Page 2 of 6

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:40 pm
by OA260
RRTrent wrote:

It may not be regular, but it was certainly planned in advance. LH announced a few months back that the 343 would be in once a week.


Indeed although being only one day a week for a small amount of time it would most likely still have been put where it was yesterday due to the lack of alternatives owing to congestion. Still from various people posting photos the disembarking by steps seems to be popular ;)

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:35 pm
by JAmie2k9
RRTrent wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
If the A340 was regular and planned in advance chances are it would have been assigned 300 gates.


It may not be regular, but it was certainly planned in advance. LH announced a few months back that the 343 would be in once a week.


The slot was assigned on the basis of a narrow body, the A340 was a very late addition to the schedule. It's only once a week at a peak time for wide body operations so getting your preferred stand isn't guaranteed.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:07 am
by OA260
Nordic Aviation takes three more floors at Limerick’s Gardens International

AIRCRAFT leasing firm Nordic Aviation Capital (NAC) is to occupy almost all of the Gardens International complex, it was confirmed this week.

The firm has extended the lease it signed with Limerick Twenty Thirty last year from occupying 51% of the complex, to over 90% of the facility, which measures 112,000 square foot.

www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/428851/ ... ional.html

---

Hedge fund Citadel raises short bet on Ryanair shares to €204m

www.independent.ie/business/irish/hedge ... 83760.html

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:49 am
by ei 168
Dublin Airport website has had a makeover.

https://www.dublinairport.com/

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:07 am
by BrianDromey
Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison said the new route will further grow tourism and trade between Ireland the US. “This is Aer Lingus’ 14th transatlantic route from Dublin Airport and its 11th new transatlantic route in the past five years.


The growth from Dublin over the Atlantic is staggering and looks set to continue. I think some of the more 'interesting' routes like BDL and MSP with limited transatlantic service might be pretty resilient in an economic shock, as competition is pretty limited and EI can maintain capacity discipline with the A321LR's. Exciting times ahead, I think.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:25 am
by dstc47
Yes the growth in transatlantic business ex DUB is truly amazing, as is the extent of transit traffic on EI, mostly to/from places that already have direct service to/from JFK.

Incidentally, it took almost two hours by taxi crawling from JFK to Times Sq area last week, with the outgoing traffic heading for JFK seeming to be even more congested. Perhaps better to take the train or allow a very large margin before departure.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:47 pm
by OA260
dstc47 wrote:
Yes the growth in transatlantic business ex DUB is truly amazing, as is the extent of transit traffic on EI, mostly to/from places that already have direct service to/from JFK.

Incidentally, it took almost two hours by taxi crawling from JFK to Times Sq area last week, with the outgoing traffic heading for JFK seeming to be even more congested. Perhaps better to take the train or allow a very large margin before departure.


More and more people I know are opting for EWR these days.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:36 pm
by Eitilt
The first A321LR is scheduled for delivery on 19th July, with 4 delivered before the end of the year.
Aer Lingus are hoping to do a flypast at the Bray Airshow with the first scheduled flight will be to Bradley on 2nd August.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 pm
by Eagleboy
KIRFlyer wrote:
..........
I flew DUB-TLS-DUB last week with EI. Overall an uneventful flight. Few things of note:

I used Gate 335, which brings you over to that newish boarding facility. I felt like it was a slightly fancier version of Ryanair's prefab "warren", which they built off Pier D back in 2007. What is the shelf life of this Aer Lingus facility? All flights were heading to French destinations. Is it reserved solely for France?

The flight was grand, but the aircraft wasn't the cleanest. Same on the way back. it was filthy. I understand that there is only so much the crew can do at the destination with regard to cleanliness, but that was bad!..............

EI no longer employ cleaners for their aircraft. They rely on the crew collecting in any rubbish before landing. The crew do a quick security check after disembarkation but they are not given any time to clean. Indeed they are not able to as they do not have the supplies to do so (extra bags, gloves, wipes, spray etc)

EIBoston wrote:
...............................So if I understand correctly EI will have 7 A321LR and 6 A321XLR in it's fleet eventually. I assume all the 757's will go. Will the 3 A321's currently in use for non T/A routes also go? I see that EI also has some A330's coming in. Does that mean the older A332's will be moved along? Ending up with something like 13 A321's and 10 A330's?

8 A321LRs on order, delivery of 3 this year to replace B757s. Delivery of a 4th in march to replace the last B757.
4 more delivery next summer for expansion.
6 XLRs ordered for delivery 2022-23. Expect those to serve Chicago and/or similar ranged airports.
So total currently planned narrowbodies for TA routes will be 14 by 2023.
Add to that the current A330 is 13, that will raise to 15/16 by next Summer. 2 new builds are on order for delivery before Q2 2020. And there is a rumour about 2nd hand A333s from Jet Airways (Im not sure this will happen, prob too much of a stretch for the human resources at the saem time as the A321LR expansion)

At some point in the next 18 months I expect to see an EI order for A320/321neos and/or A330neos.


alexdelzotto1 wrote:
Does anyone know if EI actually intends to re-launch YUL for S20?

I thought the launch had merely been pushed from Augiest 19 to Maarch 20?

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:33 am
by eirflot
Eagleboy - when ypu say EI employ no cleaners are you referring to out stations or DUB too? I gave seen that the aircraft ate.more often dirty inside than not but surely no cleaning would be a health hazard?
No doubt EI would accept that as a managable risk!!!

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:26 am
by opticalilyushin
Does anyone know what the last route to use the ASL 757 will likely be?

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:24 pm
by Eagleboy
eirflot wrote:
Eagleboy - when ypu say EI employ no cleaners are you referring to out stations or DUB too? I gave seen that the aircraft ate.more often dirty inside than not but surely no cleaning would be a health hazard?
No doubt EI would accept that as a managable risk!!!

About 3-4 years ago EI changed their A320 cleaning requirements in an attempt to improve shorthaul turnaround times. At Dublin and outstations cleaners come onboard to empty the waste bins and carts only. Each aircraft then gets an overnight clean when back in Dublin/Shannon or Cork.
A330s and B757s do get cleaned after each sector.


In terms of the A321LR, I though it was only 3 deliveries this year. Open to correction on that of course!
I posted the MSNs in the last Irish thread.
Looks like MSP will be that last B757 route. 3 of the B757s will have left the fleet before December this year, with 1 scheduled to remain in service till March 2020.
Im making an assumption that it will remain on the DUB-MSP route untill they upguage to an A330.

DUB-BDL looks to be the first A321LR route from early August, with an B757 scheduled to leave at the end of August.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:31 pm
by LAXffDUB
Delta's website showing #177 diverted to JFK, before it even departed, and then continuing on to ATL. Anybody know what's up?

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:44 pm
by ClassicLover
Eagleboy wrote:
EI no longer employ cleaners for their aircraft. They rely on the crew collecting in any rubbish before landing. The crew do a quick security check after disembarkation but they are not given any time to clean. Indeed they are not able to as they do not have the supplies to do so (extra bags, gloves, wipes, spray etc)


Which is easily seen, especially on return sectors. Both times recently my seat has been covered in crumbs from previous passengers scarfing down crisps of some sort. I mean, it's no real issue to wipe them onto the floor, but it doesn't look great. If people weren't such pigs, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but you know, humans.

All my recent EI flights (two DUB-AMS-DUB sectors and a DUB-MAN-DUB in the last month) have been delayed to one extent or another as well, which is annoying.

I didn't realise there was a "South Terminal". It's weird boarding onto a bus at gate 335 to be taken to the A, B, C, D, E gates further along, then boarding the aircraft after a little walk. Arriving there is also interesting as you go on a tour right around Terminal 2 to get off not too far from where you start.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:08 pm
by JAmie2k9
After lasts week's headlines about the LIS-ORK cancellation there have been at least two cancellations since. One where media outlets have tried to make another non story out of a cancellation.

This was CDG-DUB (22.00) on Thursday night

She told Dublin Live: "We were told that airport staff had accidentally damaged the plane attaching the stairs as we were about to get on. "We were made stand at the boarding gate until 3am before they made the decision to put us up in a hotel. "The last update we heard was that they had fixed the aeroplane and that there was a chance that we might travel home using the same aircraft. "Everyone is exhausted and Christopher is getting really tired now."

Aer Lingus immediately put passengers up in a hotel following the ordeal and she was extremely pleased with their service. "Aer Lingus were brilliant and did everything they could to facilitate the stranded passengers."

Michelle and her family are to leave Paris on Friday evening making it 19 hours since they were originally due to jet home. We were forced to leave the hotel shortly after 11am on Friday morning and there's no flight until 5:30pm local time. So, we'll be waiting around for another couple of hours before we get on the plane."

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... 1561207066

LIN-DUB was cancelled yesterday and all passengers were provided with hotel accommodation.
.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:10 pm
by JAmie2k9
Eagleboy wrote:
KIRFlyer wrote:
..........
I flew DUB-TLS-DUB last week with EI. Overall an uneventful flight. Few things of note:

I used Gate 335, which brings you over to that newish boarding facility. I felt like it was a slightly fancier version of Ryanair's prefab "warren", which they built off Pier D back in 2007. What is the shelf life of this Aer Lingus facility? All flights were heading to French destinations. Is it reserved solely for France?

The flight was grand, but the aircraft wasn't the cleanest. Same on the way back. it was filthy. I understand that there is only so much the crew can do at the destination with regard to cleanliness, but that was bad!..............

EI no longer employ cleaners for their aircraft. They rely on the crew collecting in any rubbish before landing. The crew do a quick security check after disembarkation but they are not given any time to clean. Indeed they are not able to as they do not have the supplies to do so (extra bags, gloves, wipes, spray etc)

EIBoston wrote:
...............................So if I understand correctly EI will have 7 A321LR and 6 A321XLR in it's fleet eventually. I assume all the 757's will go. Will the 3 A321's currently in use for non T/A routes also go? I see that EI also has some A330's coming in. Does that mean the older A332's will be moved along? Ending up with something like 13 A321's and 10 A330's?

8 A321LRs on order, delivery of 3 this year to replace B757s. Delivery of a 4th in march to replace the last B757.
4 more delivery next summer for expansion.
6 XLRs ordered for delivery 2022-23. Expect those to serve Chicago and/or similar ranged airports.
So total currently planned narrowbodies for TA routes will be 14 by 2023.
Add to that the current A330 is 13, that will raise to 15/16 by next Summer. 2 new builds are on order for delivery before Q2 2020. And there is a rumour about 2nd hand A333s from Jet Airways (Im not sure this will happen, prob too much of a stretch for the human resources at the saem time as the A321LR expansion)

At some point in the next 18 months I expect to see an EI order for A320/321neos and/or A330neos.


alexdelzotto1 wrote:
Does anyone know if EI actually intends to re-launch YUL for S20?

I thought the launch had merely been pushed from Augiest 19 to Maarch 20?


I believe there has been a few changes to 2020 plans in the last few weeks concerning new routes and YUL is expected to resume but probally May/June.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:22 pm
by aerdingus
Two weeks ago I did my MAD DUB flight on the ET B789 (ET-AUO). It was great, the plane was beautiful, cabin crew fab, good communication from the flight deck. I was given a little omelette with sausage, scone, bun, fruit cup, orange juice and coffee. The crew were especially great with a 12 yr old Spanish unaccompanied minor. The flight was not full at all, I had the whole row to myself, delighted. I didn't think the entertainment section was that great, maybe the music was the best part, but I usually just use the map, look out the window or read.

I also flew on IB Express's A320 EC-LYM, DUB MAD during the week and was pleasantly surprised...I was expecting a Ryanair operation...I picked an exit row for free and brought a backpack and carryon no problem! Crew's English wasn't fantastic but it was understood to read the safety card! Flight wasn't that full, downgauged from A321 to A320. My only thing about Iberia, not sure about Iberia Express is that they don't accept debit cards onboard, only credit cards.

Our approach into MAD was turbulent, with turns around a huge cloud, and also wildfires were visible. Looking forward to my flight back on Wednesday!

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:23 pm
by OA260
ClassicLover wrote:
Eagleboy wrote:
EI no longer employ cleaners for their aircraft. They rely on the crew collecting in any rubbish before landing. The crew do a quick security check after disembarkation but they are not given any time to clean. Indeed they are not able to as they do not have the supplies to do so (extra bags, gloves, wipes, spray etc)


Which is easily seen, especially on return sectors. Both times recently my seat has been covered in crumbs from previous passengers scarfing down crisps of some sort. I mean, it's no real issue to wipe them onto the floor, but it doesn't look great. If people weren't such pigs, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but you know, humans.



Ive seen kids drop half a bag of crisps on the cabin floor and their parents have seen it and not even commented or attempted to clear it up. The scum bags of tomorrow !!

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:39 pm
by aerdingus
OA260 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
Eagleboy wrote:
EI no longer employ cleaners for their aircraft. They rely on the crew collecting in any rubbish before landing. The crew do a quick security check after disembarkation but they are not given any time to clean. Indeed they are not able to as they do not have the supplies to do so (extra bags, gloves, wipes, spray etc)


Which is easily seen, especially on return sectors. Both times recently my seat has been covered in crumbs from previous passengers scarfing down crisps of some sort. I mean, it's no real issue to wipe them onto the floor, but it doesn't look great. If people weren't such pigs, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but you know, humans.



Ive seen kids drop half a bag of crisps on the cabin floor and their parents have seen it and not even commented or attempted to clear it up. The scum bags of tomorrow !!


Oh yeah I've seen it all, literally a competition to see how much they can wreck a cabin.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 pm
by OA260
aerdingus wrote:
Two weeks ago I did my MAD DUB flight on the ET B789 (ET-AUO). It was great, the plane was beautiful, cabin crew fab, good communication from the flight deck. I was given a little omelette with sausage, scone, bun, fruit cup, orange juice and coffee. The crew were especially great with a 12 yr old Spanish unaccompanied minor. The flight was not full at all, I had the whole row to myself, delighted. I didn't think the entertainment section was that great, maybe the music was the best part, but I usually just use the map, look out the window or read.

I also flew on IB Express's A320 EC-LYM, DUB MAD during the week and was pleasantly surprised...I was expecting a Ryanair operation...I picked an exit row for free and brought a backpack and carryon no problem! Crew's English wasn't fantastic but it was understood to read the safety card! Flight wasn't that full, downgauged from A321 to A320. My only thing about Iberia, not sure about Iberia Express is that they don't accept debit cards onboard, only credit cards.

Our approach into MAD was turbulent, with turns around a huge cloud, and also wildfires were visible. Looking forward to my flight back on Wednesday!



Glad you had a good flight with ET. Nice they gave you a decent meal its a great route to try although just wish the timings were more friendly Ex DUB although understand the reasons why.

Iberia Express is a decent enough product I have never had a bad flight with them. Admit the legroom is tight so you certainly did the right thing by selecting Exit as that makes a difference. I mostly fly them in Biz and find their catering pretty decent. Its one thing I was hoping Aer Space would offer a dedicated catering but that might happen in future.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 am
by RRTrent
JAmie2k9 wrote:
The slot was assigned on the basis of a narrow body, the A340 was a very late addition to the schedule. It's only once a week at a peak time for wide body operations so getting your preferred stand isn't guaranteed.


Dunno about that.. Ive known for several months that the A340 would be used once a week, LH published it about the time the summer schedule was finalized I believe (I'm open to correction as to exactly when it was announced).

However I absolutely agree this doesn't mean they'll get the stand they want but the addition for the 340 wasn't late. Truth be told its poor planning on the part of DUB if a civvie like me knew an A340 would be coming yet they didn't.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 am
by BrianDromey
aerdingus wrote:

Oh yeah I've seen it all, literally a competition to see how much they can wreck a cabin.


The condition of the cabin after short sectors like Ireland-UK never fails to astonish. Some rows look like the Tasmanian Devil has been swiftly followed by a tropical storm. Is this how people behave at home?

It’s a pride and appearance thing - it’s not a health hazard, even if it looks terrible. The exception would be bodily fluids such as vomit - do EI really not supply any cleaning materials for this? Vomit and bodily fluid is, technically, a biohazard.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 am
by EI121
Record June At Dublin Airport With 3.2 Million Passengers

More than 3.2 million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport in June, which was a 4% increase on the same month last year.

The increase in passenger numbers made it the busiest June in the airport’s 79 year history.

The number of passengers travelling to and from continental Europe grew by 5% as more than 1.7 million passengers took flights to and from European destinations last month.

UK traffic increased by 1% when compared to June last year as almost 879,000 passengers flew to and from the UK.

Transatlantic traffic increased by 5%, with over 469,000 passengers travelling between Dublin and North America last month.

Other international traffic, which includes flights to the Middle East and North Africa and the Asia Pacific region grew by 4% as 95,000 passengers travelled to and from these destinations in June.

The number of passengers on domestic flights declined by 19% in June, with over 9,500 people taking flights within the Republic of Ireland last month.

More than15.5 million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport in the first six months of the year, representing a 6% increase on the same period last year.

Dublin Airport has welcomed almost 875,000 additional passengers in the first six months of the year.

Almost 846,000 passengers chose Dublin Airport as a gateway to connect onward to another destination between January and June, a 12% increase when compared to the same period last year.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... passengers

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 am
by eirflot
Are you really surprised by people's behaviour? There is bad behaviour every where and it is certainly not decreasing!

If you have 180 people in a pressurised tube and you have 2, 3 or 4 rotations a day then there is certainly a strong possibility of a health hazard , every day!

When EI announced a beand refresh i noted that it would only be sucessful if the airline and all it's staff had pride in the brand. There is little point in providing new uniforms if the staff do not make the effort

The EI lounge is a perfect example of the half assed approach!

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 am
by OA260
Interesting times ahead . From an interview with the new CEO .


“The airline’s new CEO is Mark Anderson, formerly the managing director of Virgin Holidays.
Anderson commented: “On behalf of Connect Airways, I couldn’t be more excited by the opportunity we have to build a strong platform in the UK and to grow our franchise flying operation in Ireland.”

www.businesstraveller.com/business-trav ... -approved/

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:04 pm
by alancostello
BrianDromey wrote:
aerdingus wrote:

Oh yeah I've seen it all, literally a competition to see how much they can wreck a cabin.


The condition of the cabin after short sectors like Ireland-UK never fails to astonish. Some rows look like the Tasmanian Devil has been swiftly followed by a tropical storm. Is this how people behave at home?

It’s a pride and appearance thing - it’s not a health hazard, even if it looks terrible. The exception would be bodily fluids such as vomit - do EI really not supply any cleaning materials for this? Vomit and bodily fluid is, technically, a biohazard.


I once saw a guy across the aisle on a return flight to DUB tip over a bag of Burger King food as he was sitting down, a compete burger and fries, the burger essentially disintegrated into it's constituent parts and the fries were scattered on the floor, and he made ZERO attempt to clean it up, even standing on it for most of the journey home so by the time we reached DUB it was well and truly mashed in to the carpets.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm
by Eagleboy
BrianDromey wrote:
aerdingus wrote:
.....................
It’s a pride and appearance thing - it’s not a health hazard, even if it looks terrible. The exception would be bodily fluids such as vomit - do EI really not supply any cleaning materials for this? Vomit and bodily fluid is, technically, a biohazard.

There is a bio-hazard containment bag on each flight. Crew would use it in the case of someone being sick or injured and bleeding.
But this is not for use for cleaning on turnaround as such.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:39 pm
by kaitak
OA260 wrote:
Interesting times ahead . From an interview with the new CEO .


“The airline’s new CEO is Mark Anderson, formerly the managing director of Virgin Holidays.
Anderson commented: “On behalf of Connect Airways, I couldn’t be more excited by the opportunity we have to build a strong platform in the UK and to grow our franchise flying operation in Ireland.”

http://www.businesstraveller.com/busine ... -approved/


Well, I guess as CEO, he has to sound enthusiastic. He can hardly say, "well, folks, I'm the latest in a long line of people hired to put lipstick on a pig."

I do hope they'll be a success, because lots of smaller communities (including Jersey, where I used to live) rely on them, but they have some hard questions to ask themselves about what they want to be and what kind of aircraft they want to use. The big challenge will be hitting on a sustainable model, not flitting from one idea to another, as they've been doing for quite a while.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 am
by OA260
Aer Lingus pilots back going on strike over rostering

Aer Lingus pilots have overwhelmingly backed industrial action in an 'indicative' ballot over rostering.

Sources revealed that over 90pc of the airline's Irish Air Line Pilots' Association (Ialpa) members indicated that they were prepared to go on strike.

A confidential Ialpa note sent to the pilots said the indicative ballot for industrial action was carried out as a result of issues relating to rostering, crew control and "general under resourcing" at the airline.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/aer ... 94755.html

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:59 am
by eirflot
I wonder which of rostering crew control or general under resourcing actually spells money!
And just before the arrival of the new A321!!!!

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:14 am
by eidvm
eirflot wrote:
I wonder which of rostering crew control or general under resourcing actually spells money!
And just before the arrival of the new A321!!!!


Well given all the cancellations last summer due to the lack of pilots I think in this case “general under resourcing” may actually mean just that, exactly what it says on the tin. :lol:

Last summer was very poor from what I remember, with a long number of weeks of cancellations purely down to lack of pilots, particularly on the Atlantic with all those times the 757 had to be brought up from Shannon to cover a Dublin flight because there weren’t enough 330 pilots, so while I’d normally be inclined to think this would be a union chancing it’s arm for more money, in this particular case I’d actually believe them that they’re short of staff. Particularly given what has been said on here about everything being cut back to the bone in the last 7-8 years.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am
by OA260
New satellite air traffic surveillance system in Clare

Cathy Halloran
A new satellite-based air traffic surveillance system - the first of its kind in the world - which will accurately pinpoint the location of any aircraft in distress, has been launched at the Irish Aviation Authority's control centre at Ballygirreen near Shannon in Co Clare.

The new 'Aireon Alert' technology is the first global aircraft tracking service providing real time aircraft visibility anywhere in the world.

www.rte.ie/news/regional/2019/0709/1060 ... t-shannon/

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 am
by LH982
Going back to the discussion on the 100 gates in Dublin, were they built with the option of adding air bridges later?

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:33 am
by kaitak
My understanding is that they were always intended to be contact stands only; never heard anything about the likelihood or intention of adding airbridges at a later date. For one thing, it was always anticipated that they would be (mostly) for FR ops and there's no way they would/will pay any premium for the use of an airbridge.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 am
by shamrock604
LH982 wrote:
Going back to the discussion on the 100 gates in Dublin, were they built with the option of adding air bridges later?


Yes, they were. If you look at the front elevation of the Pier, you can see where the nodes for the air bridges can be installed at each gate.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 pm
by EI321
Adding a few piers to the 100s stands that are closest to terminal 1 would definitely help.

They really need to get more pier space built though, I think a cut and cover tunnel with travellators to a remote pier parrallel to the new runway would be very possible from an engineering point of view (and seems to be similar to the latest proposal), along with a third terminal where the dublin aerospace hangars are as much of the roads infrastructure is already there. Would be also close to the single metro station if it is ever actually built. New hangars would need to be built where the current cargo aircraft park but hangars are quicker to build.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm
by alancostello
EI321 wrote:
Adding a few piers to the 100s stands that are closest to terminal 1 would definitely help.

They really need to get more pier space built though, I think a cut and cover tunnel with travellators to a remote pier parrallel to the new runway would be very possible from an engineering point of view (and seems to be similar to the latest proposal), along with a third terminal where the dublin aerospace hangars are as much of the roads infrastructure is already there. Would be also close to the single metro station if it is ever actually built. New hangars would need to be built where the current cargo aircraft park but hangars are quicker to build.


Is the plan not supposed to be toaster-rack style piers out between the two runways similar to what LHR is doing?

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 pm
by eirflot
Has anyone told the DAA that its possible?
It is hard to find any decent attempt at a flow concept - they seem determined to create bottleknecks for both people and aircraft!!

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm
by AmricanShamrok
alancostello wrote:
EI321 wrote:
Adding a few piers to the 100s stands that are closest to terminal 1 would definitely help.

They really need to get more pier space built though, I think a cut and cover tunnel with travellators to a remote pier parrallel to the new runway would be very possible from an engineering point of view (and seems to be similar to the latest proposal), along with a third terminal where the dublin aerospace hangars are as much of the roads infrastructure is already there. Would be also close to the single metro station if it is ever actually built. New hangars would need to be built where the current cargo aircraft park but hangars are quicker to build.


Is the plan not supposed to be toaster-rack style piers out between the two runways similar to what LHR is doing?

I don't think that was ever the plan. As far as I know, the last masterplan publication showed revamping and extending out the existing piers 2 and 3 and then adding a pier 5 to the east of pier 4. Can't find it online now which is annoying.

The IALPA has been lobbying for a new pier to the west of Runway 16/34, connected to the existing terminals via underground tunnels (see Annex A):
https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/ ... /IALPA.pdf

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 am
by alancostello
AmricanShamrok wrote:
I don't think that was ever the plan. As far as I know, the last masterplan publication showed revamping and extending out the existing piers 2 and 3 and then adding a pier 5 to the east of pier 4. Can't find it online now which is annoying.



I remember seeing that a good while ago but thought it had been replaced by an updated plan (that I swear was only released in the last few months), with no extensions to 2/3 but including a new midfield terminal out near where the cargo planes park currently. I think the document also had the planned footprint of the expanded USCBP, I'll have another look.

EDIT: Found it, page 104 https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/2019%20Determination/Dublin%20Airport%20Consultation%20-%20CIP%202020%20.pdf

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:43 am
by LH982
shamrock604 wrote:
LH982 wrote:
Going back to the discussion on the 100 gates in Dublin, were they built with the option of adding air bridges later?


Yes, they were. If you look at the front elevation of the Pier, you can see where the nodes for the air bridges can be installed at each gate.


Thanks everyone. I had a vague recollection that they would be upgradeable. It might be a good idea for the DAA to upgrade at least some of the widebody stands, as the 1xx gates are now used in much the same way as the 3xx gates.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 am
by dstc47
And the walk to the furthest gate in that proposed midfield terminal (and it would be a walk some of the time anyhow, given that the moving walkways break down or don't run all the way) would be just about as long as a stroll on the main runway from end to end. Just the thing to set you up for the day or welcome you home .

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am
by LH982
dstc47 wrote:
And the walk to the furthest gate in that proposed midfield terminal (and it would be a walk some of the time anyhow, given that the moving walkways break down or don't run all the way) would be just about as long as a stroll on the main runway from end to end. Just the thing to set you up for the day or welcome you home .


It would be similar to the walkways between piers in Frankfurt, but longer. Some kind of light rail like T5 at LHR or many US hubs would be a much better solution.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:10 am
by OA260
dstc47 wrote:
And the walk to the furthest gate in that proposed midfield terminal (and it would be a walk some of the time anyhow, given that the moving walkways break down or don't run all the way) would be just about as long as a stroll on the main runway from end to end. Just the thing to set you up for the day or welcome you home .


Thats the cost of expansion. More flights , more passengers , more gates. I think the benefits outweigh the down sides though.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:22 am
by JAmie2k9
LH982 wrote:
shamrock604 wrote:
LH982 wrote:
Going back to the discussion on the 100 gates in Dublin, were they built with the option of adding air bridges later?


Yes, they were. If you look at the front elevation of the Pier, you can see where the nodes for the air bridges can be installed at each gate.


Thanks everyone. I had a vague recollection that they would be upgradeable. It might be a good idea for the DAA to upgrade at least some of the widebody stands, as the 1xx gates are now used in much the same way as the 3xx gates.


Apart from West Jet 787 (300 gates not full at scheduled time) and the odd Air Canada there is no scheduled wide bodies from 100 gates so not sure there is a case for adding an air bridge. 100 gates can handle wide bodies however it was designed as narrow body pier up to Code C aircraft.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:23 am
by OA260
Ireland's airport funding: the future of regional airports

Regional airports have a role to play in most countries but they are often undervalued. Ireland has more of those airports than most, for its small population, but they consistently live in the shadow of Dublin Airport, which punches well over its weight.

The government has offered support to four small regional airports, one of which, Waterford, has no commercial services and was in real danger of closing down.

The question is why European banks such as the EIB and EBRD are not playing their part, while one of those organisations is granting loan money at Dublin Airport which, comparatively speaking, is not in such great need of it.

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... rts-479862

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:49 pm
by dstc47
" The question is why European banks such as the EIB and EBRD are not playing their part, while one of those organisations is granting loan money at Dublin Airport which, comparatively speaking, is not in such great need of it."

The EBRD, whose initial focus was the reconstruction of Eastern Europe, does not lend to Ireland.

The EIB could loan to a regional airport, but the amounts they might seek might be too small to warrant their interest. Often their funds are on offer through arrangements/facilities with local banks, typically AIB in the past, or the lending would not meet their lending criteria. (Make no sense in terms of responsible lending, lots of regional airport spending shows no hope of being self financing and depends on periodic state cash bailouts.) They would also seek a Government guarantee.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 pm
by EI321
I see the Lufthansa A330 that came in today was again put at the furthest gate possible from Terminal 1.

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:38 am
by alancostello
EI321 wrote:
I see the Lufthansa A330 that came in today was again put at the furthest gate possible from Terminal 1.


And you can expect it to be there for the rest of the summer unless a more favourable stand is available at the allocated time. It's a once a week temporary service adjustment, what do you expect?

Re: Irish 7/19

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:42 am
by LH982
JAmie2k9 wrote:
LH982 wrote:
shamrock604 wrote:

Yes, they were. If you look at the front elevation of the Pier, you can see where the nodes for the air bridges can be installed at each gate.


Thanks everyone. I had a vague recollection that they would be upgradeable. It might be a good idea for the DAA to upgrade at least some of the widebody stands, as the 1xx gates are now used in much the same way as the 3xx gates.


Apart from West Jet 787 (300 gates not full at scheduled time) and the odd Air Canada there is no scheduled wide bodies from 100 gates so not sure there is a case for adding an air bridge. 100 gates can handle wide bodies however it was designed as narrow body pier up to Code C aircraft.


Maybe I have phrased it badly. The 100 and 200 gates were set up for low cost and commuter business. While this may still be their prime function, they now find themselves home to legacy/full service carriers on a daily basis. Most of these carriers would have traditionally used the 300 gates, but there is more demand than capacity for these gates.

On Tuesday morning we had Tui(788), Evelop and Transat on the 100s. Across the 100/200 stands were also Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish and BA; all traditional airbridge users.

Prior to any new piers or terminal, which no doubt are years away, the DAA could improve the situation by bringing at least some of the 100 gates up to the same level as the 300s. It would relieve pressure on the 300s and might be a better home for the likes of LH, who are constantly hopping piers.