LAXintl
Topic Author

United Continental Holdings changing name to United Airlines Holdings

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:33 pm

Continental name dropped by Holding company per SEC filing:

Effective June 27, 2019, United Continental Holdings, Inc. amended its Certificate of Incorporation to change its name to “United Airlines Holdings, Inc.” The Bylaws of the Company have similarly been amended to reflect the name change, also effective on June 27, 2019. The Company’s common stock will continue to trade on The Nasdaq Stock Market LLC under the symbol “UAL” and its CUSIP number will not change.

SEC filing (pdf)
http://ir.united.com/static-files/9d268 ... 12d0bfb6b1
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Prost

Re: United Continental Holdings changing name to United Airlines Holdings

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Why do I sense a deteriorating thread?

tpaewr

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:40 pm

And the hope for the Tulips return burst forth across a-net!

OzarkD9S

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:55 pm

Prost wrote:

History is on your side.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

kiowa

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm

Strange place to put effort into. What is the purpose?

767333ER

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:00 pm

As Lord Palpatine would say... Good! Goooooood! :stirthepot:
Last edited by 767333ER on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

KFTG

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 pm

It's about time!

alasizon

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 pm

kiowa wrote:

Likely a matter of just trying to streamline everything and tie it into having a refreshed corporate identity as "one airline".
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

a320fan

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:10 pm

kiowa wrote:

To consolidate on the United brand. The airline is United, that’s what the flying public know it as. Continental is nothing but a distant memory of something that used to exist for everyone beyond former employees or Avgeeks. There’s no reason to still have Continental in the holding Companys name and United Airlines Holdings is much clearer to the public on what it is. Key added word is ‘Airlines’.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

max999

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:01 pm

alasizon wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Likely a matter of just trying to streamline everything and tie it into having a refreshed corporate identity as "one airline".

If management was serious about streamlining the corporate identity, they had their opportunity to get rid of the globe during the last livery refresh a few months ago. Yet they did not...
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

a320fan

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:06 pm

max999 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
kiowa wrote:

If management was serious about streamlining the corporate identity, they had their opportunity to get rid of the globe during the last livery refresh a few months ago. Yet they did not...

But the globe is now the United Corporate Identity.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

compensateme

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Legally, CO was the surviving entity.

Funny how these things work. In California, legally, United Airlines first registered to do business with the state... as People's Express! (which was adsorbed into CO, which was absorbed into UA).
https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Docum ... 08-3620944
We don’t care what your next flight is.

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 pm

compensateme wrote:
People's Express! (which was adsorbed into CO, which was absorbed into UA).

...before anyone else crucifies you, it was PeoplExpress.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

IslandRob

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Continental who? -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

CriticalPoint

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 pm

It’s about time.....this merger of equals was a disaster

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 pm

Company statement:

A truly united United
Effective June 27, 2019, we are changing the name of our parent company from United Continental Holdings, Inc. to United Airlines Holdings, Inc. to show the world we’re truly a united United, aligned behind our shared purpose and values. We filed an 8-K with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to disclose the new name on Thursday after market close. Our stock will continue to trade on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol “UAL.”
The name change reflects our desire to move our airline forward. In the past several years, we’ve worked hard to place our customers at the heart of all we do and to unite behind our shared purpose of connecting people and uniting the world. The change marks another step on our journey of showing, not just investors but the world, that we’re one team and are singularly focused on becoming the best airline for our employees, customers and everyone we serve.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

exFWAOONW

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:36 pm

compensateme wrote:

Funny how these things work. In California, legally, United Airlines first registered to do business with the state... as People's Express! (which was adsorbed into CO, which was absorbed into UA).
care to explain this a little better? I remember flying United to California many times long before there was ever a peoplexpress.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

sunking737

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 pm

The "NEW" Continental Airlines coming to the skies near you soon.
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

UA444

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 pm

compensateme wrote:

No, United is. “United continental holdings” is UAL Corp, who acquired CO in the merger. The same UAL legally as it was before. Same stock price history and all.

This name change is far over do. I prefer UAL Corp, but this will do. Now just get rid of some other leftovers.

compensateme

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 pm

UA444 wrote:
compensateme wrote:

No, United is. “United continental holdings” is UAL Corp, who acquired CO in the merger.

This name change is far over do. I prefer UAL Corp, but this will do. Now just get rid of some other leftovers.

You're right, I thought they took the CO stock certificate, but I was wrong. However, they did take the CO state charters, as well as the CO operating certificate.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

tpaewr

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 pm

I think most of us who were proud to be Continental are frankly relieved to have our legacy untethered from everything that is UA.

SFOtoORD

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:17 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Company statement:

A truly united United
Effective June 27, 2019, we are changing the name of our parent company from United Continental Holdings, Inc. to United Airlines Holdings, Inc. to show the world we’re truly a united United, aligned behind our shared purpose and values. We filed an 8-K with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to disclose the new name on Thursday after market close. Our stock will continue to trade on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol “UAL.”
The name change reflects our desire to move our airline forward. In the past several years, we’ve worked hard to place our customers at the heart of all we do and to unite behind our shared purpose of connecting people and uniting the world. The change marks another step on our journey of showing, not just investors but the world, that we’re one team and are singularly focused on becoming the best airline for our employees, customers and everyone we serve.

Its a small change, but a good symbolic message. The merger was a long time ago and the airline is its own thing now. Certainly elements of both still exist, but all of it has evolved substantially.

UA444

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:17 pm

compensateme wrote:
UA444 wrote:
compensateme wrote:

No, United is. “United continental holdings” is UAL Corp, who acquired CO in the merger.

You're right, I thought they took the CO stock certificate, but I was wrong. However, they did take the CO state charters, as well as the CO operating certificate.

No idea how state charters work, but the certificate is just an FAA thing and CO’s originally was PeopleExpress. UA’s maintenance certificate continues.

exunited

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

tpaewr wrote:
I think most of us who were proud to be Continental are frankly relieved to have our legacy untethered from everything that is UA.

As are the United employees glad to have the name synonymous with Frank Lorenzo and hordes of employees glad to cross a picket line no longer tied to United.

tpaewr

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 pm

exunited wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

As are the United employees glad to have the name synonymous with Frank Lorenzo and hordes of employees glad to cross a picket line no longer tied to United.

I dunno, I don’t think anyone under 60 remembers all that. What we do recall was this, even on the very eve of the merger.

https://www.elliott.org/blog/is-contine ... y-carrier/

What were people saying about UA then, now and for the last two decades?

exunited

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:58 pm

tpaewr wrote:
exunited wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

I dunno, I don’t think anyone under 60 remembers all that. What we do recall was this, even on the very eve of the merger.

Yeah quoting some obscure blogger makes such a strong argument. Enjoy your invented legacy as you wish so that you may sleep well at night.

Back to the topic, United now has no reason to continue under the guise of an ongoing never ending merger. NWA is gone and the name is Delta as is US Airways gone and the name is American.

tpaewr

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 am

exunited wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
exunited wrote:

Yeah quoting some obscure blogger makes such a strong argument. Enjoy your invented legacy as you wish so that you may sleep well at night.

Back to the topic, United now has no reason to continue under the guise of an ongoing never ending merger. NWA is gone and the name is Delta as is US Airways gone and the name is American.

I see you dodged the uncomfortable questions. How did people view UA, then, now, and even 20 y/o?

Let’s look back them over 2 decades now. What was CBS news and JD Power (who’s approval UA is activity still seeking still today!) Saying about CO and UA way back in 1999!!!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flyers-lik ... ental-twa/

The story is the same. CO is ranking high and UA is a mess. Most people today under 40 y/o only know UA as a terrible dysfunctional airline. Bitterly wiping away the connection to a successful rival will do nothing to fix that.

I suspect nothing short of a merger with a well run airline like DL will change much.

Let’s all say a prayer for the folks at Whataburger they are next!

Post duped, unable to delete
Last edited by tpaewr on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

tpaewr

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:47 am

exunited wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
exunited wrote:

I see you dodged the uncomfortable questions. How did people view UA, then, now, and even 20 y/o?

Let’s look back them over 2 decades now. What was CBS news and JD Power (who’s approval UA is activity still seeking still today!) Saying about CO and UA way back in 1999!!!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flyers-lik ... ental-twa/

The story is the same. CO is ranking high and UA is a mess. Most people today under 40 y/o only know UA as a terrible dysfunctional airline. Bitterly wiping away the connection to a successful rival will do nothing to fix that.

I suspect nothing short of a merger with a well run airline like DL will change much.

Let’s all say a prayer for the folks at Whataburger cause they are next!

DocLightning

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 am

kiowa wrote:

Probably took some paralegal 15 minutes and a lawyer less than 30 seconds. Given that the Continental brand is dead, it's a sensible move.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

UA444

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:16 am

tpaewr wrote:
exunited wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

Oh, so we are going by 10 year old blogs now? Then let’s what our old pal Craig Ferguson has to say

https://youtu.be/fqL14U7TtiA

KFTG

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:19 am

tpaewr wrote:

Hopefully you are untethered from United as well?

phllax

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:06 am

compensateme wrote:
UA444 wrote:
compensateme wrote:

And the CO operating certificate at the time of the merger was the PeoplExpress one.

FSDan

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:26 am

Prost wrote:

It didn't take long...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

5NFGS

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:50 am

That sure went 0-100
A 319/320/321,A 330-200/300, A 340-300/500/600, B 737-300/400/500,B 737-700/800,B 747-300/400,B 767-200 ER/300 ER, B 777-200/200 ER,CRJ 200/900/1000,DHC-8-300/Q 300, DC-10, ERJ-195,MD-11

arvo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 am

I can't say I'm all that surprised to say the least, I must say i had forgotten that the Continental name was still in the holding company.

It seams to fit to me as the "New" livery has gone to a pretty much blue livery that reminds me more of the livery of per-merger United being mostly blue tones and less of the Continental colors. I think it is only a matter of time (10+years) before everything is more United design then Continental.

Just my thoughts

Brett

VC10er

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:00 am

The holding company name is virtually meaningless, except for the investment community. United Continental Holdings is long. The statement or press release was created for any article written by someone for some industry or financial publication or USA TODAY to capture a few words from management to explain why - in a way that sounds purposeful to the general population.
The globe is a brand identity visual element only and not to warm the hearts of old CO lovers.

What stand alone UA and CO was prior to the merger are virtually all gone. Soon UNITED will be 1 of 3 US mega international airlines, a totally brand new airline with a legacy name.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Max Q

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:46 am

Goodbye to Continental

For most of its existence it was a fine airline, one of the very best, take out the Lorenzo years and you have the ‘golden tail’ era of Bob Six and then the resurgence into the much loved company under Gordon Bethune

I saw it at its worst and it’s best, I’m glad I got to be a small part of its history
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

tpaewr

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:57 am

KFTG wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

Hopefully you are untethered from United as well?

In spirit I never was, but in fact UAL still puts money into my Continental Airlines Retirement Plan every year. So I’ll stick around to collect that for a while ;)

B764er

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:13 am

Walter Varney would be impressed to see that his two airlines are now merged into one. Or like William Boeing may have thought: they have united.

Max Q

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am

B764er wrote:
Walter Varney would be impressed to see that his two airlines are now merged into one. Or like William Boeing may have thought: they have united.

Well put, it’s been an epic journey to create today’s juggernaut
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

VirginFlyer

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Max Q wrote:
B764er wrote:

Well put, it’s been an epic journey to create today’s juggernaut

Maybe they should rename the whole thing Varney Speed Lines, with a big tulip-esque V as a logo. :duck:

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

DL717

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:41 pm

tpaewr wrote:
exunited wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

CO should have let UA die on the vine, then everyone could have swept in on the fire sale. They were a mess financially, and that was before 9/11. So much so that they were denied government stabilization funds post 9/11. The merger, what a mess. CO the takeover company, was largely obscured by the United brand. UA mangers in many cases, especially at station levels being given preference over CO managers due to the kinds of bizarre agreements that were made as concessions in the merger. Rampers and mechanics in a near war as the heavily unionized UA works took advantage of not so heavily unionized CO workers. Hell, at many stations, they operated as two separate carriers under the wing based on the hub the flight was going to. CLE was a weak hub, but they could have easily moved in to Chicago to fill the United vacuum. They were already in Denver. Newark was stronger than Dulles. I recall a furloughed UA pilot who lived across the street complaining about CO pilots not getting furloughed. I had to laugh. Total mess. A sad day that the Continental name is now gone.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

SFOtoORD

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 pm

You people on both sides of this need to get over it and move on. The stupidity of pretending either side of this merger was some idyllic promised land is a joke. It’s an airline and neither sUA or sCO are alive anymore. You can all keep arguing about, but you’re both wrong and it doesn’t matter.

AAPramugari14

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Prost wrote:

You were right.. things seem to have taken a left... :stretch: :spin:

jetmechanicdave

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:20 pm

This thread is done. Thanks to those that contributed worthy information.
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos