Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Bamboo Airways looks at A380 lease, service to USA in 2020

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 pm

This one out of left field...

Start-up carrier Bamboo Airways intends to launch Vietnam’s first direct flights to the US by early next year on a leased Airbus A380, signaling the ambition of the newest entrant to one of Asia’s fastest-growing aviation markets. 

Trinh Van Quyet, chairman and chief executive of FLC, the Hanoi-based real estate and resorts group that owns the airline, said Bamboo had applied to US aviation authorities for permission to fly to the US and was now pinning down details of the non-stop flight. 

“We will start in the first quarter of 2020 if we get permission by the end of this year,” Mr Quyet told the Financial Times. 

The US Federal Aviation Administration in February opened the door to direct flights, awarding Vietnam a “Category 1” rating confirming the country meets international safety standards. That cleared Vietnamese airlines to fly to the US and code-share with American carriers.

Vietnam start-up Bamboo Airways eyes first direct flight to US
https://www.ft.com/content/28e5f698-963 ... c211dcd229

=

Bamboo has orders for 787-9s, though delivery not till 2021.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Polot

Re: Bamboo Airways looks at A380 lease, service to USA in 2020

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:49 pm

I’m guessing they are talking about using Hi-Fly.

ScottB

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:03 pm

I could sort of maybe understand this if there were an appreciable tourist market from the U.S. but there are a lot of closer beach destinations which also don't require entry visas (or pre-approval letters). I can see a potential connection with selling resort packages since that's the business of the ownership group but I don't think the market is there and catering to VFR traffic seems like a sure-fire way to burn cash.

Armodeen

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Lets hope it's Hi-Fly and they are not mental enough to lease their own!

BWIAirport

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Man, I keep forgetting 2020 is next year and not the distant future.

Anyway, I had always figured VN would be the first to launch US-Vietnam service with their A350 to LAX or SFO. I wish them luck but I'll believe it'll be successful when I see it.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Prost

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm

I could see this making sense if it was 30-50 seat biz class and 600+ seat coach configuration. Anything else seems dicey to me, but it’s not my money.

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:01 pm

So in other words, Bamboo Airways seeks impending bankruptcy.

Prost wrote:
I could see this making sense if it was 30-50 seat biz class and 600+ seat coach configuration.

Though I'd wonder if such a configuration could (1) reliably cover the distance of a nonstop LAX-SGN, and (2) ever hope to make money.

Going SFO-HAN would help with item-1, but would forsake the largest destination city in the USA and the largest origin market in Vietnam.

Not sure anything can help with item-2 though.

BWIAirport wrote:

When I think of the '20s, as in 1920s, I think of swing-dance and streetside nickelodeons.

....it's gonna feel so weird telling someone:
"Dude, you're behind the times-- you need to get with the '20s!"
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SQ317

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:20 pm

Regardless of economic viability, that's a long way on a very early (overweight and lower MTOW) A380..

zkojq

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:52 pm

This was the airline that ordered widebody aircraft less then three weeks after beginning operations...

Armodeen wrote:
Lets hope it's Hi-Fly and they are not mental enough to lease their own!

Let's hope for Hi-Fly's sake that they pay for the lease in advance.
First to fly the 787-9

Ishrion

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 pm

There's this tweet that's a few months old about Bamboo launching Hanoi - Taipei - LAX.

https://mobile.twitter.com/talkairlines ... 1920060416

ramzi

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:15 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

Cheers to that.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

N14AZ

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:09 am

Polot wrote:
I’m guessing they are talking about using Hi-Fly.

I flew with them several times in April. They use several TK-registered A320s with Turkish crew (the FA's were delighted when I said "Teshekuler" to them :-) ...). If true, I guess you are right. A wild card could be MH as well, shorter transfer distance from KL to Hanoi than from Portugal...

zkojq wrote:
This was the airline that ordered widebody aircraft less then three weeks after beginning operations...

And I already spotted one of them....

by N14AZ, auf Flickr

.... in their on-board magazine. :-)

ScottB wrote:
I could sort of maybe understand this if there were an appreciable tourist market from the U.S. but there are a lot of closer beach destinations which also don't require entry visas (or pre-approval letters).

??? Maybe it's different for US Americans. For Europeans it's visa on arrival in case you stay less than two weeks (and typically tourists do not stay longer than two weeks (... even though, once you had your first Pho Hanoi, you might not leave VN again...))

Slash787

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 am

BWIAirport wrote:

Anyway, I had always figured VN would be the first to launch US-Vietnam service with their A350 to LAX or SFO. I wish them luck but I'll believe it'll be successful when I see it.

Yeah there was a time when 2020 was SO FAR AWAY. Like it was the "FUTURE".

Bamboo Airways leasing A380 to start flights to the US.......Bad Idea........

peterinlisbon

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am

Hey, maybe the lease is cheap. There are certainly plenty of A380s sitting around not being used. And if they don't need to spend 50 million dollars on refurbishing them like BA then maybe they can make money. A low cost airline like this could potentially do long-haul with low frequency and save money by rolling two flights into one.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:53 pm

I still have hopes that some of these 380s could be wet leased to a variety of airlines and live on for 30 years. And be on tap for recovery after the odd volcano, ice storm etc.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

memphiX

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 pm

SFO-DAD? Can DAD handle 380s?

cloudboy

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 pm

ScottB wrote:
I could sort of maybe understand this if there were an appreciable tourist market from the U.S. but there are a lot of closer beach destinations which also don't require entry visas (or pre-approval letters). I can see a potential connection with selling resort packages since that's the business of the ownership group but I don't think the market is there and catering to VFR traffic seems like a sure-fire way to burn cash.

Somehow I don't think most American's looking to go to Vietnam are going for the beach.

There ids actually a sizeable Vietnamese population in the US, many who are second generation and interested in going back to learn about where they came from (many came over with fathers who fought in the Vietnam war). I think it is also right now one of the "hot" countries for the more adventurous tourists. I could actually see there being enough demand.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

dmstorm22

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:34 pm

cloudboy wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Somehow I don't think most American's looking to go to Vietnam are going for the beach.

There ids actually a sizeable Vietnamese population in the US, many who are second generation and interested in going back to learn about where they came from (many came over with fathers who fought in the Vietnam war). I think it is also right now one of the "hot" countries for the more adventurous tourists. I could actually see there being enough demand.

The demand has never been the issue. The yields are - are those adventurous tourists or 2nd generation Vietnamese going back to see family or connect with their roots willing to pay enough to make a flight that is that long profitable?

OA940

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Sorry but this is absurd. They're a startup, and they haven't even touched long-haul ops to Australia or Europe (where it would be much easier to get a hang of things) and they wanna use the world's largest passenger jet to fly to the complete other side of the world, which not even VN has done? I really like Bamboo and I hope they do well, but good luck with that
A350/CSeries = bae

cschleic

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:59 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
ScottB wrote:

The demand has never been the issue. The yields are - are those adventurous tourists or 2nd generation Vietnamese going back to see family or connect with their roots willing to pay enough to make a flight that is that long profitable?

That's the issue. Thai Airways has never been able to make LAX work because it's all low yielding tourist traffic and a really long flight. And I would think there's much more demand there than Vietnam right now.

UKFLYER26

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:01 pm

What could possibly go wrong ...

FlightLevel360

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:52 pm

This just made my day. Even if it doesn't materialize, it's great to see an airline believing in the power of the A380.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

jghealey

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:15 pm

There must be some kind of business case, otherwise they wouldn't be considering it (and if there's not, we'll probably never see them flying the A380). They could easily lease a smaller aircraft were it not deemed viable.

N14AZ

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:22 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Hey, maybe the lease is cheap. There are certainly plenty of A380s sitting around not being used. And if they don't need to spend 50 million dollars on refurbishing them like BA then maybe they can make money. A low cost airline like this could potentially do long-haul with low frequency and save money by rolling two flights into one.

Or maybe, it true, it’s just kind of marketing campaign, let’s say for one year or even one season only until they will receive their first Dreamliners. :scratchchin:

peterinlisbon

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:49 am

N14AZ wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

Or maybe, it true, it’s just kind of marketing campaign, let’s say for one year or even one season only until they will receive their first Dreamliners. :scratchchin:

Yes, that would make sense. I don't know why everyone is freaking out about this. These planes still have plenty of life left in them and if they can fill them, then they'll make money. HiFly seem to be doing ok.

jfk777

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:32 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

Yes, that would make sense. I don't know why everyone is freaking out about this. These planes still have plenty of life left in them and if they can fill them, then they'll make money. HiFly seem to be doing ok.

HIFLY doesn't sell tickets to passengers, they lease planes on a short term basis to airlines needing extra capacity. HiFly get paid no matter how many passengers fly.

peterinlisbon

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:54 pm

jfk777 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

HIFLY doesn't sell tickets to passengers, they lease planes on a short term basis to airlines needing extra capacity. HiFly get paid no matter how many passengers fly.

That's true, but the point is that they're making money flying A380s, probably in part because they didn't pay much for them.

speedbird52

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 pm

memphiX wrote:
SFO-DAD? Can DAD handle 380s?

My dad is not a trained pilot

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos