zkncj

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread -July 2019

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:10 pm

a7ala wrote:
I'm hearing rumours that JQ are planning to pull out 2 aircraft from New Zealand. Not sure whether they are both A320's or one of each. I presume the CHC-SYD cancellation is part of that.

Anyone know any more?

Well didn't they say with then dropped CHC-SYD that the aircraft could goto better use within the Qantas Group, looks like some more A320's for QLink

ZK-NBT

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:40 pm

a7ala wrote:
I'm hearing rumours that JQ are planning to pull out 2 aircraft from New Zealand. Not sure whether they are both A320's or one of each. I presume the CHC-SYD cancellation is part of that.

Anyone know any more?

Mainly a Tasman reduction replaces by QF maybe? Or use Australian based aircraft instead for the Tasman,? I don’t think they will pull Q300s?

777ER
Head Moderator

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:59 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
a7ala wrote:

Anyone know any more?

Mainly a Tasman reduction replaces by QF maybe? Or use Australian based aircraft instead for the Tasman,? I don’t think they will pull Q300s?

I know the Q300s are based in AKL, but isn't the JQ A320 fleet rotated through New Zealand ops?
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

zkncj

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm

777ER wrote:
I know the Q300s are based in AKL, but isn't the JQ A320 fleet rotated through New Zealand ops?

Correct the a320s are all Australian based although there’s is about 10 of them that like to call New Zealand home and get live here’s for a couple of weeks at time.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:13 pm

777ER wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
a7ala wrote:

Anyone know any more?

There’s so many JQ A320s, but I think it’s 9 based in NZ at any one time these days? Usually the Tasman aircraft start their day in NZ as it allows better timing of flights ie, 2 return trips a day a morning and afternoon service. Probably leaves 5-6 aircraft on NZ domestic routes on any given day I’m guessing. I’ve not checked their frequency in NZ for a while.

ZKOAB

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:04 pm

PA515 wrote:
ZK-NNF (msn 8839) D-AYAR did a Taxi / RTO on Fri 28 Jun and again on Mon 01 Jul, so I would expect a first flight tonight. It's about five days between the first and second flights, so mid July it should arrive in NZ.

ZK-MVZ (msn 1562) F-WWET had it's second (14 min) flight on Mon 01 Jul from LFBO (TLS) to LFBF (Francazal). This surprised me as ZK-MVZ is already painted and Francazal has paint hangars but is mostly used for storage. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-wwet

PA515

Your contributions/fleet delivery info are always appreciated PA515.
I was thinking there should be deliveries soon and sure enough your post answered my curiosity.

tu2130

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:46 am

ZK-NZF wth an N/A flight in Auckland just now 13:38 pm to 13:41 pm
Air New Zealand. Proud to fly.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:52 am

tu2130 wrote:
ZK-NZF wth an N/A flight in Auckland just now 13:38 pm to 13:41 pm

Doesn’t look like it’s going to fly today as it would have a flight number, it did a taxi test and possible engine run on Thursday so it can’t be to far away from a test flight and service re entry, it hasn’t flown in well over a year.

planemanofnz

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:23 pm

With LA's AKL - SCL flight dropping from 7x to 4x weekly from October, how much will this positively impact on NZ's AKL - EZE flight? For the first time, NZ will have the lead on frequencies between New Zealand and South America (5x weekly, versus LA's 4x weekly), helping boost attractiveness to corporate traffic and exporters - but not sure if this traffic is that significant.

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:33 am

planemanofnz wrote:
With LA's AKL - SCL flight dropping from 7x to 4x weekly from October, how much will this positively impact on NZ's AKL - EZE flight? For the first time, NZ will have the lead on frequencies between New Zealand and South America (5x weekly, versus LA's 4x weekly), helping boost attractiveness to corporate traffic and exporters - but not sure if this traffic is that significant.

Cheers,

C.

I’m not convinced personally that LA will drop to 4 weekly, however it is often said a higher portion of PAX go to SYD than AKL hence the non stop SYD service, MEL is dropping to 3 weekly and he smaller 788, maybe a 3 weekly tag from AKL? And BNE has been mentioned in the past so maybe an AKL-BNE tag?

If nothing happens then it will be interesting, NZ seem to be doing well in EZE, will we see 6 weekly ( was planned last NW but due RR issues didn’t happen) or even daily, not yet sure how much slack NZ have given ICN 3-5 weekly, TPE and ORD 5 weekly.

VirginFlyer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:41 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I’m not convinced personally that LA will drop to 4 weekly, however it is often said a higher portion of PAX go to SYD than AKL hence the non stop SYD service, MEL is dropping to 3 weekly and he smaller 788, maybe a 3 weekly tag from AKL? And BNE has been mentioned in the past so maybe an AKL-BNE tag?

If nothing happens then it will be interesting, NZ seem to be doing well in EZE, will we see 6 weekly ( was planned last NW but due RR issues didn’t happen) or even daily, not yet sure how much slack NZ have given ICN 3-5 weekly, TPE and ORD 5 weekly.

I wonder if NZ would look at SCL as a destination in itself?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

zkncj

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
There’s so many JQ A320s, but I think it’s 9 based in NZ at any one time these days? Usually the Tasman aircraft start their day in NZ as it allows better timing of flights ie, 2 return trips a day a morning and afternoon service. Probably leaves 5-6 aircraft on NZ domestic routes on any given day I’m guessing. I’ve not checked their frequency in NZ for a while.

A couple of JQ's Auckland based A320s go on after hour adventures too example MEL/RAR.

Example: Yesterday VH-VFX
AKL-DUD
DUD-AKL
AKL-WLG
WLG-AKL
AKL-WLG
WLG-AKL
AKL-RAR
RAR-AKL

Arrived back into AKL at 4:30am this morning, ready start its long day back on Domestic.

NTLDaz

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:42 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

V/F

I guess it would be a challenging destination. LA dropping to 4 pw probably says something about the market. Also , you have the issue of connections from SCL so would rely heavily on O and D.

Apart from people visiting Chile I'm not sure how much this would bring to NZ which they don't get from EZE.

Zkpilot

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:14 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

V/F

Not with the current market size. Maybe down the track. NZ has better options in Brazil and can even look at the likes of LIM. If NZ could dominate the Sth American market put of Australia/New Zealand and a significant chunk of the Asia-South America market then it could add SCL for people open-jawing their travel. An example might be: Fly into LIM see Machu Picchu etc then fly out of SCL or EZE or GRU. Flights would only need to be 3x weekly with EZE remaining at 5x weekly. Would need that Asia feed of course (NZ is growing that too - TPE, ICN, SIN etc).
59 types. 42 countries. 24 airlines.

ZK-NBT

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:32 am

NTLDaz wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

V/F

I guess it would be a challenging destination. LA dropping to 4 pw probably says something about the market. Also , you have the issue of connections from SCL so would rely heavily on O and D.

Apart from people visiting Chile I'm not sure how much this would bring to NZ which they don't get from EZE.

LA have been in the market 17 years, and before that QF flew AKL-EZE, LA replaced that. AR flew to AKL for 32 years and SYD similar but lasted 2 years on its own non stop, not always but most of the time a tag from AKL though. I don’t think there is any doubt Australia is the larger market however LA do offer connections to CX which is also via SYD/MEL but CX are maxed out in Australia and I think they have JFK/LAX/MAD they connect to CX via. So there is the connection side via AKL.

NZ don’t need to serve SCL when they have EZE, who would they partner with at SCL? LIM maybe?

NTLDaz

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

LA have been in the market 17 years, and before that QF flew AKL-EZE, LA replaced that. AR flew to AKL for 32 years and SYD similar but lasted 2 years on its own non stop, not always but most of the time a tag from AKL though. I don’t think there is any doubt Australia is the larger market however LA do offer connections to CX which is also via SYD/MEL but CX are maxed out in Australia and I think they have JFK/LAX/MAD they connect to CX via. So there is the connection side via AKL.

NZ don’t need to serve SCL when they have EZE, who would they partner with at SCL? LIM maybe?

My wife is Chilean so I've been to South America 9 times. I've done it all except NZ to EZE. First trip was in 96 - AN SYD-AKL then AR to EZE then SCL.

Did NZ SYD - AKL -PPT and LA PPT-IPC-SCL. Done QF via AKL to EZE then AR or LA to SCL. Done LA SYD-AKL-SCL. Done AR SYD-EZE non-stop which was a long flight on a clapped out A340.

I've also done SYD-SCL nonstop on QF. I'd take this one everyday- but LA nonstop I'd now take. Quite frankly the AKL stop is a pain.

Between LA to SCL and NZ to EZE New Zealand is incredibly well served to South America. I can't see LA needing to go daily to AKL without SYD.

I've asked this before ( not to you ) but how many passengers transfer through AKL to Asia ? It gets spoken about a lot.

ZK-NBT

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:07 am

NTLDaz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

My wife is Chilean so I've been to South America 9 times. I've done it all except NZ to EZE. First trip was in 96 - AN SYD-AKL then AR to EZE then SCL.

Did NZ SYD - AKL -PPT and LA PPT-IPC-SCL. Done QF via AKL to EZE then AR or LA to SCL. Done LA SYD-AKL-SCL. Done AR SYD-EZE non-stop which was a long flight on a clapped out A340.

I've also done SYD-SCL nonstop on QF. I'd take this one everyday- but LA nonstop I'd now take. Quite frankly the AKL stop is a pain.

Between LA to SCL and NZ to EZE New Zealand is incredibly well served to South America. I can't see LA needing to go daily to AKL without SYD.

I've asked this before ( not to you ) but how many passengers transfer through AKL to Asia ? It gets spoken about a lot.

I remember the short lived AN 743 to AKL connecting to the AR 742 to EZE. Lasted less than a year I think.

Sure the AKL stop is a pain if you are in NTL? Then the non stop on QF makes sense, I’d say most would prefer the non stop LA via AKL unless you have to travel on a certain date that it doesn’t run or that NZ are offering great deals.

I’ve got no idea how many people transit AKL to Asia, NZ are working on it but slots are an issue at many Asian ports now, although PVG will be the only year round evening departure ex AKL come NW, all the others will be 1000-1200 ex AKL so 4.5-6hr layover EZE arrives 0525 while in the return most Asian arrivals are 0900-1030 with PVG 0650 most days, EZE departs 2010 so 10-11 hrs layover which isn’t ideal when trying to build a market, however NZ have said they would like 2 daily to the likes of PVG/HKG.

aerorobnz

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:18 am

A handful a day. between LA/CX LA/NZ NZ/NZ and NZ/SQ. Single digits per day probably, maybe low double digits transit to Asia and often redemption tickets. It isn't priced competitively for one thing (except occasionally LA) and for 2, the connections are currently long and arduous and any people who do this transfer can't land in NZ without visa as they tend to be South American nationalities or Filipino. There are better options via MIA/EWR/JFK for direct point to point everywhere but visa restrictions or via IST or ADD/JNB if visas are an issue.

In other words, No on price, no on transit hotels, no on connection times, no on visas, no on public awareness. A LOT of work needs to co in to make this transit viable.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

xiaotung

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:02 am

aerorobnz wrote:
A handful a day. between LA/CX LA/NZ NZ/NZ and NZ/SQ. Single digits per day probably, maybe low double digits transit to Asia and often redemption tickets. It isn't priced competitively for one thing (except occasionally LA) and for 2, the connections are currently long and arduous and any people who do this transfer can't land in NZ without visa as they tend to be South American nationalities or Filipino. There are better options via MIA/EWR/JFK for direct point to point everywhere but visa restrictions or via IST or ADD/JNB if visas are an issue.

In other words, No on price, no on transit hotels, no on connection times, no on visas, no on public awareness. A LOT of work needs to co in to make this transit viable.

Yes, my friends looked at PVG-AKL-EZE a while ago and the lowest booking class available on the market was H class which makes it even more expensive than flying J on EK or ET. I don't think NZ are that serious about transit pax at this point.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:44 am

Was doing a quick search last night for WLG - DTW fares for June next year to see if any UA flights were still scheduled for B757s. Some days only one flight via IAH came up, with other dates via IAH and LAX. Didn't see any ORD flights comes up. What surprised me was RAR came up as a booking option several times
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789

PA515

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:04 am

ZK-NZF should have a test flight tomorrow as it's going to ADL on Wednesday. Previous test flights have been to the East Cape area and back in about an hour.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-nzf

PA515

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 am

NZF will also be first 787 with wifi.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am

Bit quiet here lately, so what changes are we aware of for the NW 19/20 schedules and can we expect more changes, how do they compare to NW18/19.

KE Daily 748 entire NW, was 77W 18/19

LA 4 weekly 789, was daily 18/19

QF141/144 SYD daily 789DEC-MAR was 738 18/19

AC 4 weekly 788 DEC-MAR seasonal new route

CX 14 weekly A35K DEC-FEB was 7 77W 7 359 in 18/19

NZ26/27 ORD 5 weekly 789 DEC-FEB was 3 weekly 18/19

NZ77/78 TPE 5 weekly 789 DEC-FEB was 3 weekly 18/19

NZ83/84ICN 3-5 weekly 789 starts NOV new route

NZ85/80 HKG Daily 772 retimed 1020 ex AKL entire NW

I’d imagine the Chinese carriers might have some fluctuations?

Not sure how TG and MH are doing these days? They have been daily for some time now and maybe found the right aircraft/configuration for the route? MH sit for 9hrs a day, I wonder if this affects them? D7 left the KUL route via OOL however.

I’d imagine CI will up gauge to the 77W as usual.

AA/UA I expect will return with true same as last year a daily 77W for UA ex SFO and daily 789 for AA ex LAX, we won’t see anything new with the AA/QF JV this year it would seem now.

SQ will operate the evening SIN service with a 77W as planned and A380 during the day.

What else? Or thoughts?

haggis73

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 am

For those AKL spotters out there, ParcelAir is leasing a Pioneer Australia BAE146-200QC for the next 2 weeks to cover the 2 ParcelAir 737's that are currently AOG at the moment in AKL, ZK-PAT is currently flat out with some assistance from Air Chats ZK-KFL.

WhisperJet rego is VH-SAZ. Arriving tomorrow afternoon as SFZ801 at 1530 ex SYD before entering service tomorrow night on the AKL-CHC run.

NZ6

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 am

777ER wrote:
Was doing a quick search last night for WLG - DTW fares for June next year to see if any UA flights were still scheduled for B757s. Some days only one flight via IAH came up, with other dates via IAH and LAX. Didn't see any ORD flights comes up. What surprised me was RAR came up as a booking option several times

What dates? Sounds like an issue with UA availability in NZ's system. Flat out this week but can try to look into it.

tom90

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:38 am

PA515 wrote:
ZK-NZF should have a test flight tomorrow as it's going to ADL on Wednesday. Previous test flights have been to the East Cape area and back in about an hour.

PA515

ZK-NZF is currently airborne approaching AKL airport as NZ6231

planemanofnz

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ don’t need to serve SCL when they have EZE

For now, they may not need to, but I could see it becoming viable in the future. After all, of all the markets in South America that AKL can serve as a hub to/from Asia through, AKL has the biggest advantage to/from SCL, over other ports in South America (given comparative proximity). Add to that, Chile is a comparatively stable market (compared to Argentina and Brazil), and it has a lot of business potential with New Zealand and Asia in the coming years (like with APEC, CPTPP, etc). Furthermore, LA is scaling down its AKL ops.

Cheers,

C.

tu2130

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:48 am

ZK-NZF confirmed with AKL To Perth on the 11th of July

planemanofnz

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

CI intrigues me. Even after nearly 10 years at AKL, they're still doing the BNE tag. You'd imagine they'd either try to move to non-stop flights (at a reduced frequency), or drop AKL completely?

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:56 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

CI intrigues me. Even after nearly 10 years at AKL, they're still doing the BNE tag. You'd imagine they'd either try to move to non-stop flights (at a reduced frequency), or drop AKL completely?

Cheers,

C.

Yes I agree, they were even running SYD-AKL and MEL-CHC for a while 3-4 years. AKL was 10 weekly A333’s and CHC 3 weekly seasonal for CHC. I think they codeshare with QF? You would almost think they would let QF operate the Tasman sector?

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:47 pm

NZ6 wrote:
777ER wrote:

What dates? Sounds like an issue with UA availability in NZ's system. Flat out this week but can try to look into it.

Was looking at several dates for June. Dates aren't confirmed yet, but will probably book with House of Travel (AA Smartfuel) and see if they can find any B757 flights.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 pm

tu2130 wrote:

FR24 has it as NZ101 AKL-SYD 11th July as its first flight.

NZ6

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Perhaps look at their target market.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:20 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ don’t need to serve SCL when they have EZE

For now, they may not need to, but I could see it becoming viable in the future. After all, of all the markets in South America that AKL can serve as a hub to/from Asia through, AKL has the biggest advantage to/from SCL, over other ports in South America (given comparative proximity). Add to that, Chile is a comparatively stable market (compared to Argentina and Brazil), and it has a lot of business potential with New Zealand and Asia in the coming years (like with APEC, CPTPP, etc). Furthermore, LA is scaling down its AKL ops.

Cheers,

C.

I wonder how many destinations in South America they will go to? I would see Brazil as key from what’s been said while I’m not sure I see EZE getting cut unless it becomes unsustainable, I wouldn’t personally envision SCL or LIM for a long time unless like I say EZE gets cut.

NZ6

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:20 am

777ER wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
777ER wrote:

Was looking at several dates for June. Dates aren't confirmed yet, but will probably book with House of Travel (AA Smartfuel) and see if they can find any B757 flights.

Oh June, I was skimming as I was busy. On UA you can only book 330 days out. So that's June 3rd 2020 as of today. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait no matter where you go.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:23 am

NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I’ll take a guess, they see NZ as a small market best served via Australia so chasing the price conscious Taiwanese traveler? And topping up in BNE.

Now NZ have gone there to TPE and are generally chasing the more premium market but with a leisure heavy LOPA 789. So they see potential there.

NZ6

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:38 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I’ll take a guess, they see NZ as a small market best served via Australia so chasing the price conscious Taiwanese traveler? And topping up in BNE.

Now NZ have gone there to TPE and are generally chasing the more premium market but with a leisure heavy LOPA 789. So they see potential there.

You're on the right track. I don't think CI have had the confidence to operate BNE and AKL direct and with NZ doing TPE direct it's made it even harder.

CI is left looking at the Taiwanese and Philipino markets and based on their pricing and where those nationals are typically employed, it's a pretty simple equation of why they've kept it via BNE.

Can they do AKL direct, of course, the bean counters at CI just need to work out if there's any advantage to it. I'd thought there was noise of them going direct.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 am

NZ6 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

You're on the right track. I don't think CI have had the confidence to operate BNE and AKL direct and with NZ doing TPE direct it's made it even harder.

CI is left looking at the Taiwanese and Philipino markets and based on their pricing and where those nationals are typically employed, it's a pretty simple equation of why they've kept it via BNE.

Can they do AKL direct, of course, the bean counters at CI just need to work out if there's any advantage to it. I'd thought there was noise of them going direct.

Interesting aye, several airlines maybe not so much recently started AKL via the tasman, TG, MH, EK, now LA which will see AKL reduced for now at least.

BR and NZ did AKL-TPE for years, often each seasonally sharing with a code sharing agreement. CI came in 2011 after both NZ/BR stopped, so as you say it seems CI lack confidence in the market or in their own marketing department?

I’ll have to say PlanemanofNZ was spot on with TPE and ICN, NZ do have confidence in their own marketing department however, ICN with KE was more surprising for me, KE have flown to AKL for 25 years although TBH I’m not sure if it makes money for them, they are making changes like dropping F and using 789s which seem to have the best LOPA for them and possibly the 748 in peak with less premium seats. Though I still think a 2 class 77W J, Y would be good for them for a routes like AKL instead of the 748.

PA515

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:07 am

PA515 wrote:

PA515

ZK-NBT wrote:
tu2130 wrote:

FR24 has it as NZ101 AKL-SYD 11th July as its first flight.

Another change. Was ADL today, then PER tomorrow, now SYD x 2 tomorrow. Hopefully it's all sorted now.

PA515

PA515

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 am

aerorobnz wrote:

Any idea when and where that's being done. There's been no announcement from Air NZ, other than the 787s will be fitted with Wifi.

PA515

PA515

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:18 am

Air NZ A321-271NX ZK-NNF (msn 8839) D-AVYR had it's acceptance flight yesterday. The delivery flight should be about two days later.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-avyr

PA515

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:20 am

PA515 wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

Any idea when and where that's being done. There's been no announcement from Air NZ, other than the 787s will be fitted with Wifi.

PA515

WIFI has been fitted while it’s been on the ground in AKL.

SleeplessInZh

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 pm

I'm glad, PAL is doing well in New Zealand

Philippine Airlines to Sponsor the 2019 Travel Media Awards | Scoop News
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1907/S ... awards.htm

tu2130

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Now NZE is last 789 grounded till that's ungrounded all 13 787s will be active but we don't know when NZE will be ungrounded

NZ6

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 pm

SleeplessInZh wrote:
I'm glad, PAL is doing well in New Zealand

Philippine Airlines to Sponsor the 2019 Travel Media Awards | Scoop News
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1907/S ... awards.htm

Growing market awareness and presence yes, but I'm not sure where it says they're doing well...

I'm not suggesting their not. Just not sure if it's simply sponsoring an event is what's lead us to that conclusion. Don't read too much into who it's written, it's media awards, they're always going to talk up how prestigious they are...

GW54

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 am

NZE was grounded due damage to Aircraft whdn hit by ground vehicle from memory. Has that been fixed and is it now awaiting engines? Guess it will also have Wifi fitted when it returns to service?

NZ321

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

From what I can gather PAL is an underrated carrier struggling to shake off their old reputation but making leaps and gains and I am looking forward to trying them soon on a flight to NZ. Super glad they have found a solid market in NZ. All credits to them.
Plane mad!

PA515

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Air NZ A321-271NX (msn 8839) D-AVYR had a third flight about four hours ago which is also described as a customer acceptance flight.
Could arrive AKL on 16 Jul.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-avyr

PA515

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:50 am

Was a very bad morning at WLG. Pretty much a ground stop due to severe thunder storms with muitple arriving JQ/NZ flights trying to avoid the front.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]

MillwallSean

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:57 am

NZ321 wrote:
From what I can gather PAL is an underrated carrier struggling to shake off their old reputation but making leaps and gains and I am looking forward to trying them soon on a flight to NZ. Super glad they have found a solid market in NZ. All credits to them.

Having done some consulting for PAL, I dont think they are attempting to shake of anything old. To the contrary, they are more of the same.
The airline struggles with everything behind the scenes. I also doubt that AKL is profitable, no I can say with certainty that it isn't presently, so sponsorship is more likely due to either a local agent or PALs staff of specific families looking for a nice vacation.
However with the boom in Filipino migration to Auckland over the last few years, mostly well educated (many from the top 3 universities which in PH means a lot - less of the nurses/agri workers/wives migration) should see better numbers and quickly rising such. Philippines is actually a damn good value for money / good experience travel destination.

ZK-NBT wrote:
BR and NZ did AKL-TPE for years, often each seasonally sharing with a code sharing agreement. CI came in 2011 after both NZ/BR stopped, so as you say it seems CI lack confidence in the market or in their own marketing department?

Maybe they dont take advise from the marketing department rather the finance department?

NZ saying they will go for higher value clients makes me smile. Question is who?
Its not like the Koru club members are flocking to Taipei and NZ ability to attract higher paying pax from Asia is somewhere between nil and zero. As far as I see, the only thing they NZ has going for itself to TPE is BR. BR is a class act.
However while getting pax from BR might help, getting high end such is a different story. Asian fliers of some wealth dont tend to be impressed with NZ and its service levels. From Singapore our offices had to guarantee that employees weren't put on NZ and we are definitely not the only large MNE. With that said corporate traffic to New Zealand is quite limited so it might not make such a difference.
Anyway, Ill put my neck out and predict that AKL-TPE will be dropped within 24 months.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos