Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tealnz

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread -July 2019

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:59 am

WLG787 wrote:
SQ to go 5 x weekly on WLG-MEL-SIN from 01 January 2020

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/11435653 ... ive-a-week

Strange they still haven't made an announcement on a 77E replacement on the Wellington route. Maybe they're still debating whether to launch an A359 non-stop service... :bouncy:

DavidByrne

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:37 am

torin wrote:
Some interesting clues being dropped by NZ on facebook at the moment in a series of short videos featuring Steve Hanson. Reveal date to be 1 August
So, anyone got any ideas? Special scheme on 77W for RWC?

Yeah, has to be an All Blacks livery for the RWC on a 77W. Otherwise, why involve Steve Hansen? All the "clues" about destinations are to my mind red herrings. There can't be an announcement affecting ALL of AKL, WLG, CHC, LAX, YVR and EZE! But roll on 1 August!

ZaphodHarkonnen

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:14 am

WLG787 wrote:

Nice. I was just wondering about that. Not quite non stop but a nice bump none the less.

No news on when the B772 will be retired on this route. Though it can't be far away as they're getting rid of them all next year.

NZ6

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:37 am

LamboAston wrote:
My thought was CHC-LAX on the blueprint one

Video 1, references CHC and LAX, Video 2 references YVR and KKE and video 3, EZE and WLG.

In all 3 videos, they're comparing weather in one international and one domestic NZ destination as a 'conversation starter' (except in L.A it's the notorious LA traffic)... a

In video 2 there's a line "they'll be there" (a reference to All Blacks), video 3, "we need him there at the rendezvous point", referring to the Keiran Reid. Hashtag #crazyaboutrugby.

Don't get too excited, it's a bit of fun.

zkncj

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:46 am

DavidByrne wrote:
torin wrote:
Some interesting clues being dropped by NZ on facebook at the moment in a series of short videos featuring Steve Hanson. Reveal date to be 1 August
So, anyone got any ideas? Special scheme on 77W for RWC?

Yeah, has to be an All Blacks livery for the RWC on a 77W. Otherwise, why involve Steve Hansen? All the "clues" about destinations are to my mind red herrings. There can't be an announcement affecting ALL of AKL, WLG, CHC, LAX, YVR and EZE! But roll on 1 August!

Well ZK-OKT does seem to be need of an re-paint if its going to stay around any longer... doesn't look like EVA is to much in an hurry to get it back.

VirginFlyer

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 am

NZ6 wrote:
LamboAston wrote:

Video 1, references CHC and LAX, Video 2 references YVR and KKE and video 3, EZE and WLG.

In all 3 videos, they're comparing weather in one international and one domestic NZ destination as a 'conversation starter' (except in L.A it's the notorious LA traffic)... a

In video 2 there's a line "they'll be there" (a reference to All Blacks), video 3, "we need him there at the rendezvous point", referring to the Keiran Reid. Hashtag #crazyaboutrugby.

Indeed - though I took them as spy-style 2 part passphrases, which fits in with the general clandestine atmosphere of the videos, as opposed to conversation starters.

V/F

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:16 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
WLG787 wrote:

Nice. I was just wondering about that. Not quite non stop but a nice bump none the less.

No news on when the B772 will be retired on this route. Though it can't be far away as they're getting rid of them all next year.

Nothing from SQ yet that I can see, I’d have to think this would be in line with an aircraft change the same day. I could be wrong however. I’d imagine the regional A359, 303 seats up from the 266 on the 772, with 20% less fuel burn and a newer regional product.

jimmyah

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 am

LamboAston wrote:

That's the most likely. Though, there was a reference to an "apple" e.g. New York maybe? Also, the blueprints are only showing business class, with the rest of the plane left blank, so maybe the unveiling of the new business class seats?

jimmyah

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:30 am

jimmyah wrote:
LamboAston wrote:

That's the most likely. Though, there was a reference to an "apple" e.g. New York maybe? Also, the blueprints are only showing business class, with the rest of the plane left blank, so maybe the unveiling of the new business class seats?

Also thinking that NZ might try New York as a tag from LAX? Maybe we could see CHC/AKL - LAX - EWR?

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:51 am

jimmyah wrote:
jimmyah wrote:
LamboAston wrote:

Also thinking that NZ might try New York as a tag from LAX? Maybe we could see CHC/AKL - LAX - EWR?

What would that offer?

Could be anything really, probably nothing to do with a new route.

zkncj

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:41 am

jimmyah wrote:
[Also, the blueprints are only showing business class, with the rest of the plane left blank, so maybe the unveiling of the new business class seats?

And if you look carefully it almost looks like the J seating layout is slightly different to normal e.g. seats facing the window (that or someone in marketing just made an really bad seat map).

Could they have licence with VS again to use there new J seat.

zkeoj

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:08 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
jimmyah wrote:
jimmyah wrote:

What would that offer?

Testing the waters with EWR, before they have the right equipment to go nonstop? Not saying it is happening, but that could be an explanation....

zkncj

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:25 pm

jimmyah wrote:
jimmyah wrote:
LamboAston wrote:

I do wonder if NZ’s 77W could reach EWR, with maybe an small enhancement package from Boeing that might of been included in the 787-10 deal.

Barring in mind that NZ’s 77Ws have an pretty low seat count compared to some other airline, and ditching the space seat would given then an weight saving.

Technically speaking the A388 should be able todo DXB-AKL on paper, but EK seem to make it work.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 pm

zkeoj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
jimmyah wrote:

What would that offer?

Testing the waters with EWR, before they have the right equipment to go nonstop? Not saying it is happening, but that could be an explanation....

It’s a pretty expensive thing to do, QF connect people from MEL/SYD/BNE onto LAX-JFK to make it viable. And for NZ it goes against their no one stop
Policy.

This whole thing has to be Rugby related or a safety video with snippets from the mentioned cities in it.

zkeoj

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkeoj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

What would that offer?

It’s a pretty expensive thing to do, QF connect people from MEL/SYD/BNE onto LAX-JFK to make it viable. And for NZ it goes against their no one stop
Policy.

This whole thing has to be Rugby related or a safety video with snippets from the mentioned cities in it.

Totally agree - it is very unlikely. Just tried to find a rationale should they want to do it, i.e. answer your question...;-) After all, the started IAH and ORD nonstop as well, without trying testing it as a tag....

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 pm

zkncj wrote:
jimmyah wrote:
jimmyah wrote:

I do wonder if NZ’s 77W could reach EWR, with maybe an small enhancement package from Boeing that might of been included in the 787-10 deal.

Barring in mind that NZ’s 77Ws have an pretty low seat count compared to some other airline, and ditching the space seat would given then an weight saving.

Technically speaking the A388 should be able todo DXB-AKL on paper, but EK seem to make it work.

Why would they use a 77W? It is a very capable plane, PR/CX/EK use them on 16.5 hr services weight restricted for sure however EWR-AKL would be over 17.

The 789 is in the fleet for a reason. Just not yet in the right configuration for a route like EWR.

I’d say NZ have a middle of the road density on their 77W, NH have as low as 212 on a very premium heavy 4 class aircraft while SQ/CX are in the 260/280 range for 4 class, EK 3 class 354 while there are 2 class operators with 400-450 seats EK/AC etc.

The A380 could do EWR-AKL, would be similar in length to DFW-SYD slightly longer heavily restricted though. No one has A380s that is going to do this route anyway, I don’t no that’s EWR is A380 capable.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 pm

zkeoj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
zkeoj wrote:

Policy.

Totally agree - it is very unlikely. Just tried to find a rationale should they want to do it, i.e. answer your question...;-) After all, the started IAH and ORD nonstop as well, without trying testing it as a tag....

There seems to be to many clues for it to be a new route imo.

zkncj

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
Why would they use a 77W? It is a very capable plane, PR/CX/EK use them on 16.5 hr services weight restricted for sure however EWR-AKL would be over 17.

The 789 is in the fleet for a reason. Just not yet in the right configuration for a route like EWR.

Because its what they have available right now that could make it work - also there is an chance they could permanently take on OKT giving them an extra 77W in the system.

NZ6

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
LamboAston wrote:

Indeed - though I took them as spy-style 2 part passphrases, which fits in with the general clandestine atmosphere of the videos, as opposed to conversation starters.

V/F

Yeah, it's probably intended that way.

jimmyah wrote:

I can assure people it's definitely no LAX-EWR 'tag' the airline wouldn't 'test it' and goes against pacific rim strategy (not policy) and also goes against the proven (ORD/IAH) strategy that making NZ accessible via direct flight attracts new customers . Having a 'tag' is no different, in fact, is more costly than using UA.

Many people have instantly overthought what this based on a few isolated messages which have been taken as clues...

It's a big announcement in my opinion but not what some think.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:20 pm

zkncj wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Because its what they have available right now that could make it work - also there is an chance they could permanently take on OKT giving them an extra 77W in the system.

A code 2 789 could probably do it with some blocked seats, a 77W would need to have 100 seats blocked at least.

Who knows what’s happening with OKT, there has been nothing announced and the lease ends soon October I think.

There is still by my count a spare code 1 789 and 1 772 for NW this year at this stage.

aerohottie

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 pm

NZ6 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

V/F

Yeah, it's probably intended that way.

jimmyah wrote:

I can assure people it's definitely no LAX-EWR 'tag' the airline wouldn't 'test it' and goes against pacific rim strategy (not policy) and also goes against the proven (ORD/IAH) strategy that making NZ accessible via direct flight attracts new customers . Having a 'tag' is no different, in fact, is more costly than using UA.

Many people have instantly overthought what this based on a few isolated messages which have been taken as clues...

It's a big announcement in my opinion but not what some think.

The clandestine elements of the videos make me think it is an announcement of something “secret”. The only thing that jumps to mind is the new business class seat

VirginFlyer

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:23 am

The GA8 Airvan has been grounded by the CAA following an accident in Sweden last weekend:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1427455

V/F

NZ321

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
zkncj wrote:
jimmyah wrote:

I’d say NZ have a middle of the road density on their 77W, NH have as low as 212 on a very premium heavy 4 class aircraft while SQ/CX are in the 260/280 range for 4 class, EK 3 class 354 while there are 2 class operators with 400-450 seats EK/AC etc.

The A380 could do EWR-AKL, would be similar in length to DFW-SYD slightly longer heavily restricted though. No one has A380s that is going to do this route anyway, I don’t no that’s EWR is A380 capable.

A380 can't do EWR AKL. It can't operate from EWR. :)

DavidJ08

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:53 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:

This.

After seeing all three, I'm also inclined to think it's a sign/countersign system of "spy speak" (using pre-determined innocent-sounding phrases as a challenge-response authentication to establish that you're talking to the right person, before exchanging secret information), so I'm not sure it's meaningful to try and read into the phrases themselves (as a few posters have here).

So it looks like something to do with rugby (RWC?) and a 77W, the part I'm not getting is that all the 77W appear to be flying regularly at the moment (OKT included), so I'm trying to work out in my mind how they'll go about doing a special RWC livery by 1st August - how long does it take to apply a special livery, anyways?

Or perhaps it's just extra services to Japan for RWC?

zkncj

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 am

Notice the local Caltex now has signage saying you can earn Airpoints from 1 August....

Maybe it’s just an re-hash of airpoints, and using the All Blacks to try take away from some negative changes?

LamboAston

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:45 am

zkncj wrote:
Notice the local Caltex now has signage saying you can earn Airpoints from 1 August....

Maybe it’s just an re-hash of airpoints, and using the All Blacks to try take away from some negative changes?

It's already low value as it is...

LamboAston

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:49 am

I've been told by an Air NZ mechanic in CHC that all the OX series A320 are getting more efficient winglets - OXG is getting them atm.

Zkpilot

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:00 am

zkncj wrote:

That’s no secret. Z owns Caltex so just bringing it into line.

DavidByrne

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Just noted that NZ's CHC-BNE and MEL flights have had their frequency cut right back from that which was promised after the Virgin divorce. CHC-BNE does get up to 9x weekly at the summer peak, and CHC-MEL 12x weekly, but in the off-season CHC-BNE is daily and CHC-MEL down to 6x weekly. Coupled with JQ's pull-back from CHC, seems the city has had a few hits lately.

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:15 am

DavidByrne wrote:
CHC, seems the city has had a few hits lately.

A shame, if true re NZ and BNE/MEL. Though there were rumours in another forum that as part of the AA-QF JV approval, AA is going to launch CHC - LAX. CX is also expanding its capacity this summer, and with NZ's return, there will be a boost to SIN too.

Cheers,

C.

DavidByrne

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:58 am

planemanofnz wrote:
A shame, if true re NZ and BNE/MEL.

Not quite sure what you mean by "if true"? Do you doubt the published timetable?

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:15 am

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean by "if true"? Do you doubt the published timetable?

What was the actual frequency in NW18/19? and what will it be in 19/20?

Can someone repost the link to NZ weekly schedule please?

planemanofnz

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 am

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Sometimes online schedules aren't always accurately and/or timely uploaded/updated, and can change.

Cheers,

C.

DavidByrne

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Can someone repost the link to NZ weekly schedule please?

http://airnewzealand2.innosked.com/sche ... anguage=EN

aerorobnz

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 am

CHC has to make money. and enough money to justify the aircraft, which could probably make more operating out of AKL. Evidently, CHC isn't the market we seem to think it is.

CHCalfonzo

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:21 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Just noted that NZ's CHC-BNE and MEL flights have had their frequency cut right back from that which was promised after the Virgin divorce. CHC-BNE does get up to 9x weekly at the summer peak, and CHC-MEL 12x weekly, but in the off-season CHC-BNE is daily and CHC-MEL down to 6x weekly. Coupled with JQ's pull-back from CHC, seems the city has had a few hits lately.

36 out of the 58 weekly NZ international flights to and from CHC will be operated by A321 aircraft this winter, based on a random week in August. Even if frequency is slightly down, I think capacity will be at worst flat, if not slightly higher than previous years. I suspect this will be true for the summer timetable too, with at least 1 A321 operating from CHC making up for the reduction in frequency. This is not reflected in the schedule yet, currently NZ has no A321s anywhere in their summer schedule, all flights are operated by standard A320s at present.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:30 am

CHCalfonzo wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

36 out of the 58 weekly NZ international flights to and from CHC will be operated by A321 aircraft this winter, based on a random week in August. Even if frequency is slightly down, I think capacity will be at worst flat, if not slightly higher than previous years. I suspect this will be true for the summer timetable too, with at least 1 A321 operating from CHC making up for the reduction in frequency. This is not reflected in the schedule yet, currently NZ has no A321s anywhere in their summer schedule, all flights are operated by standard A320s at present.

Good point re the A321, it gives them more flexibility to match capacity to demand where 1 A321 is better than 2 A320s in this case for that season at least.

DavidByrne

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:42 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
Good point re the A321, it gives them more flexibility to match capacity to demand where 1 A321 is better than 2 A320s in this case for that season at least.

Agree completely but it's still a bit of a negative when a really well-established route (CHC-MEL) goes sub-daily for an extended period.

NZ6

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:28 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Agree completely but it's still a bit of a negative when a really well-established route (CHC-MEL) goes sub-daily for an extended period.

CHC inbound on the Short Haul side of things has softened over recent times, partly due to the increase in direct and evening services into ZQN but with NZ's increase in aircraft capacity and with 4/5 carriers on CHC-SYD and 3/4 into BNE/MEL there's actually still a lot of seats in the market. (I say 4/5 and 3/4 as it depends if you want to view JQ/QF as one or two airlines).

More tourists from Australia are now able to dive directly into ZQN and bypass that CHC 'gateway', of course, some still enter via CHC or want to visit CHC but the larger pool is opting for that direct into ZQN as this being their main destination. As for outbound, there's only really IVC/DUD connecting. ZQN locals use that, IVC will often opt to road themselves to ZQN to save time. The upper South NSN/BHE will hope over to WLG or consider AKL as well as CHC and go with schedule/price.

I'm not suggesting CHC is a declining market, it's just about adjusting your schedule and capacity as things change.

PA515

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:53 pm

Air NZ have just updated their ATR 72-500 'For Sale' listings on https://myairtrade.com/available/ATR_72

ZK-MCB (msn 598) -- available Immediately.
ZK-MCJ (msn 624) -- available 07 October 2019.
ZK-MCP (msn 630) -- available Immediately.
ZK-MCU (msn 632) --available Immediately.
ZK-MCX (msn 687) -- available Immediately.
ZK-MCY (msn 703) -- available 13 January 2020.
ZK-MCC (msn 714) -- available Immediately.

ZK-MCC last flew on 30 Jun 2019. Don't know if it's routine maintenance or withdrawn from service.
ZK-MCU was the aircraft with smoke in the cockpit CHC-DUD yesterday.

There are seven ATR 72-600s on order.

ZK-MVZ (msn 1562) -- departing TLS this week as per 'SXI899', was due for delivery by 30 June 2019 (FY2019)
ZK-MZA (msn 1576) -- August 2019
ZK-MZB (msn 1578) -- August 2019
ZK-MZC (msn 1581) -- September 2019
ZK-MZD (msn 15??) -- October 2019
ZK-MZE (msn 1???) -- FY2020
ZK-MZF (msn 1???) -- FY2021

PA515

QuayWeeAir

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:37 am

Virgin Australia have announced the return of seasonal flights between Auckland and Newcastle for the next three years.

planemanofnz

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:00 am

Can't wait for the new hotel at AKL, which will start construction next week.

"The new Pullman will have a top-floor restaurant and bar will have views across the Manukau Harbour and Waitakere Ranges."

See: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12251884.

Cheers,

C.

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:38 am

planemanofnz wrote:

"The new Pullman will have a top-floor restaurant and bar will have views across the Manukau Harbour and Waitakere Ranges."

Cheers,

C.

Talk about a slap in the face to the flying public, building a new hotel should only be after they have sorted out the dire domestic terminal situation. The primary job of an airport is getting passengers quickly and efficiently from the drop off point to the departure gate, it’s not building hotels.

Zkpilot

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 am

Kiwirob wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Talk about a slap in the face to the flying public, building a new hotel should only be after they have sorted out the dire domestic terminal situation. The primary job of an airport is getting passengers quickly and efficiently from the drop off point to the departure gate, it’s not building hotels.

I don’t understand why they can’t do both at the same time. They have enough capital and their gearing is all good too. The new domestic terminal is designed to be opened in stages do there’s no reason why they couldn’t get on with building the first stage. Would probably take them about 4 years to design and actually build it.

NZ6

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:25 am

Kiwirob wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I restrained myself from replying yesterday in hope that someone else might comment on it first.

Hard to believe it's a priority for a predominantly 'end of line airport' either. I mean, the majority of long haul flights arrive before noon which offers a range of connections around NZ, AU and the Pacific.

Having said that Tainui said on the news last night it was a quote "cash cow" with "over 90% occupancy", when looking at a date in October (outside school holidays and before summer peak), for one night, 2 adults in Mangere in a 4 Star Novotel it's $308.00. The same night in the CBD at the Rydges, $254.00

It's a cash cow because either or all AIAL, Accor and Tainui are charging an absolute arm and leg for accommodation and capitalizing on the lack of infrastructure/connection between the airport and CBD.

Zkpilot wrote:
I don’t understand why they can’t do both at the same time. They have enough capital and their gearing is all good too. The new domestic terminal is designed to be opened in stages do there’s no reason why they couldn’t get on with building the first stage. Would probably take them about 4 years to design and actually build it.

it's really simple, this makes AIAL money. A new domestic terminal won't, well not as much.

What AIAL is doing is nice, the priorities are simply not aligned with the airline passengers and laregly the airlines either. I know QF/NZ are both peeved with AIAL at various levels.

torin

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:50 am

Well my last post was deleted, but if anyone was to check China Eastern flying to Auckland from 1Sep you'll see its 787-9 opt by FM

But this will probably be deleted as well, sorry for posting something other than about the terminal or trains between AKL and the city

aemoreira1981

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:15 am

I know that NZ can't do New York nonstop on any plane it has...but, with PR having left the Vancouver-New York city pair (in favor of going MNL-JFK nonstop), and the competition being Air Canada's YVR-EWR (which is on a B789 after being for years on a small A319 - that B789 tends to go outfull), might YVR-JFK be possible as a fifth freedom route with an earlier arrival and departure than CX on YVR-JFK, with lower costs than CX? (CX flies a triangular HKG-YVR-JFK-HKG and HKG-JFK-YVR-HKG service on a 4-class B77W.) This would not need to be every day as an extension of NZ24/23. The idea here is similar to the fifth freedom LAX-LHR service on NZ1/2. (This city pair can support 3 carriers.)

The issue would really be re-timing to get connections at AKL as well as YVR.

zkeoj

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:27 am

NZ6 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I restrained myself from replying yesterday in hope that someone else might comment on it first.

Hard to believe it's a priority for a predominantly 'end of line airport' either. I mean, the majority of long haul flights arrive before noon which offers a range of connections around NZ, AU and the Pacific.

Having said that Tainui said on the news last night it was a quote "cash cow" with "over 90% occupancy", when looking at a date in October (outside school holidays and before summer peak), for one night, 2 adults in Mangere in a 4 Star Novotel it's $308.00. The same night in the CBD at the Rydges, $254.00

It's a cash cow because either or all AIAL, Accor and Tainui are charging an absolute arm and leg for accommodation and capitalizing on the lack of infrastructure/connection between the airport and CBD.

Zkpilot wrote:

it's really simple, this makes AIAL money. A new domestic terminal won't, well not as much.

What AIAL is doing is nice, the priorities are simply not aligned with the airline passengers and laregly the airlines either. I know QF/NZ are both peeved with AIAL at various levels.

I don't understand the criticism of AIAL for this? I might be wrong, but as far as i know, this is not an AIAL project but Accor's, so there will be next to zero investment from AIAL for this, i.e. it wouldn't take any funds or resources away from terminal/gate development. Don't get me wrong, I also am one of those who think that AIAL lacks long term vision, and short term activity in the "right places", but this one is not part of this.

On a side note, it DOES make travel at least for a number of passengers easier (and that number is not *that* small, if they really have 90%+ occupancy). Don't forget that there are many passengers that are from out of Auckland, but have not a good regional connection, i.e. a long drive to the airport. They appreciate the option of a stay prior to an early flight. Case in point are my in-laws. They are from Orewa, and usually book the Novotel when they have an early-morning flight. I live not far from Silverdale, and the drive can be tricky. A few weeks ago I barely made my KE flight, despite lots of "safety time", a) due to unusually long traffic delays from here to the bridge, and then partial closure just after the tunnel due to an accident. Arriving the evening before, and just walk over to the terminal can take a lot of stress out of travel. On the other hand, yesterday we left at 4:45am for an early flight, and were at the domestic terminal in just an hour.

Until recently, I lived on Queen Street, and there it was so easy: Either a quick 35 minute drive (before the tunnel it was 45 mins), or the Shybus, which left almost in front of the house (before they moved to that silly "hub" at the Town Hall). Super easy, even with luggage. Living just 40km north makes a huge difference, and then there are plenty of people living further north, and further South/East/West, without public transport or flight connections.

ZK-NBT

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:52 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I know that NZ can't do New York nonstop on any plane it has...but, with PR having left the Vancouver-New York city pair (in favor of going MNL-JFK nonstop), and the competition being Air Canada's YVR-EWR (which is on a B789 after being for years on a small A319 - that B789 tends to go outfull), might YVR-JFK be possible as a fifth freedom route with an earlier arrival and departure than CX on YVR-JFK, with lower costs than CX? (CX flies a triangular HKG-YVR-JFK-HKG and HKG-JFK-YVR-HKG service on a 4-class B77W.) This would not need to be every day as an extension of NZ24/23. The idea here is similar to the fifth freedom LAX-LHR service on NZ1/2. (This city pair can support 3 carriers.)

The issue would really be re-timing to get connections at AKL as well as YVR.

Definitely not, since you don’t follow the NZ thread it seems, NZ are not interested in any new one stop routes, I’ve no idea what the yield is in YVR-NYC but it won’t be anything like LAX-LHR which survives for NZ being that it is a very high yielding route in itself. NZ are interested in pacific rim basically anything can be served from AKL non stop.

ZK-NBT

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 am

772 ZK-OKE scheduled AKL-TSV on Friday, looks like a positioning flight given the flight NZ6001 rather than a charter. Anything to do with August 1st announcement? Some sort of decal or something?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos