Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Ten dead after King Air crashes shortly after takeoff

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:06 pm

short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Longhornmaniac

Re: Ten dead after King Air crashes shortly after takeoff

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:17 pm

From people I know who were there, it looks/sounds as if it was an engine failure/probable Vmc situation.

As sad as it is, it could've been worse had that hangar had people in it.

:(

Edit: It's strange it's taken this so long to hit the airwaves. This happened around 10 am local time, more than 8 hours ago.
Cheers,
Cameron

SuperEighty

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Anyone have the Reg #?

cdin844

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Believe this is the flight https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/n534ff

I live about half a mile away from this airport and have to wonder if the pilot purposefully ditched into the hangar to avoid ground losses. Everything around the airport is residential.

xaapb

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:42 pm

SuperEighty wrote:
Anyone have the Reg #?

I’m assuming it was N534FF, it was scheduled to depart at 9:00am to St. Petersburg per Flightradar24.
May those on board Rest in Peace.
Greetings.
Jorge Meneses

Aesma

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:55 pm

Well I thought the same, another one ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Ziyulu

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:03 am

What airline is this? I cannot find the website for King Air.

Longhornmaniac

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 am

Ziyulu wrote:

King Airs are a type of twin-engine aircraft made by Beechcraft.
Cheers,
Cameron

xaapb

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:13 am

Ziyulu wrote:

King Air is not an airlines, King Air is a plane manufactured by Beechcraft - Textron Aviation.
Greetings.
Jorge Meneses

Okie

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:36 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
Edit: It's strange it's taken this so long to hit the airwaves. This happened around 10 am local time, more than 8 hours ago.

Weekend of a holiday week. Congress on Summer break I suspect the news organizations are on limited staff with new hires and interns on deck for the next week.

Looks like a Charter operation operating out of Addison. Not sure who sells the tickets.
Selling ski and other vacation air travel.
Similar operation going on over at DAL for Taos ski area.

Okie

Murdoughnut

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 am

Rangers were playing the Rays about a mile away from SPG. Given the scheduled arrival time, it’s possible they were coming in to see the game.

jmorgan41383

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:45 am

It was N534FF. It crashed into the Sky B&B hanger. Photographed the King Air 5 days ago landing on what was its last flight from Colorado.

https://flightaware.com/photos/view/152 ... tes/page/1
Last edited by jmorgan41383 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sic Em Bears

wjcandee

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 am

This is going to be a cluster. It's a two-year-old aircraft, and FAA.gov shows the reg as "not assigned/reserved" in the database.

It nevertheless took all of 30 seconds to find the entity that owns it and the principals thereof, which gives some insight to who was involved. This is going to be very sad.
Last edited by wjcandee on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhockey31091

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:56 am

cdin844 wrote:

I live about half a mile away from this airport and have to wonder if the pilot purposefully ditched into the hangar to avoid ground losses. Everything around the airport is residential.

Have you ever seen a plane a twin lose an engine on take off? They're uncontrollable, there's no way to try and avoid something. If you had enough control to do that you'd have enough control to clean the plane up and fly away.

hivue

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:04 am

mhockey31091 wrote:
Have you ever seen a plane a twin lose an engine on take off? They're uncontrollable, there's no way to try and avoid something.

I don't think any twin can be certified today if it can't fly with one engine out, even at the most critical point of takeoff.

There may have been other issues. Ten people. How much baggage? Distributed properly? Pilot sufficiently skilled to handle an engine out at a critical point in takeoff with a heavy load?
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

ctrabs0114

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
From people I know who were there, it looks/sounds as if it was an engine failure/probable Vmc situation.

As sad as it is, it could've been worse had that hangar had people in it.

:(

There aren't local newscasts at 11am-noon on Sundays, so it's not like you have a large group of reporters on call on weekends compared to weekdays.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

N766UA

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:13 am

mhockey31091 wrote:
cdin844 wrote:

Have you ever seen a plane a twin lose an engine on take off? They're uncontrollable, there's no way to try and avoid something. If you had enough control to do that you'd have enough control to clean the plane up and fly away.

Having flown King Airs professionally, I assure you they are not “uncontrollable” if you lose an engine on takeoff.

reltney

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 am

mhockey31091 wrote:
cdin844 wrote:

Very good non pilot talk. Remove yourself from pilot issues as you odiously have no clue. Multi engine aircraft are totally controllable when you have a failure of an engine and fly it by the numbers it was certified. It would not be certified if it it was uncontrollable . GMAFB.... READ A BOOK....

Something was not right in the pilot was below VMC, prop wouldn’t feather, control issues, YOU DONT KNOW until after the investigation. Stop armchair aviating.

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

SuseJ772

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:23 am

N766UA wrote:
mhockey31091 wrote:
cdin844 wrote:

Having flown King Airs professionally, I assure you they are not “uncontrollable” if you lose an engine on takeoff.

I think you guys are missing his point. We all know that multi-engine aircraft are certified to fly on one engine at takeoff. Hell, most of the multi engine training is flying it with one engine.

The point he was trying to make was that if he had enough controllability or situational awareness to choose the hanger over the residential area, he had enough to keep the plane flying. The point was his choice of the hanger over residents likely wasn’t a choice of heroics as the cbin844 originally stated.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

D L X

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 am

wjcandee wrote:
This is going to be a cluster. It's a two-year-old aircraft, and FAA.gov shows the reg as "not assigned/reserved" in the database.

It nevertheless took all of 30 seconds to find the entity that owns it and the principals thereof, which gives some insight to who was involved. This is going to be very sad.

Who's plane was it?

Also, can we update the thread Title to include where this happened? It's very vague.

SuseJ772

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:27 am

It is a very sad event. I have flown in King Airs more than any private aircraft (N34LT in my case, the last time out of SPG).

I am going out on a limb but 10 people on a holiday weekend to my home airport of SPG is likely a whole family going on vacation (as opposed to a business trip). Very sad.

Biscayne738

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:34 am

From what I can tell this King Air was on Planemasters certificate a Part 91/135 a Chicago based management and charter company. The aircraft was taken off Planemasters website this afternoon. Hard to tell if this was a 91 owner flight or a 135 charter flight, who knows who the passengers were? RIP to all involved!

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:39 am

Very reminiscent of the King Air crash at KICT a few years back. LOC following engine failure just after lift-off and crashed into the FSI simulator building.

A Part 23 twin isn’t certified the same as a Part 25 plane. A turboprop does better than a piston twin, but is marginal below “blue line” speed.

GF

NIKV69

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 am

Reg was N534FF I have been in that hangar and I have photos of the hangar post crash wish I could share but of course can't RIP all aboard.
I am the Googlizer!!!

cdin844

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:00 am

Biscayne738 wrote:
From what I can tell this King Air was on Planemasters certificate a Part 91/135 a Chicago based management and charter company. The aircraft was taken off Planemasters website this afternoon. Hard to tell if this was a 91 owner flight or a 135 charter flight, who knows who the passengers were? RIP to all involved!

According to an article, it had “changed hands” recently: The aircraft had apparently changed hands recently, but it was previously owned by a charter company based in Chicago, Landsberg said. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Small ... 23482.html

Not sure why the ownership details are so sketchy here.

Max Q

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 am

Might be a good idea to wait for the accident investigation to be complete before deciding on the cause !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

cdin844

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:07 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
N766UA wrote:
mhockey31091 wrote:

I think you guys are missing his point. We all know that multi-engine aircraft are certified to fly on one engine at takeoff. Hell, most of the multi engine training is flying it with one engine.

The point he was trying to make was that if he had enough controllability or situational awareness to choose the hanger over the residential area, he had enough to keep the plane flying. The point was his choice of the hanger over residents likely wasn’t a choice of heroics as the cbin844 originally stated.

Good points all around, my apologies for speculating I have just always been particularly interested about this airport’s location.

SuperEighty

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:22 am

Sounds it could be a case of engine failure and uncontrolled crash into terrain. This for some reason is more prevalent on King Air's than most A/C. However, i'd say in the majority of those accidents the engine failed just before rotation speed, with the PIC deciding to try and put it up rather than getting on the breaks, throttles and aborting the takeoff (Which is what you should do if you are below rotation speed. If above, proceed with the departure and follow the checklist).

I've got 1,191hrs in a 200 and have experienced one failure right after rotation. Fortunately i had memorized the checklist due to the stories i'd heard about King Air's and crashes when losing an engine on departure. Flew it by the numbers, made it home safely.

FROM THE CHECKLIST:

ENGINE FAILURE DURING TAKE-OFF (ABOVE ROTATION SPEED)
Airspeed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . blue line
Directional control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . maintain
Power (operative engine) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . maximum
Gear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . retract
Prop (inop. engine) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . feather
Trim . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5˚towards operative engine
Climb . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . straight ahead
(Avoid obstacles and attain sufficient altitude to execute SINGLE ENGINE LANDING procedure on page 5-4)
Inop. engine. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .complete ENGINE SECURING
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PROCEDURE on page 5-2

D L X

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 am

Is it a political campaign?

It seems that there are people that know who owns this plane. What is preventing people from sharing it?

ubeema

Ten dead after King Air crashes shortly after takeoff

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:55 am

For those unfamiliar with North Texas hope this helps visualize location. As mentioned up thread https://addisontexas.net/airport is adjacent to populated neighborhoods. The airport caters mainly to General Aviation not commercial thus possibly lack of coverage. When I first heard of it news only reported 2 people involved and no further details. Then I saw NTSB send a team and more coverage started.
ImageImage

wjcandee

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:37 am

It is interesting that other pilots characterized it as the engine sound indicating a reduced-thrust takeoff, though they didn't know whether that was intentional.

8 pax and bags plus a crew of 2 on an 1100-mile flight isn't a lightly-loaded B350i. 10 Texans plus the bags of ten Texans is going to put you closer-than-not to the max payload of 2545 lbs., and you're going to travel about 2/3 of the max range, and the max range comes at a substantial hit to max payload. So I'm thinking that fuel plus people plus bags on this trip doesn't call for a substantially-reduced-power takeoff.

So the pilots' observation is an interesting data point. They also saw it rotate, get to about 200 feet, bank over and drop. They "knew it was going to crash" as it was trying to gain altitude.

All we really know is that it did not have enough kinetic energy to maintain a climb and/or maintain controlled flight. Whether that's the result of an engine failure or some other kind of problem/error (or both) is what obviously the NTSB will tell us at some point.

SUPER80: Your post is most-knowledgeable and interesting. That engine-out checklist isn't too complicated (max power, retract, feather (then secure) inop engine, trim 5 deg to working engine, climb straight ahead), but it's also easy to eff-up in a high-stress environment if it ain't drilled in there and you don't force yourself to focus hard on which engine is out, etc.

zeke

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:53 am

Reminds me of this king air accident, crashed into a building adjacent to the airport soon after takeoff with and engine failure.

Gear was not retracted following the failure, failed to climb.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2017-024/

Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

GCT64

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:04 am

wjcandee wrote:

I believe N534FF was re-registered to N511EF in April or May (I've seen various different dates) hence the "not assigned/reserved" for N534FF. Looks like the actual aircraft registration may not have been repainted.
https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquir ... rtxt=511EF
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

SuseJ772

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:42 pm

wjcandee wrote:
It is interesting that other pilots characterized it as the engine sound indicating a reduced-thrust takeoff, though they didn't know whether that was intentional.

8 pax and bags plus a crew of 2 on an 1100-mile flight isn't a lightly-loaded B350i. 10 Texans plus the bags of ten Texans is going to put you closer-than-not to the max payload of 2545 lbs., and you're going to travel about 2/3 of the max range, and the max range comes at a substantial hit to max payload. So I'm thinking that fuel plus people plus bags on this trip doesn't call for a substantially-reduced-power takeoff.

So the pilots' observation is an interesting data point. They also saw it rotate, get to about 200 feet, bank over and drop. They "knew it was going to crash" as it was trying to gain altitude.

All we really know is that it did not have enough kinetic energy to maintain a climb and/or maintain controlled flight. Whether that's the result of an engine failure or some other kind of problem/error (or both) is what obviously the NTSB will tell us at some point.

SUPER80: Your post is most-knowledgeable and interesting. That engine-out checklist isn't too complicated (max power, retract, feather (then secure) inop engine, trim 5 deg to working engine, climb straight ahead), but it's also easy to eff-up in a high-stress environment if it ain't drilled in there and you don't force yourself to focus hard on which engine is out, etc.

I had similar thought at first, but it should only have been 835nm with the standard cleared route from ATC, which is about 60% of its max playload range of 1500nm.

That being said, I did forget about bags. We’ve had 8 passengers in a King Air often, but we rarely had bags as they were mostly day trips to football games and back.

SuseJ772

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:44 pm

D L X wrote:
Is it a political campaign?

It seems that there are people that know who owns this plane. What is preventing people from sharing it?

I didn’t think of that. Maybe.

My thought was it was an entire family, including extended family, and it might be a bit more difficult to figure out who to notify.

That being said it is getting a little strange it hasn’t been released after 24 hours.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Listening to ATC audio. Chilling.
I am the Googlizer!!!

cdin844

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Do you have a link?

RickNRoll

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm

zeke wrote:
Reminds me of this king air accident, crashed into a building adjacent to the airport soon after takeoff with and engine failure.

Gear was not retracted following the failure, failed to climb.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2017-024/

It does. In that case it was probably pilot error.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

This is the KA crash in KICT that I was referring to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wichita_King_Air_crash

VeeCee

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:13 pm

cdin844 wrote:
Do you have a link?

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kads/ ... -1400Z.mp3

About 9 minutes in.

cdin844

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:23 pm

VeeCee wrote:
cdin844 wrote:
Do you have a link?

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kads/ ... -1400Z.mp3

About 9 minutes in.

Thank you

cdin844

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:24 pm

NTSB to provide an update at 4pm today

codc10

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:49 pm

A/c hadn't been repainted with the new rego. A few families on board. Can't share any more details at this point, but nothing short of a tragedy.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:02 pm

No emergency call and no dialogue with controller after clearance. Telling.
I am the Googlizer!!!

VeeCee

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:36 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

What's telling about? By all accounts it was not in the air long. They would have had no time to call and/or were focused on trying to recover.

737max8

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 pm

The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

jetblueguy22

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:45 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

netbucks

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:47 pm

I live in Addison and I'm very familiar with the layout of the airport. For the plane to have crashed into that hangar (which is virtually across the street from the airport fire station), it would have only used half of the 7200 foot runway on the takeoff roll. They had plenty of runway ahead of them to abort the takeoff or even over run into the EMAS barrier straight ahead of them. Very sad.

cdin844

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:55 pm

The article linked above said the aircraft veered left before crashing. Pretty much all takeoffs from this airport make a very quick turn to the left, so I wonder if the pilot was attempting to do that?

highflier92660

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:58 pm

netbucks wrote:
I live in Addison and I'm very familiar with the layout of the airport. For the plane to have crashed into that hangar (which is virtually across the street from the airport fire station), it would have only used half of the 7200 foot runway on the takeoff roll. They had plenty of runway ahead of them to abort the takeoff or even over run into the EMAS barrier straight ahead of them. Very sad.

I looked-up at the flight history and they also made this same round-trip back in April to Albert Whitted airport in St. Pete. If they carried the same 8 pax, that King air 350i must have been fairly close to the 15,000 pound gross T/O weight. Since Albert Whitted's longest runway is only 3,677 feet long, that also would have involved some fancy math to calculate safe accelerate-stop distances on the return flight.

There are a lot of corporate pilots at Addison field. Unfortunately all the media seem to have interviewed thus far were Theodore Throttle types who offered up twin-engine out tips to reporters like "dead foot, dead engine." That was a late-model king Air 350i, professionally flown turboprop with two crew members and auto feather (hopefully armed) on takeoff. They need to interview some King Air drivers with a lot of time in type that witnessed the accident.