Re: Indian Aviation Thread - July 2019

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 pm

Chennai airport to handle 100 more flights

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 403372.cms

edealinfo

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:04 am

AirAsia india starts:

New Delhi - Bangalore (its fourth daily flight)
New Delhi - Chandigarh

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 36366.html

edealinfo

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 am

Vistara Airbus damaged

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 807_1.html

A luggage container, moved by heavy winds, hit the engine of the Vistara aircraft early on Saturday. The aircraft was parked at the apron near international terminal. The containers belonged to Korean Airlines. Airlines are required to lock containers and other ground equipment during storms to prevent mishaps. An aviation source said the Korean Air containers were not secured properly.

An Air India executive, however said the containers were secured and kept over a hundred metre away from the parking bay.

unnayan

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:46 am

Indigo is starting third daily Del DIB frequency from 14 AUG .. this will be the only true nonstop in both directions

AirIndia

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:03 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Also, note that Emirates used the switched capacity to expand to BLR and not DEL and not BOM -- I wonder what that implies.

What this shows is that BOM/DEL/BLR seem to be where it is at.

Adding a few more possibilities.

2. Possible that EK+FZ have already capped out on the DEL and BOM seat entitlements while BLR they had some to play with.
3. Possible that DGCA allowed EK to shift seat entitlement from TRV to BLR.

edealinfo

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:54 pm

AirIndia wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Also, note that Emirates used the switched capacity to expand to BLR and not DEL and not BOM -- I wonder what that implies.

What this shows is that BOM/DEL/BLR seem to be where it is at.

Adding a few more possibilities.

2. Possible that EK+FZ have already capped out on the DEL and BOM seat entitlements while BLR they had some to play with.
3. Possible that DGCA allowed EK to shift seat entitlement from TRV to BLR.

Nice thinking on additional possibilities.

Quick question: I wasn't aware that DXB had seat caps on individual cities such as BOM and DEL. Could you confirm?

Separately, for informational purposes, and to expand the discussion:

1. In 2016, I understand that Emirates called for emergency meeting to expand bilaterals; since then however, the bilaterals have not expanded. [That was probably the time that DXB has exhausted its bilaterals to India].

2. In the past year (this was before Vistara became eligible to fly internationally), Indian carriers by and large objected to expansion of the bilateral. However, Spicejet contended that if the Govt., nevertheless, decided to increase the bilateral they were ready to start numerous flights to DXB.

3. The Government recently indicated that that to protect Indian carriers, it would no longer increase the number of "ports of call" (or whatever it is technically called), meaning that it won't allowed DXB carries to fly to more cities in India that they are entitled to (in the next bilateral).

4. SpiceJet now has a codeshare agreement with Emirates so it will be interesting if they can use their influence to expand the bilateral.

5. Kannur and Vijayawada airports have begged the Government to allow those cities to be added to the bilateral for DXB carriers to fly to them.

6. I believe Kannur is operating at something like 25% of capacity. They claim that if the Government makes an exception to existing bilaterals to allow 2 flights a day from carriers in the entire Gulf region, they would be operating at double of what they are operating now.

7. While Indian and DXB carriers have exhausted the bilateral on both sides, Indian carriers have plenty of available bilateral capacity to fly to Abu Dhabi (AUH). I understand that Jet used to operate something like 11 flights a day from India to AUH and since Jet's collapse, much of that capacity has yet to be restored.

8. India has negotiated separate bilateral rights to DXB and AUH. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts, and that of unrave, Caliguy, lightsaber and others, on whether or not this makes sense from India's point of view, or whether India should insist on single bilateral covering the entire UAE as opposed to separate agreement for each emirate, GOING FORWARD. I assume that UAE will not budge on allowing the existing agreement to be amended so that India's unused bilateral to AUH be used towards DXB, since that will only favor one party (India).

9. Does anyone heve any clue why Vistara hasn't yet announced details for their BOM to DXB flight? Is DXB giving them a hard time on a commercially viable slot as Vistara would directly compete with Emirates (as opposed to Indian low cost carriers)?

10. I understand that Dubai is pushing for India's bilateral to DXB to be expanded. Does anyone have information on India's position at the current time?

11. The Indian courts are examining whether the India - AUH bilateral was unduly increased [at the time Etihad picked up a stake in Jet]. The case has dragged on for 2 to 3 years.

12. Indian investigative agencies are examining why bilateral rights to several Gulf countries were increased significantly during the Congress regime, when a minister from Nagpur was the aviation minister.

edealinfo

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:15 pm

>>>>"Spicejet applies for United Kingdom slots namely London (Heathrow) and Manchester using Airbus A330 aircraft. Note that Jet Airways has 4 available owned A330 aircraft that are up for grabs."

"Air India won’t fill up Jet Airways shoes in the London market
Also, Air India hasn’t applied for any new slots at London Heathrow for winter 2019 according to the initial report. They did secure 3x weekly additional slots in Summer 2019 but they gave it back.

Looks like they have no intentions of adding any new flights and instead let international carriers take advantage of the void created in this market due to the grounding of Jet Airways."

AIR INDIA is pathetic......they gave up coveted Heathrow slots which are so hard to come by! Are they nuts?!

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... anchester/

edealinfo

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:31 pm

IndiGo's position on London

1. They secured slots in Winter 2018 season for one-stop flights via Tbilisi but IndiGo returned their slots.
2. Thesecured slots at London Gatwick to operate one-stop flights via Baku in Summer 2019 but returned the slots.
3. They secured slots at London Stansted airport for Summer 2019 season. IndiGo had filed for operating flights from Delhi and Bengaluru on an A321neo. But, that flight was not started.

4. "For Winter 2019, IndiGo has once again secured slots at London Stansted airport. IndiGo has filed for flights from Delhi to London Stansted and have secured slots for 88 days of operation. So December 31, 2019? IndiGo seems to have lost their slots at London Gatwick for winter 2019."

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... anchester/

CaliguyNYC

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Edealinfo - to answer your #8 from above - India did not ask to negotiate the bilateral with the UAE by city, that is how the emirates wanted it. India has been pushing to have one bilateral for the UAE. India’s unused AUH seats would help Indian carriers start more DXB flights which would help Dubai tourism. But the UAE wont budge. So much for free trade. The UAE feel entitled to always have a better deal wrt Indian carriers. As far as Kunnur - I think it is fine if Indian carriers have an exclusive. Let them make some money (although something tells me the market is not super premium). Every time EK moves seats around, the seem to build up BOM/DEL/BLR.

edealinfo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:30 am

I hope this article doesn't stop the recent attempt to privatize 6 airports

https://www.thehindu.com/business/Indus ... 733682.ece

edealinfo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:31 am

Adani Group gets nod to build airport at Mundra

How large is Mundra as a city?

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ec ... 730677.ece

edealinfo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:33 am

GMR plans Rs 8.5k cr project to up Hyderabad airport capacity form 25 million to 50 million ..

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 414821.cms

edealinfo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 am

Calicut airport privatisation: daunting task awaits Ministry

State ‘no’ to lease of Thiruvananthapuram airport to Adanis
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ko ... 733496.ece

edealinfo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:03 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Edealinfo - to answer your #8 from above - India did not ask to negotiate the bilateral with the UAE by city, that is how the emirates wanted it. India has been pushing to have one bilateral for the UAE. India’s unused AUH seats would help Indian carriers start more DXB flights which would help Dubai tourism. But the UAE wont budge. So much for free trade. The UAE feel entitled to always have a better deal wrt Indian carriers. As far as Kunnur - I think it is fine if Indian carriers have an exclusive. Let them make some money (although something tells me the market is not super premium). Every time EK moves seats around, the seem to build up BOM/DEL/BLR.

Thanks for the response.

I certainly understand that AUH would object to India's request to allow for AUH rights to be used towards DXB under the EXISTING bilateral since that was not negotiated and is of zero benefit to AUH, specifically. Perhaps India can insist on it for a future bilateral. Having said that, I read on these forums previously that having separate flying rights to each of the emirates was India's idea......as an attempt to giving those emirates (states), that play ball with India better flying rights, than those that do not, since each of the emirates has its own unique relationship with India.

As for Kannur, the current chairman/president of the airport is the former chairman of Air India so he presumably knows how to lobby and pull political strings. Kannur is not financially viable in its current state. So, I suspect the combination of lobbying and political and other pressure, will create some opportunity. In Feb 2019, the Aviation Secretary, while denying Kannur's request for an exemption so that Gulf carriers could operate to Kannur, said that he would revisit the issue in 6 months. Kannu has also reduced its "demand". From previously asking for 2 daily flights from Gulf carriers they have reduced it to just 1. Personally, I think India should relent provided Indian carriers get the equivalent seat rights to the other countries of which they could utilize from any airport in India.

A single daily flight from the Gulf originating from Kuwait, Oman, Dubai, AUH, Sharjah, Muscat, and Qatar TO Kannur ain't going to to be so bad given that the Indian Government has blocked additional rights to all these countries. Blocked capacity between India and the Gulf for an extended period ain't such a great thing. That's why I feel that targeted exemptions might be helpful for the overall big picture of giving largely laborers an opportunity to return to India, allowing Kannur to become financially viable, and allowing some exemptions to an otherwise 100% blocked bilateral.

AirIndia

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:

This is also because bi-laterals predate the union of the 7 Emirates. Now unifying the bilterals from individual emirates to UAE should happen but its another diplomatic arrangement. UAE will not accept an offer that is biased towards India and vice-versa. BASAs are just another part of the larger inter-governmental relationship and India benefits a lot with UAE as a trading partner.

@Edealinfo - Yes the DXB-India bilaterals are capped by seat limits to each station for DXB based carriers and there is also a limit on the Port of calls. Indian carriers on the other hand can start services from any Indian airport to DXB.

The 2016 negotiations did not yield any result due to Indian carrier's demand of preferential slots in DXB which DXB said they could not offer as slots are managed by a third party. So the talks stalled.

zionite

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:17 am

edealinfo wrote:
Adani Group gets nod to build airport at Mundra

How large is Mundra as a city?

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ec ... 730677.ece

Mundra is not a city. It used to be village till some mega projects were built - majority by Adani Group

1. Mundra Port - India's largest private port - build, operated and owned by Adani Group
2. Mundra Thermal Power Plant - 4620 MW India's 2nd largest operational thermal power plant - build, operated and owned by Adani Group
3. Mundra Ultra Mega Power Plant - 4000 MW India's 3rd largest operational thermal power plant - build, operated and owned by Tata Group

Mundra, Bhuj and Gandhidham (Kandla) airports are and equidistant triangle of about 70 km apart.
Kandla Port is India's largest public port by volume of cargo handled.

edealinfo

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 pm

Thanks zionite and Air India for the information you have provided.

If Munda is not a City and there are 2 other airports just 70 km away, it makes me wonder as to the viability of a fully fledged airport at Munda . Are Adanis taking a “build it and they will come” approach on this project”?

bostrv

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:44 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Thanks zionite and Air India for the information you have provided.

If Munda is not a City and there are 2 other airports just 70 km away, it makes me wonder as to the viability of a fully fledged airport at Munda . Are Adanis taking a “build it and they will come” approach on this project”?

They are converting the private port airstrip to support airport operations.

edealinfo

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:45 am

Jet resumes maintenance of its 11 aircraft valued at 4,000 crores

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mumbaimirr ... 441934.cms

edealinfo

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:51 am

Hotel occupancy declines in Goa, Pune, Ahmedabad; High in Mumbai, Hyderabad

Guess who is the culprit?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zeebiz ... 106911/amp

edealinfo

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 am

About time.....

Delhi HC rejects plea to withdraw overseas permit to AirAsia India
AirAsia India could soon be flying into international skies with the Delhi High Court refusing a plea to stop the award of overseas permit to the budget carrier.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.financ ... 0059/lite/

CPS001

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 am

IndiGo enters Vietnam, adds Kolkata-Hanoi from October 3rd. This is the only India-Vietnam flight.

berari

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 pm

blrBird wrote:
TEMPO wrote:
Ethiopian: Addis Ababa to Bangalore 4 times a week on 737-800s from Oct 27th.

There’s something weird about the timing, though. It looks as though the plane will be sitting in Bangalore for 18 hours. I’d say that’s highly unlikely. An upcoming fifth freedom flight announcement, perhaps?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2019/

Out of left field.. cool! Didn't see this happening now, was thinking still few years later.

Been waiting for expansion into India for like forever!

Bhadra

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:06 am

IndiGo doubles down on its connectivity to Jeddah, introduces Kochi-Jeddah flight starting 16th of September.

9w748capt

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:20 am

CPS001 wrote:
IndiGo enters Vietnam, adds Kolkata-Hanoi from October 3rd. This is the only India-Vietnam flight.

Wow! What's the target market here? Would have expected SGN prior to HAN, so must be more government/diplomatic traffic they're targeting vs business/tourists.

unrave

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:43 am

9w748capt wrote:
CPS001 wrote:

Wow! What's the target market here? Would have expected SGN prior to HAN, so must be more government/diplomatic traffic they're targeting vs business/tourists.

My guess is SGN will be launched from DEL
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

9w748capt

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:12 am

unrave wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
CPS001 wrote:

Haha wouldn't DEL-HAN make more sense to connect the capitals?

unrave

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 am

9w748capt wrote:
unrave wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Haha wouldn't DEL-HAN make more sense to connect the capitals?

DEL-SGN is the largest India-Vietnam market. Makes sense to connect these with direct flights and use CCU as sort of hub for funnelling traffic from DEL/BOM to HAN
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Please continue discussion in Indian Aviation Thread - August 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1428231
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos