kriskim

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:00 am

A350OZ wrote:
I saw on Linkedin that SQ is hiring for 25 positions across Australia, mainly in sales and marketing/partnerships, but some also eCommerce and admin. Most located in Melbourne and Sydney, but some also in Brisbane and Perth.

That is a huge number for an off-shore airline to hire at once. Does anyone know the reasons behind it? Are they expanding? Are they restructuring?

SQ are however closing their Adelaide office.
A world built upon connectivity.

Obzerva

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:22 am

A350OZ wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
Just a quick one re JQ and their A321s, are they purely domestic, or have they ventured to NZ or DPS?

I seem to recall JQ using them on DRW-SIN and DRW-DPS, many years ago when they operated the scissor hub that also connected CNS and OOL I believe. But that would have been 8-10 years ago, so not sure if I remember correctly.

Edit: Ha, here is proof:

completely forgot about the DRW hub, good memory!

jrfspa320

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:52 am

Obzerva wrote:
A350OZ wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
Just a quick one re JQ and their A321s, are they purely domestic, or have they ventured to NZ or DPS?

I seem to recall JQ using them on DRW-SIN and DRW-DPS, many years ago when they operated the scissor hub that also connected CNS and OOL I believe. But that would have been 8-10 years ago, so not sure if I remember correctly.

Edit: Ha, here is proof:

completely forgot about the DRW hub, good memory!

I have flown SIN-DRW on the A321 back in 2010, when JQ operated the route, as opposed to 3K now.

I dont think the A321s make it overseas these days.

aryonoco

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:30 am

So what's the thinking here in regards to what QF is going to do with the 36 XLR that they ordered? Surely they'd be flown international, right?

moa999

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:50 am

Best to go back and read the June thread (the order was announced on Jun 19). Note also it's a Group order for 36, with some (possibly most) likely to end up in silver.

Pcoder

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:24 am

aryonoco wrote:
So what's the thinking here in regards to what QF is going to do with the 36 XLR that they ordered? Surely they'd be flown international, right?

One good reason for seeing the A321XLRs in Qantas colours, Sydney West Airport. The A321XLR will allow Qantas to offer services to SIN, HKG, PVG and NRT without the need to fill up a widebody.

The A321XLR might actually be a bit of a a330 replacement, with Qantas moving towards thin routes for Asian international flights. This is also why I'm slightly doubting Qantas becoming a 787-10 carrier as although people don't see it, the A321XLR is a bit of a competitor for it (doesn't mean they won't ever order it, but I see less chance of an order now).

QF742

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:38 am

Pcoder wrote:
aryonoco wrote:

One good reason for seeing the A321XLRs in Qantas colours, Sydney West Airport. The A321XLR will allow Qantas to offer services to SIN, HKG, PVG and NRT without the need to fill up a widebody.

The A321XLR might actually be a bit of a a330 replacement, with Qantas moving towards thin routes for Asian international flights. This is also why I'm slightly doubting Qantas becoming a 787-10 carrier as although people don't see it, the A321XLR is a bit of a competitor for it (doesn't mean they won't ever order it, but I see less chance of an order now).

I can’t really see QF operating any of those routes from SWZ. I think it will be more like the MEL/AVV division, just with QF flights actually at SWZ to MEL/BNE and probably the rest on JQ. I would guess the majority of international ops there on behalf of QF group would be JQ - and an A321XLR could be useful to somewhere like SIN (but in JQ livery). QF could possibly use the 321XLR to expand at PER and ADL (eg ADL-SIN, PER-HKG, PER-AKL). From MEL maybe KIX, MNL or CGK?

Pcoder

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:53 am

QF742 wrote:
Pcoder wrote:
aryonoco wrote:

I can’t really see QF operating any of those routes from SWZ. I think it will be more like the MEL/AVV division, just with QF flights actually at SWZ to MEL/BNE and probably the rest on JQ. I would guess the majority of international ops there on behalf of QF group would be JQ - and an A321XLR could be useful to somewhere like SIN (but in JQ livery). QF could possibly use the 321XLR to expand at PER and ADL (eg ADL-SIN, PER-HKG, PER-AKL). From MEL maybe KIX, MNL or CGK?

There is one thing that SWZ can do that SYD can't, curfew free flights. If you look at Sydney and Melbourne airports, Sydney airport is basically closed up for international flights before 8pm (only a few flights operate late), whereas Melbourne is positively busy around 11pm.

SWZ will allow airlines to offer later lights without the downsides of any delays encroaching on the curfew. Also we have to remember that SWZ is not in woop woop, it is still very much in the Sydney basin (compared to AVV which is actually in Geelong)

qf002

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:25 am

Pcoder wrote:
There is one thing that SWZ can do that SYD can't, curfew free flights. If you look at Sydney and Melbourne airports, Sydney airport is basically closed up for international flights before 8pm (only a few flights operate late), whereas Melbourne is positively busy around 11pm.

SYD has more international departures between 8pm and the curfew than MEL does between 8pm and 6am the next morning (around 15, more than just "a few").

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:39 am

MH to increase frequency on KUL-MEL from 14 to 17 weekly, 16 Nov 19 to 29 Feb 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... y-changes/
Forum Moderator

Pcoder

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:53 am

qf002 wrote:
Pcoder wrote:

SYD has more international departures between 8pm and the curfew than MEL does between 8pm and 6am the next morning (around 15, more than just "a few").

I've counted it and Melbourne has over 17 flights during the 8 til end of curfew (excluding code shares). Sydney does still have a number of flights but I could only find 15 flights. My point is that that the Sydney basin has room to expand and is being held back by the curfew and with the opening of SWZ, it will allow airlines to offer many more later flights.

qf002

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:24 am

Pcoder wrote:
I've counted it and Melbourne has over 17 flights during the 8 til end of curfew (excluding code shares). Sydney does still have a number of flights but I could only find 15 flights. My point is that that the Sydney basin has room to expand and is being held back by the curfew and with the opening of SWZ, it will allow airlines to offer many more later flights.

International flights departing MEL in the 10 hour period between 8pm tonight and 6am tomorrow morning:
EK407
MU740
QF905
EY461
TR25
MH128
TG462
FJ930
CX178
JQ217
JL774
SQ218
EK409
(13 total)

International flights departing SYD during the same period:
3U606
D7221
TR13
EY455
NH880
VA79
EK413
QR909
QF117
HU448
SQ288
HA452
CX138
MH140
CI52
(total 15)

I'm sure there will be some overnight flights from SWZ but I expect them to be fairly limited. The curfew hasn't exactly cost SYD flights, maybe just an overnight departure to SIN.

Cargo is probably where the difference will be more noticeable.

eamondzhang

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:46 am

qf002 wrote:
Pcoder wrote:

International flights departing MEL in the 10 hour period between 8pm tonight and 6am tomorrow morning:
EK407
MU740
QF905
EY461
TR25
MH128
TG462
FJ930
CX178
JQ217
JL774
SQ218
EK409
(13 total)

International flights departing SYD during the same period:
3U606
D7221
TR13
EY455
NH880
VA79
EK413
QR909
QF117
HU448
SQ288
HA452
CX138
MH140
CI52
(total 15)

I'm sure there will be some overnight flights from SWZ but I expect them to be fairly limited. The curfew hasn't exactly cost SYD flights, maybe just an overnight departure to SIN.

Cargo is probably where the difference will be more noticeable.

That's just today, in MEL we also had CI58, QF49, QF95, 3U602, CA166 for example, but none of these are daily in winter so easy to miss.

Also, it's QR905 not QF905 :stirthepot:

Michael

RyanairGuru

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:48 am

qf002 wrote:
The curfew hasn't exactly cost SYD flights, maybe just an overnight departure to SIN

That is the only flight I can think of that is clearly missing.

The likes of CX to HKG and MH to KUL leave earlier than the correspondence flights from MEL, but still arrive at 05:00 which is realistically the earliest acceptable arrival time and is still serving the same connecting flow as the midnight departures from MEL. A corresponding flight to SIN would have an 04-something arrival and that's something SQ have never showed an interest in offering, not having an overnight flight at all for many years and now offering a one-stop via CBR that chews up some time and pushes the arrival past 05:00.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jrfspa320

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:50 am

Just realised that QF canned the MEL red eye to AKL, i always thought that was a popular option...

A350OZ

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:20 am

Pcoder wrote:
Also we have to remember that SWZ is not in woop woop, it is still very much in the Sydney basin (compared to AVV which is actually in Geelong)

Sorry but that's stretching it a bit. AVV is closer to Melbourne's CBD (~53 km from the GPO) than SWZ will be from Sydney's equivalent at Martin Place (~56 km). While I agree that AVV is on the "wrong side of Melbourne" (i.e. inconvenient for those living out east and southeast), it is as much in Woop Woop as SWZ is (the difference being that much of Sydney now also seems to live in Woop Woop, or closer to it than to the CBD). From Parramatta it will still be further to SWZ than to SYD.

And as others have posted, I do not see QF offering international services out of SWZ. Some key domestic routes yes, but setting up a second station for limited international ops just does not make sense, even during curfew hours. SQ may try it, maybe even CX to HKG, plus of course JQ and other international low-cost carriers lured by cheaper operating costs, but not QF as long as they have their hub at SYD. It is more relevant for the domestic business traveller who lives out west and SWZ is more convenient than SYD, or those doing business in the outer west and flying in from MEL or BNE.

Pcoder

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:28 am

A350OZ wrote:
Pcoder wrote:
Also we have to remember that SWZ is not in woop woop, it is still very much in the Sydney basin (compared to AVV which is actually in Geelong)

Sorry but that's stretching it a bit. AVV is closer to Melbourne's CBD (~53 km from the GPO) than SWZ will be from Sydney's equivalent at Martin Place (~56 km). While I agree that AVV is on the "wrong side of Melbourne" (i.e. inconvenient for those living out east and southeast), it is as much in Woop Woop as SWZ is (the difference being that much of Sydney now also seems to live in Woop Woop, or closer to it than to the CBD). From Parramatta it will still be further to SWZ than to SYD.

And as others have posted, I do not see QF offering international services out of SWZ. Some key domestic routes yes, but setting up a second station for limited international ops just does not make sense, even during curfew hours. SQ may try it, maybe even CX to HKG, plus of course JQ and other international low-cost carriers lured by cheaper operating costs, but not QF as long as they have their hub at SYD. It is more relevant for the domestic business traveller who lives out west and SWZ is more convenient than SYD, or those doing business in the outer west and flying in from MEL or BNE.

The geographical population centre of Melbourne is Glen Iris which is 64km away from AVV. Most people in Melbourne live on the east side of the city.

Also Sydney's geographical population centre is Ermington, which is only about 40km away from SWZ and 24kms from SYD

qf2220

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:38 am

FiftyLitres wrote:
Long time lurker, first time poster here!

I wonder whether this is an early indication of a further order for B789s? Currently, QF have been using the JQ simulator in Melbourne plus the existing one in Sydney for the 11 JQ B788s and the upcoming 14 QF B789s. Usually one would expect approximately 1 simulator per 14 aircraft which is the case for Qantas's A388 and A332/A333 fleet (1 sim for 12 aircraft and 2 sims for 28, respectively).

Three simulators for a total of 25 aircraft between JQ and QF seems quite excessive. As RyanairGuru pointed out, the current order of 14 airframes barely covers the existing route structure:

RyanairGuru wrote:
If we focus on just SYD-SCL/JNB/HND you could operate those routes with 4 frames, so the 3 new frames plus cancelling HKG would provide enough capacity, but this means running the fleet at 14/14 year round which is not feasible. It also means SCL cannot be increased beyond 4x weekly as there is no flexibility in the fleet to do so. Routes like YVR and charters will of course cease to exist, but that's likely to occur with the retirement on the 747 anyway.

Since 787Blogger posted this article in 2015 (stating that QF retains 15 options and 30 purchase rights), CEO Alan Joyce has ordered 6 more B789s for a total of 14 and allowed one option to lapse which leaves 8 remaining options.

I could envisage CEO Alan Joyce taking those last 8 options in two lots of 4 - using the first tranche for increased frequency on SYD-SCL/JNB, BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD initially and possibly open some new routes with the second lot (YVR year round or PER to Europe?). This would bring the sim to aircraft ration to 1 per 11 (22 B789s + 11 B788s for a total for 33 aircraft for 3 sims) which seems much more in line with Qantas's current simulator usage.

Food for thought!

I love this sort of analysis.

Though is number of frames the driver or is it number of fleet flight hours? They might be much of a muchness if subfleet utilisation is similar.

qf2220

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:44 am

Pcoder wrote:

Also Sydney's geographical population centre is Ermington, which is only about 40km away from SWZ and 24kms from SYD

That is not the geographic centre you want to look at. You want to look at the geographic centre of a region bounded by say Nowra, Goulburn, Lighgow, Central Coast and the East Coast. SWZ is far better positioned than AVV by a long shot given the wider market that SWZ is being built to cater for and that will have significant travel time savings because of.

QF742

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:39 am

Pcoder wrote:
A350OZ wrote:
Pcoder wrote:

The geographical population centre of Melbourne is Glen Iris which is 64km away from AVV. Most people in Melbourne live on the east side of the city.

While there are certainly geographic and demographic differences that probably favour SWZ over AVV (in terms of relationship to their respective cities), I still think QF’s service will be limited (initially) to BNE and MEL. I could see other key domestic markets, HBA, ADL, OOL and PER on JQ.

The analysis done by other posters about what services are actually lacking because of the curfew at SYD was very helpful and shows that the constraint is not massive for key markets (eg SIN). SWZ might pick up some services that can’t be catered at SYD but this will need to be weighed up against the increase in operational costs of splitting Sydney ops across 2 airports.

This may have been previously discussed but will SWZ be counted as SYD for bilateral purposes? Does anyone know the same re AVV?

kriskim

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 am

QF742 wrote:
Pcoder wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

While there are certainly geographic and demographic differences that probably favour SWZ over AVV (in terms of relationship to their respective cities), I still think QF’s service will be limited (initially) to BNE and MEL. I could see other key domestic markets, HBA, ADL, OOL and PER on JQ.

The analysis done by other posters about what services are actually lacking because of the curfew at SYD was very helpful and shows that the constraint is not massive for key markets (eg SIN). SWZ might pick up some services that can’t be catered at SYD but this will need to be weighed up against the increase in operational costs of splitting Sydney ops across 2 airports.

This may have been previously discussed but will SWZ be counted as SYD for bilateral purposes? Does anyone know the same re AVV?

Yes, AVV is counted in the bi-lateral as part of “Melbourne”. However it can be amended, for example the Philippines bi-lateral with Australia was amended to give AVV seperate capacity from MEL a few years back, but 5J still picked to fly to MEL.
A world built upon connectivity.

Pcoder

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 am

In other news, Cobham have had a little accident whilst taxiing at PER for a FIFO flight.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... b0429648d2

a320fan

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Pcoder wrote:
In other news, Cobham have had a little accident whilst taxiing at PER for a FIFO flight.

Oops. Pretty nasty for such an old jet.
Also oops to the article calling it a twin engined jet right below a photo clearly showing all four engines...
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Qantas16

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Good news for CNS fliers as the Reef Lounge will remain open once CX leaves as it is now being run by Menzies Aviation

Source: https://www.4ca.com.au/news/local-news/ ... management

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:02 pm

REX to trial its community fare scheme in regional QLD for 6 months

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... ueensland/
Forum Moderator

brucetiki

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 am

a320fan wrote:
Pcoder wrote:

Oops. Pretty nasty for such an old jet.
Also oops to the article calling it a twin engined jet right below a photo clearly showing all four engines...

Then there's this gem too:

'The Cobham terminal, that services the regional flights, was reportedly been evacuated.'

Brilliant grammar there!

Captdasbomb

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:28 am

qf2220 wrote:
FiftyLitres wrote:
Long time lurker, first time poster here!

I wonder whether this is an early indication of a further order for B789s? Currently, QF have been using the JQ simulator in Melbourne plus the existing one in Sydney for the 11 JQ B788s and the upcoming 14 QF B789s. Usually one would expect approximately 1 simulator per 14 aircraft which is the case for Qantas's A388 and A332/A333 fleet (1 sim for 12 aircraft and 2 sims for 28, respectively).

Three simulators for a total of 25 aircraft between JQ and QF seems quite excessive. As RyanairGuru pointed out, the current order of 14 airframes barely covers the existing route structure:

RyanairGuru wrote:
If we focus on just SYD-SCL/JNB/HND you could operate those routes with 4 frames, so the 3 new frames plus cancelling HKG would provide enough capacity, but this means running the fleet at 14/14 year round which is not feasible. It also means SCL cannot be increased beyond 4x weekly as there is no flexibility in the fleet to do so. Routes like YVR and charters will of course cease to exist, but that's likely to occur with the retirement on the 747 anyway.

Since 787Blogger posted this article in 2015 (stating that QF retains 15 options and 30 purchase rights), CEO Alan Joyce has ordered 6 more B789s for a total of 14 and allowed one option to lapse which leaves 8 remaining options.

I could envisage CEO Alan Joyce taking those last 8 options in two lots of 4 - using the first tranche for increased frequency on SYD-SCL/JNB, BNE-SFO and BNE-ORD initially and possibly open some new routes with the second lot (YVR year round or PER to Europe?). This would bring the sim to aircraft ration to 1 per 11 (22 B789s + 11 B788s for a total for 33 aircraft for 3 sims) which seems much more in line with Qantas's current simulator usage.

Food for thought!

I love this sort of analysis.

Though is number of frames the driver or is it number of fleet flight hours? They might be much of a muchness if subfleet utilisation is similar.

They will be re-training a lot of the 747 pilots to the Dreamliners & it will be cheaper to do it in house than competing for SIM slots elsewhere. Then add the 2 new flight schools coming online majority of the graduates will start as 2nd officers on the Dreamliners

FiftyLitres

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:02 am

Captdasbomb wrote:
They will be re-training a lot of the 747 pilots to the Dreamliners & it will be cheaper to do it in house than competing for SIM slots elsewhere. Then add the 2 new flight schools coming online majority of the graduates will start as 2nd officers on the Dreamliners

This is true. However, they should be able to quite easily manage this training load with the existing 2 simulators, in my opinion. It is a $23 million dollar investment that Qantas is then going to have to relocate in the next few years due to the Sydney Gateway Project which will require moving the Flight Training Centre 150 metres to the east.

This seems to me like a big cost to the airline for only a temporary increase in training capacity. Also, it is quite likely that only a very small number of the Qantas Group Pilot Academy graduates will be employed as B787 Second Officers. See:
Training pilots not just for Qantas, but QantasLink, JetStar and others.
Not guaranteed a job at Qantas.

qf2220 wrote:

I believe the main driver is the number of pilots - which is directly related to number of airframes. Fleet flight hours has very little to do with it. This is because pilots require regular simulator checks which are independent of how much flying they, or the aircraft, have been doing.

I still believe this is a very strong indicator of more B789 orders. The Annual General Meeting is scheduled for 25/10/2019 - I expect big things!

CityRail

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:15 pm

May I ask which of the 6 VA A330 has WiFi now?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-A7050 發送

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:22 pm

Please continue discussion in Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1428227
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos