Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DDR

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q3 2019

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:53 pm

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industrials ... -ramp-2020

I don't think this is Boeing trying to influence the FAA or anyone else. I think this is Boeing just publicly admitting they they may have costs associated with suspending the line. They will eventually run out of places to park these planes. It may also be a way to let the parts suppliers know what might be coming in the future.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:01 am

I have heard that Boeing may shut down production of the 737 Max after massive losses and this could bring an end to the production of the 737 as a whole.

Pudelhund

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:05 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
I have heard that Boeing may shut down production of the 737 Max after massive losses and this could bring an end to the production of the 737 as a whole.

Who did you "hear" this from?

olle

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 am

Boeing can make politics with FAA. What they do not seems to understand is that FAA try to recover its international status and the last thing they need is to get known to take political pressure.

This comes as a special bad time with mr Trump and USA have special bad international trade relationship.

Obama administration could have talked nicely with countries and trade partners about the world but Trump has lost or destroyed much of the soft power.

SEU

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:05 am

seahawk wrote:
SEU wrote:
Its becoming more of a reality that the MAX may never fly again. The moment the accountants report to the big bosses at Boeing that their calculations show that shutting down the max and doing a brand new NSA is less $$$ than trying to get the MAX back flying, they will shut it down. I reckon the end of this year could be that break point.

We really need less drama, even in the worst case a strake or two on the engine cowling would fix the problem. Sure it would cost a fuel burn penalty, but it would fix the problem.

You havent been reading into the MAX issues have you? Its more than just the engines and the pitch up. Its training simulators, its autopilot failures etc. So much more has come out now.

klkla

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:57 am

Planetalk wrote:
If Boeing are really making these statements to put pressure on the authorities, and they probably are, they have learned absolutely nothing. Get these people out of the company.

As a public company Boeing has to make this statement. It's called disclosure.

Planetalk

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:15 am

klkla wrote:
Planetalk wrote:
If Boeing are really making these statements to put pressure on the authorities, and they probably are, they have learned absolutely nothing. Get these people out of the company.

It wasnt a statement, it was an executive speaking hypothetically, this was in no way an official statement to the market. It may be seen as warming the markets to the idea of a longer grounding though, which I think highly likely. Again, happy to be proven wrong. We've seen enough in the last few years to know Boeing has a somewhat loose interpretation of disclosure requirements.

LDRA

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 am

737 production line will not shutdown completely as there are military orders for P8 and potential conversion of MAX to 737NG orders. They might need to slow the rate again though

seahawk

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:14 am

SEU wrote:
seahawk wrote:
SEU wrote:
Its becoming more of a reality that the MAX may never fly again. The moment the accountants report to the big bosses at Boeing that their calculations show that shutting down the max and doing a brand new NSA is less $$$ than trying to get the MAX back flying, they will shut it down. I reckon the end of this year could be that break point.

We really need less drama, even in the worst case a strake or two on the engine cowling would fix the problem. Sure it would cost a fuel burn penalty, but it would fix the problem.

You havent been reading into the MAX issues have you? Its more than just the engines and the pitch up. Its training simulators, its autopilot failures etc. So much more has come out now.

If that would be reasons for a plane to never fly again, we would have never seen just one successful development program. The rest is a bit political pressure to get the FAA to consider the interests of the country and the shareholders.

N14AZ

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:37 am

DDR wrote:
They will eventually run out of places to park these planes.

Boeing already started to fly 737s to different airports for storage and I guess there are enough storage areas all over the USA. So I don‘t think that’s the main issue.

Would it be possible to start delivering 737s to US-American operators only once FAA has given its approval to the updates etc.? I could imagine that FAA will be the first authority to lift the grounding and let’s say the Chinese authority will be the last (happened for the A350 as well, even without crashes). That would help Boeing to start with the deliveries to Southwest, UA, at least.

rheinwaldner

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:56 am

max999 wrote:
Boeing's veiled threats are directed to Trump and to the members of Congress who have oversight over the FAA

If the grounding stretches into next year, I think Boeing will use strategic threats of job reductions to induce Trump to send angry tweets to the FAA and EASA.

All this only helps if all the problems will be solved. Boeing wont survive another MAX crash due to a half baked and rushed 2nd EIS.
Many things are difficult, all things are possible!

rheinwaldner

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:05 am

par13del wrote:
1. Decrease payments to suppliers, they have been squeezing them for years, so contract changes were probably done.

Could it be that Boeing is contractually bound to take these parts from the suppliers? So that a reduction is not possible? In that case the costs going to the suppliers can not be reduced.
Many things are difficult, all things are possible!

Asiaflyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 am

seahawk wrote:
SEU wrote:
seahawk wrote:

If that would be reasons for a plane to never fly again, we would have never seen just one successful development program. The rest is a bit political pressure to get the FAA to consider the interests of the country and the shareholders.

Pressure on FAA to consider the interest of the country and the shareholders?? Isn't that the behaviour that caused all this mess with crashes,lost lifes, criminal investigations, multi billion losses for Boeing etc?
Do you still think it is a solution? I doubt even Boeing (how corrupted they might be) is willing to go down that path again..

seahawk

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:37 am

Asiaflyer wrote:
seahawk wrote:
SEU wrote:

Pressure on FAA to consider the interest of the country and the shareholders?? Isn't that the behaviour that caused all this mess with crashes,lost lifes, criminal investigations, multi billion losses for Boeing etc?
Do you still think it is a solution? I doubt even Boeing (how corrupted they might be) is willing to go down that path again..

I would say the recent remarks from Boeing are already going down that path. aka "If the MAX does not fly in the Q4. bad things will happen...."

StTim

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:50 am

Moore Aerospace is arguing on Twitter that a grounding was not required, that it is a political act and that all that was required was an AD stopping CAT III landings.

https://twitter.com/mooreaerospace/stat ... 78720?s=12

Credible?

DenverTed

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:23 am

If they want to fill the line with an NG, or the 777 line with a 777F, what's the lead time? Isn't it a year or more, so the quickest they fill a hole in production is summer 2020?

StTim

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:28 am

I think there are very few NG frames left in the schedule. Sales would also be required.

N14AZ

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 am

StTim wrote:
Moore Aerospace is arguing on Twitter that a grounding was not required, that it is a political act and that all that was required was an AD stopping CAT III landings.

Credible?

What does CAT-III have to do with this?

Francoflier

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 am

DenverTed wrote:
If they want to fill the line with an NG, or the 777 line with a 777F, what's the lead time? Isn't it a year or more, so the quickest they fill a hole in production is summer 2020?

That would mostly depend on the suppliers I think, particularly CFM, who likely is already winding down the -7B production.

The NG is not the solution. The only viable solution is to fix the MAX and weather the storm somehow.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

CarbonFibre

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:58 am

Pudelhund wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49108807

flyingphil

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:59 am

I am thinking the entire Boeing management needs a clear out.. do Engineers make good Managers ?

It will come down to economics.. Boeing has deep pockets, but is still borrowing money. The shareholders must be getting nervous.

Is it economically viable to fix the 737MAX? Will the fix add weight? Reduce performance? Restrict the routes the 737MAX can operate?

Meanwhile more delays on the 777X and the USAF withholding payment on the KC-46.

https://www.defenseone.com/business/201 ... es/158673/

Ugly51

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:04 am

This will be a nightmare for Boeing if they have to cut or stop production to next year. This could take the 737 Max costs into the same price range as development for a new NMA.

All to compete with the A320neo family? Very poor forward planning by Boeing.

BlueSky1976

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:22 am

StTim wrote:

Credible?

It's probably one of Boeing - paid troll accounts, similar to those on a.net
The queen of the skies is dead.

Pudelhund

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Nothing in the article supports the second part of your assertion whatsoever.

seb76

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:44 am

StTim wrote:

Credible?

No, it's not credible? You cannot increase the security of a plane model by just prohibiting it to perform landings in low visibility conditions when all accidents occured in fact during the initial climb in clear weather.

InsideMan

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:52 am

StTim wrote:

Credible?

yeah, because the landing was the problem :roll:

Asiaflyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 am

Southwest has now extended the 737MAX grounding into Jan 2020. Being one of the major MAX operators, I assume they have latest information from Boeing and we can expect other airline to do the same.

Snapshot from Reuters:
25-Jul-2019 12:45:09 - SOUTHWEST AIRLINES CO - TO PROACTIVELY EXTEND MAX-RELATED FLIGHT SCHEDULE ADJUSTMENTS THROUGH JAN 5, 2020

PixelFlight

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 am

About https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49108807
ArchGuy1 wrote:
I have heard that Boeing may shut down production of the 737 Max after massive losses and this could bring an end to the production of the 737 as a whole

Pudelhund wrote:
Nothing in the article supports the second part of your assertion whatsoever.

The article say:
However, Boeing boss Dennis Muilenburg is confident the plane will be back in the air by October.

"As our efforts to support the 737 Max's safe return to service continue, we will continue to assess our production plans," Mr Muilenburg told investors in a conference call.

"Should our estimate of the anticipated return to service change, we might need to consider possible further rate reductions or other options, including a temporary shutdown of the Max production."

The wording are not the same: "end ... as a whole" vs "temporary shutdown".

Anyway, the other information in the article is that Boeing boss is confident for October. I am wondering if a such confidence includes what will be in the JT610 report expected for the end of October. Could be a risky time to release the 737-8/9 grounding if Boeing did not address all the expected report recommendation list.
:stirthepot: 737-8 MAX: "For all speeds higher than 220 Kts and trim set at a value of 2.5 units, the difficulity level of turning the manual trim wheel was level A (trim wheel not movable)." :stirthepot:

Revelation

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

The article quoted Boeing's CEO as saying:

"Should our estimate of the anticipated return to service change, we might need to consider possible further rate reductions or other options, including a temporary shutdown of the Max production."

Then the article used far more definitive terms such as "stop" and "halt" without using qualification words such as "temporary".

The media uses such word choices to sex up the article to generate clicks, and it's damn effective.

So effective that the source material describing a possible "temporary shutdown of the Max production" ended up leaving the much more dramatic impression "this could bring an end to the production of the 737 as a whole" without ever saying that.

The article also says "Boeing boss Dennis Muilenburg is confident the plane will be back in the air by October" but that's old news and doesn't trigger people so the article moves on to greatly expand on the more dramatic stuff.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 am

DenverTed wrote:

No one really knows.

Boeing has planned all along to produce 777F and 777X side by side, thus their supply chain has kept the ability to produce most of the needed parts online, albeit at a low rate.

Boeing has planned all along to produce P8 Poseidon (militarized 737-800) and MAX side by side, thus their supply chain has kept the ability to produce most of the needed parts online, albeit at a low rate.

I would suggest a year is a good first level approximation for a rate increase, but that increase would not be enough to replace MAX or 777X, nor would the customers agree to take 738 or 77W instead of what they have on order.

I also recall that some items such as landing gear and engine cases require more than a year's lead so you'd have to hope the spare parts network had a few available (not sure it would) else wait even longer.

Bottom line is as written earlier: MAX and 777X are plans A, B, C, ... Z.

All other plans lead to far worse situations than just getting MAX and 777X out the door and taking the hits needed to do so.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

jomur

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:46 am

StTim wrote:

Credible?

Considering one crashed shortly after taking off... not whilst trying to land...

Vladex

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:58 am

I went back on Leeham website around 2011 and there was a lot of discussion like I am sure it was here about the engine fan diameter , from 66" to 71" with 66 being secure but inefficient and 71 being efficient but troublesome , They settled on 69" but would 66 really make a difference for stability at least?
Does 737 MAX prove the inherent problem of twin jet ground clearance and the inevitable development of quad jets due to their wing design and ground clearance?

StTim

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm

jomur wrote:
StTim wrote:

Credible?

Considering one crashed shortly after taking off... not whilst trying to land...

I must admit that I was struggling to see what CAT-III had to do with the two crashes and thus the grounding.

According to his twitter info this is his background.

Aerospace Development, Service & Consulting
Boeing, Gulfstream, Military aircraft expertise

Governmental Affairs

seb76

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm

Vladex wrote:
Does 737 MAX prove the inherent problem of twin jet ground clearance and the inevitable development of quad jets due to their wing design and ground clearance?

This won't be a problem. It's just a matter of making the legs of the landing gear long enough and a bay that can accomodate it when the gear is up.
It's obvious when you see a 737 parked between an A320 and a B757 that they don't have the same potential for receiving a large engine. A large engine can easily be done on a twin, just not with the venerable fuselage of a 737 and it's bay that was designed to accomodate a small landing gear. Redesigning all this would need recertification, and in that case, iet's much better option to start from a clean sheet.

Planetalk

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:09 pm

MrBren wrote:

And here we go. Hardly a surprise, it's looked fairly inevitable. One thing forgotten is even if the fix whizzed through the regulators, and I think we can be pretty sure it won't be (if Boeing had any said they'd realise the regulators taking their time is going to help this plane in the long run, not least for public reassurance), the planes still all have to go through test flights, be delivered etc. And airlines have to put their schedules together now. Getting approval at end of November is no use for the peak winter schedule as airlines will already have had to plan without it.

A few people starting to sweat at Boeing one would think.

keesje

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:48 pm

I think Boeing needs to start thinking (behind closed doors) about a plan B.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1415977&p=21536649#p21536455
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

flyingphil

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:04 pm

keesje wrote:
I think Boeing needs to start thinking (behind closed doors) about a plan B.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1415977&p=21536649#p21536455

I hope someone is putting options on the table for the Boeing CEO.. even if they are pretty drastic..
# Accelerate a 737 replacement.. let 737MAX customers trade in and upgrade when available
# Reopen the 737NG line
# Develop a 737 replacement with Embraer
# Joint venture with COMAC .. the C-919 is already flying.. a bit far fetched.. but desperate times means desperate measures.

Putting your fingers in your ears and hoping it WILL fly again won’t cut it for much longer..

Unless anyone has any better ideas.. would be interested to hear them.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm

klkla wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

BBC story is supportive and consistent with this being a public disclosure. All stockholders and stakeholders will have taken notice.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Last three ideas are non-starters.

GF

JetBuddy

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Planetalk wrote:
MrBren wrote:

And here we go. Hardly a surprise, it's looked fairly inevitable. One thing forgotten is even if the fix whizzed through the regulators, and I think we can be pretty sure it won't be (if Boeing had any said they'd realise the regulators taking their time is going to help this plane in the long run, not least for public reassurance), the planes still all have to go through test flights, be delivered etc. And airlines have to put their schedules together now. Getting approval at end of November is no use for the peak winter schedule as airlines will already have had to plan without it.

A few people starting to sweat at Boeing one would think.

Another article in the Seattle Times on this issue. Basically Southwest expects the Q4 deadline to be kept, but they believe it could take 2 months to return the aircraft to service after FAA recertification. This is contrary to what certain very "optimistic" users of this forum has stated.

"Boeing has said that it expects regulators will return the Max to service in the fourth quarter. Southwest said it accepted that estimate but that it would take as much as two months to get aircraft out of mothballs and to comply with any changes ordered by authorities, such as pilot training."

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... l-january/

sassiciai

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:23 pm

The last last idea [Putting your fingers in your ears and hoping it WILL fly again ..] seems to be working quite well in Chicago at the moment!

Exeiowa

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:34 pm

The problem was the landing, it happened at the wrong time and location, un-commanded and too fast....

But that will not fix the problem.

This just is not getting better, just dragging on, they screwed up more than I thought they did.

Spetsnaz55

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:40 pm

sassiciai wrote:
The last last idea [Putting your fingers in your ears and hoping it WILL fly again ..] seems to be working quite well in Chicago at the moment!

Ok how do you know what is working well in Chicago right now?

IWMBH

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:41 pm

StTim wrote:
I think there are very few NG frames left in the schedule. Sales would also be required.

I think the last one is the KLM order, but they messed up and that one is delayed till December.

JerseyFlyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:50 pm

flyingphil wrote:
# Accelerate a 737 replacement.. let 737MAX customers trade in and upgrade when available

I wonder if IAG have just signed a LoI for 200 x NSA at MAX firesale prices?

Dieuwer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Cdydatzigs

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm

PixelFlight wrote:
scbriml wrote:
With the backlog it’s got, there’s no way Boeing can just shrug their shoulders and not get TPFKAM* back in the air.
*The Plane Formerly Known As MAX. :wink2:

In all officials documents this is the 737-8/9

Honestly? I thought this plane was going to be called the 737-8, -9 and -10 from the beginning, like the 787. I guess "MAX" is such a distinct term (like Dreamliner) that it has stuck, especially with the press.

bob75013

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:14 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

"this could bring an end to the production of the 737 as a whole." ?????

In fact this is what Boeing said (in that linked article:

" However, Boeing boss Dennis Muilenburg is confident the plane will be back in the air by October.

"As our efforts to support the 737 Max's safe return to service continue, we will continue to assess our production plans," Mr Muilenburg told investors in a conference call.

Theseus

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 pm

flyingphil wrote:
# Joint venture with COMAC .. the C-919 is already flying.. a bit far fetched.. but desperate times means desperate measures.

How ironic would that be. A US company teaming up with China's aircraft corporation, with the current, not exactly great, political situation between China and the US about the tariffs and such. It would require a lot of help from Trump. :box: :duck:

More seriously, whatever they choose to do after the 737, I do not see how Boeing could avoid fixing the MAX, even if that takes a lot of time and of resources.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos