't recall where I read it recently, but some E170's are being painted in the AA livery as they are coming off service with another airline.

There are two Republic E170s in house colors operating for AA at the moment (N806MD and N826MD). There was also a rumor floated around that YX would transfer all UA/DL E170s to AA in exchange for new deliveries going to UA and DL, likely in the 70-seat configuration.

IMO AA could really use some of those E170s out of JFK and LGA to replace those dated E140s that are directly competing against DL CRJ9s/E175s on certain routes.