illinoisman
Topic Author

ORD "People Mover" Shutdown Causing Headaches

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html

"The cars were supposed to remain in use during a $310 million project to update and expand the airport’s popular “people mover,” which transports about 30,000 passengers a day. But for more than a year, passengers traveling between terminals and to parking lots have usually been forced instead into a fleet of buses lumbering slowly through airport traffic.

The work, which began four years ago, originally was to be substantially completed by December 2018, and the city required the contractor to keep service interruptions “to an absolute minimum.”

But a Tribune review of thousands of pages of city records shows the project soon devolved into delays, finger-pointing and contract disputes. To speed things up, the main contractor, Parsons Construction Group, began requesting that the city provide buses to cover periodic shutdowns of the people mover. The city agreed — first for short stretches, then longer ones.

The disputes led to mediation and a May 2018 agreement to shut down the people mover on most weekdays for the rest of that year. This year it has hardly run at all, its cars mothballed in the gravel lot."

It’s about time some light was shined on this. Seems like other airports manage to build whole new terminals and parking garages in half the time it’s taking to extend the people mover. The article even understates the utter chaos that often reigns at Terminal 5, with people trying to get to their flights in the domestic terminals. That and having Uber/Lyft upstairs has created a mess at the departure gates.

FriscoHeavy

Re: ORD "People Mover" Shutdown Causing Headaches

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:21 pm

My wife and I arrived into Terminal 5 a few weeks ago and had to get over to Terminal 3 for an American flight. We had to go outside, get on a hot bus to take us in a big circle, all while the driver stomped on the brakes every 3 seconds nearly giving us whiplash and making us vomit. My wife almost lost it.

The traffic was immense and I've never seen anything like it entering an airport, yet we've been to many of the worlds busiest airport via car/taxi.

Absolutely uncalled for.
Whatever

N867DA

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:21 pm

I connected Domestic->International and International->Domestic through ORD in last month. I went from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 to access a lounge, and then returned to Terminal 3 for my AA flight. There was no wait for the shuttle and the overall process worked very well.

I flew LHR-ORD on BA's A380 service and found transit time through customs and immigration very reasonable, though the wait for my luggage was lengthy. I do not have Global Entry or Precheck. The shuttle to T3 for my connecting AA flight ha no wait.

Per advice from other travel sites, there were massive delays when the bus shuttle service was rolled out last winter but they must have ironed through all the issues. It's not as convenient as the train (especially on a snowy Chicago winter night) but it did the job.

That said, there's no reason for the project to take this long and I'm sure some folks are making a killing on the whole thing.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

United787

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:44 pm

The whole thing is embarrassing as a Chicagoan. Hopefully this will be a good lesson for the bigger T2 "Global Terminal" redevelopment...

9w748capt

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:58 pm

Wow what an utter disgrace. Can't say this is at all surprising given Chicago's dirty politics.

Karlsands

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Over budget corruption

alggag

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:24 pm

I did T5 > T3 back in May. That particular day it was cold and rainy and I started to get a chill while waiting in the pop up tent for the next bus to come along as I did not have a coat on. On the upside I had about 5 hours between flights so the traffic didn't bother me in that case but it would have been very frustrating if I had a short connection.

OneX123

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Does anyone use this for travel between T1 - T3? I certainly hope not, it's the easiest terminal walk I've seen domestically...

illinoisman
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:23 pm

N867DA wrote:
I connected Domestic->International and International->Domestic through ORD in last month. I went from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 to access a lounge, and then returned to Terminal 3 for my AA flight. There was no wait for the shuttle and the overall process worked very well.

Per advice from other travel sites, there were massive delays when the bus shuttle service was rolled out last winter but they must have ironed through all the issues. It's not as convenient as the train (especially on a snowy Chicago winter night) but it did the job.

I travel almost exclusively out of ORD for business. Since the people mover trains are down the bus service to and from economy parking is disorganized and usually the worst part of my trip. Waited 45 minutes today to get a bus to the E parking lot. When the bus arrived after several of us complaining it was full of people and the air conditioning did not work. The disorganized bus service is a regular occurrence and has been going on for a while now.

x1234

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 pm

Another example of the famous Chicago incompetence!

AA737-823

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 am

What's that? The corruption that IS the entirety of Chicago has caused the masses to be inconvenienced?
Imaging that. Next thing you'll tell me, the desert is dry and the ocean is wet!

ITSTours

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 am

It's still down? Incredible.

hpff

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 am

Will it be complete before BER?

vhtje

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:22 am

There is still the T3 to T5 airside transfer for the BA flights, correct? That is terribly convenient, and I would think twice about connecting in ORD if it went away even if the transit was restored. The transit is landside, correct?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

kipfilet

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 am

All transit is landside. I connect domestic to international at ORD (and vice versa) twice to.four times a year and never heard of airside transfers to T5 (at least not for United or Star Alliance flights). That airport is absolutely terrible for connections.

Rl12383

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:47 pm

United just started an airside trasferencia bus last week. American has had one for over a year now.

N867DA

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:15 pm

vhtje wrote:
There is still the T3 to T5 airside transfer for the BA flights, correct? That is terribly convenient, and I would think twice about connecting in ORD if it went away even if the transit was restored. The transit is landside, correct?

This service used to be exclusively for BA customers but it is now available for all passengers with a T5 boarding pass since the City of Chicago took it over. Service seems to be spotty at best and delays are not uncommon. It's often quicker to take the landside shuttle and re-clear security in T5.

Go here and search for the TTB: https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myflig ... fault.aspx
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

chicawgo

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:19 pm

kipfilet wrote:
All transit is landside. I connect domestic to international at ORD (and vice versa) twice to.four times a year and never heard of airside transfers to T5 (at least not for United or Star Alliance flights). That airport is absolutely terrible for connections.

There has been airside bus transfer for a few years now. It has stops at G, K and the new L stinger gates. Anyone could use it, even a star alliance boarding pass.

Just this week, UA started one from B.

Use it next time

Fargo

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 pm

This simply highlights why the new Global Terminal is badly needed. They need to get construction going ASAP.

The satellites should start construction next year right?

usflyer msp

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:36 pm

ORD has also added a reverse transfer from T5 to T1/T3.
After customers clear customs/immigration, they can go through security at T5 and take an airside bus to T1/T3.
This should reduce some of the strain upon the landside buses.

ckfred

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 pm

My experience and the experience of friends for arriving at T5 is that Immigration and Customs aren't the bottlenecks. It's waiting for checked bags. Several years ago, I flew LHR-ORD on a BA 773. I could not believe the number of people who had checked bags, as well as the size of the bags. You would think that between the number of suits on the plane (i.e., not tourists starting or ending a 2-week trip), as well as the cost of checking bags, there would not be so many bags. It would have made sense to unload the J and F bags on one carousel and the Y bags on another, since the BA flight was the only one in that section of the baggage claim.

Last spring, my family flew out of ORD for spring break. Getting a bus to and from the new economy parking garage wasn't that bad. In some ways, it's better than the ATS, since you don't have to go up and over the roadway and back down to ticketing.

From what I've read, the problem is that the ATS is a French design that is not used at many airports. So, the new cars are being almost custom-built, and the track extension and renovation is not a gauge that is common to new systems.

Maybe the best analogy is that ORD picked Beta back in the 1980s, and the rest of the world picked VHS. So, trying to renovate and extend a Beta system can't be done as easily as if it were a VHS system.

md94

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:58 pm

illinoisman wrote:
N867DA wrote:

I travel almost exclusively out of ORD for business. Since the people mover trains are down the bus service to and from economy parking is disorganized and usually the worst part of my trip. Waited 45 minutes today to get a bus to the E parking lot. When the bus arrived after several of us complaining it was full of people and the air conditioning did not work. The disorganized bus service is a regular occurrence and has been going on for a while now.

I'd strongly consider parking at Lot F at the new rental car facility. The buses run direct from each terminal to the facility (you don't have to stop at each terminal on the way) and it cuts down the wait for an "E" lot bus. The price is the same and it is much less stressful than dealing with Lot E.
Last edited by md94 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72?, 732/3/7/8/9, 763/4, 772/3, 744, 787, MD88/90, F100, 319/20/21, E145/135/175/195, CRJ200/700, B206, 152/72/8

RDUDDJI

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Is this the same People Mover that's supposed to move people to/from the Rental Car Center? I flew into ORD last week and it was a huge cluster with the buses (both in and out). No A/C, overcrowded, not well signed, etc. I noticed there was what looked like a train station on the 2nd? floor (and the overhead track outside) but it had signs saying it was closed. Haven't been to ORD in a while, but that was certainly not a pleasant experience.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

jumpseat67

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:26 pm

These people are such "scammers". My favorite is when you check online and it says Economy Lot G "open", this is the $10 per day lot. You arrive 30 minutes later and it is miraculously FULL, even though you can still see empty spaces in the lot. I questioned at the barricade one day and was told "we cannot have people just driving around looking for limited spaces after getting the entry ticket". What? How about you let me decide that? You are then forced across the street into Lot E at $17 per day. The City of Chicago at its finest...

FlyingLaw1

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:02 pm

ORD was my home airport for quite a while... Now I avoid it at all costs...

RDUDDJI

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Wow, I just read that article. The level of corruption and ineptitude involved is amazing and sadly not surprising for those of us who have lived in CHI.

Even after reading the article it's not clear what the new plan is... There's this great quote: "The agreement also included the additional $23 million for Parsons as long as the project was substantially finished by this September."

So they're paying another $23mil to the contractor to "substantially" finish the project by September? Plus $85K/day for the buses. That would be funny if it weren't true. "Substantially finished"...that's a good one. Is BER considered "substantially finished"? :D
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

n92r03

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:15 am

So a friend just missed their flight after arriving T1. She had over 3 hours and still did not make it. Busses were a mess so tried a cab. No bueno. Arrive before 1500 and UA flight did not depart until 18:20. Unreal.

sonicruiser

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:24 am

chicawgo wrote:
There has been airside bus transfer for a few years now. It has stops at G, K and the new L stinger gates. Anyone could use it, even a star alliance boarding pass.

Use it next time

Is it possible to use the bus if you're just going to a lounge in T5 during a long connection?

chicawgo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:46 am

sonicruiser wrote:
chicawgo wrote:

Use it next time

Is it possible to use the bus if you're just going to a lounge in T5 during a long connection?

The official answer is no. Supposedly you need a T5 boarding pass. But I’ve heard of people getting on anyway. Probably depends on who happens to be working there at the moment. Just like dealing with airlines in general.

ctrabs0114

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:44 am

kipfilet wrote:

I noticed some airside buses connecting Terminal 3 (AA) with Terminal 5 (presumably for OneWorld partners or other international connections) when I was returning to DFW a few months ago.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ORDfan

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm

I love how every thread on ORD (or MDW for that matter) turns into a referendum on Chicago politics, economy, etc. I often forget: is this a.net or city data?

No one here mentions why all the expansion issues and road traffic: oh ya, the airport is experiencing record traffic and T5 bursting-at-the-seams sees more foreign tails than just about 99.5% of the airports in this country.

ORD is my home airport: I fly J to every habited continent in the world several times a year, and with the exception of AUS, I fly non-stop almost every time - see you soon QF. My company has offices in Europe, China, and Australia, and many of our competitors are equally global. This is best location for our industry, for talent, geography, and quality of life...including plentiful access to non-stop international flying for would-be globe trotters.

The buses are an unfortunate though short-term inconvenience that are more a reflection of ORD's continued and ongoing growth; it's a pretty insignificant reason to wax politic.

Scarebus34

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:09 pm

n92r03 wrote:
So a friend just missed their flight after arriving T1. She had over 3 hours and still did not make it. Busses were a mess so tried a cab. No bueno. Arrive before 1500 and UA flight did not depart until 18:20. Unreal.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me - you could probably walk it in 30 minutes. Unless she was held up in customs in T5, even with the inefficient busses, this doesn’t even seem plausible.

illinoisman
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:10 am

Update: reopening postponed from September to Thanksgiving. Not surprising at all. Name the last Chicago project that was completed on time and under budget! (crickets...)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... utType=amp

ITSTours

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 am

This is sad. I have to transfer at ORD next month...

mke717spotter

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:58 am

So this new facility that's being built at the end of the line, will it provide direct access to the ORD Metra stop? Of course, from what I remember there's not that many daily trains going along that route anyways.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

SRQLOT

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 am

mke717spotter wrote:
So this new facility that's being built at the end of the line, will it provide direct access to the ORD Metra stop? Of course, from what I remember there's not that many daily trains going along that route anyways.

It’s going to be a short walk to the metra station, and yes it’s next to the car rental garage. As for the amount of trains it depends which way you are going and time of day. The trains are planned with work traffic. In the morning plenty of trains going to Chicago and return in the evening, and no weekend service. I did take the train twice when I could.

So unfortunately not many people will connect to the Metra trains. It’s just too hard, no consistent service.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW KRK FRA LGW FCO ORD MDW LAS DFW ATL RDU BNA BHM BOS DTW FLL MCO RSW TPA SRQ
717 737-300/700/800/900/MAX8 747-400 757-200/300 767-300 787-8 319 320 321 330-300 MD-90 BAE146 CRJ900 Q400 E195 Piper Archer Cessna 152

muralir

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 am

illinoisman wrote:
Update: reopening postponed from September to Thanksgiving. Not surprising at all. Name the last Chicago project that was completed on time and under budget! (crickets...)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... utType=amp

Umm, the entire runway reconfiguration? Yeah, that's right. The massive reconfiguration and expansion of runways occurred largely on-time and on-budget. There were delays in the project when the airlines objected to paying for additional runways, so each phase had to be essentially negotiated with airlines individually. But once it was agreed on to proceed with a runway, it was constructed on-time and on-budget.

Name me another city that did such a massive reconfiguration and expansion of its airfield in the past 50 years? Crickets... I guess every other city is more corrupt than Chicago!

I'm not an apologist for Chicago and Illinois political dysfunction, but this is really getting tiresome. Every single failure of project management is not due to "typical Chicago corruption" as if every other city completes massive infrastructure projects without any problems.

How much is New York spending on the 2nd ave subway? Must be typical NYC corruption. LAX still doesn't have a people mover either. Must be LA corruption. SFO becomes a clusterf*k every evening when the fog rolls in. Must be typical SF corruption. DEN just yanked the contract of the company doing their terminal renovation. Typical Denver corruption.

Or maybe, Chicago's ineptitude at large infrastructure projects is no worse (and I'd argue a lot better) than a lot of other cities?

adamblang

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 am

Right on, muralir.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

United787

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

muralir wrote:

THANK YOU muralir. It does get tiresome.

Cubsrule

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:03 pm

ITSTours wrote:

I’m not sure of your itinerary, but as long as you are not arriving at Terminal 5, this won’t impact you at all.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Trioer

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Thank you muralir. I am not a Chicago apologist either and I live here. There are issues yes, but ripping on Chicago has become the new "why doesn't xxx fly to xxx" idiocy. Sweet home Chicago :)

NYKiwi

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:39 pm

So i have an international to domestic transfer in couple of weeks as well.as only 2 hours to do customs get to united domestic for last flight to LGA. There is no info on the site on transfers from T5 but hoping landing at 6.30pm T5 isnt so.busy

ITSTours

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:34 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

I’m not sure of your itinerary, but as long as you are not arriving at Terminal 5, this won’t impact you at all.

Arriving at 1 and departing at 5. Sadface.

Cubsrule

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:36 pm

ITSTours wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

Arriving at 1 and departing at 5. Sadface.

IINM the airside bus to 5 is open to passengers of all carriers now. Maybe somebody can confirm.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

DCA-ROCguy

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:17 pm

A few years ago, I flew United YVR-ORD-DCA. I entered the United States at ORD T5 because the flight was a redeye, and pre-clearance at YVR was closed. So I connected T5 to T1 at ORD. Because it was an international arrival, I of course exited the secured area at the end of the process. I would need to clear security again, regardless of which terminals were involved.

After a very convenient and speedy customs clearance (I didn't yet have Global Entry, either), I took the people mover train to T5. The train was fast and convenient. The runway reconfiguration was well underway, so I knew that ORD connections were a safer bet than before. I thought, this was a good way to return to the United States.

But if the People Mover is down, and I'd have to negotiate traffic in a bus all that way? Yikes. Unless the fare is a huge savings or there is some other limiting factor, I may favor returning to the United States elsewhere until it's done.

And getting a rental car if I arrived ORD on a visit to Chicago? It's bad enough that so many airports put rental cars anywhere but right at the terminal-front garage, to begin with. The current situation sounds less than ideal.

It would behoove ORD to finish this project sooner rather than later.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

ytib

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:35 pm

I just did a T5 to T3 transfer last month (around 7pm). Buses were lined up and it took about 7 mins to get between the terminals. There are times when it is quite easy with the bus service. Customs was a mess but with Global Entry it was a breeze.

For me it was easier than taking the overcrowded train in between concourses in Denver which is only going to get worse as more flights are added with the concourse expansion. I deal with that quite often, at least the Chicago project will end soon.
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil

trnswrld

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Got to experience this mess first hand a few days ago. First mess was I got on the wrong bus because it was just all around confusing. So then had to go to that new rental car building, get on another bus back to the terminal, only to get on another back to the correct remote parking lot. Well on the bus ride back the bus blew a tire on Mannheim rd. Freakin awesome....and yes those bus drivers are NOT easy on the brakes or throttle by any means. Its an absolutely uncomfortable ride to say the least. This was all after sitting on an RJ in JAX during a ramp freeze for THREE hours, only for the crew to time out before we could leave....then slept in the JAX airport to catch the next mornings flight. Ugh :banghead:

mke717spotter

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:03 am

More train trouble at ORD: Blue Line will be suspended from 9/27 to 10/7 between the airport and the Rosemont station. More shuttle buses will be brought in. Can they make ORD anymore miserable?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

jcwr56

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:41 am

mke717spotter wrote:
More train trouble at ORD: Blue Line will be suspended from 9/27 to 10/7 between the airport and the Rosemont station. More shuttle buses will be brought in. Can they make ORD anymore miserable?

You mean 9 days to improve the tracks to make the customer experience more pleasurable over the long term?

Just like the expansion at ORD, road construction where someone lives, taking the car to the shop and home renovations. There will always be disruptions and people complaining. Personally, I just ignore those that don't see the future and are stuck in the moment.

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:06 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:

You mean 9 days to improve the tracks to make the customer experience more pleasurable over the long term?

Just like the expansion at ORD, road construction where someone lives, taking the car to the shop and home renovations. There will always be disruptions and people complaining. Personally, I just ignore those that don't see the future and are stuck in the moment.

Correct:

You are not going to find many people in Chicago upset about the current Blue Line shutdown and work... In fact... most are cheering it on.. Here are two articles that explain why.

Rahm Emanuel: In Chicago, the Trains Actually Run on Time
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/opin ... ansit.html

Where Chicago Trounces New York: Fixing Mass Transit
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/nyre ... ubway.html

I do agree a legitimate question is why not involve the people rebuilding the "L" with the O-Hara people mover project; even from just a Review perspective. I'm quite sure that they would have spotted the key issues up front... and known how to deal with them.

Have a great day,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos