Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

STT757
Topic Author

New EWR Airtrain, New LGA AIRTRAIN, New EWR Terminal 2

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 pm

The Port Authority today announced an increase in tolls and fares in order to pay for new items added to their capital plan. Included in the new items:

New Airtrain systems for both EWR and LGA

Planning for Terminal B replacement at EWR, to be designated Terminal 2.

https://corpinfo.panynj.gov/documents/P ... ssessment/
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

dmstorm22

Re: New EWR Airtrain, New LGA AIRTRAIN, New EWR Terminal 2

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Maybe I missed it, but I had never seen a rendering of a potential TB/2 replacement.

The drawing position of hte terminal seems odd to me though in relation to the new T1 - is that where the current Terminal A is?

ScottB

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:59 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
The drawing position of hte terminal seems odd to me though in relation to the new T1 - is that where the current Terminal A is?

So you can actually see the EWR control tower just to the left of the new T2 in the rendering. Based on that, the new T2 occupies the footprint of Terminal A, the short term parking for A, the southern half of the hotel, the southern half of Terminal B, and the southern half of short term parking B -- basically everything between where Satellite B-2 is now and the new T1.

dmstorm22

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 pm

ScottB wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

So you can actually see the EWR control tower just to the left of the new T2 in the rendering. Based on that, the new T2 occupies the footprint of Terminal A, the short term parking for A, the southern half of the hotel, the southern half of Terminal B, and the southern half of short term parking B -- basically everything between where Satellite B-2 is now and the new T1.

Good call on doing it in relation to the ATC.

Yeah, this is going to be quite an overhaul if they're going to repurpose current parking area for hte terminal space.

voxkel

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:12 pm

The LGA airtrain is nearly pointless. Goes to Willets Pt, the opposite side from Manhattan, only served by one LIRR line and the 7 train. A bus is still probably going to be faster for 95% of pax.

exFWAOONW

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:42 pm

If they really want to make a statement, they should have airtrain connect all three major airports. (I know, not in my lifetime.)
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

STT757
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:47 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
ScottB wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Yeah, this is going to be quite an overhaul if they're going to repurpose current parking area for hte terminal space.

The goal of the new Terminal One, Two and eventually Terminal Three is to move the Central Terminal area further West of their current locations. This will allow a third parallel runway to be constructed to allow simultaneous landings and departures.

From what I understand the future Terminal Three will be developed over land where the current runway 11/29. So the airport will still have three runways.

tphuang

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:51 pm

LGA airtrain is a waste of public money. Just extend PATH train to reach EWR. Is that really so difficult?

STT757
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:40 pm

tphuang wrote:
LGA airtrain is a waste of public money. Just extend PATH train to reach EWR. Is that really so difficult?

It’s already approved in the plan, page 3 under “PATH”.

https://corpinfo.panynj.gov/documents/P ... ssessment/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

evank516

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm

voxkel wrote:
The LGA airtrain is nearly pointless. Goes to Willets Pt, the opposite side from Manhattan, only served by one LIRR line and the 7 train. A bus is still probably going to be faster for 95% of pax.

In a perfect world it should have been planned for Woodside, but unfortunately nothing's perfect with this. It's still worth it though especially since the Q70 doesn't operate at a reliable frequency.

Jerseyguy

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 am

I haven't been in Terminal B in awhile but Terminal A is an eyesore and really an embarrassment. Being between EWR and PHL, PHL is my preferred airport because I mostly fly the airlines in Terminal A. If it wasn't for cheap fares between EWR and AUS, I would never use EWR. So I'm glad the Port Authority has decided to clean up their act.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 am

STT757 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

The goal of the new Terminal One, Two and eventually Terminal Three is to move the Central Terminal area further West of their current locations. This will allow a third parallel runway to be constructed to allow simultaneous landings and departures.

From what I understand the future Terminal Three will be developed over land where the current runway 11/29. So the airport will still have three runways.

Do you have anymore insight on the new terminals 1, 2, and 3?

csavel

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Actually, for LGA they should extend the N train to LGA AND build Airtrain but to Jamaica. Once Airtrain is built from LGA Jamaica, a few of those trains can run non-stop between LGA and JFK. While not seemless you'd still have to go through security, LGA can then server as a sort of "domestic terminal" to JFK.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

airboss787

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Really good to see EWR getting refreshed. As someone who flies from there multiple times a year, it is great to see more development nd growth there. I quite like terminal C right now so hoping for good things.
Star Alliance Gold

CleSyrRoc

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Not sure if it is just the angle of the renderings, but the new Terminal 2 makes the new Terminal 1 look miniscule. Just wow.

The US airport building boom continues

flybaby

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:47 pm

I am trying to understand what they are planning at EWR...

It looks like they might be looking at leaving the old airtrain to run between the existing terminals and between them and a transfer station to the “new” airtrain that would carry passengers to the NE Corridor heavy rail station. Am I understanding this correctly?

Extending the PATH to EWR... is this going to involve new tracks or will the existing Amtrak/NJT tracks be modified to also carry PATH trains?

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:55 pm

The main terminal of the new Terminal Two will be built behind the ATC tower, the concourses will be built over what is now the Terminal A and B short term parking. The the new concourses will end in the are of where the front of the current Terminal B is located. Moving the new terminal further West opens up space to either build a third parallel runway or to move runway 4L 22R further West.

You can see the new Airtrain alignment in the briefing book, they're going to build temporary walkways to the current Terminal B and Terminal C. The locations of the new stations correspond to the alignment of the future Terminal 2 and Terminal 3.

The EWR redevelopment is being phased like this:
Terminal One (2021) new Airtrain (2024) PATH extension (2025) Terminal Two (2026) Terminal Three (2027?..).

https://www.panynj.gov/business-opportu ... g-book.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

flybaby

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:02 pm

voxkel wrote:

Agree. The current plan is silly.

Extending the N train or the “8 Train” idea makes more sense.

flybaby

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:08 pm

STT757 wrote:
You can see the new Airtrain alignment in the briefing book, they're going to build temporary walkways to the current Terminal B and Terminal C. The locations of the new stations correspond to the alignment of the future Terminal 2 and Terminal 3.

Ah, gotcha. So the old monorail is completely going away. Good riddance I guess. That thing is slow as @zz.

That said, looks like a pretty long walk from terminal B.

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:17 pm

One thing of interest for those who know the area well, in the second rendering of the new Terminal Two if you zoom in one can see the alignment of the new Airtrain. It continues past the new Terminal One across Route 1&9 where there appears to be three huge parking garages. This appears to be part of plan by the Authority to expand the airport property by pushing long term parking and possible more hotels connected to the new Airtrain across the highway. Very interested in that development, also as part of the PATH extension they are going to make the Airlink station open to street traffic so that will lead to tons of new development in and around the Northeast corridor Airlink station.

https://corpinfo.panynj.gov/files/uploa ... ession.pdf

LAX772LR

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:04 pm

So has the LGA train received final-approval or not? Lot of conflicting info online.

Excited, as the lack of rail access (and thus having to deal with street traffic) is the primary reason I avoided LGA.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:21 pm

The LGA and EWR Airtrains will be up for final approval at the board meeting on December 12.

YYZLGA

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:22 pm

It's a shame these new terminal placements at EWR are making the addition of an independent parallel runway on the western edge of the airport impossible. The RPA has a good plan for it.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:48 pm

STT757 wrote:
The LGA and EWR Airtrains will be up for final approval at the board meeting on December 12.

Do you know if the plan for the potential terminal 3 is for 3 or 2 concourses? Also any mention of the airlines going to terminal 1? Is DL finally making the move?

CleSyrRoc

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:04 pm

Will moving 4L/22R to the west result in a meaningful increase in capacity? What about end-around taxiways for 4L/22R on both ends?

flyPIT

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:46 pm

STT757 wrote:
The main terminal of the new Terminal Two will be built behind the ATC tower, the concourses will be built over what is now the Terminal A and B short term parking. The the new concourses will end in the are of where the front of the current Terminal B is located. Moving the new terminal further West opens up space to either build a third parallel runway or to move runway 4L 22R further West.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Compare the new T1 concourse to the scale and placement of the of the ends of the new T2 concourses. Looks like the new T2 concourses will extend all the way out to where the existing satellites are.

The first image in the pdf pretty clearly shows the T2 concourses extending all the way out to the existing parallel taxiways:
https://corpinfo.panynj.gov/files/uploads/documents/board-meeting-information/board-committee-meeting-presentations/CPEAM_-_EWR_Terminal_2_-_Public_Session.pdf

.... or to the top of the purple shaded area in the below image:

Furthermore, having 3 closely spaced dependent parallel runways does very little to increase IFR capacity.
FLYi

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Zoom in on the second rendering in that link, the concourses don’t even extend further East then the Fed Ex buildings depicted in the picture you posted.

flyPIT

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:03 pm

STT757 wrote:
Zoom in on the second rendering in that link, the concourses don’t even extend further East then the Fed Ex buildings depicted in the picture you posted.

The concourses extend east at least as far as the eastern side of the FX building. There is no way they will put in a (useless) third runway and another set of parallel taxiways in that space.
FLYi

aemoreira1981

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:08 pm

voxkel wrote:

The problem for going the other way is a need to tunnel...you would need to tunnel under the Grand Central Parkway or under Runway 4 and then declare eminent domain on some apartment buildings to the west to account for the rise.

dampfnudel

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:19 pm

STT757 wrote:

Terminal One (2021) new Airtrain (2024) PATH extension (2025) Terminal Two (2026) Terminal Three (2027?..).

I think they’ll most likely move 22R further west. That makes the most sense.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

voxkel

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Why not just extend PATH directly to the terminals instead of replacing Airtrain with a new Airtrain? Would be much more convenient. Is an elevated PATH serving all the 3 terminals that much more expensive?

tphuang

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Any idea on what the gate lease situation look like for Terminal 1? While I personally like to see B6 get as many gates as possible, I really just want to see any other domestic carriers that care to expand (like NK or F9) get sufficient gates for expansion. I hate EWR being such a captive market.

dampfnudel

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 pm

STT757 wrote:

They’re replacing terminal C/3 too? I wasn’t expecting that given the age of the terminal.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:58 pm

dampfnudel wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They’re replacing terminal C/3 too? I wasn’t expecting that given the age of the terminal.

By 2027 the main Check in, baggage terminal head house will be over 50 years of age. Concourses C-1 and C-2 will be 40 years old and C-3 will be 27 years of age. Continental and later United have done a remarkable job with the facility, with the different parts of the building being 50, 40 and 30 years of age it is time to start planning.

T5towbar

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:28 am

tphuang wrote:
Any idea on what the gate lease situation look like for Terminal 1? While I personally like to see B6 get as many gates as possible, I really just want to see any other domestic carriers that care to expand (like NK or F9) get sufficient gates for expansion. I hate EWR being such a captive market.

There hasn't been an allocation of gates yet. Lots of rumors floating around about who is getting what, but I know that Frontier and Spirit will probably come over to the new Terminal One (leaving DL at B-1).

Right now, at present, here is who has what, and what I would guess what will happen. WN is now gone from EWR, and those primetime slots will not be used, so to alleviate congestion during the evening rush. So right now Gate 10; 14 & 15 in the old terminal are unused now.

B6 presently has 3 gates (16 & 17. It also uses Gate 18 - which is the CUTE gate.) B6 also gives up Gate 17 in the afternoons for the AC YVR daily flight - 17 is a widebody gate that can handle the Dreamliner. You would think they will get 3 to 4 gates in the new terminal. My bet is 4.

AS presently has 3 gates (30; 31; and 32) They will probably get 3 to 4 gates in the new terminal. My bet is 4

F9 will be coming to the new terminal. I think they presently have 1 gate in B-1. They may get 2 gates. My bet is 2

NK presently have 2 gates in B-1. They will be coming over as well. Probably get 2 gates. My bet is 2

AC presently have 2 gates in A-1 (11 & 12) I understand that 2 of the gates in the new terminal can or will be widebody capable. The YVR flight will stay for now. If that is the case, UA can run it's domestic widebody flights (LAX-SFO) out of those gates during the downtime. AC will get 2 gates to stay close to UA. But once the new Terminal 2 comes online, it is possible to move to the new Terminal 2. My bet is 2 plus the use of a widebody gate for YVR

AA presently have 6 gates (Gates 33-39) Probably get the same as they have 6. My bet is 6

UA will get the rest of the gates (probably on the head end they way the renderings appear to look) to run the Express ops. But I would think that those will be multiple type use gates that can handle from the 145; the CR5; the 175; and the 737/320 especially if weather shuts down Express Ops. Then it will be mainline aircraft since Terminal C will be constrained. And I think that a hardstand operation (5 gates) that Terminal C presently has (130 W thru Z) can come over to the new terminal as well, once the satellites are demolished.

I'm just speculating on what will happen, but right now, the framing is up and it is coming together very fast. It looks really good.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

len90

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:50 am

T5towbar wrote:
tphuang wrote:

There hasn't been an allocation of gates yet. Lots of rumors floating around about who is getting what, but I know that Frontier and Spirit will probably come over to the new Terminal One (leaving DL at B-1).

Right now, at present, here is who has what, and what I would guess what will happen. WN is now gone from EWR, and those primetime slots will not be used, so to alleviate congestion during the evening rush. So right now Gate 10; 14 & 15 in the old terminal are unused now.

B6 presently has 3 gates (16 & 17. It also uses Gate 18 - which is the CUTE gate.) B6 also gives up Gate 17 in the afternoons for the AC YVR daily flight - 17 is a widebody gate that can handle the Dreamliner. You would think they will get 3 to 4 gates in the new terminal. My bet is 4.

AS presently has 3 gates (30; 31; and 32) They will probably get 3 to 4 gates in the new terminal. My bet is 4

F9 will be coming to the new terminal. I think they presently have 1 gate in B-1. They may get 2 gates. My bet is 2

NK presently have 2 gates in B-1. They will be coming over as well. Probably get 2 gates. My bet is 2

AC presently have 2 gates in A-1 (11 & 12) I understand that 2 of the gates in the new terminal can or will be widebody capable. The YVR flight will stay for now. If that is the case, UA can run it's domestic widebody flights (LAX-SFO) out of those gates during the downtime. AC will get 2 gates to stay close to UA. But once the new Terminal 2 comes online, it is possible to move to the new Terminal 2. My bet is 2 plus the use of a widebody gate for YVR

AA presently have 6 gates (Gates 33-39) Probably get the same as they have 6. My bet is 6

UA will get the rest of the gates (probably on the head end they way the renderings appear to look) to run the Express ops. But I would think that those will be multiple type use gates that can handle from the 145; the CR5; the 175; and the 737/320 especially if weather shuts down Express Ops. Then it will be mainline aircraft since Terminal C will be constrained. And I think that a hardstand operation (5 gates) that Terminal C presently has (130 W thru Z) can come over to the new terminal as well, once the satellites are demolished.

I'm just speculating on what will happen, but right now, the framing is up and it is coming together very fast. It looks really good.

A1 10, 14,15 are now marketed on the inside for Air Canada. Flew through there on 11/9 where it was empty vacant space landing overnight 11/16-11/7 where it was all Air Canada signage up. Just a quick look at Air Canada's site confirms that those former WN gates are not sitting vacant. Air Canada seems to be using A15 for Toronto and A14 for Montreal.

B6 has 18, 17, 16, 16A making it a four gate operation right now. They put the extra jet bridge in where a plane used to sit on a hardstand. B6 definitely gets four gates in the new terminal with no sharing like they currently do with AC.
Len90

tphuang

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:17 am

T5towbar wrote:
tphuang wrote:

B6 will already have more than 4 gates in the present terminal by early next year. It's hard to imagine they would go backward in gate count in the new terminal. So your bet is quite wrong. If UA gets all the additional gates and none of the other carriers do, then EWR can continue to be the least competitive airport in all of New York area.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:41 am

T5towbar wrote:
tphuang wrote:

What in the world would delta do with all of B1? I think DL moves to terminal 1 and UA consolidates ops. to terminals b and C. Or in a very unlikely scenario they could both move to T1 and B1 is either demolished in preparation for Terminal 2 or B1 gets connected to the customs facility allowing for less constraints on B2 and 3.

T5towbar

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm

I stand corrected on Gates 16 and 16A for B6. They used to be wide body gates for UA and since WN was on 15 with 737’s the 16 gate could be shifted and another gate was created. Notice that Gate 16A comes before Gate 16 (gate is not number sequenced). Note: when B6 came over to A1 in the gate swap with UA (21 & 22), B6 kept their BMU at A2 instead of moving it to A1. Rumor has it that it would be better to keep it there because the system at A1 was old and breaks down often. So the deal with UA stipulated the BMU stays at A2 and they would shuttle their bags to A1. So they are running 4 gates (Gate 18 is technically a Common use gate). I may revise my bet and they could possibly get 5 gates in the new terminal. (Who has more ops: B6 or AS)

I didn’t hear any rumors that DL will come over to the new terminal yet. The PA would not let UA use Gates 40 and 41 anymore. I thought that was part of the deal with DL. I’m not sure. But UA won’t be consolidating anything at B1. Just NK and F9 is coming over. But If a new Terminal B gets built, who knows. There could be another shift of players and gates.

UA will still get the majority of the gates and will bring the Gate 130 remote V-Z hard stand ops as well. And wide body ops (LAX-SFO) as well if the plans still call for two widebody gates. The Express operation is still large here (Terminal A) at 16 E145 type gates with 5 of them capable for E175 and the crj550 and 4 for a 737 series. And two of them can handle a 757 as well. So the Gate footprint for the UAX wouldn’t be as large as you would think. If you look at the diagrams the gates are designed for 320/737 type ac. And only AC and B6 has the 190 (does AA still fly the 190 into EWR?) There will still be some E170-75 still at certain gates at Term C, but the majority of the express ops will be part of the new terminal. And some mainline when express is shut down.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

tphuang

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:41 pm

T5towbar wrote:
I stand corrected on Gates 16 and 16A for B6. They used to be wide body gates for UA and since WN was on 15 with 737’s the 16 gate could be shifted and another gate was created. Notice that Gate 16A comes before Gate 16 (gate is not number sequenced). Note: when B6 came over to A1 in the gate swap with UA (21 & 22), B6 kept their BMU at A2 instead of moving it to A1. Rumor has it that it would be better to keep it there because the system at A1 was old and breaks down often. So the deal with UA stipulated the BMU stays at A2 and they would shuttle their bags to A1. So they are running 4 gates (Gate 18 is technically a Common use gate). I may revise my bet and they could possibly get 5 gates in the new terminal. (Who has more ops: B6 or AS)

B6 is scheduled to have 35 to 36 flights a day in April. It's already the second largest carrier at EWR and looking to expand even more. AS has in the teens and unlikely to expand. B6 is already getting most of the access to 5 gates next year. Otherwise they simply cannot run the schedule they have planned. Next summer, B6 is going to grow 40 to 50% capacity YoY at EWR. The question for me is if they will get even more gate access that WN left behind or any more gate than that at new T1. They along with NK and F9 seem to be the only ones looking to expand.

If PANY/J cares at all about consumers, they should allow for more gates access to the 3 carriers looking to expand. Whether that's dedicated gates or even CUTE gates with no preferential access. Whether or not FAA will allow for more flights is a different story.

jfklganyc

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:44 pm

There’s no new runway coming to Newark or any New York area airport

if you live work and play here you know that is obvious

You are taking the fantasies of one poster and running with it as if it is a plan

By moving the terminals back they are doing exactly what they are doing at the new Laguardia… Giving themselves much-needed ramp space

If they try to move that runway an inch west there would be a decade of lawsuits for those under the new approach path.

Forget squeezing in a new runway in what is already a tight airport...there is no room

Capacity issues will be increased thru larger equipment and better technology.

That is it for NYC

tmu101

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:23 am

Will runways 11/29 remain after these new terminals are completed?

STT757
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:32 pm

tmu101 wrote:
Will runways 11/29 remain after these new terminals are completed?

Some discussions include building out the new Terminal 3 over the area now occupied by runway 11/29. But this is a ten year process, right now they are solidifying the plan for Terminal Two.

1. Terminal One
2. New Airtrain
3. PATH extension
4. Terminal Two
5. Terminal 3

ddaly241

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Is there more information on terminal 2.? Also, is there a design for terminal 3?

spinotter

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:46 pm

csavel wrote:
Actually, for LGA they should extend the N train to LGA AND build Airtrain but to Jamaica. Once Airtrain is built from LGA Jamaica, a few of those trains can run non-stop between LGA and JFK. While not seemless you'd still have to go through security, LGA can then server as a sort of "domestic terminal" to JFK.

That is the sort of thinking that I highly commend. Is this project on the map anywhere governmental? If one compares public transport in the USA with that say in the UK, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Hong Kong, Japan, almost anywhere else, you see in the USA the results of not adequately funding public infrastructure. Not sure if it's because they don't tax enough here in the USA or if they just waste the money here in the USA, or both. Not one kilometer of high-speed rail in the old USA.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:54 pm

I hope EWR gets an airtran that can actually handle cold weather! I have so many times at night in the winter where that thing is broken. The maintenance guy once told me it breaks everytime it gets really cold. I believe him 100% from what i have seen. The people who installed that must have really thought Global warming at some super accelerated pace LOL

jfklganyc

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:04 pm

spinotter wrote:
csavel wrote:

That is the sort of thinking that I highly commend. Is this project on the map anywhere governmental? If one compares public transport in the USA with that say in the UK, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Hong Kong, Japan, almost anywhere else, you see in the USA the results of not adequately funding public infrastructure. Not sure if it's because they don't tax enough here in the USA or if they just waste the money here in the USA, or both. Not one kilometer of high-speed rail in the old USA.

Everybody blames funding for lack of infrastructure, but if the government tomorrow tried to build a mega project in in New York City, they would face years upon years of litigation

And it is ironic that New York City is very left-leaning, and left-leaning people tend to want to fund infrastructure more, but those same people put up a huge fight if a project is going to affect their area.

Getting mega projects done requires an entity or a person or a board with very consolidated power to make decisions for the greater good...and that is impossible in the US

airzim

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm

spinotter wrote:
csavel wrote:

Two words, "Cross Rail"

spinotter

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
spinotter wrote:
csavel wrote:

Everybody blames funding for lack of infrastructure, but if the government tomorrow tried to build a mega project in in New York City, they would face years upon years of litigation

And it is ironic that New York City is very left-leaning, and left-leaning people tend to want to fund infrastructure more, but those same people put up a huge fight if a project is going to affect their area.

Getting mega projects done requires an entity or a person or a board with very consolidated power to make decisions for the greater good...and that is impossible in the US

If there were a national infrastructure plan that could be agreed upon by all parties in the USA, with a vision toward sustainability, and if people affected by the projects were to be convinced it was helpful to their own interests, that of their community, and that of their nation, then any project might be possible.