RyanairGuru

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 am

Qmans wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
This morning a China Airways A350 diverted to Canberra. I saw it fly overhead and couldn't for the life of me work out what it was. Is this the first time an A350 has touched down in CBR?

Their was a China Airlines A350 which diverted to Canberra back in September last year. (B-18917 as CI55). I believe that was the 1st A350 to visit Canberra.

Interesting, thanks for the insight :)

(And DeltaB717 as well)
Worked Hard, Flew Right

rtav

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf744fan wrote:
David_itl wrote:
The first non-stop MAN-Australia service is about to land in PER. Admittedly it's only a charter with fewer than 100 VIPs on board but still a bit newsworthy.

I'm sure this is the charter that brought the Man Utd soccer team, but would be great to know more about the flight.

According to the MAN thread, it brought both Manchester United and Leeds United.

Only brought Man United, Leeds is rumoured to be on 9H-BIG tomorrow (9H-BIG is a Private A343)

Legs

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:03 am

vhqpa wrote:
Atlas 744F N477MC

You should check the leg before that one. Candidate for the shortest 747 flight ever?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N47 ... /YAMB/YBBN

jman

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 am

Boof wrote:
jman wrote:
JQ733 managed to land into LST without diverting today, and also managed to take off as well, so it was certainly doable

Yeah JQ733 did land but they fluked it. They got in through a hole, meanwhile the VA and QLink aircraft had missed and were holding. They tried again and missed.

My point about JQ753 was more that the last inbounds from Melbourne (JQ, QLink, VA) had all been cancelled at the same time the BNE service was leaving, yet they flew 2.5 hours to a high likelihood of missed approach and diversion. Poor pax had to bus from HBA I read this morning...

The landing wasn't a fluke. The airport had reopened 35 minutes before the plane landed, because the pilot was good at his job. The plane had enough fuel to hold for 1 hour before it would have to divert to HBA

Boof

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 am

jman wrote:
Boof wrote:
jman wrote:
JQ733 managed to land into LST without diverting today, and also managed to take off as well, so it was certainly doable

Yeah JQ733 did land but they fluked it. They got in through a hole, meanwhile the VA and QLink aircraft had missed and were holding. They tried again and missed.

My point about JQ753 was more that the last inbounds from Melbourne (JQ, QLink, VA) had all been cancelled at the same time the BNE service was leaving, yet they flew 2.5 hours to a high likelihood of missed approach and diversion. Poor pax had to bus from HBA I read this morning...

The landing wasn't a fluke. The airport had reopened 35 minutes before the plane landed, because the pilot was good at his job. The plane had enough fuel to hold for 1 hour before it would have to divert to HBA

No landing should be a fluke. The weather however can be lucky for some. By your reasoning the pilots of JQ745 and the QLink Dash that both had to hold a few minutes later and then subsequently diverted are not good at their jobs??
Bring back Virgin Blue!

CraigAnderson

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 pm

No surprises here, it seems as if Scurrah is working to pick up the pieces in JB’s wake. It mentioned a new crew rostering software package, wasn’t this something that John Thomas was pushing for a s reportedly iy contributed to his falling out with JB?

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5255s.html

This bit is interesting, too.

Under previous CEO John Borghetti, Virgin had been going head-to-head with larger rival Qantas to try to win some of the lucrative corporate travel market, while also expanding into new destinations like Hong Kong.
Mr Scurrah's message suggests he is considering where Virgin should sit in the market, with the potential to reposition it closer to its low-cost roots.

TN486T

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-09/ ... r/11289764
An interesting article about fog in Launceston that's worth a read, cheers,

smi0006

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:58 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
No surprises here, it seems as if Scurrah is working to pick up the pieces in JB’s wake. It mentioned a new crew rostering software package, wasn’t this something that John Thomas was pushing for a s reportedly iy contributed to his falling out with JB?

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5255s.html

This bit is interesting, too.

Under previous CEO John Borghetti, Virgin had been going head-to-head with larger rival Qantas to try to win some of the lucrative corporate travel market, while also expanding into new destinations like Hong Kong.
Mr Scurrah's message suggests he is considering where Virgin should sit in the market, with the potential to reposition it closer to its low-cost roots.

I think the below quote is also key - virgin lacked a strategy, and an identity other QF competitor. It’s time to have a clear and concise strategy to deliver returns

A separate message Mr Scurrah sent to staff 10 days ago said he was working towards a "clear vision for our business and our strategy for the long-term".
[/quote]

brucetiki

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:42 am

If VA opts to reposition itself closer to it's LCC roots, where does that leave Tiger?

QF742

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:54 am

brucetiki wrote:
If VA opts to reposition itself closer to it's LCC roots, where does that leave Tiger?

I can see VA moving more “toward” LCC but not being another JQ. Something a bit more upmarket than JQ with a fun brand (ie original virgin blue) without being too corporate. They will probably retain the same customer base but be able to cut costs when they begin focusing on a strategy - rather than being a bit of everything.

Tiger will remain an ULCC.

aryonoco

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:54 am

brucetiki wrote:

Is there a market in Australia for a ULCC similar to Allegiant?

qf2220

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:28 am

aryonoco wrote:
brucetiki wrote:

Mariner thought so.

SCFlyer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 am

The pre-JB, BG (Godfrey) era structure (e.g the old Virgin Blue/Pacific Blue brands, now Virgin Australia Domestic/Short Haul Int'l) as the hybrid carrier for domestic & short haul international, and old VAustralia (currently VA Long Haul) for full-service is one template of doing things for PS (Scurrah), with PER trans-cons maintain their "hot meals" in both classes.

Another option is rolling TigerAir back into "VA mainline" and offering a "basic economy" fare.

The BG structure prior to JB taking up the reins was rolling in profit for the majority of his tenure. Despite some "questionable" fleet decisions from BG (e.g the Embraers).

BG might get the benefit of the doubt on his decision to get 77Ws for VAustralia considering those were supposedly the only options available for the Virgin Group over a decade ago.

moa999

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:23 am

But in that era I think DJs (VAs former code) cost base was significantly lower than QF. Can't really reverse that now.

And you risk losing many of the high yielding corporate customers if you go too far (eg. Removing free food from flex fares - oops already done that)

While the 77Ws might have been a good aircraft, given the number of route alterations I'm not sure if they've actually made money.

And Godfrey simply got lucky with Ansetts collapse. Had NZ put in another $50m i doubt DJ would have lasted beyond 2002.

zkncj

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 am

moa999 wrote:

And Godfrey simply got lucky with Ansetts collapse. Had NZ put in another $50m i doubt DJ would have lasted beyond 2002.

Would have been interesting to know what NZ would have done with DJ, if there bid to buy in them 2001went ahead.

jupiter2

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:20 am

moa999 wrote:
But in that era I think DJs (VAs former code) cost base was significantly lower than QF. Can't really reverse that now.

And you risk losing many of the high yielding corporate customers if you go too far (eg. Removing free food from flex fares - oops already done that)

While the 77Ws might have been a good aircraft, given the number of route alterations I'm not sure if they've actually made money.

The cost base can be whittled down, but it's a long a painful process for the staff.

Corporate's probably wouldn't miss meals on short haul, as long as they have lounge access. But lounges aren't really part of a LCC either, so you would think they would lose some of the higher yielding traffic.

The 77W's were pretty much it at the time, but for the number of routes to the U.S.A. at the time, they had too many. They had to fly them somewhere, it was just finding the right destinations and the ones they did try at the time, they had nothing else really suitable at the time. The only one that was really overkill were the 777's to Nadi.

If NZ had put another $50 million into Ansett, it would've simply been money burnt, Ansett was terminal and pumping more money into it would've been a total waste of resources. Though you are right about when DJ started, they could not have picked a better time with the Olympics, a tourism boom and Ansett dying, they were blessed there.

Obzerva

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 am

zkncj wrote:
moa999 wrote:

Would have been interesting to know what NZ would have done with DJ, if there bid to buy in them 2001went ahead.

I think DJ would simply have become AN's version of JQ.

Let's not forget that QF was able to take advantage of the collapse of VQ and utilise it's fleet for JQ.

AVB

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:20 am

Obzerva wrote:
zkncj wrote:
moa999 wrote:

Let's not forget that QF was able to take advantage of the collapse of VQ and utilise it's fleet for JQ.

VQ didn’t collapse but was bought out by QF a bit like Network was.

CraigAnderson

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:59 am

I would honestly like to see Virgin ditch Tiger completely, it's a distraction, and add a US-style Basic Economy fare to its VA flights, and also ditch ALL meals in economy except for east-west. Look at SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE for example, this is 90 minutes, where else in life can you not go for 90 minutes without eating? Frequent flyers have the lounge, other passengers have plenty of options at the airport. Maybe they can go ahead with the plan to sell boxed meals at the departure gate, they were going to do this in partnership with an airport vendor such as Sumo Salad. But taking away economy meals on most flights will not make people rush to Qantas, and it will take a lot of cost out from Virgin's bottom line, it's not the meals as much as all the handling and 'support'.

QF742

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:08 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
I would honestly like to see Virgin ditch Tiger completely, it's a distraction, and add a US-style Basic Economy fare to its VA flights, and also ditch ALL meals in economy except for east-west. Look at SYD-MEL, SYD-BNE for example, this is 90 minutes, where else in life can you not go for 90 minutes without eating? Frequent flyers have the lounge, other passengers have plenty of options at the airport. Maybe they can go ahead with the plan to sell boxed meals at the departure gate, they were going to do this in partnership with an airport vendor such as Sumo Salad. But taking away economy meals on most flights will not make people rush to Qantas, and it will take a lot of cost out from Virgin's bottom line, it's not the meals as much as all the handling and 'support'.

I could see them retaining a more full service offering on east-west flights and maybe offering a bottle of water and small snack (like chips or cheese and crackers) on all other segments. This will allow them to keep a point of difference over JQ and allow them to charge a premium but not have to spend a whole lot of money to justify that premium.

smi0006

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:20 am

I have no insight into VAs cost base but I do wonder if VA over services in international business, it seems above QF service levels, but does it command a higher yield? I think a simple Hybrid JetBlue style model could work for transcon, and domestic. Maybe even an NZ style seats to suite?
- Get rid of ‘the club’
- Review international/transcon business for cost savings
- review international lounges - EY would charge a pretty, does it need to be so high class?
- Does BOB make any money? Or simply add complexity?
- Why four different cabin crew groups? Regional, domestic 737, international 330 and long haul 777

And bring some personality back to the brand - red uniforms, and purple and red branding doesn’t make a modern and engaging brand.

Obzerva

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:04 am

AVB wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
zkncj wrote:

VQ didn’t collapse but was bought out by QF a bit like Network was.

True, I should have worded it on the verge of collapse, it's days were very much numbered.

CraigAnderson

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:16 am

QF742 wrote:
I could see them retaining a more full service offering on east-west flights and maybe offering a bottle of water and small snack (like chips or cheese and crackers) on all other segments. This will allow them to keep a point of difference over JQ and allow them to charge a premium but not have to spend a whole lot of money to justify that premium.

Water, definitely. But a small snack seems almost insulting compared to QF, and the cost is not in the actual product but all the handling prior, so I'd go down the route of nothing to eat but maybe with option to buy at the gate and bring on board, or have some meals available to buy on board.

CraigAnderson

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:18 am

Hmmm. Qantas trialling 'preferred seating', passengers asked to cough up $5 to $45 to sit near the front of the economy cabin.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-trials- ... peedy-exit

CraigAnderson

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 am

smi0006 wrote:
I have no insight into VAs cost base but I do wonder if VA over services in international business, it seems above QF service levels, but does it command a higher yield? I think a simple Hybrid JetBlue style model could work for transcon, and domestic. Maybe even an NZ style seats to suite?
- Get rid of ‘the club’
- review international lounges - EY would charge a pretty, does it need to be so high class?
- Why four different cabin crew groups? Regional, domestic 737, international 330 and long haul 777
And bring some personality back to the brand - red uniforms, and purple and red branding doesn’t make a modern and engaging brand.

'Seats to suit' is an excellent model, Scurrah should be looking closely at this. But VA won't ditch The Club, it lets them compete with Qantas for high spenders, corporate accounts etc. Without The Club they would lose a LOT of business.
Last edited by CraigAnderson on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AVENSAB727

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 am

I wonder how IAH-SYD on UA is performing, It seems that the route has performed better as of late.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
I wonder how IAH-SYD on UA is performing, It seems that the route has performed better as of late.

It’s been reduced to 4 weekly over NS. That probably helps.

eamondzhang

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:

It’s been reduced to 4 weekly over NS. That probably helps.

And LAX is being reduced to 3x weekly during the same period which will help funneling all the transit pax to east cost IMO.

Michael

aryonoco

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 am

qf2220 wrote:
aryonoco wrote:
brucetiki wrote:

Mariner thought so.

I miss him around here. I actually thought of him when I said Allegiant.

A350OZ

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:43 am

aryonoco wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
aryonoco wrote:

Mariner thought so.

I miss him around here. I actually thought of him when I said Allegiant.

Ditto. The anniversary of his passing is coming up next week.

soyuz

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:33 am

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... om-459560/
Five more F100s for Alliance. Average age 26 years but knowing the Swiss, I assume they’ll be in pretty good nick.
It’s really good to see these older birds getting a second chance here in Australia. Such a quiet ride up front. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them along with a few 717s into the 2030s.

NTLDaz

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:47 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
- Get rid of ‘the club’

'Seats to suit' is an excellent model, Scurrah should be looking closely at this. But VA won't ditch The Club, it lets them compete with Qantas for high spenders, corporate accounts etc. Without The Club they would lose a LOT of business.

Spot on. If VA ditched the lounge there'd be a mad rush of corporates to the exit. It'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. It would be dumb.

QF754

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 am

QF742 wrote:

Doesn’t this describe the current VA offering? I can’t remember getting any more than a small snack and cup (not bottle) of water recently?

smi0006

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

NTLDaz wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
- Get rid of ‘the club’

Spot on. If VA ditched the lounge there'd be a mad rush of corporates to the exit. It'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. It would be dumb.

Sorry I’m not suggesting the lounge gets cut - I’m saying the club, VAs equivalent of the Chairman’s club. I’m sure they could cordon off a part of the current lounges, and offer continued bespoke service- I’m still skeptical VA need an invitation only club, I suspect the cooperates don’t care

brucetiki

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:46 am

QF742 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Don't they already do this on non-transcon flights? The protein balls they offer as a snack is a bit of a running joke right, even when compared the the snacks Qantas offer outside of meal times.

VapourTrails

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:40 am

Numerous diversions to MEB from MEL this evening due to weather. What is the capacity at MEB, and what is the largest aircraft has ever landed there? 747?

openskies88

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:05 pm

smi0006 wrote:

There's three:

Domestic and Short Haul International (VAA) - B737 and A330
Regional (VAA) - ATR72
Long Haul International (VAI) - A330 and B777

Basically an identical setup to what QF have in terms of crew resource groups.

I'm sure VA (and QF for that matter) would love to merge the cabin crew resources of domestic and long haul under one contract in the same vein as major US and EU carriers, but it's a bit difficult with a unionised airline like VA.

VapourTrails

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:13 pm

EK408 diverted to AVV. Not the first A380 visit though?

eamondzhang

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:18 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Numerous diversions to MEB from MEL this evening due to weather. What is the capacity at MEB, and what is the largest aircraft has ever landed there? 747?

Assume you mean Avalon? That's AVV, MEB is for Essendon.

EK A380 is currently there and they can handle A380. Biggest plane I would argue is B-52 lol.

Michael

Boof

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:18 pm

VapourTrails wrote:

Editing my original post as it looks like some flights nominated MEB but got in to MEL.

EK408 just went to AVV.

Gee we’ve had a lot of diversions on the Eastern Seaboard this past few days! Fun times!
Bring back Virgin Blue!

VapourTrails

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:25 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

EK A380 is currently there and they can handle A380.

Michael

No, definitely meant Essendon. I can understand the turboprops diverting there, although, the airports are quite close as we know. They were down to one runway at MEL, so it might be just for efficiency?
Last edited by VapourTrails on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D7A330

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

EK A380 is currently there and they can handle A380. Biggest plane I would argue is B-52 lol.

Michael

I know FR24 says several flights diverted to Essendon, but I don't buy it. I can't see it being a viable option with shorter runways...

log0008

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 pm

its wrong

see this flight for example

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 5#213988ef

eamondzhang

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:38 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

Michael

No, definitely meant Essendon. I can understand the turboprops diverting there, although, the airports are quite close as we know. They were down to one runway at MEL, so it might be just for efficiency?

Cheers mate

Well MEL is prone to single runway ops in Winter but this doesn't stop them.... from holding aircrafts mainly

As far as I'm aware the only diversion currently is EK408 as mentioned by others

D7A330 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

Michael

I know FR24 says several flights diverted to Essendon, but I don't buy it. I can't see it being a viable option with shorter runways...

And IIRC they ban everything that has an MTOW of greater than 27t which effectively means all commercial traffic is out.

Michael

VapourTrails

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:46 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

Cheers mate

Well MEL is prone to single runway ops in Winter but this doesn't stop them.... from holding aircrafts mainly

As far as I'm aware the only diversion currently is EK408 as mentioned by others.

D7A330 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

And IIRC they ban everything that has an MTOW of greater than 27t which effectively means all commercial traffic is out.

Michael

Thanks! Unreliable data on FR24. Good info here. It did seem a bit out of the ordinary. :scratchchin:

TN486T

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm

https://www.flightradar24.com/JST750/213a2ad4

Presumably got permission to land out of curfue in SYD prior to take off??

westgate

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 pm

BAeRJ100 wrote:
Cobham's first Q400 has just ferried to SNN for painting, expect it to arrive in PER before the end of the month. Three year old frame, ex D-ABQS of LGW/Air Berlin.

What kind of a routing would that take on it's way to Perth ? Would seem like quite a long journey with quite a few stops en-route.

westgate

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:44 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
On a personal note, back in 2014 I flew United SYD-SFO-IAD-LHR. Not a logical routing to London but I was visiting Europe and the USA (but not Asia) and doing what amounted to a return to Europe with a stopover on the way back worked out significantly cheaper than any RTW option. What made a long journey longer was that the SFO-IAD flight was delayed and I missed the connection to LHR so had an impromptu stopover in Washington. That said, I would do it again if the price was right.

I believe that such routings between Oz and Europe used to be much more common, but that the rise of the ME3 pretty much killed them off as well as even more recent entrants on the Kangaroo route such as China Southern. UA did sometimes offer the cheapest flights between SYD and LHR via either LAX and SFO and I'm sure NZ did the same when they still flew SYD-LAX non-stop. Haven't seen any fares like that come up in quite a long time though. I know someone who actually flew from LHR to PER via SFO and SYD about 15 years ago, as that was actually cheaper than via Asia back then.

BAeRJ100

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm

openskies88 wrote:
There's three:

Domestic and Short Haul International (VAA) - B737 and A330
Regional (VAA) - ATR72
Long Haul International (VAI) - A330 and B777

Don't forget the F100 and A320 that also fall under Regional.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

NTLDaz

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 pm

smi0006 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Sorry I’m not suggesting the lounge gets cut - I’m saying the club, VAs equivalent of the Chairman’s club. I’m sure they could cordon off a part of the current lounges, and offer continued bespoke service- I’m still skeptical VA need an invitation only club, I suspect the cooperates don’t care

Oh I get it now and tend to agree.

The only concern would be losing some of our self entitled class like politicians. I guess Virgin would have to weigh up that potential cost.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos