Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
smartplane
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:37 pm

2019/2020 are base years for CORSIA formula. There are financial advantages for airlines to strategically retire less fuel efficient aircraft, once their base year is measured and confirmed, to maximise year on year benefits, but not over achieve, as this makes future goals more challenging.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:50 am

UPlog wrote:
Confirmed LHC will accelerate the retirement of MD-11 by end of 2020.

As a result, ordering two additional 777F for delivery in 2020

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -o-462057/
https://cargofacts.com/allposts/busines ... ore-777fs/



MD-11 F 48806 646 D-ALCN Lufthansa Cargo ferried 26nov19 FRA-VCV for onward storage


After D-ALCE and D-ALCM, yesterday it was the very last MD-11 produced-turn to leave the fleet.
 
Northpole
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 am

ltbewr wrote:
These MD's are pushing 20+ years from when originally made, likely to need heavy mx checks especially for corrosion, are a difficult bird to land, fuel thirsty, and the 3rd engine is difficult to work on. Time to (sadly) move on.

Well ;You are right - but FedEx operates a fleet of DC 10:s with an average age of some 41 years and their (FedEx) MD11:s are 26.2 years old - this compared to Lufthansas MD11:s which are some 20.3 years old. Lufthansa are also keel know for looking after their birds... so economics is probably the answer to the retirement.
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6602
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 am

LH historically used their MD-11s a good deal more intensively than FedEx has in recent years. The 777F has taken over most of FedEx's high-utilization flying and a substantial number of MD-11s are just flying one round trip a day to a domestic destination. The LH MD-11s have quite high hours.
 
2175301
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:04 am

While a few may fly for another cargo airline. I suspect that most will be sold for parts, and likely half of those through the scrapping process (as the scrappers salvage and sell usable parts).

I doubt any MD-11's will be flying in another decade; except possibly a few "exhibition" frames for certain collections that are more museum related than operational related.

On the other hand... Long Live the DC-3 and its conversions.

Have a great day,
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4643
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:49 am

2175301 wrote:
While a few may fly for another cargo airline. I suspect that most will be sold for parts, and likely half of those through the scrapping process (as the scrappers salvage and sell usable parts).

I doubt any MD-11's will be flying in another decade; except possibly a few "exhibition" frames for certain collections that are more museum related than operational related.

On the other hand... Long Live the DC-3 and its conversions.

Have a great day,

Indeed. Delta recently bought 6 MD-11Fs just so they could salvage the engines for the 767 fleet. NW did something similar with ex Swissair 743s. Buy the frame, take the engines, then sell the hulk.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:54 am

UA444 wrote:
SEPilot wrote:
Sean-SAN- wrote:

Naa, these birds were probably maintained impeccably, and as of last month I already saw one LH bird at the western global hangar in SHV. They'll get picked up and used for quite a while. Probably by Western Global or a third world operator.

It doesn’t really matter how well they are maintained if parts are unavailable or prohibitively expensive. Seeing as only about 200 were ever built the supply of used parts will also dry up soon. Boeing has absolutely zero incentive to help keep them flying, and there are boatloads of second hand 767s out there that can be converted, and are much cheaper to fly and maintain. Support for them will not go away soon, they are still being built.

Except they do have incentives to make parts, and likely are contractually obligated from original airlines like FX who isn’t retiring them.


Yes but there comes a time when they can say no to providing new parts and kill off a dead horse.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:05 am

UA444 wrote:
smartplane wrote:
UA444 wrote:
Except they do have incentives to make parts, and likely are contractually obligated from original airlines like FX who isn’t retiring them.

At some point the cost of carrying product liability insurance, and maintaining / updating model documentation encourages an OEM to price support and parts, not to recover costs plus margin, but to ground the remaining fleet.

With Boeing pretty much owning the dedicated air freighter market, formally ending support for the MD11 (or pricing to achieve the same result) is likely to trigger orders for new or converted 777's and / or 747's, though not necessarily on a one for one basis.

Wrong. Boeing is legally obligated to continue to ensure the safe and reliable operation of the aircraft, for those that fly it and the safety of us on the ground. Boeing even still has to support the DC-8 and there are only 4 flying.


Do as Delta did they custom made repair & replacement parts for their Northwest DC9's.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3578
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:10 am

LAXintl wrote:
Well at least LH is staying in the freighter business. AFKL has barely any left, while BA exited the business.

Europe does not seem to the market place for legacy airlines to operate freighters these days.


The bellies of 777/787/A350 can carry a lot of cargo reducing the need for dedicated cargo fleets for passenger airlines.
 
asr0dzjq
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:36 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 am

PLEASE let the last one ever built keep flying
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:44 am

rbavfan wrote:
The bellies of 777/787/A350 can carry a lot of cargo reducing the need for dedicated cargo fleets for passenger airlines.


The passenger version of the MD-11 was already capable of carrying lots of cargo, especially compared to the 747, and as you said newer generations are continuing the trend.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 am

2175301 wrote:
While a few may fly for another cargo airline. I suspect that most will be sold for parts, and likely half of those through the scrapping process (as the scrappers salvage and sell usable parts).

I doubt any MD-11's will be flying in another decade; except possibly a few "exhibition" frames for certain collections that are more museum related than operational related.

On the other hand... Long Live the DC-3 and its conversions.

Have a great day,

Demand is high for dedicated freighters in Iran. MD-11s are designed to run forever.
 
bennett123
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:17 pm

Slight political problem.
 
OlafW
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Northpole wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
These MD's are pushing 20+ years from when originally made, likely to need heavy mx checks especially for corrosion, are a difficult bird to land, fuel thirsty, and the 3rd engine is difficult to work on. Time to (sadly) move on.

Well ;You are right - but FedEx operates a fleet of DC 10:s with an average age of some 41 years and their (FedEx) MD11:s are 26.2 years old - this compared to Lufthansas MD11:s which are some 20.3 years old. Lufthansa are also keel know for looking after their birds... so economics is probably the answer to the retirement.


In addition to the technical parts, Frankfurt Airport will increase landing fees for loud aircraft in 2020. Currently the MD-11 is about 20% more expensive on landing fees compared to the 77F. It can be expected that the difference will be quite a bit bigger next year. Also, additional fees for arriving/departing during night curfew will increase from 200% extra to somewhere between 300 and 500%. Certainly not much compared to fuel costs, but still another nail in the coffin.
 
TheWorm123
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:39 am

blacksoviet wrote:
2175301 wrote:
While a few may fly for another cargo airline. I suspect that most will be sold for parts, and likely half of those through the scrapping process (as the scrappers salvage and sell usable parts).

I doubt any MD-11's will be flying in another decade; except possibly a few "exhibition" frames for certain collections that are more museum related than operational related.

On the other hand... Long Live the DC-3 and its conversions.

Have a great day,

Demand is high for dedicated freighters in Iran. MD-11s are designed to run forever.

And this isn’t even an A380 thread
B757-200 B757-300 A330-200 A321-200 B737-800
 
744lover
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2000 5:29 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:06 am

asr0dzjq wrote:
PLEASE let the last one ever built keep flying



Sorry, CN has been ferried to VCV on 26-Nov... https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... n#22fa8dd0

:-(
 
2175301
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:38 am

blacksoviet wrote:
2175301 wrote:
While a few may fly for another cargo airline. I suspect that most will be sold for parts, and likely half of those through the scrapping process (as the scrappers salvage and sell usable parts).

I doubt any MD-11's will be flying in another decade; except possibly a few "exhibition" frames for certain collections that are more museum related than operational related.

On the other hand... Long Live the DC-3 and its conversions.

Have a great day,

Demand is high for dedicated freighters in Iran. MD-11s are designed to run forever.


In my opinion, should Iran wish to purchased a used western air-frames: Iran would be much better off acquiring some used 767F, instead of any of the MD 10-11 family. Perhaps even used 767 for passenger service as well.

It would seem to me that used parts are available world wide.

Of course; I am unaware of the technicalities of the embargo. But, since many other things are smuggled in - it should not be that hard to arrange ways to get well used 767's and parts as they are available worldwide from many sources.

Have a great day,
 
Moosefire
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:51 am

seabosdca wrote:
LH historically used their MD-11s a good deal more intensively than FedEx has in recent years. The 777F has taken over most of FedEx's high-utilization flying and a substantial number of MD-11s are just flying one round trip a day to a domestic destination. The LH MD-11s have quite high hours.


FWIW Most domestic MD-11s fly 4 legs a day (two sorts a day, in and out). The utilization is pretty high, though the average stage length is certainly shorter than what LH flew.
Last edited by Moosefire on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot
 
User avatar
Terrier79
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:52 am

744lover wrote:
asr0dzjq wrote:
PLEASE let the last one ever built keep flying



Sorry, CN has been ferried to VCV on 26-Nov... https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... n#22fa8dd0

:-(

Isn’t it that VCV has been used for storage of MD11s by Lufthansa Cargo before, not for scrapping? I recall MD11s being stored there during the last economic downturn that were reactivated after.

If the bird was ferries to TUL, that would’ve been the end for sure, but with VCV, there is some hope left that this bird returns to the sky.
 
asr0dzjq
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:36 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:52 am

744lover wrote:
asr0dzjq wrote:
PLEASE let the last one ever built keep flying

Sorry, CN has been ferried to VCV on 26-Nov... https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... n#22fa8dd0
:-(

Then let's hope another airline or someone will pick it up
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 am

This is quite tragic.

I really hope the next batch of new airplanes have unique defining aesthetic features to them. The skies are getting more boring by the day.
 
Northpole
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 pm

OlafW wrote:
Northpole wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
These MD's are pushing 20+ years from when originally made, likely to need heavy mx checks especially for corrosion, are a difficult bird to land, fuel thirsty, and the 3rd engine is difficult to work on. Time to (sadly) move on.

Well ;You are right - but FedEx operates a fleet of DC 10:s with an average age of some 41 years and their (FedEx) MD11:s are 26.2 years old - this compared to Lufthansas MD11:s which are some 20.3 years old. Lufthansa are also known for looking after their birds... so economics is probably the answer to the retirement.


In addition to the technical parts, Frankfurt Airport will increase landing fees for loud aircraft in 2020. Currently the MD-11 is about 20% more expensive on landing fees compared to the 77F. It can be expected that the difference will be quite a bit bigger next year. Also, additional fees for arriving/departing during night curfew will increase from 200% extra to somewhere between 300 and 500%. Certainly not much compared to fuel costs, but still another nail in the coffin.


Good point ! Agree
 
asr0dzjq
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:36 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
This is quite tragic.
I really hope the next batch of new airplanes have unique defining aesthetic features to them. The skies are getting more boring by the day.

We can only hope that the last four/five off the line will still be flying for another operator. If they get scrapped than it will truly be sad.
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.
 
MRYapproach
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:58 am

PC12Fan wrote:
PW100 wrote:
trent768 wrote:
Well, she's a beautiful lady. She'll never looks ugly no matter what she wear :D



The word lady may only be applied to Concorde!

Since Concorde, every tube and wing is a HE!


Except for the Queen of the skies! :biggrin:

Regards


Absolutely. I saw my first 747-8 Lufthansa last week at Haneda and she looks as good as ever. Maybe better.

As someone who is involved with Asia manufacturing, I get why the air freight market is on fire (globally). It could the main reason the 777 won out over the A330. Sometimes those cargo holds from TPE, HKG, and anywhere from China might be worth more than the PAX upstairs. But what is the main market for LH cargo?
 
9Patch
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 am

PW100 wrote:
trent768 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Well, she's a beautiful lady. She'll never looks ugly no matter what she wear :D



The word lady may only be applied to Concorde!

Since Concorde, every tube and wing is a HE!


So the Queen of the Skies is a HE?

Ohooooo... that kind of 'queen'. :puckerup:

Image
 
UPS757Pilot
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:22 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:18 am

UPS has agreed to acquire two Lufthansa MD-11s in early 2020. I wonder what is the fate of the rest?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:46 pm

UPS757Pilot wrote:
UPS has agreed to acquire two Lufthansa MD-11s in early 2020.


Most probably as parts source to maintain their fleet.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4643
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:21 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
UPS757Pilot wrote:
UPS has agreed to acquire two Lufthansa MD-11s in early 2020.


Most probably as parts source to maintain their fleet.


Depends on which ones they buy. The newest ones might be fine for many more years of service, and will help increase the lift they need to keep their pilots happy. Plenty of non-picked over MD-11 in the desert already, even the Martinair ones are still relatively intact so spares shouldn't be an issue.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline will be the last to retire the MD-11?


Currently, Lufthansa Cargo, FedEx, UPS, Western Global are operating the type. As this thread suggest, Lufthansa may retire its fleet this year. Your guess is as good as mine.
 
User avatar
DL757NYC
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:07 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline will be the last to retire the MD-11?


Currently, Lufthansa Cargo, FedEx, UPS, Western Global are operating the type. As this thread suggest, Lufthansa may retire its fleet this year. Your guess is as good as mine.



Western Global bought all its MD-11’s from Lufthansa I believe
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:49 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline will be the last to retire the MD-11?


Currently, Lufthansa Cargo, FedEx, UPS, Western Global are operating the type. As this thread suggest, Lufthansa may retire its fleet this year. Your guess is as good as mine.

My guess it that UPS will be the last airline to retire the MD-11. They were one of the last operators of the 747-100. FedEx will be the last to retire the MD-10. How many DC-10s are still flying with a Flight Engineer?
 
dcs921
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:00 am

DL757NYC wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline will be the last to retire the MD-11?


Currently, Lufthansa Cargo, FedEx, UPS, Western Global are operating the type. As this thread suggest, Lufthansa may retire its fleet this year. Your guess is as good as mine.



Western Global bought all its MD-11’s from Lufthansa I believe


Their most recent additions came from Lufthansa. The rest came from a variety of sources.

Sky Lease still has 1 MD-11 left flying too.
 
69bug
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:33 am

Fedex may be in if 1)its cheap and b) if the planes have low cycles/hours.

The first MD-11s in FX are hitting 25years. While LH aircraft are not exactly low-time, they are the last few MD-11 made (some were bought used though) and LH have a reputation for keeping on top of maintenance. That is the main issue with buying used aircraft.. things like ADs need to be done and documented. Some airlines are not as good at keeping all the work documented.

bug
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4643
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:47 am

69bug wrote:
Fedex may be in if 1)its cheap and b) if the planes have low cycles/hours.

The first MD-11s in FX are hitting 25years. While LH aircraft are not exactly low-time, they are the last few MD-11 made (some were bought used though) and LH have a reputation for keeping on top of maintenance. That is the main issue with buying used aircraft.. things like ADs need to be done and documented. Some airlines are not as good at keeping all the work documented.

bug


The most recent MD-11 that FX parked in the past week or so had just over 80,000 hours but north of 20,000 cycles. Their high time airframes have over 100,000 hours. Plenty of parked MD-11 passenger and freighters parked, so no pressing need for spares. Someone might pull a DL and buy a bunch for their engines.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
Canuck600
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:29 am

Wouldn't it be more likely a smaller carrier like Western Global would be the last operator as they have fewer financial resources to invest in something more modern?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:10 am

Canuck600 wrote:
Wouldn't it be more likely a smaller carrier like Western Global would be the last operator as they have fewer financial resources to invest in something more modern?

It’s possible but Western Global also has less money to buy spare parts, spare engines, engine overhauls, maintenance, and junkyard aircraft for parts donation.
 
Canuck600
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:05 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Canuck600 wrote:
Wouldn't it be more likely a smaller carrier like Western Global would be the last operator as they have fewer financial resources to invest in something more modern?

It’s possible but Western Global also has less money to buy spare parts, spare engines, engine overhauls, maintenance, and junkyard aircraft for parts donation.


Just looked at Western Global's webpage, they are running General Electric CF6-80C2 for there entire fleet, I'm assuming that means there 747's a well so that gives them economy of scale. Interesting operation
 
787X30
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:42 am

69bug wrote:
[...] While LH aircraft are not exactly low-time, they are the last few MD-11 made (some were bought used though) and LH have a reputation for keeping on top of maintenance. [...]

All used ones are gone from fleet since 2014/5. All remaining are built-newly-for-LH freighters.
 
crownvic
Posts: 2657
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 pm

Most important, no one has brought up the fate of these two:
Captain Inge and Copilot Claudia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzsGG-SPkVs&t=2136s
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1706
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:02 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which airline will be the last to retire the MD-11?


Currently, Lufthansa Cargo, FedEx, UPS, Western Global are operating the type. As this thread suggest, Lufthansa may retire its fleet this year. Your guess is as good as mine.

My guess it that UPS will be the last airline to retire the MD-11. They were one of the last operators of the 747-100. FedEx will be the last to retire the MD-10. How many DC-10s are still flying with a Flight Engineer?

Can only be this way since FedEx is the only MD-10 operator...
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:10 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Can only be this way since FedEx is the only MD-10 operator...


Wrong: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/cp-2791 & https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n330au
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1706
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:23 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Can only be this way since FedEx is the only MD-10 operator...


Wrong: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/cp-2791 & https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n330au

I stand corrected...
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4643
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 am

WayexTDI wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Can only be this way since FedEx is the only MD-10 operator...


Wrong: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/cp-2791 & https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n330au

I stand corrected...


That entire operation is very closely associated with FX though, the change of name of the operator is pretty much a formality.

Other than that, DC-10 wise, we got 10 Tanker, Omega, and the USAF as the Dutch are ending their use.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
sdf880
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:13 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:49 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
UPS757Pilot wrote:
UPS has agreed to acquire two Lufthansa MD-11s in early 2020.


Most probably as parts source to maintain their fleet.


Was told both going to be brought up to UPS specs (minor differences) and going on-line!
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1706
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Spacepope wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:


That entire operation is very closely associated with FX though, the change of name of the operator is pretty much a formality.

Other than that, DC-10 wise, we got 10 Tanker, Omega, and the USAF as the Dutch are ending their use.

Orbis Flying Eye Hospital, yes; but not TAB Cargo, right? Does TAB Cargo have anything to do with FedEx?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:56 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Does TAB Cargo have anything to do with FedEx?


Unless they have an agreement with FedEx to fly the MD-10, I don't think so. As far as I know, their fleet only consist of that aircraft nowadays.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:59 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
I stand corrected...


That entire operation is very closely associated with FX though, the change of name of the operator is pretty much a formality.

Other than that, DC-10 wise, we got 10 Tanker, Omega, and the USAF as the Dutch are ending their use.

Orbis Flying Eye Hospital, yes; but not TAB Cargo, right? Does TAB Cargo have anything to do with FedEx?


TAB doesn't have anything to do with FX as far as I know. But, their plane is a ex-FX bird.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4643
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
I stand corrected...


That entire operation is very closely associated with FX though, the change of name of the operator is pretty much a formality.

Other than that, DC-10 wise, we got 10 Tanker, Omega, and the USAF as the Dutch are ending their use.

Orbis Flying Eye Hospital, yes; but not TAB Cargo, right? Does TAB Cargo have anything to do with FedEx?


Whoops, well that's what I get for not ckicking through the links.

That operator is a new one on me. Neat!
The last of the famous international playboys
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:58 pm

sdf880 wrote:
Was told both going to be brought up to UPS specs (minor differences) and going on-line!


That would be great to have them in the air for a little longer. Just for the record, this month, it's been thirty years since the MD-11 took off for the first time.
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6602
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: Lufthansa Cargo considers retiring all MD-11s in 2020

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am

sdf880 wrote:
Was told both going to be brought up to UPS specs (minor differences) and going on-line!


If this ends up happening, it is quite a compliment to LH maintenance. These are high-hour aircraft and normally you wouldn't expect a refit to be worth it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos