Boof
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 am

Boof wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:
Numerous diversions to MEB from MEL this evening due to weather. What is the capacity at MEB, and what is the largest aircraft has ever landed there? 747?


Editing my original post as it looks like some flights nominated MEB but got in to MEL.

EK408 just went to AVV.

Gee we’ve had a lot of diversions on the Eastern Seaboard this past few days! Fun times!


eamondzhang wrote:
And IIRC they ban everything that has an MTOW of greater than 27t which effectively means all commercial traffic is out.

Michael


When I posted last night I didn't have time to check things properly but reading the posts this morning (especially Michael's) I went back and checked the track logs and at no time did the three alleged aircraft at MEB (VA 737, SQ 744 & JQ 788) actually list as diverting to MEB so it was some sort of error with FR24.

I also took a look at the ERSA entry for MEB and found that the MTOW limit is 45T for all operations at MEB - exemptions are only for Defence and emergency need.

Cheers,
Boof
Bring back Virgin Blue!
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:34 am

Boof wrote:
When I posted last night I didn't have time to check things properly but reading the posts this morning (especially Michael's) I went back and checked the track logs and at no time did the three alleged aircraft at MEB (VA 737, SQ 744 & JQ 788) actually list as diverting to MEB so it was some sort of error with FR24.

I also took a look at the ERSA entry for MEB and found that the MTOW limit is 45T for all operations at MEB - exemptions are only for Defence and emergency need.

Cheers,
Boof

All good bro, FR24 does have a lot of [email protected] around and we all got caught up before!

Cheers
Michael
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Boof wrote:
When I posted last night I didn't have time to check things properly but reading the posts this morning (especially Michael's) I went back and checked the track logs and at no time did the three alleged aircraft at MEB (VA 737, SQ 744 & JQ 788) actually list as diverting to MEB so it was some sort of error with FR24.

I also took a look at the ERSA entry for MEB and found that the MTOW limit is 45T for all operations at MEB - exemptions are only for Defence and emergency need.

Cheers,
Boof

All good bro, FR24 does have a lot of [email protected] around and we all got caught up before!

Cheers
Michael


This is the first time I have encountered that kind of error with FR24, it does have other common (flights at low altitude) erroneous data that I am aware of. It is my first go to source, but seriously, I am thinking of ditching it for FlightAware full-time. I am not sure how that error would have occurred, for multiple flights, given the explanation about the use of MEB, which was very handy to know too, thank you!
 
Obzerva
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 am

out of interest, between MEB and MBW which can handle "larger" aircraft between the two?
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:19 am

Obzerva wrote:
out of interest, between MEB and MBW which can handle "larger" aircraft between the two?

Essendon can handle larger aircraft than Moorabbin. Essendon was Melbourne's airport up until 1970 so could in theory handle up to an A320/738. Moorabbin has always only been general aviaiton.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
VHZNE
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 am

tullamarine wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
out of interest, between MEB and MBW which can handle "larger" aircraft between the two?

Essendon can handle larger aircraft than Moorabbin. Essendon was Melbourne's airport up until 1970 so could in theory handle up to an A320/738. Moorabbin has always only been general aviaiton.


Pretty sure they had 767s land there back in the day, maybe DC-8s too?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 am

VHZNE wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
out of interest, between MEB and MBW which can handle "larger" aircraft between the two?

Essendon can handle larger aircraft than Moorabbin. Essendon was Melbourne's airport up until 1970 so could in theory handle up to an A320/738. Moorabbin has always only been general aviaiton.


Pretty sure they had 767s land there back in the day, maybe DC-8s too?

It shouldn't, as 767 came well after Essendon was closed to most of the commercial traffic and most likely after the 45t MTOW limitation was imposed.

Michael
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 am

Looks like Virgin's Velocity Frequent Flyer program is indeed heading for a float and ASX listing.

Forget about a strategic investor taking a stake in Virgin Australia's rewards program Velocity Frequent Flyer.
Because from what we understand, Virgin and its exiting co-investor Affinity Equity Partners are full-steam ahead towards listing it on the Australian Securities Exchange,
It is understood Virgin's bankers have the initial public offering path well advanced, and fund managers have been told to expect to meet Velocity and its management team soon after Virgin's upcoming annual earnings result.


https://www.afr.com/street-talk/virgin- ... 710-p525ru
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 am

VHZNE wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
out of interest, between MEB and MBW which can handle "larger" aircraft between the two?

Essendon can handle larger aircraft than Moorabbin. Essendon was Melbourne's airport up until 1970 so could in theory handle up to an A320/738. Moorabbin has always only been general aviaiton.


Pretty sure they had 767s land there back in the day, maybe DC-8s too?

No, Essendon closed as a commercial airport well before the arrival of 767s (1983) though maybe you meant 707. The biggest aircraft Ansett or TAA would've operated at the time would be 727-100s. I believe that Tullamarine would have opened to domestic ops (1972) before the 727-200s were introduced (1973). Essendon didn't have international operations so it is unlikely 707s or DC8s operated unless they were from some VIP fleet.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
rgrassick
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 am

eamondzhang wrote:
VHZNE wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Essendon can handle larger aircraft than Moorabbin. Essendon was Melbourne's airport up until 1970 so could in theory handle up to an A320/738. Moorabbin has always only been general aviaiton.


Pretty sure they had 767s land there back in the day, maybe DC-8s too?

It shouldn't, as 767 came well after Essendon was closed to most of the commercial traffic and most likely after the 45t MTOW limitation was imposed.

Michael



I remember attending an open day at Essendon and there was definitely an Ansett 767 there, but it was for the day/show only. I still have the photo sitting in a Nomad N22 there.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:40 am

Another development today, "Affinity to exit Velocity Frequent Flyers"

Affinity Equity Partners will exit its 35 per cent stake in Virgin Australia's rewards program as rumours swell over the scheme's future.
Virgin announced the development to the ASX on Thursday morning, hours after Street Talk reported that the pair of companies were moving towards listing the scheme on the ASX.


https://www.afr.com/business/transport/ ... 711-p5267o
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7737
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:50 am

VapourTrails wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
Boof wrote:
When I posted last night I didn't have time to check things properly but reading the posts this morning (especially Michael's) I went back and checked the track logs and at no time did the three alleged aircraft at MEB (VA 737, SQ 744 & JQ 788) actually list as diverting to MEB so it was some sort of error with FR24.

I also took a look at the ERSA entry for MEB and found that the MTOW limit is 45T for all operations at MEB - exemptions are only for Defence and emergency need.

Cheers,
Boof

All good bro, FR24 does have a lot of [email protected] around and we all got caught up before!

Cheers
Michael


This is the first time I have encountered that kind of error with FR24, it does have other common (flights at low altitude) erroneous data that I am aware of. It is my first go to source, but seriously, I am thinking of ditching it for FlightAware full-time. I am not sure how that error would have occurred, for multiple flights, given the explanation about the use of MEB, which was very handy to know too, thank you!


Just my opinion, but FlightRadar24 does seem more accurate in my experience. Neither are infallible and there are errors in the data of both sites. FR24 seems to be mostly accurate but occasionally comes up with some real crackers, whereas FlightAware appears to have more minor gaps in its data more often.

I think my worse/favourite FR24 error was when I got completely confused why a commercial flight was heading to Holsworthy!
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1604
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:51 am

I had a good FR24 error last night

At 2300 UTC+10 I observed VH-VGZ with the callsign JST820 departing BNE with no listed destination on a CORAL 5 departure to the North. The weird thing is JQ820 is a SYD-BNE flight so I was trying to work out why this flight landed at BNE and turned around with the same flight number going up the coast. I searched JST820 and VGZ had operated JQ820 from SYD and was now live on its next leg. I went back and noticed there was a second copy of VGZ just Infront of the other one "operating" JST820. But this was JST940 to CNS. Then after a little while the erroneous JST820 disappeared leaving only the correct JQ940 to CNS.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
aryonoco
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 1:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 am

tullamarine wrote:
believe that Tullamarine would have opened to domestic ops (1972) before the 727-200s were introduced (1973). Essendon didn't have international operations so it is unlikely 707s or DC8s operated unless they were from some VIP fleet.


Wait, so the city of Melbourne didn't have international operations until 1972?
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:43 am

Essendon would've had international flights, but the only flights going non stop overseas would've been Qantas and TEAL/Air New Zealand flights to New Zealand with Electras. Most international flights would've operated via SYD and maybe ADL/DRW, especially the Comets which would've been BOAC I assume. Jets that did operate into Essendon before Tullamarine opened up were 727, DC-9 and Comets
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 am

Here are some international Electras at Essendon:



And Comet 4s - both the regular BOAC and what appears to be a more rare visit by an RAF example:



It appears Caravelles passed through a couple of times, but it would seem only as visitors and not regularly:



V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
VHOGU
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:04 am

openskies88 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
- Why four different cabin crew groups? Regional, domestic 737, international 330 and long haul 777


There's three:

Domestic and Short Haul International (VAA) - B737 and A330
Regional (VAA) - ATR72
Long Haul International (VAI) - A330 and B777

Basically an identical setup to what QF have in terms of crew resource groups.

I'm sure VA (and QF for that matter) would love to merge the cabin crew resources of domestic and long haul under one contract in the same vein as major US and EU carriers, but it's a bit difficult with a unionised airline like VA.

Don’t forget VANZ.. they do all the flights between NZ, Australia, Vanuatu, Samoa etc on the internationally configured 737’s. Aussie crew only do these flights if somebody goes sick mid duty.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 am

VHOGU wrote:
openskies88 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
- Why four different cabin crew groups? Regional, domestic 737, international 330 and long haul 777


There's three:

Domestic and Short Haul International (VAA) - B737 and A330
Regional (VAA) - ATR72
Long Haul International (VAI) - A330 and B777

Basically an identical setup to what QF have in terms of crew resource groups.

I'm sure VA (and QF for that matter) would love to merge the cabin crew resources of domestic and long haul under one contract in the same vein as major US and EU carriers, but it's a bit difficult with a unionised airline like VA.

Don’t forget VANZ.. they do all the flights between NZ, Australia, Vanuatu, Samoa etc on the internationally configured 737’s. Aussie crew only do these flights if somebody goes sick mid duty.


There is no such thing as VANZ, nor are there any international configured 737's, the difference is related to ETOPS
Forum Moderator
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:47 am

tullamarine wrote:
VHZNE wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Essendon can handle larger aircraft than Moorabbin. Essendon was Melbourne's airport up until 1970 so could in theory handle up to an A320/738. Moorabbin has always only been general aviaiton.


Pretty sure they had 767s land there back in the day, maybe DC-8s too?

No, Essendon closed as a commercial airport well before the arrival of 767s (1983) though maybe you meant 707. The biggest aircraft Ansett or TAA would've operated at the time would be 727-100s. I believe that Tullamarine would have opened to domestic ops (1972) before the 727-200s were introduced (1973). Essendon didn't have international operations so it is unlikely 707s or DC8s operated unless they were from some VIP fleet.

Don't know if they ever used to have Super Connies operating from MEB, but all Transtasman routes were by 70-seat Electras for many years after the 707s and DC8s operated by QF and NZ were on the Tasman. Surely if the Super Connies did operate from there they would have been physically the largest aircraft to operate there.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:55 am

MH129 diverted to PER, looks like medical just pushed back
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5210
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:43 am

Appears QF A380’s are playing up with tonight’s QF2 SIN-SYD delayed 12 hours with a revised ETD0600 ETA1555. The QF2 aircraft appears to be forming the now 5 hour & 30 minute delayed QF7 SYD-DFW service.

Tonight’s QF1 SYD-SIN significantly delayed now departing tomorrow.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
388crazy
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am

Talking about MEB. Is there any way to find the registration of flights from the UK to MEB in the mid 1960s? I have been trying to find the flight my dad and his family arrived on. All I know is it was British eagle and a prop plane and I think it stopped in a few places then Singapore and Darwin.
319 320 A20N 321 332/3 346 359 388 737/8/9 74L/4/8 752/3 763/4 77E/L/W 788/9 AT75 CR7/9/K DH4 E145 E170/5 E190 MD88 -
4O 6E 9W AA AF AI AS AT AZ BA CA CX D7 D8 DI DJ DL DY EK EY FJ I2 IB IR JJ JQ KL KQ LB LH MH MI MU NZ PC QF RJ SG SQ TG TP TT UA VA VY
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:13 am

EK413 wrote:
Appears QF A380’s are playing up with tonight’s QF2 SIN-SYD delayed 12 hours with a revised ETD0600 ETA1555. The QF2 aircraft appears to be forming the now 5 hour & 30 minute delayed QF7 SYD-DFW service.

Tonight’s QF1 SYD-SIN significantly delayed now departing tomorrow.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Today's QF1 delayed 25 hours
Forum Moderator
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Appears QF A380’s are playing up with tonight’s QF2 SIN-SYD delayed 12 hours with a revised ETD0600 ETA1555. The QF2 aircraft appears to be forming the now 5 hour & 30 minute delayed QF7 SYD-DFW service.

Tonight’s QF1 SYD-SIN significantly delayed now departing tomorrow.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Today's QF1 delayed 25 hours

Not good for QF A380 recently with yesterday's QF1 also delayed by some 7 hours.

Edit: looks like OQD is down in SYD, hasn't flown since yesterday.
Michael
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 am

eamondzhang wrote:
qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Appears QF A380’s are playing up with tonight’s QF2 SIN-SYD delayed 12 hours with a revised ETD0600 ETA1555. The QF2 aircraft appears to be forming the now 5 hour & 30 minute delayed QF7 SYD-DFW service.

Tonight’s QF1 SYD-SIN significantly delayed now departing tomorrow.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Today's QF1 delayed 25 hours

Not good for QF A380 recently with yesterday's QF1 also delayed by some 7 hours.

Edit: looks like OQD is down in SYD, hasn't flown since yesterday.
Michael


With 2 already in maintenance, OQD is likely one of the frames affected by wing crack inspections plus the one going tech in SIN today that is putting a lot of pressure on the rest of the fleet
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am

While on the subject of aircraft going tech, yesterday's VA69 MEL-HKG returned to MEL shortly after take off with a suspect fuel leak, subsequently the flight got cancelled. XFG returned to service today on domestic duties

https://www.9news.com.au/national/virgi ... e6740be36e
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 pm

A couple of changes for ADL

Seasonal SQ service 3-31 Jan 20 increases from 10 to 11 weekly, A359 operating

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -jan-2020/

Qatar Airways increases capacity on DOH-ADL, operating 77W replacing A359, 6-30 Sep 19

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-changes/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Jetstar CHC changes

As previously reported SYD-CHC cancelled from 15 Oct 19.

Both OOL-CHC and MEL-CHC existing services maintained but both will see schedules changed

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2019/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Royal Brunei resumed BNE with subdued fanfare. I'm sure the QLD Govt. marketing funds are still OK (bit hard to renege once the ink has dried), but everything probably all hush hush for the time being. Perhaps there was a short "welcome back" spiel out of sight near gate 73B or something lol.
Separately, RB will also enter into an arrangement with Malindo to operate 2 ATR's on BWN-BKI/KCH services along with three "new" destinations in Borneo, although in the past BPN was served directly as was MYY, LBU via a subsidiary. And they says history never repeats...
 
oskarclare
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:01 am

eta unknown wrote:
Royal Brunei resumed BNE with subdued fanfare. I'm sure the QLD Govt. marketing funds are still OK (bit hard to renege once the ink has dried), but everything probably all hush hush for the time being. Perhaps there was a short "welcome back" spiel out of sight near gate 73B or something lol.
Separately, RB will also enter into an arrangement with Malindo to operate 2 ATR's on BWN-BKI/KCH services along with three "new" destinations in Borneo, although in the past BPN was served directly as was MYY, LBU via a subsidiary. And they says history never repeats...


According to travel daily, after the Sharia Laws were introduced, reservations dropped for 1-2 weeks before they went back up to ‘above trend’. They also hoping to increase to daily as soon as possible. Good signs so far which is good.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3178
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 am

qf789 wrote:
VHOGU wrote:
openskies88 wrote:

There's three:

Domestic and Short Haul International (VAA) - B737 and A330
Regional (VAA) - ATR72
Long Haul International (VAI) - A330 and B777

Basically an identical setup to what QF have in terms of crew resource groups.

I'm sure VA (and QF for that matter) would love to merge the cabin crew resources of domestic and long haul under one contract in the same vein as major US and EU carriers, but it's a bit difficult with a unionised airline like VA.

Don’t forget VANZ.. they do all the flights between NZ, Australia, Vanuatu, Samoa etc on the internationally configured 737’s. Aussie crew only do these flights if somebody goes sick mid duty.


There is no such thing as VANZ, nor are there any international configured 737's, the difference is related to ETOPS


Isn’t VANZ still an contract crew employer as such? Even though they no long have aircraft or an AOC, they still employ crew and contract them to VA?

Same as Jetconnect no longer has an AOC or Fleet, but you’ll still find New Zealand based crew employed by Jetconnect and contacted out to Qantas. Same with Jetstar in New Zealand/Tasman the aircraft and AOC belong to JQ(Australia) but the crew are paid/employed by JetConnect who contracts them out to Jetstar.
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 am

zkncj wrote:
Isn’t VANZ still a contract crew employer as such? Even though they no long have aircraft or an AOC, they still employ crew and contract them to VA?

Probably as much to do with scheduling and utilisation as anything else. Starting and finishing each day in NZ allows an airline to operate two return Tasman trips a day. Because of the SYD curfew, only one-and-a half return trips can be made if an aircraft starts and ends its day at SYD. Two return flights can be operated in a day from MEL or BNE, but this does mean the last departure of the day is around 2130/2200 from NZ, which does not seem to be favoured by pax as much as earlier departures. And of course any carrier which operates an aircraft on one-and-a-half return Tasman flights a day in either direction has to accommodate crew overnight at the end of the day - an avoidable expense.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
jimmyah
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 am

zkncj wrote:
Isn’t VANZ still an contract crew employer as such? Even though they no long have aircraft or an AOC, they still employ crew and contract them to VA?


Correct, there is a Virgin Australia (NZ) Employment and Crewing Limited company registered that only seem to contract out according to their financial statements (https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/com ... 2AE5056059)
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 am

oskarclare wrote:
According to travel daily, after the Sharia Laws were introduced, reservations dropped for 1-2 weeks before they went back up to ‘above trend’. They also hoping to increase to daily as soon as possible. Good signs so far which is good.


The flight should be daily (if aircraft rotation permits with the long turnaround time)- it needs to be as the real purpose is to help MEL fill LHR. Then again, the flight never should have been cancelled in 2011 as at the time BNE was their highest revenue generating station after BWN, but that's internal politics for you (and the fact head office didn't want to give back the $2M MEL airport marketing funds).
 
VHOGU
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:51 am

qf789 wrote:
VHOGU wrote:
openskies88 wrote:

There's three:

Domestic and Short Haul International (VAA) - B737 and A330
Regional (VAA) - ATR72
Long Haul International (VAI) - A330 and B777

Basically an identical setup to what QF have in terms of crew resource groups.

I'm sure VA (and QF for that matter) would love to merge the cabin crew resources of domestic and long haul under one contract in the same vein as major US and EU carriers, but it's a bit difficult with a unionised airline like VA.

Don’t forget VANZ.. they do all the flights between NZ, Australia, Vanuatu, Samoa etc on the internationally configured 737’s. Aussie crew only do these flights if somebody goes sick mid duty.


There is no such thing as VANZ, nor are there any international configured 737's, the difference is related to ETOPS

There IS such a crew base as VANZ actually.. and the international 737’s are fitted with extra ELT’s, centreline rafts and more portable oxygen.. anything VH-YI*
 
aryonoco
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 1:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 am

jupiter2 wrote:
Essendon would've had international flights, but the only flights going non stop overseas would've been Qantas and TEAL/Air New Zealand flights to New Zealand with Electras.


VirginFlyer wrote:
Here are some international Electras at Essendon:V/F


Thank you both for this information.
 
TN486T
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages ... f63-09.jpg

A page from a QF 1963 timetable showing QF Electra flight to South Africa and vice versa out of MEB.
 
TN486T
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:34 am

388crazy wrote:
Talking about MEB. Is there any way to find the registration of flights from the UK to MEB in the mid 1960s? I have been trying to find the flight my dad and his family arrived on. All I know is it was British eagle and a prop plane and I think it stopped in a few places then Singapore and Darwin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=british ... e&ie=UTF-8
Check out the above link it may be os some help. The ac your dad was on would have been a Briston Brittania, and a charter flight. I don't believe they ever flew scheduled services to Aus.
 
FL420FT
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 am

qf789 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Today's QF1 delayed 25 hours

Not good for QF A380 recently with yesterday's QF1 also delayed by some 7 hours.

Edit: looks like OQD is down in SYD, hasn't flown since yesterday.
Michael


With 2 already in maintenance, OQD is likely one of the frames affected by wing crack inspections plus the one going tech in SIN today that is putting a lot of pressure on the rest of the fleet


The QF1 delay was a result of a fuel pump oil leak (I heard number 4 engine).

The previously mentioned QF2 delay (10 hour overnight in SIN) was a result of the day before, QF1 which had a 6 hour delay which forced minimum crew rest requirements for so said QF2
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3183
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:33 pm

eta unknown wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
According to travel daily, after the Sharia Laws were introduced, reservations dropped for 1-2 weeks before they went back up to ‘above trend’. They also hoping to increase to daily as soon as possible. Good signs so far which is good.


The flight should be daily (if aircraft rotation permits with the long turnaround time)- it needs to be as the real purpose is to help MEL fill LHR. Then again, the flight never should have been cancelled in 2011 as at the time BNE was their highest revenue generating station after BWN, but that's internal politics for you (and the fact head office didn't want to give back the $2M MEL airport marketing funds).


Here we go again...

If it was doing as well as you state it was, it would have stayed. Sorry to say, but the reality is that you call it politics, which plays a part yes, but it was at a time that some difficult decisions were a necessity.

Time to move on from that and just be thankful that they returned.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 pm

FJ will suspend SUV-SYD for about 3 months for runway maintenance

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2019/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:44 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:

Here we go again...

If it was doing as well as you state it was, it would have stayed. Sorry to say, but the reality is that you call it politics, which plays a part yes, but it was at a time that some difficult decisions were a necessity.

Time to move on from that and just be thankful that they returned.[/quote]

Where are we going lol
Sorry to correct you , but I have the complete inside info which I can't post here and yes, it was purely political involving the Ministry of Finance. FYI AKL was always under the microscope, PER became marginal, but BNE performed well. But as you say, let's move on...
 
a320fan
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:36 pm

qf789 wrote:
FJ will suspend SUV-SYD for about 3 months for runway maintenance

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2019/


Learn something new everyday. Always thought the only jet airport in Fiji was Nadi. How long has SUV-SYD existed and what market does it attract?
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300
 
Gangurru
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:12 pm

a320fan wrote:
Learn something new everyday. Always thought the only jet airport in Fiji was Nadi. How long has SUV-SYD existed and what market does it attract?


Whilst I cannot confirm the start date for SYD-SUV, flights to AKL started over 25 years ago. In the mid 1990s my partner and I flew SUV-AKL in an FJ 737-500. The airport has a short runway and the terminal was rustic and quaint. It was the closest to what I imagine a 1950s airport experience would have been like.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7737
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 pm

a320fan wrote:
qf789 wrote:
FJ will suspend SUV-SYD for about 3 months for runway maintenance

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2019/


Learn something new everyday. Always thought the only jet airport in Fiji was Nadi. How long has SUV-SYD existed and what market does it attract?


The market is predominantly VFR for people with family connections from Suva (which is the largest city in Fiji) and the western side of Viti Levu. There is also some government and diplomatic traffic, but the 1x weekly schedule means that a lot of that traffic goes via NAN in at least one direction due to schedule convenience.

There is some (very) limited tourism traffic, but most tourists for whom SUV is more convenient than NAN wouldn't think of flying there. For example, SUV is 1h30m drive to Pacific Harbour whereas NAN is 2h30m, but almost everyone would fly in through NAN. For the most part though the tourist infrastructure is very much centred around the west/south-west of Viti Levu and the Mamanuca and Yassawa Islands, which are accessible from Nadi/Denarau.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Boof
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Gangurru wrote:
a320fan wrote:
Learn something new everyday. Always thought the only jet airport in Fiji was Nadi. How long has SUV-SYD existed and what market does it attract?


Whilst I cannot confirm the start date for SYD-SUV, flights to AKL started over 25 years ago. In the mid 1990s my partner and I flew SUV-AKL in an FJ 737-500. The airport has a short runway and the terminal was rustic and quaint. It was the closest to what I imagine a 1950s airport experience would have been like.


Started (re-started after 7 year hiatus) in May 2014, route aimed at Business, NGO and Govt but ended up more VFR due to island connections. Not a route you see on sale all that often but being once weekly it does well. BITRE shows they carried 12k pax average in 2017 and 2018 on the in and outbound combined which is a 95% LF on the 122 seat 73G they use.

Originally it was announced as being twice weekly Monday and Fridays but I can’t find if that ever happened or when it reduced to once weekly.

Sources:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/fiji-airways-b ... va-flights
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... m-may-2014
Bring back Virgin Blue!
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7737
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:45 am

QF431 SYD-MEL was operated by 747 VH-OEJ today. Does anyone know why?
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
QF431 SYD-MEL was operated by 747 VH-OEJ today. Does anyone know why?


Most likely due to weather in SYD, VA has also added a couple of A332 services on MEL-SYD today

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... d81de780fd
Forum Moderator
 
VHZNE
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 am

qf789 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
QF431 SYD-MEL was operated by 747 VH-OEJ today. Does anyone know why?


Most likely due to weather in SYD, VA has also added a couple of A332 services on MEL-SYD today

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... d81de780fd



Adding on to that, SYD was down to one runway today too, so that wouldn’t help with the delays.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8411
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 am

VA962/981 BNE-SYD-BNE upgraded to A332 today as well
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos