Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

EWR International gate 'slotting'

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 am

While EWR is no longer slot restricted, it is still constrained by it's gate space. More specifically in terminal B, the international terminal. But despite routes being dropped over the past year, no new space has been available for the expansion of airlines. Some notable drops include,

DL- 7x CDG, 7x AMS
PF- 7x STN, 7x CDG, planned massive expansion
WW- 7x KEF, planned 14x weekly expansion
DY- 7x ORY
ET- 3x ABJ
LY- Second flight moved to morning (off peak time)

This totals up to a minimum of 8 fewer international flights a day, most of which were during peak hours, but yet TK amongst other airlines are not able to obtain gate space? What is happening to it?

N62NA

Re: EWR International gate 'slotting'

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:07 am

The new Terminal 1 (replacement for Terminal A) might help out by getting DL out of Terminal B.

aemoreira1981

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 am

The real problem is the availability of wide-body gates at Terminal B. Even though it's an international terminal, many of the gates cannot handle wide-bodies. Hopefully Terminal 1 is able to handle international flights (aside from those from Canada other than from YTZ).

I also notice that LY has a really inefficient operation at EWR, where a plane, usually a 747, sits for nearly 16 hours (when it isn't the Sabbath) before the return flight. I am actually surprised that LY wasn't able to hold onto its early evening gate, although EWR has been upgauged to a B789 and a B744, instead of a B772 and a B789.

enilria

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:31 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
While EWR is no longer slot restricted, it is still constrained by it's gate space. More specifically in terminal B, the international terminal. But despite routes being dropped over the past year, no new space has been available for the expansion of airlines. Some notable drops include,

DL- 7x CDG, 7x AMS
PF- 7x STN, 7x CDG, planned massive expansion
WW- 7x KEF, planned 14x weekly expansion
DY- 7x ORY
ET- 3x ABJ
LY- Second flight moved to morning (off peak time)

This totals up to a minimum of 8 fewer international flights a day, most of which were during peak hours, but yet TK amongst other airlines are not able to obtain gate space? What is happening to it?

Airlines have told me it’s it not just gates. The FAA also refuses additional arrivals and departures in peak times. So it’s gates and then a borderline slot system. Since UA has so many grandfathered slots they have a lot more flexibility, but they can’t grow either as I understand it.

Delta757MD88

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:33 am

I spot there all the time, i live in NJ. Here is the issue, with terminal 1 being bulit right now it is a huge help. The fact that all AC flights also have pre-clearance is helpful. However, the alleys are very narrow and some of the gates maybe 3-4 gates per alley can be clogged at one time. We have mainly one big international rush that kills TB. Also UA uses B for some international arrivals, but all departures out of C. Looking at TB before around 3pm its basically all UA arrivals, which then get towed. In the morning its really only a few carriers, LY, CA, EK, PD, AV, SQ, and the UA arrivals. All of those flights are usually out of EWR before 245pm (except for PD, they have 1-2 dedicated gates). This was also the issue with the TK inaugural as they could not get a gate space. As for the DL part of B it cannot be used for INTL arrivals as it does not have a walkway to customs. Also boarding is another issue as there is no double gates at any terminal. It would really make sense for UA to let LH and other star partners use C, but UA has gating issues of their own. Its really a hot mess after 530 getting out and departure lines are easily in the 20s.
Flown on: MD-88/90 DC-9 717 737-7/8/900, 757-2/300, 767-3/400 777-200/300ER 787-9, E145/170/175, CRJ-100/200/700/900, A319/320 A333 A350 Q300/400.

Scarebus34

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:49 am

The airport needs to be re-slotted but the FAA is against it. However, they sure have a hell of a time moving traffic during peak times. It would better for all involved if they would just re-slot.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:29 pm

Thank you for all your helpful responses but I am seeing a common theme. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody really knows where all the former international slots went?

United1

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Thank you for all your helpful responses but I am seeing a common theme. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody really knows where all the former international slots went?

Not sure anyone can definitively answer your question but just to clarify something with you EWR has no slots. The FAA simply won't allow new flights at certain peak times.

As to what happened to the gate space more than likely aircraft that would have been towed to remote parking to make way for those flights are simply being left at the gates. No point moving those aircraft if the gate isn't needed.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

leader1

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:22 pm

enilria wrote:
Airlines have told me it’s it not just gates. The FAA also refuses additional arrivals and departures in peak times. So it’s gates and then a borderline slot system. Since UA has so many grandfathered slots they have a lot more flexibility, but they can’t grow either as I understand it.

This is correct. EWR is a Level 2 Slot Coordinated airport. This basically means that while there are no hard airline slots, they still must have their schedules approved by the FAA before hand. From what I have been told, they won't allow EWR to have more than around 77 flights an hour.
Leader-1

Bricktop

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Maybe not Prime Time, but SQ is back, CA is newish, and EK has a second flight. TP has a late evening arrival TP209 from Porto that started with an A330 but is now done with an A321, but I’m not sure how long it’s been going on. Great from a spotters POV.

Of the OP’s example the “troubling” one is DL. WOW and Primera went bust, and the ORY flight was Norwegian’s only one IIRC. I liked having DL TATL to keep UA honest, and true to form their prices have headed north.

LOT767301ER

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:59 pm

The airport needs to be re-slotted but the FAA is against it. However, they sure have a hell of a time moving traffic during peak times. It would better for all involved if they would just re-slot.

UA PR department is on here? Nice.

ss31

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm

LOT767301ER wrote:

I agree EWR needs to be re-slotted. No reason ATC delay program should be applied on days with great flying weather. If growth is warranted then airlines can upguage aircraft.

AirKevin

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm

ss31 wrote:
If growth is warranted then airlines can upguage aircraft.

And if they're already operating their largest aircraft?
Captain Kevin

aemoreira1981

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:14 am

leader1 wrote:
enilria wrote:

This is correct. EWR is a Level 2 Slot Coordinated airport. This basically means that while there are no hard airline slots, they still must have their schedules approved by the FAA before hand. From what I have been told, they won't allow EWR to have more than around 77 flights an hour.

EWR, and possibly SFO, need to go to Level 3 as JFK is. But the problem is that JFK has more gates capable of handling wide-bodies

As for TK, the situation might be to go year-round to a B77W on TK1/2 and TK11/12 (TK3/4 being on the B789).

Here, the new Terminal 1 needs to be capable of handling international arrivals, which could allow pre-cleared flights to move to Terminal B.

stlgph

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:26 am

No room at JFK T1 during that time for 1/2 to upguage, unless I missed someone pulling out or changing their schedules.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:29 am

AirKevin wrote:
ss31 wrote:

UA isn't. Look at the average gauge at EWR vs. [email protected] Kicking some destinations to IAD was just a tiny start,

jfklganyc

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:37 am

Something came out a few months ago from FAA

If its not around the 11am hour, they are full.

No slots, but no availability

AirKevin

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:13 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
ss31 wrote:

UA isn't. Look at the average gauge at EWR vs. [email protected] Kicking some destinations to IAD was just a tiny start,

I know they aren't, I never said United specifically. Lufthansa, for instance, is already operating the Boeing 747-8 into Newark out of Frankfurt. The only thing bigger than that is an A380, and even then, I don't think one can even fly to Newark. Alaska doesn't have anything bigger than a Boeing 737-900ER, and TAP Air Portugal doesn't have anything bigger than an Airbus A330-900. Hence my question.
Captain Kevin

N649DL

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:38 am

N62NA wrote:
The new Terminal 1 (replacement for Terminal A) might help out by getting DL out of Terminal B.

I'm not sure if DL would want to give up being in Terminal B considering they have access to newly configured check-in areas, new TSA processing area (they built this out of the terminal, it's relatively new construction) and a newly retrofitted Sky Club. The gate areas even have the new rebranding that some stations haven't seen as of yet. For what they have compared to airlines in Terminal A, it's actually pretty good. Recall DL's Terminal B check-in areas are now on the middle level and are relatively new as well (and expanded).

I would think UAEX, AA, AS, WN and some of the LCC's can't wait for the new Terminal A to open. AA's security areas are abysmal compared to DL.

ss31 wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:

I agree EWR needs to be re-slotted. No reason ATC delay program should be applied on days with great flying weather. If growth is warranted then airlines can upguage aircraft.

The Port Authority needs to task UAL with that one with re-banking EWR. There is a higher amount of downtime (EG: 11am to 1pm) with ops during the day and in the late evening compared to the mornings, late afternoons, and early evenings. There are times you can be at EWR and think it's surprisingly dead, then come the late afternoon it's a total mess.

UALifer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:18 am

N649DL wrote:
The Port Authority needs to task UAL with that one with re-banking EWR. There is a higher amount of downtime (EG: 11am to 1pm) with ops during the day and in the late evening compared to the mornings, late afternoons, and early evenings. There are times you can be at EWR and think it's surprisingly dead, then come the late afternoon it's a total mess.

The issues at EWR were brought about by Port Authority and the FAA, not United. It’s their problem to fix, not United’s. UA is going to continue to schedule the EWR hub to maximize profitability, not to solve a problem that isn’t theirs to solve.

N649DL

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:46 am

UALifer wrote:
N649DL wrote:

The issues at EWR were brought about by Port Authority and the FAA, not United. It’s their problem to fix, not United’s. UA is going to continue to schedule the EWR hub to maximize profitability, not to solve a problem that isn’t theirs to solve.

I said UAL should consider re-banking EWR to allocate during some down times during day. The PANYNJ is obviously a seriously corrupted organization but that has nothing to do with how UAL banks it's hub.

wn676

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:17 am

N649DL wrote:
UALifer wrote:
N649DL wrote:

I said UAL should consider re-banking EWR to allocate during some down times during day. The PANYNJ is obviously a seriously corrupted organization but that has nothing to do with how UAL banks it's hub.

I don’t agree it should be done as part of a rebanking effort. If EWR is to function as an O&D hub, UA needs to focus their flying on when that demand is highest; there is a reason those peaks in their schedule exist, after all.
Last edited by wn676 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

ITB

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:28 am

leader1 wrote:
enilria wrote:

Earlier this year I started a thread about EWR and slots. For those who may have missed it, here it is:

According to information included in the FAA's Notice of Submission Deadline for Schedule Information for Chicago O'Hare International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, Newark Liberty International Airport, and San Francisco International Airport for the Summer 2019 Scheduling Season, published September 9, 2018 in the Federal Register (link below), air traffic and movements at EWR, as well as ORD, JFK, LAX and SFO, are being closely monitored.

According to the Notice, the FAA is primarily concerned about "scheduled and other regularly conducted commercial operations during peak hours" at the aforementioned five airports. Peak hours at EWR and JFK, per the Notice, are deemed to be from 0600 to 2300 Eastern Time (1000 to 0300 UTC).

Addressing schedules specifically at EWR, the Notice had this to say:

The FAA is continuing to monitor operations and delays at EWR and to identify ways to improve performance metrics and operational efficiency, and achieve delay reductions in a Level 2 environment. Demand for access to EWR and the New York City area remains high. Recent requests for flights at EWR have exceeded the scheduling limits in the 8 a.m. and 1300-2159 local hours. The FAA has advised carriers in prior seasons that it would not be able to accommodate all requests for new or retimed operations in peak hours and worked with carriers to identify times that were available. In some limited cases, carriers were able to swap with other airlines for their preferred times in the peak for winter 2018. Carriers may continue to seek swaps in order to operate within the peak. However, the FAA also continues to seek the voluntary cooperation of all carriers operating in peak hours to retime operations out of the peak to improve performance at EWR.

For the summer 2019 season, the hourly scheduling limit remains at 79 Start Printed Page 49157operations and 43 operations per half-hour. To help with a balance between arrivals and departures, the maximum number of scheduled arrivals or departures, respectively, is 43 in an hour and 24 in a half-hour. This would allow some higher levels of operations in certain periods (not to exceed the hourly limits) and some recovery from lower demand in adjacent periods. The FAA will accept flights above the limits if the flights were operated on a regular basis in summer 2018, but again, the FAA seeks cooperation of carriers to retime operations, to the extent feasible, out of the peak period. Additionally, the FAA will consider whether demand exceeds the limits in adjacent periods and consider average demand before determining whether there is availability for new flights in a particular period. However, the operational performance of the airport is unlikely to improve unless peak demand is reduced and schedules remain within the airport's arrival and departure limits.

The FAA notes that despite efforts to facilitate voluntary scheduling cooperation at EWR, and reductions in the hourly scheduling limits,[4] average demand for summer 2018 in the afternoon and evening hours remains at 81 operations per hour as it was in summer 2017. There are periods when the demand in half-hours or consecutive half-hours exceeds the optimum runway capacity and the scheduling limits in this notice. The imbalance of scheduled arrivals and departures in certain periods has contributed to increased congestion and delays when the demand exceeds the arrival or departure rates. In particular, retiming a minimal number of arrivals in the early afternoon hours from the 1400 local hour to the 1300 and 1200 hours could have significant delay reduction benefits and help preserve the Level 2 designation at EWR.

Based on historical demand, the FAA anticipates the 0700 to 0859 and 1330 to 2159 periods to be unavailable for new flights. Consistent with the WSG, carriers should be prepared to adjust schedules to meet the hourly limits in order to minimize potential congestion and delay. Carriers are again reminded that runway approval must be obtained from the FAA in addition to any requirements for approval from airport terminal or other facilities prior to operation.

The last paragraph is particularly illuminating. No additional flights at EWR are to be scheduled from 0700 to 0859 and 1330 to 2159. So, Newark is currently considered maxed out for 10.5 hours a day, or nearly 62% of its peak hours. As such, the Notice seems to convey the impression EWR is rapidly approaching the moment when it will designated an IATA Level 3 facility, which means it will be slot controlled. It appears it is no longer a question of "if" but "when." But exactly when is unclear and will, undoubtedly, involve many factors. It may be several years away or may not. Nevertheless, with many 50-seater flights already having been up gauged to 76-seaters, any additional growth at EWR likely will mean more flights, further stressing an already constrained facility.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... rport-john

strfyr51

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:54 am

N649DL wrote:
UALifer wrote:
N649DL wrote:

The Port authority was all for United Leaving JFK for EWR right after the merger, " No Problems" they said. JFK was up to their ears in flights at that time. Now??
JFK EWR and LGA are up to their ears in flights. I guess they'll HAVE to upgrade Stewart out on Long Island .. Isn't there still Floyd Bennett Field somewhere?

N649DL

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:22 am

strfyr51 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
UALifer wrote:

The Port authority was all for United Leaving JFK for EWR right after the merger, " No Problems" they said. JFK was up to their ears in flights at that time. Now??
JFK EWR and LGA are up to their ears in flights. I guess they'll HAVE to upgrade Stewart out on Long Island .. Isn't there still Floyd Bennett Field somewhere?

It wasn't right after the merger, it was in late 2015 when Jeff Smisek got caught with dealing with "The Chairman's Flight". He was asked to leave UAL board after he pleased some goon at the PANYNJ getting his own personal ERJ to South Carolina from EWR.

UAL leaving JFK still haunts the airline today, IMHO. Smisek was Lorenzo in a different suit as they say.

STT757

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:25 am

Regarding Terminal B, the Port Authority announced they’re beginning the planning for replacing Terminal B with a new Terminal 2.

https://corpinfo.panynj.gov/documents/P ... ssessment/

Moving all the terminals further West makes way for a new third parallel runway as was outlined
By the RPA. That would allow for simultaneous landings or departures. The new Terminal 2 looks huge!

Also they’re building a New Airtrain and the PATH extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jfklganyc

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 am

STT757 wrote:
Regarding Terminal B, the Port Authority announced they’re beginning the planning for replacing Terminal B with a new Terminal 2.

Moving all the terminals further West makes way for a new third parallel runway as was outlined
By the RPA. That would allow for simultaneous landings or departures. The new Terminal 2 looks huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No offense to your agency or state...but no one that lives here or knows the PA actually believes a third parallel will get built. If they proposed it tomorrow they would be looking at decades of litigation.

The Airtrain that (may) get built in the future is the perfect example of the PA and inept spending.

A monorail was built in the mid 90s

The system was never adequate. It immediately fell into disrepair and had to be shut for months. It was and is slow and pokey.

25 years later, in a region with the most expensive construction costs in the nation, they are going to tear down and replace an entire transit system. They are going to do this because the transit system they built just 25 years ago is an operational disaster.

Sigh

And...you are about to pay a LOT more to access EWR by train or car or cab or uber to pay for that mistake.

$7.75 for the Pokey Train. $4 fees on ubers and taxis, double digit percent increase on tolls at the crumbling bridges

That is your Agency. That is your State

leader1

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:41 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
EWR, and possibly SFO, need to go to Level 3 as JFK is. But the problem is that JFK has more gates capable of handling wide-bodies.

EWR should never have been lifted from Level 3. Even when there was "improved performance", it still ranked dead last in on-time arrival. SFO should have been Level 3 long ago. I also think BOS, ORD and PHL should get slotted. BOS's performance has gotten worse the last few years and there isn't much that can be done with that runway configuration. PHL is basically EWR without the airspace issues. Performance has gotten better, but only because it has 500 fewer daily flights than it did 10-15 years ago. That's going to make a big difference. But there are still times during the day when the airport is over-scheduled and when the weather gets bad, they can't run converging ops. And while ORD's performance has drastically improved with the runway realignment, it is still among the worst-performing airports. Even with the reconfiguration, they can't beat the bad weather and Chicago gets a lot of that.

ITB wrote:
The last paragraph is particularly illuminating. No additional flights at EWR are to be scheduled from 0700 to 0859 and 1330 to 2159. So, Newark is currently considered maxed out for 10.5 hours a day, or nearly 62% of its peak hours. As such, the Notice seems to convey the impression EWR is rapidly approaching the moment when it will designated an IATA Level 3 facility, which means it will be slot controlled. It appears it is no longer a question of "if" but "when." But exactly when is unclear and will, undoubtedly, involve many factors. It may be several years away or may not. Nevertheless, with many 50-seater flights already having been up gauged to 76-seaters, any additional growth at EWR likely will mean more flights, further stressing an already constrained facility.

I read that the other day. Just waiting for when the FAA actually finds the gumption to do something about it. Also in that notice was that ORD will not be Level 2 for the winter season.

STT757 wrote:
Regarding Terminal B, the Port Authority announced they’re beginning the planning for replacing Terminal B with a new Terminal 2. Moving all the terminals further West makes way for a new third parallel runway as was outlined
By the RPA. That would allow for simultaneous landings or departures.

RPA's recommendations have changed since then. The report you're referring to was from 2011. This is the most recent update with a completely overhauled concept.

Even if they moved all terminals further West, there is no way they can run simultaneous arrival or departure ops at EWR as the airspace won't allow it. You need a separate arrival stream for each runway and the airspace is too constrained for this. You have TEB and LGA affecting South Flow arrivals and North Flow departures. I think they best they have managed was staggering arrivals on the 4s as there is some airspace flexibility, but I haven't seen this used that often.

jfklganyc wrote:
No offense to your agency or state...but no one that lives here or knows the PA actually believes a third parallel will get built. If they proposed it tomorrow they would be looking at decades of litigation.
jfklganyc wrote:

That is your Agency. That is your State

What gives you the idea he actually works there?
Leader-1

jfklganyc

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:54 pm

I have been reading his posts for 15 years.

Just a hunch, If I was a betting man...which I am not

Either way, he is the biggest (and to my knowledge) only Port Authority fanboy on this site

omerlich

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
The real problem is the availability of wide-body gates at Terminal B. Even though it's an international terminal, many of the gates cannot handle wide-bodies. Hopefully Terminal 1 is able to handle international flights (aside from those from Canada other than from YTZ).

I also notice that LY has a really inefficient operation at EWR, where a plane, usually a 747, sits for nearly 16 hours (when it isn't the Sabbath) before the return flight. I am actually surprised that LY wasn't able to hold onto its early evening gate, although EWR has been upgauged to a B789 and a B744, instead of a B772 and a B789.

It's a slot issue : flight 25 that leaves as 26 in the evening didn't get an afternoon slot this season. this was the only arrival slot available.

leader1

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:39 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I have been reading his posts for 15 years.

Just a hunch, If I was a betting man...which I am not

Either way, he is the biggest (and to my knowledge) only Port Authority fanboy on this site

Just because someone knows how to navigate a website well, doesn't make the man employee...

For some odd reason the latest RPA plan didn't get linked to my post above. Here it is:

http://fourthplan.org/reports/upgrading ... -revisited
Leader-1

jfklganyc

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:05 pm

I don’t care if he works for the Port Authority or not.

It is his agency because he is their biggest fanboy and defender on this site.

A lot of people have suspected that I work for Delta or JetBlue for the same reasons. It comes with the territory I guess

A third parallel runway at Newark is ridiculous given the financial state and political gridlock at the PA.

A few years ago he claimed that terminal 1 at Newark would open before LGA. Given the state of finances in New Jersey at the time and the lack of political will to spend money, that claim was also dubious

Many people on this site don’t live in the New York area… And they take information like that seriously

For those of us that do live here, and understand what is happening politically and financially at the agency, it is important to add color to statements like “a new airtrain is being built.”

At present, the only project that is assured at EWR is Terminal 1.

Everything else is a wish list item… Even the capital projects over the next decade.

The agency’s financial and political turmoil assures that anything beyond final approval is just a wish list item

dmstorm22

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:32 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I don’t care if he works for the Port Authority or not.

It is his agency because he is their biggest fanboy and defender on this site.

A lot of people have suspected that I work for Delta or JetBlue for the same reasons. It comes with the territory I guess

A third parallel runway at Newark is ridiculous given the financial state and political gridlock at the PA.

A few years ago he claimed that terminal 1 at Newark would open before LGA. Given the state of finances in New Jersey at the time and the lack of political will to spend money, that claim was also dubious

Many people on this site don’t live in the New York area… And they take information like that seriously

For those of us that do live here, and understand what is happening politically and financially at the agency, it is important to add color to statements like “a new airtrain is being built.”

At present, the only project that is assured at EWR is Terminal 1.

Everything else is a wish list item… Even the capital projects over the next decade.

The agency’s financial and political turmoil assures that anything beyond final approval is just a wish list item

This is good context. Things take forever here. From what I know, isn';t JFK's redevelopment higher up the totem pole than any further EWR rebuilds aside from the new T1?

Also, I think the Path extension is confirmed/in-progress, right?

muralir

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:22 pm

leader1 wrote:
EWR should never have been lifted from Level 3. Even when there was "improved performance", it still ranked dead last in on-time arrival. SFO should have been Level 3 long ago. I also think BOS, ORD and PHL should get slotted. BOS's performance has gotten worse the last few years and there isn't much that can be done with that runway configuration. PHL is basically EWR without the airspace issues. Performance has gotten better, but only because it has 500 fewer daily flights than it did 10-15 years ago. That's going to make a big difference. But there are still times during the day when the airport is over-scheduled and when the weather gets bad, they can't run converging ops. And while ORD's performance has drastically improved with the runway realignment, it is still among the worst-performing airports. Even with the reconfiguration, they can't beat the bad weather and Chicago gets a lot of that.

Not to hijack this thread, but I disagree about ORD. The massive runway reconfiguration and expansion has significantly improved operations, to the point where now it's severely gate-constrained, but not runway-constrained. Furthermore, they've also just opened a huge central deicing facility (2nd largest in the world) to improve operations during winter weather, which is typically when Chicago gets weather-related delays. While the gate situation still limits ORD's ability to add flights, I don't believe gate capacity is considered in the FAA's slot control decisions (please correct me if I'm wrong).

That said, I agree with you about SFO (Don't have much experience with BOS or PHL). SFO gets massive delays on a year-round basis whenever even the slightest fog rolls in, which is many days. Without any imminent plan to fix their runway capacity issues, there's no reason to hold off on imposing slot restrictions.

Also, with EWR facing long-term capacity constraints with or without formal slot restrictions, I believe UA will gradually move hub operations to other hubs (IAD, ORD, IAH) leaving EWR as primarily O&D, similar to JFK, which went from the country's primary international hub to basically an O&D airport due to its capacity constraints.

leader1

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm

muralir wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but I disagree about ORD. The massive runway reconfiguration and expansion has significantly improved operations, to the point where now it's severely gate-constrained, but not runway-constrained. Furthermore, they've also just opened a huge central deicing facility (2nd largest in the world) to improve operations during winter weather, which is typically when Chicago gets weather-related delays. While the gate situation still limits ORD's ability to add flights, I don't believe gate capacity is considered in the FAA's slot control decisions (please correct me if I'm wrong).

ORD's performance absolutely has improved with the new runways. There's no denying that. But we're talking an improvement from half the flights being delayed to about a quarter. That's still pretty bad and still ranks low. Compare this to ATL, an airport with the same runway configuration and a similar number of flights, which performs much better. ORD does have a lack of gates, but when the weather gets bad, the FAA reduces the acceptance rate and that has nothing to do with the gates. I mean, even now, there's a GDP where the AAR has been reduced to 72 arrivals an hour compared to the normal 100. Chicago still gets a lot of very bad weather and nothing will ever change that.
Leader-1

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos