Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
aklrno
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 pm

aeropix wrote:
aklrno wrote:
When the train is done it will probably get much better. At least we can hope. .


Sure, but like most Southern Californians I'm guessing that you and everybody else is hoping that others will take the train so that your car journey to the terminal will be faster. I lived there for 20 years growing up and realized that was the overwhelming sentiment about public transport in Los Angeles - wishing that everyone else would use public transit so that my car commute would be faster.

I doubt this train thing by itself is the answer to the congestion. More likely multiple mandatory offsite remote checkin locations and mandatory consolidated offsite rental car facilities combined with enforced compulsory use of the train and a $10 road toll facility at the entrance to the terminal loop costing billions of dollars (which will never be forthcoming) would be the only viable solution.

Perhaps I was unclear when I used the word train. I was referring to the APM. I’m not a SoCal resident, and I will use the APM. The APM will be part of a consolidated off-site car rental as well as an external transport hub. I expect that people will use it for pickup and drop off if is to their advantage. Frequent travelers learn quickly. The APM is not “public transit” like a bus or commuter train. That’s like saying a moving sidewalk is public transport and the elite would walk instead. Getting the hotel/car rental/parking shuttles out of the central area will help a lot. I don’t know why you blame Uber/Lyft. There are still far more friend/relative cars in the CTA. UBER and lyft don’t even use the lower level and that seems pretty horrible to me. Even before those two there were taxis.
 
blockski
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:02 pm

aklrno wrote:
aeropix wrote:
aklrno wrote:
When the train is done it will probably get much better. At least we can hope. .


Sure, but like most Southern Californians I'm guessing that you and everybody else is hoping that others will take the train so that your car journey to the terminal will be faster. I lived there for 20 years growing up and realized that was the overwhelming sentiment about public transport in Los Angeles - wishing that everyone else would use public transit so that my car commute would be faster.

I doubt this train thing by itself is the answer to the congestion. More likely multiple mandatory offsite remote checkin locations and mandatory consolidated offsite rental car facilities combined with enforced compulsory use of the train and a $10 road toll facility at the entrance to the terminal loop costing billions of dollars (which will never be forthcoming) would be the only viable solution.

Perhaps I was unclear when I used the word train. I was referring to the APM. I’m not a SoCal resident, and I will use the APM. The APM will be part of a consolidated off-site car rental as well as an external transport hub. I expect that people will use it for pickup and drop off if is to their advantage. Frequent travelers learn quickly. The APM is not “public transit” like a bus or commuter train. That’s like saying a moving sidewalk is public transport and the elite would walk instead. Getting the hotel/car rental/parking shuttles out of the central area will help a lot. I don’t know why you blame Uber/Lyft. There are still far more friend/relative cars in the CTA. UBER and lyft don’t even use the lower level and that seems pretty horrible to me. Even before those two there were taxis.


The APM is exactly like public transit. It's good, high quality public transit.
 
Elementalism
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Never flown into LAX. But will probably be making it a regular stop soon due to work. But I would imagine there are times of the day it is a total disaster due to a rush of departures or arrivals. I have flown into\out of ORD, ATL, JFK, DFW, DEN, PHX, CDG and have had good experiences. But about a month ago on the way to SLC on a tuesday morning at 6am I walked into MSP and the security line is all the way to the middle of the terminal and wrapped around. Never seen a security line like that anywhere. I bet that was a 2+ hour wait easy for TSA. My TSA-Pre line was 30 minutes. Usually it is a 5 minute wait through MSP in TSA-Pre. But I bet if it was 9am the lines would be easy peasy at MSP.
 
aklrno
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:51 am

So you are presuming LAX probably has some bad problems based on the fact that you had a bad day at MSP and you have never even been to LAX? You can have a long TSA line at any major airport in the country, but before bashing one it would help to have some actual experience. Please try again in this thread when you actually have something to add.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15100
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:38 am

jsnww81 wrote:
blockski wrote:

Yes, time and time again, the only proven way to reduce congestion is to tax it.

The APM won't reduce congestion in and of itself, but it will give travelers another option (several, actually) for where to be dropped off. That should make the overall experience much better.

The next step would be financial - some kind of fees or tolls for entering the loop, better management strategies for the TNCs (Uber, Lyft, etc), and so on.


World Way won't get better until they get Uber and Lyft out of there. The rental car shuttle drivers are buttholes, sure, and removing the buses and vans will help a lot, but the congestion spiraled out of control when rideshare appeared on the scene a few years ago. I haven't seen any formal announcement on where rideshares will go when the people mover opens yet, but I'm hopeful it will be to one of the new remote facilities. And I say that as someone who uses rideshare to get to/from LAX nearly every week.

When the ground transportation center opens up I'll happily get dropped off/picked up there if I can be assured of a more reliable entry/exit.

Careful. Ive been pointing this out for a while and get attacked. Ride share has caused massive congestion. Some locals who used to park remote are now clogging the loop. And tons of visitors are taking rideshare instead of super shuttle type services or car rental. Even if visitors were taking black sedans before, they would park in short term and then exit the center exit, not clog the loop.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
Bradin
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 am

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:19 pm

ikramerica wrote:
jsnww81 wrote:
blockski wrote:

Yes, time and time again, the only proven way to reduce congestion is to tax it.

The APM won't reduce congestion in and of itself, but it will give travelers another option (several, actually) for where to be dropped off. That should make the overall experience much better.

The next step would be financial - some kind of fees or tolls for entering the loop, better management strategies for the TNCs (Uber, Lyft, etc), and so on.


World Way won't get better until they get Uber and Lyft out of there. The rental car shuttle drivers are buttholes, sure, and removing the buses and vans will help a lot, but the congestion spiraled out of control when rideshare appeared on the scene a few years ago. I haven't seen any formal announcement on where rideshares will go when the people mover opens yet, but I'm hopeful it will be to one of the new remote facilities. And I say that as someone who uses rideshare to get to/from LAX nearly every week.

When the ground transportation center opens up I'll happily get dropped off/picked up there if I can be assured of a more reliable entry/exit.

Careful. Ive been pointing this out for a while and get attacked. Ride share has caused massive congestion. Some locals who used to park remote are now clogging the loop. And tons of visitors are taking rideshare instead of super shuttle type services or car rental. Even if visitors were taking black sedans before, they would park in short term and then exit the center exit, not clog the loop.


It's not just rideshare. From personal experience, I see a lot of congestion caused by hotel shuttles, private parking shuttles, and people who clearly should not be driving.
 
grbauc
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:37 pm

aklrno wrote:
So you are presuming LAX probably has some bad problems based on the fact that you had a bad day at MSP and you have never even been to LAX? You can have a long TSA line at any major airport in the country, but before bashing one it would help to have some actual experience. Please try again in this thread when you actually have something to add.



reading his post He is expecting a average experience at LAX. His only bad trip was once at MSP. His post does relate, you just have to listen to his point.
 
BlatantEcho
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:11 am

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:33 pm

I did a day trip to LAX on Tuesday. PDX-LAX arriving at 930am. LAX-PDX departing 550pm.

Zero issues of timeliness in either direction.
Traffic in and out of terminal was no hassle at all.

Realize it might not have been peak Monday morning or something, but, it was very very painless.
 
DTWLAX
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: LAX congestion getting out of control?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:41 am

It is not just the rideshares or the car rental or hotel shuttles causing congestion. Part of the reason is also the fact that more people are parking in the central parking structure these days due to lack of adequate long-term parking.
LAX used to have two big long-term parking options - Lot B and Lot C.
Lot B was converted to an employee lot about 8-10 years ago leaving just Lot C as the long-term parking option. Today Lot C has been reduced to about 20-25% of it original size leaving very little parking spots for long-term parking. There are other private parking lots nearby but the capacity reduction from Lot B and C has caused a lot of problems as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos