TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation July 2019

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Hello there TK aviation fans and TK 787 fans :)
Finally the lady of the house is here.

AFAIK, the first flight is IST-AYT on July 8th and a.net member gokmengs will be on it.
I will be on it first week of next month; IAD-IST. I am sure by then we will have tons of youtube reviews of the C class, Sam Chui and what not.

On other news:
-YVR-IST 3 weekly flights proposed by Canadian CAA to THY and it is up to THY to accept it or not and AC to reinstate IST?
-With 789s arriving, TK to start Bali this month; 3 x W to go up to daily. This was announced 7/2018.

And on a personal note; today I just completed a EWR-MUC-SAW, DLM-IST-FRA-EWR trip on C.
The reason is PRICE.
This whole itinerary was $2600, compared to TK which would have been around $7000.

Here is a recap:
EWR-MUC on UA 767-400ER Polaris. The Polaris lounge at EWR is the second largest in the US. I tried their sit down-order a la carte restaurant and it was mediocre. Food is not good, small portions, forced service. There is also a buffet with more selections. Bar was nice on the other hand, to have a bartender to fix you a drink and have small talk. Bathrooms were also nice and the whole place was not crowded even though there was a disabled 757 on the runway which brought things to stand still for a few hours. Because of this, I missed my connection in MUC.
The 767 was close to 20 yrs old. The Polaris class is 2-1-2 and I got the middle single seat. It is good when sitting and reclining, but not for me when fully flat. There is not enough room for my feet and this makes sleeping almost impossible. Also most of the plugs and storage is at the back of the seat and hard to reach. Food is average, wines were average, service was great on board. Since there are no forward lavs, pilots have to walk all the way past the pax to use the lavs between C and Y.

MUC, for me was a disaster. This is my only second time transferring at a German airport and first time in MUC. To me, everything was backwards, could not make sense of anything. Had to ask everything twice even though most people speak perfect English, I speak some German and there were tons of Turkish immigrant workers at the airport. As if I never travelled in my life, just terrible 2 hours at MUC. The LH lounge staff at Terminal 1 were helpful to rebook me on a flight to SAW, but the lounge was very crowded with limited offerings.

Things were immediately better as soon as I stepped into the 18 year old TK 737. Service, food were great, even though 3-3 C class with the middle seat empty is below par.

SAW was awesome. This is my first international arrival at SAW and 5pm on a weekend there were no lines at Passport control, baggage claim. I really liked this. Took the HAVAS bus home. This portion of the trip was 22 hours door to door, not good.

Here comes the return;
It is the awesomest sight to see a TK 77W at DLM. 8 year old “Ankara” is taking us to IST tonight. 29C 228Y on board. Very smooth flight to IST after sunset. We landed on 35R and it was a short 8 minute taxi to gate A2. Off to Business Class bus to Domestic Piers, which took 4 minutes. From there, to check in for my flight at 10pm for next morning and getting my boarding passes and all the way to the other end of the terminal by Gate 7 to YOTEL, and getting to my room took a total of 25 minutes. My flight to FRA leaves 7:55am and instead of going home after my DLM flight and getting up early to go to IST, I decided to stay at the airport hotel, YOTEL. 133 euros for their basic room was reasonable. The rooms are clean, odor free, adequate but a bit on the small side. I would recommend to get one of the bigger rooms if traveling other than solo. It was just fine for me to get a good sleep and get up and go to the TK lounge in a few minutes. What a treat to wake up at an airport before a flight and not to deal with anything.

5 year old TC-JOM took me to FRA. One of the frames leased from Afrigiah for 8 years. 16 to runway 34L it took 16 minutes. We took the U taxiway. But another 330 behind us just crossed the runway and ended up in front of us. So, they are still working it out.
The plane was not in good shape; broken reading light, gum stuck to the inside of the belt buckle, bathroom fixtures loose. But the service and the food was great as usual. IFE is terrible, moving map moves but there is not route/plane on it. Basically , you are looking at a European map and the controls were awkward. Next to the forward lav, there was a sleeping couch for the pilots. Usually I see a Business Class seat type thing, but this one was nicer I thought. FRA looks aged, slow, backwards… I can totally see now why new Berlin Airport is taking years to open.

My first time on LH and on a 747-8i was today. D-ABYJ “Hanover”, 6.1 yrs old bird, took me over the Atlantic to EWR. I wanted to try the upstairs Business section. It was a full flight, from Z52 Gate to runway 25 it only took 9 minutes. 3 FA’s served us 32 pax on the upper level in a single aisle. Everything was smooth, no lines in front of the lavs, no moving carts to let pax go by, it was a well organized dance. Seats were very nice, and the meals… probably the best meals I’ve had in the air. Well done LH. But if traveling alone I would recommend flying in the love Business section middle row, so you can get aisle access.

Enough of my rambelling, I need to go enjoy my jetlag now.
Please continue with your news, views, photos, rumors and good old sense of humor. And keep these threads free of personal attacks or political innuendos. Welcome everyone.

You can find last months thread here: Turkish Aviation June 2019

TK787
Topic Author

Re: Turkish Aviation July 2019

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:42 pm

It is a shame about the 787 window mishap. I hope it doesn't mess up the scheduling :(

gokmengs

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 am

TK787 wrote:
It is a shame about the 787 window mishap. I hope it doesn't mess up the scheduling :(

I can’t believe they messed it up, I don’t know how to follow the equipment updates far out but if someone from the board could update me I would really appreciate it. :(
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

qf789

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 am

Here are a few photos of the damage to the window on TC-LLA

https://twitter.com/AeronewsRO/status/1 ... 84930?s=20
Forum Moderator

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:25 am

Read from the cinematographer that was on the shoot. To light the 14 Business class windows from outside, he used 4 x 12Kw Dino Lights 20 feet away from the aircraft. Dino lights are 12 x 1kw lights bunched together, usually to mimic the rays of the sun. They filmed till lunch and that is when they found about the damaged windows. That's when they stopped. His question is very valid, why only 2 windows are damaged, while all 14 windows were lit with the same set of light source?
Last edited by TK787 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 am

gokmengs wrote:
TK787 wrote:

I can’t believe they messed it up, I don’t know how to follow the equipment updates far out but if someone from the board could update me I would really appreciate it. :(

You can see the progress of each TK787 frame here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dit#gid=19

gokmengs

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 am

TK787 wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
TK787 wrote:

You can see the progress of each TK787 frame here:

I meant as far as my AYT flight, When will I know if the equipment will be 787 for sure? Doubtful with this window damage now

As far as the info from the cinematographer. Thanks for sharing I think his question is valid maybe the window had a defect?

mafaky

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:48 pm

gokmengs wrote:
I meant as far as my AYT flight, When will I know if the equipment will be 787 for sure? Doubtful with this window damage now

As far as the info from the cinematographer. Thanks for sharing I think his question is valid maybe the window had a defect?

Assuming that window mishap will be rectified by 8th July, the first flight's destination has now been changed from AYT to TZX. Better that you try to investigate about the recent update.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

gokmengs

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:58 pm

mafaky wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

Assuming that window mishap will be rectified by 8th July, the first flight's destination has now been changed from AYT to TZX. Better that you try to investigate about the recent update.

Thanks as always, I wasn't aiming to be on the first flight but rather on one of the AYT rotations, I will try to see if they keep the schedule as is.

OA260

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:36 pm

TK787 wrote:

Certainly is but looks like they will be able to get it sorted before the 8th July according to latest updates.

Yakamoz

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Inaugural postponed to July 9 according to airlineroute. Highly likely it will be postponed more.
Last edited by Yakamoz on Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qf789

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:51 pm

TC-LLB is currently in the air on another test flight and now has been marked ready for delivery

TC-LLC is currently in the paint shop at PAE
TC-LLD rolled out of final assembly about a week ago
TC-LLE parts currently arriving at PAE, will be loaded for final assembly in a week's time
TC-LLF parts currently arriving at PAE, probably enter final assembly towards the end of next week

TC-LLG being the next will start final assembly around November
Forum Moderator

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:52 pm

qf789 wrote:
TC-LLB is currently in the air on another test flight and now has been marked ready for delivery

TC-LLE parts currently arriving at PAE, will be loaded for final assembly in a week's time
TC-LLF parts currently arriving at PAE, probably enter final assembly towards the end of next week

Thanks for the update.
Let's see if everything will go as scheduled and first INT flight to Bali on July17th goes as planned, the flight is sold out.

MeCe

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:32 pm

TK787 wrote:
Read from the cinematographer that was on the shoot. To light the 14 Business class windows from outside, he used 4 x 12Kw Dino Lights 20 feet away from the aircraft. Dino lights are 12 x 1kw lights bunched together, usually to mimic the rays of the sun. They filmed till lunch and that is when they found about the damaged windows. That's when they stopped. His question is very valid, why only 2 windows are damaged, while all 14 windows were lit with the same set of light source?

I think it is a dodging question trying to say nothing wrong with my lights, your plane is broken :D

But no worries, repair costs will be covered by boeing :)

TKA380

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:19 am

Flew through IST the other week and apparently IGA Lounge may be taking Priority Pass very soon (maybe more as I am actually using Lounge Club, unsure though).

Hope it's true, maybe useful for some other travellers too.

Blerg

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:26 am

So is the new airport called Ataturk or not? I flew twice and both times the crew didn't say 'Welcome to Istanbul Ataturk airport...' but rather just said 'Welcome to Istanbul airport...'.

mafaky

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 am

Blerg wrote:
So is the new airport called Ataturk or not? I flew twice and both times the crew didn't say 'Welcome to Istanbul Ataturk airport...' but rather just said 'Welcome to Istanbul airport...'.

Official name is ISTANBUL AIRPORT.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mict

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:42 am

TK787 wrote:
Here is a recap:
EWR-MUC on UA 767-400ER Polaris. The Polaris lounge at EWR is the second largest in the US. I tried their sit down-order a la carte restaurant and it was mediocre. Food is not good, small portions, forced service. There is also a buffet with more selections. Bar was nice on the other hand, to have a bartender to fix you a drink and have small talk. Bathrooms were also nice and the whole place was not crowded even though there was a disabled 757 on the runway which brought things to stand still for a few hours. Because of this, I missed my connection in MUC.
The 767 was close to 20 yrs old. The Polaris class is 2-1-2 and I got the middle single seat. It is good when sitting and reclining, but not for me when fully flat. There is not enough room for my feet and this makes sleeping almost impossible. Also most of the plugs and storage is at the back of the seat and hard to reach. Food is average, wines were average, service was great on board. Since there are no forward lavs, pilots have to walk all the way past the pax to use the lavs between C and Y.

MUC, for me was a disaster. This is my only second time transferring at a German airport and first time in MUC. To me, everything was backwards, could not make sense of anything. Had to ask everything twice even though most people speak perfect English, I speak some German and there were tons of Turkish immigrant workers at the airport. As if I never travelled in my life, just terrible 2 hours at MUC. The LH lounge staff at Terminal 1 were helpful to rebook me on a flight to SAW, but the lounge was very crowded with limited offerings.

Things were immediately better as soon as I stepped into the 18 year old TK 737. Service, food were great, even though 3-3 C class with the middle seat empty is below par.

SAW was awesome. This is my first international arrival at SAW and 5pm on a weekend there were no lines at Passport control, baggage claim. I really liked this. Took the HAVAS bus home. This portion of the trip was 22 hours door to door, not good.

My first time on LH and on a 747-8i was today. D-ABYJ “Hanover”, 6.1 yrs old bird, took me over the Atlantic to EWR. I wanted to try the upstairs Business section. It was a full flight, from Z52 Gate to runway 25 it only took 9 minutes. 3 FA’s served us 32 pax on the upper level in a single aisle. Everything was smooth, no lines in front of the lavs, no moving carts to let pax go by, it was a well organized dance. Seats were very nice, and the meals… probably the best meals I’ve had in the air. Well done LH. But if traveling alone I would recommend flying in the love Business section middle row, so you can get aisle access.

Two things surprise me here:
-The fact that you didn't like MUC, I think it's the best airpot to transit in in Europe. And I am certainly not the only one, MUC is very praised overall. Maybe you were unlucky on your trip, you should give it another try!
-Best meal in the sky on LH? Your luck probably turned after your MUC experience :P I find LH J meal to be bland and just ok, TK is miles ahead here. Even their subsidiaries LX and OS are much better I think. (And even the 1 time I tried LH F, I thought the main course was underwhelming compared to TK but I can't come to conclusions with only 1 flight sample in F).

Going to ADB from LAX via MUC tomorrow in LH F then XQ Y, let's see if I maintain my opinion on LH food :airplane:

stylo777

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:02 am

mict wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Here is a recap:

-The fact that you didn't like MUC, I think it's the best airpot to transit in in Europe. And I am certainly not the only one, MUC is very praised overall. Maybe you were unlucky on your trip, you should give it another try!
-Best meal in the sky on LH? Your luck probably turned after your MUC experience :P I find LH J meal to be bland and just ok, TK is miles ahead here. Even their subsidiaries LX and OS are much better I think. (And even the 1 time I tried LH F, I thought the main course was underwhelming compared to TK but I can't come to conclusions with only 1 flight sample in F).

Going to ADB from LAX via MUC tomorrow in LH F then XQ Y, let's see if I maintain my opinion on LH food :airplane:

agree! MUC is probably the most efficient and beautiful airport in Europe, BUT if you stay within Terminal 2 (in my opinion).
he continued with TK to SAW. all TK flights leave from T1, the rather oldish and crowded part of MUC.

LH meals are certainly not bad and LSG is doing a lot to keep the quality up. It's surely not the same as TK Do&Co, but it usually serves the purpose of a good quality meal in the air without all the fancy stuff coming along.
Interesting fact: I learned that LX is catered by GateGourmet and OS by Do&Co. LH Group airlines do have most of the things in common and use synergies, but for some reasons this is not an area they collaborate. Enjoy your trip on the 380 in F!

mict

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:47 am

stylo777 wrote:
mict wrote:

agree! MUC is probably the most efficient and beautiful airport in Europe, BUT if you stay within Terminal 2 (in my opinion).
he continued with TK to SAW. all TK flights leave from T1, the rather oldish and crowded part of MUC.

LH meals are certainly not bad and LSG is doing a lot to keep the quality up. It's surely not the same as TK Do&Co, but it usually serves the purpose of a good quality meal in the air without all the fancy stuff coming along.
Interesting fact: I learned that LX is catered by GateGourmet and OS by Do&Co. LH Group airlines do have most of the things in common and use synergies, but for some reasons this is not an area they collaborate. Enjoy your trip on the 380 in F!

Ah good catch, I forgot about MUC T1 :D Too bad they don't let all *A partners use T2...
It's also a shame LH transferred their MUC-ADB rotation to XQ, it was the only enjoyable way to get to ADB from BRU or the US for me... Now I have to choose my poison, XQ or the IST/SAW transfer on TK... Love TK but intl-dom connections are just a pain.

And yes I agree, the LH meals are not bad but just not something I look especially forward to when I book a flight with them. At least they are consistent and you know what to expect I guess.

stylo777

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:10 am

AFAIK TK moved out of T2 last year or the one before. They are the only Star carrier in T1; all the others (SQ UA AC TG NH OU A3...) are in T2.

They still fly the route, but on a much shorter period and only for about two months during summer.

gokmengs

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 am

Yakamoz wrote:
Inaugural postponed to July 9 according to airlineroute. Highly likely it will be postponed more.

Thanks for the update let me change my ticket. Appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gokmengs

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:29 am

Mystic wrote:
A 737 Pilot made a video on his youtube channel explaining the long taxi time on the new airport compared to Ataturk.
- The new airport is bigger so its natural that the taxi ways are longer.
- Ataturk was so congested that they sometimes would wait 1 hour on the runway to depart.
- Ataturk had a serious incoming air-traffic leading to delays and more gas consumption.
Basically Ataturk wasn't much better than the current situation at IST. People just like to complain about anything.

Had to respond to this one so I copied your post from the June thread. I think you can pretty much get an idea of a posters knowledge/mindset after reading a few of his/her posts, I dont’t know how I managed to convey the image that I’m one of the people “that like to complain about anything”, but let me explain my gripe about the taxi time issue, many knowledgeable mentioned the lack of high speed exits for one or both of the runways, also few pilots mentioned the inefficient layout of the airport, I do like the new non cramped mega airport but I would like it to be successful and efficient and I can assure you this is not the first time I’ve been at a mega airport and flew from most of them multiple times and the taxi time comparison is way off. I was just bringing up an issue thats bothering a lot of people and wondering if there was a solution that they can offer thats all. Mind you I’ve also said if this it we’ll have to just learn to live with it. This is not a rant so hope you don’t take my post the wrong way, just an explanation and re-asking if there could be improvements to improve the taxi times at the New Ataturk Airport as I like to call it :)

Mystic

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:18 am

gokmengs wrote:
Mystic wrote:
A 737 Pilot made a video on his youtube channel explaining the long taxi time on the new airport compared to Ataturk.
- Ataturk was so congested that they sometimes would wait 1 hour on the runway to depart.
- Ataturk had a serious incoming air-traffic leading to delays and more gas consumption.
Basically Ataturk wasn't much better than the current situation at IST. People just like to complain about anything.

Had to respond to this one so I copied your post from the June thread. I think you can pretty much get an idea of a posters knowledge/mindset after reading a few of his/her posts, I dont’t know how I managed to convey the image that I’m one of the people “that like to complain about anything”, but let me explain my gripe about the taxi time issue, many knowledgeable mentioned the lack of high speed exits for one or both of the runways, also few pilots mentioned the inefficient layout of the airport, I do like the new non cramped mega airport but I would like it to be successful and efficient and I can assure you this is not the first time I’ve been at a mega airport and flew from most of them multiple times and the taxi time comparison is way off. I was just bringing up an issue thats bothering a lot of people and wondering if there was a solution that they can offer thats all. Mind you I’ve also said if this it we’ll have to just learn to live with it. This is not a rant so hope you don’t take my post the wrong way, just an explanation and re-asking if there could be improvements to improve the taxi times at the New Ataturk Airport as I like to call it :)

I was not talking about you personally. I respect your opinion and findings. I was refering to the people outside of the aviation industry who are still bashing the new airport to this day for various reasons.
Former HeyTK

gokmengs

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:33 am

Mystic wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
Mystic wrote:

I was not talking about you personally. I respect your opinion and findings. I was refering to the people outside of the aviation industry who are still bashing the new airport to this day for various reasons.

No offense taken, but let me play the devils advocate. How botched was this airport opening most of it half assed, not ready being operated by a construction company that doesn't know how to run a airport (which is ok) and didn't bther to hire people that know airport management up until last month after coming to a dead end. For istanbul you get a chance to start a clean sheet airport with government backing maybe once in our lifetimes and I feel the execution should have been better thats all. Yes some people complain for no reason, but most of the complaints I've heard are warranted IMO. I feel there should have been a people mover in the terminal to connect main gate areas, my mom is not old but she has a knee condition I got her the IGA pass just so she can use the buggy service its very hard to find one, and its only good for departures. For arrivals one has to have the most expensive version of the card (799 Euros) to use it for arrivals. Now this has been told to her by an IGA employee, but i don't believe its true so I'm researching it.
The new airport is helping SAW a lot, who would have thought an airport so out of the way would be considered "city airport"
I live in Kurucesme and I love getting to the new airport distance wise its far but the new roads are always empty I can get there in 30 minutes at all times. The perception of this airport will be hard to change if IGA doesn't get its act together soon.

OA260

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 am

TKA380 wrote:
Flew through IST the other week and apparently IGA Lounge may be taking Priority Pass very soon (maybe more as I am actually using Lounge Club, unsure though).

Hope it's true, maybe useful for some other travellers too.

Im sure it will be very welcome as its madness there is no Priority Pass lounge facility at such a large International Airport.

qf789

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 am

Singapore Airlines will replace 772 with A359 from 1 Dec 19

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 19936?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am

Not sure if this is new or old information but TK will operate 789 on IST-AMS 26 Jul - 21 Aug 19, up to 2 daily

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-3q19/
Forum Moderator

OA260

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 am

qf789 wrote:
Not sure if this is new or old information but TK will operate 789 on IST-AMS 26 Jul - 21 Aug 19, up to 2 daily

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-3q19/

Saw this looked at availability up until the 6/8 flights are very full or they are not releasing all fare buckets. No Star redemptions seem possible either although there are on 7/8. Nice option for those that are looking to try the new aircraft.

qf789

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am

TK787 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Thanks for the update.
Let's see if everything will go as scheduled and first INT flight to Bali on July17th goes as planned, the flight is sold out.

Here is TC-LLB from its test flight yesterday

Also just an update on a couple of frames

TC-LLE due for loading for final assembly on 9 Jul 19
TC-LLF due for loading for final assemble on 12 Jul 19

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/11 ... 55488?s=20
Forum Moderator

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:58 am

Hi again, jetlag is lot better this morning :)
-About MUC, UA landed at T2 and there was no one at the gate to help me to rebook. I found a LH lounge and first they offered a LH flight MUC-FRA-IST leaving in an hour, then when I asked for a nonstop, they booked me on a MUC-SAW. I made sure they wrote it down how to get to Terminal 1 and make this easy transfer. I have flown a total of 42 airlines to 27 countries and used 110 airports and I was about to start screaming at MUC.
The written note said go near gate 18, take the elevator down and take a bus to Terminal 1. The "Terminal 1" sign is about the size of a street sign, tiny... good thing I was looking for Gate 18. I was the only one going down on that elevator, again no good signage. When out of the elevator thanks to two other Americans, I was able to figure out getting on the bus. When out of the elevater there should be a sing: "For Terminal One, wait here inside this glass walled hallway until a bus outside shows up, the driver will open the door from outside and let you on the bus". Without that and only two other people waiting I had no idea what to do. Where is the bus, how come the doors are not opening to the outside bus-stop, when is the bus coming? Am I at the right place??
Bus comes, the driver opens the door from outside, we get on, short hop to Terminal one, we get off and I am by the gates/secured area. I find the gate, no one from TK there, no TK desk to issue me a boarding pass. I need to do this, so my bags make it to SAW with me. Also no Star Lounges at this Terminal.
I am trying to find the EXIT, so I can go find the TK ticket/check-in counter, to get a seat and boarding pass.
I find an EXIT sign, it looks like an employee room door !!! There are some light fixtures by it, signalling me if I try to open an alarm might go off. I ask few officers, they tell me to go to the EXIT sing, I am still looking for a sliding glass door to Baggage Claim/EXIT. I end up upstairs at passport control, downstairs at some bathrooms.
Finally, I go to that door, I tried to open, it is locked. I asked again, someone said go there it is EXIT. They should have said: : "That is EXIT, you just go stand there, someone from the other side will unlock it remotely". Eventuall, it opened, I go through passport control, find the TK counter, it is very crowded. There were 7 people in front of me on the Business Class checkin. We all wait for "2 hours before flight" for check in to start. Finally TK crew show up, it takes the checkin clerk 11 minutes to check in the first couple. Incredible!!! no urgency what so ever. The four other people in front of me are older Turkish people, when it is their turn, it becomes obvious that they are flying Y and they are in the wrong line. They beg and get checked in front of me. While this is happening someone brings an older woman with a wheelchair and wants to check-in in front of me. Finally my turn, I get a seat and a boarding pass. TK staff tells me when I go to the gate, check with the Gate staff that my bags are on the plane and when going through security line, go to the front since I am flying J.
I go to the security line, there is someone manning the line and he is not letting anyone in. I asked in Turkish, "I was told to go to the front".... He says, "no problem".... he personally escorts me to the front of the line, with everyone else in line giving me bad looks.
Then I was given the whole pat down at security check... "How come you have tiny liquids in your carry on?", "How come they are not inside a ziplock bag?"
So, you get the point.. I am going to stop here.
Maybe people like to transfer at MUC Terminal 2. But Terminal 1 is not like Terminal 2 and no lounges. I did not like FRA either. Even though I liked LH, probably I will avoid Germany in my future flights.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:11 am

Also about the food on LH:
The upstairs C class was full with 32 pax and we were served with 3 FA's.
Never during the flight there was a line in front of the lavs, never the FA's had to move out of the way with their carts to let pax use the bathroom. It was a well understood dance on this single aisle upstairs.
I tend to compare this to TK C class, with twin aisle and usually 4-5 FA's serving about the same number of pax. TK serving with carts, always blocking the way to the lavs even with twin aisles. LH uses smaller carts and trays and does it very efficiently, and serving only from the back galley and a middle drinks counter.
-Welcome drinks, hot towels, nuts, choice of 3 appetizers and a drink to go with it, also asking for sparkling or still water, choice of 3 main courses, bread service, again asking for drink refills, cheese/dessert/coffee/digestive service and a Mozart Kugeln chocolate at the end.... All this is done by 2:30 hours after takeoff. Not rushing and attentive. I really like the smoked salmon appetizer, white asparagus with the veal and the quality of the wines. Well done LH.

mafaky

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Yakamoz wrote:

Is this information/rumor still valid?

I actually tried to locate it at AirlineRoute (RoutesOnLine) yesterday, but couldn't.

BTW, I am referring to the inagural flight of TK's first 789 Dreamliner to Trabzon (TZX), not to Antalya (AYT). We know that the AYT flight with the 789 has been postponed to the 9th and the flight to TZX will be a special, possibly a VIP-like flight due to some commemoration event.

The Dreamliner (TC-LLA) has already been "repaired"; those two "melted windows" have been replaced. So, unless there's not any other hickup, the inaugural and "special" flight to TZX should take place on the 8th.

mict

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm

stylo777 wrote:

They still fly the route, but on a much shorter period and only for about two months during summer.

When I try dummy bookings on LH's site on multiple dates in the middle of summer, all flights are operated by XQ, none by LH, am I missing something here?

Yakamoz

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:16 pm

According to my understanding, LH and XQ have a codeshare agreement since December 2018. Therefore XQ overtook MUC-ESB and MUC-ADB flights.

Yakamoz

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 pm

mafaky wrote:
Yakamoz wrote:

I actually tried to locate it at AirlineRoute (RoutesOnLine) yesterday, but couldn't.

BTW, I am referring to the inagural flight of TK's first 789 Dreamliner to Trabzon (TZX), not to Antalya (AYT). We know that the AYT flight with the 789 has been postponed to the 9th and the flight to TZX will be a special, possibly a VIP-like flight due to some commemoration event.

The Dreamliner (TC-LLA) has already been "repaired"; those two "melted windows" have been replaced. So, unless there's not any other hickup, the inaugural and "special" flight to TZX should take place on the 8th.
It was announced inaugural is AYT. However with the naming story, Trabzon was mentioned. I think it will be a VIP flight which is until now not bookable. AYT B789 flights starts July 9. The flights on 8 July replaced by A330.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 pm

This is the first time I've heard this. This coming August, TAV is opening a TK lounge at JFK and investing $10M, TK is actually renting the place, TAV might serve other airlines at this lounge but TK has priority.
https://www.airlinehaber.com/sani-sener ... zel-salon/ (Turkish only)

mict

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 pm

TK787 wrote:
This is the first time I've heard this. This coming August, TAV is opening a TK lounge at JFK and investing $10M, TK is actually renting the place, TAV might serve other airlines at this lounge but TK has priority.
https://www.airlinehaber.com/sani-sener ... zel-salon/ (Turkish only)

I think these plans were mentioned way back in the day when they were planning the IAD lounge. If I remember correctly a JFK lounge was in the works for awhile. I might be wrong though.

Yakamoz wrote:
According to my understanding, LH and XQ have a codeshare agreement since December 2018. Therefore XQ overtook MUC-ESB and MUC-ADB flights.

Yea... Hopefully they bring the flight back but my hopes are not very high.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 pm

mict wrote:

If I remember correctly a JFK lounge was in the works for awhile. I might be wrong though.

You are correct, I think it goes back 3-4 years, but it was lack of space at Terminal 1 at JFK. I didn't know the TAV involvement.
Also, is there a chance that TK is changing terminals at JFK?
Maybe coupled with not getting EWR slots, maybe 4th daily at JFK, new terminal, new lounge????

LAXintl

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Yes the JFK lounge has been in works for years.
TAV is involved as TK does not run its own lounges generally outside of Istanbul - they are managed by 3rd party. TAV, for example, runs the TK IAD and NBO lounges, plus lounges for TK at ADB and ESB. In total TAV runs 30+ lounges in many cities, often under its “primeclass” branding, but also for other airlines such as Air France.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

gokmengs

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:51 am

Yakamoz wrote:
mafaky wrote:
Yakamoz wrote:

It was announced inaugural is AYT. However with the naming story, Trabzon was mentioned. I think it will be a VIP flight which is until now not bookable. AYT B789 flights starts July 9. The flights on 8 July replaced by A330.

Thanks for the update changing my flight now

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:54 am

Someone was asking about the TK's new amenity kits on last month's thread; here they are, starting to be handed out effective today:
https://www.airturkhaber.com/haberler/t ... -yeniledi/

wexfordflyer

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 am

Hi all,

I have a question regarding transfering through Istanbul. I'm flying from Dublin to Tashkent (Return) through Istanbul in Sept. On the way out we land at 22.55 from Dublin and leave for Tashkent at 00.30, so thats 1.35 transfer time. On the way back we land in Istanbul from Tashkent at 06.00 and leave again at 07.25, so 1.25 transfer time.

Is this sufficient time to get through and make our connecting flights based on a.netters experience?

It will be my first time flying TK, so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks all
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

aldrigsomandre

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 am

wexfordflyer wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question regarding transfering through Istanbul. I'm flying from Dublin to Tashkent (Return) through Istanbul in Sept. On the way out we land at 22.55 from Dublin and leave for Tashkent at 00.30, so thats 1.35 transfer time. On the way back we land in Istanbul from Tashkent at 06.00 and leave again at 07.25, so 1.25 transfer time.

Is this sufficient time to get through and make our connecting flights based on a.netters experience?

It will be my first time flying TK, so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks all

It is if you wear comfortable shoes and walk relatively fast.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 am

I agree. If your flights are on time, that is more than enough time to make your connections. The longest distance between your gates will be about 2km. Try to get a seat in the front fo the plane and plan that most people on your flights will be making connections :) Bon Voyage.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 am

AFAIK, this could be one of the first photos of the new airport, with runway.
Looks like spotters are finding new places to snap away :)

wexfordflyer

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:07 pm

TK787 wrote:
I agree. If your flights are on time, that is more than enough time to make your connections. The longest distance between your gates will be about 2km. Try to get a seat in the front fo the plane and plan that most people on your flights will be making connections :) Bon Voyage.

Yeah I'll definitely be looking at getting seats near the front - but I won't be the only one!!

Thanks for your help :)
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

stylo777

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:15 pm

mict wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

When I try dummy bookings on LH's site on multiple dates in the middle of summer, all flights are operated by XQ, none by LH, am I missing something here?

Yakamoz wrote:

partly correct: they do codeshare on mentioned routes; however, they (LH) also operate a daily night-rotation in high-season between 25JUL19 10SEP19

LH2646 D MUC 2 ADB I 2320 0250+1 0 24JUL19 09SEP19 321 2:30
LH2647 D ADB I MUC 2 0350 0530 0 25JUL19 10SEP19 321 2:40

Delta28L

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:23 pm

TK787 wrote:

AFAIK, this could be one of the first photos of the new airport, with runway.
Looks like spotters are finding new places to snap away :)

There’s a bunch of photos on jetphotos.net of the new airport

AirbusA343

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Connecting at IST at the moment. Just had a flight on TC-JYM. The crew was excellent along with the catering. The IFE had excellent content but was ridiculously unresponsive. You have to press really hard to get a response. I was seated in seat 30F and my brother had the same issue.

The taxiing on arrival took 21 minutes of constant taxiing. Then it was another 10 minutes until we were allowed off. The architecture is very nice here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos