mark8762
Topic Author

United A319 emergency landing at EWR (June 30)

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Saw this on FAA website regarding Newark airport (KEWR)

Newark International Airport (EWR) Real-time Status
The status information provided on this site indicates general airport conditions; it is not flight-specific. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.
Due to OTHER / EMERGENCY, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 36 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
Delays by Destination: No destination-specific delays are being reported.
General Departure Delays: Due to OTHER:Aircraft Emergency, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 1 hour and 1 minute and 1 hour and 15 minutes in length and increasing.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

Ishrion

Re: Newark ground stop, what is going on?

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 pm

https://twitter.com/nycparisil/status/1 ... 4441300992

A plane landed with hydraulic issues and it’s on the runway so the whole airport is shut down. It sounds like everyone on that flight is safe and that’s good to hear. As someone that’s currently on a flight that’s still stuck on the ground, pls be efficient Newark

It's reopened now: https://twitter.com/EWRairport/status/1 ... 3531962369

Runway28L

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:27 pm

Looks like it was UA2098 LGA-IAH. Diverted to EWR due to hydraulic problems and it blew both tires on landing. Locked up brakes?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/UA2098

FR24 says it’s now scheduled to fly EWR-SMF later tonight. Really??

7gm7

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Just saw quick clip on Fox, looked like an A319 I would say

Cointrin330

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:36 pm

LGA-IAH A319 flight had to make an emergency landing.

UA947

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Runway28L wrote:
…. Looks like it was UA2098 LGA-IAH. Diverted to EWR due to hydraulic problems and it blew both tires on landing...….

Just imagine what could have happened if it had had six tires.

G500Captain

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Looks like it was UA2098 LGA-IAH. Diverted to EWR due to hydraulic problems and it blew both tires on landing. Locked up brakes?

I'll preface this with saying I’m not an Airbus pilot. But on the jets I've flown, the backup hydraulic/braking systems do not utilize an anti-skid system. This allows for the anti-skid to break and the aircraft will still be able to brake. When this happens it can be very difficult to apply enough braking and not lock up a set of tires, even on a long runway.
Every time I get on an airliner, I’m reminded why I have a job.

MO11

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:39 pm

Runway28L wrote:

It would have, if the original airplane had made the scheduled return from IAH to EWR. You can't totally rely on future flight information from the "tracking" sites, particularly with irregular ops (i.e. you have to understand what you're looking at).

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm

G500Captain wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

I'll preface this with saying I’m not an Airbus pilot. But on the jets I've flown, the backup hydraulic/braking systems do not utilize an anti-skid system. This allows for the anti-skid to break and the aircraft will still be able to brake. When this happens it can be very difficult to apply enough braking and not lock up a set of tires, even on a long runway.

Would the pilots have been aware of this factor?
I'm guessing the answer to that should be yes, in which case how would reverse thrust mitigate this?
(i.e. AFAIK on most landings reverse thrust is used for a brief period only, but could be used to a greater extent if you were aware in advance of an issue affecting the normal wheel brakes)
Nothing to see here; move along please.

lightsaber

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:12 pm

MO11 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

It would have, if the original airplane had made the scheduled return from IAH to EWR. You can't totally rely on future flight information from the "tracking" sites, particularly with irregular ops (i.e. you have to understand what you're looking at).

The issues though should be fixable overnight.

Bummer, but why we have redundant systems.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

astaz

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:22 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
G500Captain wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

I'm guessing the answer to that should be yes, in which case how would reverse thrust mitigate this?
(i.e. AFAIK on most landings reverse thrust is used for a brief period only, but could be used to a greater extent if you were aware in advance of an issue affecting the normal wheel brakes)

Reverse thrust is not as effective as you may be thinking. Granted, if you think you are going off roading, you’d use it as long as possible. However, even on a nice long Newark runway, you are going to use the alternate brakes. A little more touchy than the usual ones, fairly easy to blow the tires.

My big question is: why the evacuation. I’m sure there is more we’re not aware of yet, but, a hydraulic issue and landing even with multiple system failures/blown tires wouldn’t normally lead to an Evac. Will be interesting to see what the full story is.

Cubsrule

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:43 pm

astaz wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
G500Captain wrote:

Reverse thrust is not as effective as you may be thinking. Granted, if you think you are going off roading, you’d use it as long as possible. However, even on a nice long Newark runway, you are going to use the alternate brakes. A little more touchy than the usual ones, fairly easy to blow the tires.

My big question is: why the evacuation. I’m sure there is more we’re not aware of yet, but, a hydraulic issue and landing even with multiple system failures/blown tires wouldn’t normally lead to an Evac. Will be interesting to see what the full story is.

Blown tires will likely kick up a lot of dust/smoke. So, flight attendants initiating an evacuation because they thought the airplane was on fire is a good guess.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

N757ST

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 pm

G500Captain wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

The airbus has 3 hydraulic systems, green blue and yellow. Normal braking is achieved on the green system. If the green system fails, the yellow system now takes over and you have anti skid still. If both the yellow and the green fail (not unheard of because they are linked via a PTU) then you have alternate breaking via the accumulators but no anti skid or nose wheel steering.

Someone said use thrust reversers.... well the reversers on the bus are hydraulic. Left reverser is on the green system, right reverser on the yellow system.

N757ST

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:31 pm

ALso, on the enhanced A320 (easy to tell up front, they have LCD desplays) even after blue and green loss you’d still have nose wheel steering.

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:56 pm

N757ST wrote:
The airbus has 3 hydraulic systems, green blue and yellow. Normal braking is achieved on the green system. If the green system fails, the yellow system now takes over and you have anti skid still. If both the yellow and the green fail (not unheard of because they are linked via a PTU) then you have alternate breaking via the accumulators but no anti skid or nose wheel steering.

Someone said use thrust reversers.... well the reversers on the bus are hydraulic. Left reverser is on the green system, right reverser on the yellow system.

'twas me that asked if extra thrust reverse would help soften the load on the wheel brakes.
Now I've got a follow-on question; what idiot came up with the idea of asymmetric thrust reverse in case of (partial) hydraulic failure?
(ok, so I'm being overly melodramatic there - I'm sure there is actually a good excuse - but I have got to ask the question)
Is it a case of asymmetric RT is better than none at all? I guess I have just answered my own question..... :old:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

N757ST

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Even at full reverse only on one side there’s not really a large yaw force, the engines don’t have a huge lever arm and reverse thrust really doesn’t give you a whole ton of braking power in the first place. The brakes are far more effective at bringing the airplane to a stop. You can lose both systems and still have breaking. If you lose all three systems then break long is the absolute least of your worries has you are controlling the jet with rudder pedals and pitch trim...

strfyr51

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:14 pm

astaz wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
G500Captain wrote:

The Evac is at the discretion of the Captain and the Lead Flight attendant. We can second guess Later? But we have NO Idea what they knew at the time.
We have plenty of slides so it's not that big of a deal..

jayunited

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Although UA has not issued a final report what I'm able to access from home says the flight experienced a dual hydraulic failure after takeoff from LGA, the captain decided to divert to EWR because it has a longer runway than LGA. After landing at EWR the captain was advised of heavy smoke possible fire from the left main gear truck and the captain order the evacuation using the doors on the right side of the aircraft only.

RDUDDJI

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:14 pm

jayunited wrote:
Although UA has not issued a final report what I'm able to access from home says the flight experienced a dual hydraulic failure after takeoff from LGA, the captain decided to divert to EWR because it has a longer runway than LGA. After landing at EWR the captain was advised of heavy smoke possible fire from the left main gear truck and the captain order the evacuation using the doors on the right side of the aircraft only.

Evac was the correct option. Don't have the luxury of time to wait for CFR to come out and tell you if there's fire or not. If there we're a fire, those few minutes could be fatal.

Years ago UA had a 320 blow an engine on departure at IAD. They stopped on the runway (it was early). They hit the fire suppression (which worked, but again no way to verify in a few seconds), and evaced out the other side of the aircraft. Interestingly enough, the only person to get hurt was the captain who got a rope burn shimmying down a rope. Why he didn't just use the 1R slide was a mystery and was joked about for a long time.

Evacs are costly, but the right call when you have no way to verify that everything is ok outside the aircraft.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

FlightLevel360

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:33 pm

The aircraft that experienced the incident is N837UA (ship number 4037).
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

CarlosSi

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 pm

I suppose using an alternative runway in case such a blowout grounds the airport wouldn’t be an option? (Winds permitting?).

Or maybe not a blowout but in the event the aircraft needs to just be stopped as soon as possible? I guess it’s too rare to complicate.

G500Captain

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

N757ST wrote:
Even at full reverse only on one side there’s not really a large yaw force, the engines don’t have a huge lever arm and reverse thrust really doesn’t give you a whole ton of braking power in the first place. The brakes are far more effective at bringing the airplane to a stop. You can lose both systems and still have breaking. If you lose all three systems then break long is the absolute least of your worries has you are controlling the jet with rudder pedals and pitch trim...

Just curious, the jets I fly nearly always have an accumulator for the T/R’s that normally allow for at least one deployment and stow cycle. Does the bus not have this feature?

A dual failure out of three systems... not a good day.
Every time I get on an airliner, I’m reminded why I have a job.

im1cody

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:43 am

That combined with the weather today created a remarkable sh*tshow. I was rebooked 5 times with the hopes of getting to MEM today only to be on a flight through IAH early tomorrow morning. 4 mechanical delays and the fullest I've seen terminal C not during the holidays. Hoping there won't be a third instance of this before the month is out.

astaz

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:52 am

CarlosSi wrote:
I suppose using an alternative runway in case such a blowout grounds the airport wouldn’t be an option? (Winds permitting?).

Or maybe not a blowout but in the event the aircraft needs to just be stopped as soon as possible? I guess it’s too rare to complicate.

Usually the airport is closed due to the availability of Crash Fire Rescue. With all the trucks out attending to the emergency, especially if they get used, they are not ready to respond in the event of another incident. Once they stand down and re-fill the trucks, the airport opens.

darlyn

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:19 am

Evac was probably because the left main gear got shredded:

KLASM83

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:29 am

Right down to the axle. Looks like a new MLG strut, too, that will need to be replaced. Glad everyone is ok!
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

KCaviator

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:29 am

G500Captain wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Just curious, the jets I fly nearly always have an accumulator for the T/R’s that normally allow for at least one deployment and stow cycle. Does the bus not have this feature?

A dual failure out of three systems... not a good day.

The Embraer 175 also does not have what you describe. System 1 powers ENG 1 REV and System 2 powers ENG 2 REV. If you lose either, then no REV on the respective side. Lose 1 and 2 then no REV at all.

slcguy

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:33 am

Wow I bet that was quite a show as it was going down the runway with a lot of smoke and sparks! Wonder if any video will turn up. I would imagine there is also some wing flap damage from tire debris.

Babyshark

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:00 am

Avherald says the crew advised they expected to be able to vacate the runway. The RAT is also still stowed and the flaps and slats in one of the pictures both look to be extended. So imho I want to doubt this was a loss of dual hydraulics through the landing. A JB incident comes to mind a few years ago where they initially had a dual loss of hydraulics but then recovered one, and that's a whole different ball game then landing with a dual.

And dual failures are, shall we say, a funny mix of be methodical and get it right and hurry up and land, and this crew took about 17 minutes to bring it back down in EWR so that's probably the right amount of get it right and get it down. So if it was a dual failure good on them. Screw the gear pictures, kiss the FAs on the way out the door because you done did good.

However to have flaps + slats + NWS operatives, and a dual, that would be a sick combo of things.

Because if it was dual with G+Y, unless the flaps were already still out when they failed, you wouldn't have any flaps or steering in classic or the enhanced so you wouldn't mention taxing off. And you'd be in a big pickle with this one and given flaps out you'd probably failed very early and I doubt you'd continued to 8000' in that case staring at that ECAM- but who knows. I'd also would demand JFK for the runway.

G+B you wouldn't have slats and they do look extended unless they failed already out, but in a classic you wouldn't talk of taxing off the runway and in an enhanced you could but you wouldn't have normal braking so most crews would probably just want to stop on the runway anyways. And G+B you might extend the RAT depending on how you lost the B.

B+Y in a classic would mean you didn't lose normal braking which would be the likely culprit to blown tires and in an enhanced you would have lost NWS and wouldn't be talking about exiting the runway.

All that to say the hydraulic system is pretty layered. The risk to the tires where you have the 1000 PSI MAX in the QRH mostly comes from G+Y failure, Brakes Anti Skid NWS fault, electrical emergency configuration, dual engine failure (we can rule that one out), a compounding abnormal landing gear after gravity extension (a G failure), elec dc bus 1+2 fault in an enhanced, loss of braking (something you wouldn't know in advance).

I don't know. That's just the QRHs for the two types with no compounding issues and assuming Avherald is even accurate. It's always interesting to learn what happened when they finally say what happened but until then it's all ASSuming.

DocLightning

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:32 am

So in 13 days, UA has managed to close EWR with a 752 and now an A319. At least this aircraft should be back in the air in a few weeks.

I'm not saying that this is a sign of anything amiss at UA. It's a huge airline and bad luck happens. Incidents don't seem to be related. But during the MAX grounding, this is some rotten luck indeed.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

reltney

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 am

UA947 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
…. Looks like it was UA2098 LGA-IAH. Diverted to EWR due to hydraulic problems and it blew both tires on landing...….

Agree, most likely less damage if it had 4.....For the 319 it is not a heavy plane but when you start stretching the 320:to a 321 and 737;all the way to the 737/9/10,:it is idiotic! The speeds and weight those 2 tires are subjected to.

At our airline, the brake tempature is a BIG deal on both those planes. During the summer, months, it is common to have a concourse run out of brake fans and use the air conditioned air from the jetway just to help cool those stupid 2 wheel units. No problems with the 4 wheel units of the 757 mainly due to the very slow approach speeds (even when heavy) and the 4 brakes on each side. Almost every commute home from my base, the pilot usually tells the tower they will be leaving the gear down a bit after lift off for cooling. I witness it all the time when on the jump seat. It’s the short turn times at the hub and sometimes the brakes are still hot as we push. It’s been 6 years ago but I taxied around a airbus sitting between B and C concourse in ATL because the brakes froze up and it could not move for 60 min. When I taxied out, it was still there! Pax had to deplane on the ramp onto a bus to get back to the terminal.

Can’t beat the 4 wheel bogie!

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

zeke

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:25 am

KLASM83 wrote:
Right down to the axle. Looks like a new MLG strut, too, that will need to be replaced. Glad everyone is ok!

They have new wheels on it pretty fast to tug it away

Babyshark wrote:
Avherald says the crew advised they expected to be able to vacate the runway. The RAT is also still stowed and the flaps and slats in one of the pictures both look to be extended. So imho I want to doubt this was a loss of dual hydraulics through the landing. A JB incident comes to mind a few years ago where they initially had a dual loss of hydraulics but then recovered one, and that's a whole different ball game then landing with a dual.

And dual failures are, shall we say, a funny mix of be methodical and get it right and hurry up and land, and this crew took about 17 minutes to bring it back down in EWR so that's probably the right amount of get it right and get it down. So if it was a dual failure good on them. Screw the gear pictures, kiss the FAs on the way out the door because you done did good.

However to have flaps + slats + NWS operatives, and a dual, that would be a sick combo of things.

Because if it was dual with G+Y, unless the flaps were already still out when they failed, you wouldn't have any flaps or steering in classic or the enhanced so you wouldn't mention taxing off. And you'd be in a big pickle with this one and given flaps out you'd probably failed very early and I doubt you'd continued to 8000' in that case staring at that ECAM- but who knows. I'd also would demand JFK for the runway.

G+B you wouldn't have slats and they do look extended unless they failed already out, but in a classic you wouldn't talk of taxing off the runway and in an enhanced you could but you wouldn't have normal braking so most crews would probably just want to stop on the runway anyways. And G+B you might extend the RAT depending on how you lost the B.

B+Y in a classic would mean you didn't lose normal braking which would be the likely culprit to blown tires and in an enhanced you would have lost NWS and wouldn't be talking about exiting the runway.

All that to say the hydraulic system is pretty layered. The risk to the tires where you have the 1000 PSI MAX in the QRH mostly comes from G+Y failure, Brakes Anti Skid NWS fault, electrical emergency configuration, dual engine failure (we can rule that one out), a compounding abnormal landing gear after gravity extension (a G failure), elec dc bus 1+2 fault in an enhanced, loss of braking (something you wouldn't know in advance).

I don't know. That's just the QRHs for the two types with no compounding issues and assuming Avherald is even accurate. It's always interesting to learn what happened when they finally say what happened but until then it's all ASSuming.

Given the gear doors are retracted, partial spoilers, slats/flaps in takeoff position, I’m guessing the problem was identified just after liftoff and the remained in the configuration.

This could be a human error maintenance issue, emergency generator test, or something else that needed the leak measurement valve closed on the green system.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

N757ST

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:37 am

reltney wrote:
UA947 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

Agree, most likely less damage if it had 4.....For the 319 it is not a heavy plane but when you start stretching the 320:to a 321 and 737;all the way to the 737/9/10,:it is idiotic! The speeds and weight those 2 tires are subjected to.

At our airline, the brake tempature is a BIG deal on both those planes. During the summer, months, it is common to have a concourse run out of brake fans and use the air conditioned air from the jetway just to help cool those stupid 2 wheel units. No problems with the 4 wheel units of the 757 mainly due to the very slow approach speeds (even when heavy) and the 4 brakes on each side. Almost every commute home from my base, the pilot usually tells the tower they will be leaving the gear down a bit after lift off for cooling. I witness it all the time when on the jump seat. It’s the short turn times at the hub and sometimes the brakes are still hot as we push. It’s been 6 years ago but I taxied around a airbus sitting between B and C concourse in ATL because the brakes froze up and it could not move for 60 min. When I taxied out, it was still there! Pax had to deplane on the ramp onto a bus to get back to the terminal.

Cheers

My airline (not united) has wheel brake fans equipped on all of our airbuses. They work very very well.

zeke

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:05 am

reltney wrote:

4 wheel bogie is a customer option on the A320 series just like inbuilt brake fans.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

CALTECH

Re: United A319 emergency landing at EWR (June 30)

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Green and Yellow systems were lost after takeoff from LGA..........
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos