Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RAGAZZO777
Topic Author

Vancouver Airport and Lima Airport meet to discuss direct flights

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:20 pm

It has been reported that Carl Jones, Director of Air Service Development at YVR, was in talks with Lima Airport Partners executives last week.

Both Air Canada and LATAM have reportedly been contacted as well to discuss the possibility of launching non-stop flights between Vancouver and Lima.

Sources:

https://centreforaviation.com/news/vancouver-airport-and-lima-airport-meet-to-discuss-direct-connectivity-for-2h2020-915355
https://gestion.pe/economia/vuelos-directos-lima-vancouver-canada-empezarian-2020-271076 (In Spanish)
JESÚS, TE AMO !!

steveinbc

Re: Vancouver Airport and Lima Airport meet to discuss direct flights

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:46 pm

South America is a surprisingly unserved market from YVR. The excellent range of destinations via most US hubs would be the primary competition I'd guess. Lima seems an odd first choice given there's no obvious Peruvian community in Vancouver nor any obvious mining or other industry synergy. Good luck though. Would love to see LATAM in YVR.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

LOT767301ER

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:52 pm

It has been reported that Carl Jones, Director of Air Service Development at YVR, was in talks with Lima Airport Partners executives last week.

Both Air Canada and LATAM have reportedly been contacted as well to discuss the possibility of launching non-stop flights between Vancouver and Lima.

Sources:

They dont even know what they want, direct or non-stop flights...

LAXdude1023

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:54 pm

steveinbc wrote:
South America is a surprisingly unserved market from YVR. The excellent range of destinations via most US hubs would be the primary competition I'd guess. Lima seems an odd first choice given there's no obvious Peruvian community in Vancouver nor any obvious mining or other industry synergy. Good luck though. Would love to see LATAM in YVR.

There is a reason. The market isnt that big and its inconvenient geographically. I suppose they could market it as a connecting point to Asia, but YYZ covers it pretty well for connections through Canada. I guess its the same reason MIA is unserved to Asia.
Last edited by LAXdude1023 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Ishrion

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:55 pm

That could probably drive a good amount of Asia traffic to connect in YVR for South America.

x1234

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:01 pm

First as said Air Canada uses YYZ as a Asia-Latin America hub and also YVR for Mexico (YVR-MEX carries a lot of Asia connections). Second Mexican citizens have VISA FREE access to Canada which drives up the traffic. For Chile, its in the USA Visa Waiver Program so they simply go via the USA (LAX/JFK). The fastest route from SCL is actually via AKL/MEL/SYD but the South Pacific crossing from South America to Australia/NZ is more expensive on LATAM/Qantas/AirNZ but I've noticed it has gotten cheaper lately ($1100 USD round-trip on SCL-MEL/AKL/SYD on LATAM). Finally the market is not there, there's barely any Latin Americas in Canada and the majority are concentrated in YYZ & YUL and the ones that are in YVR are from Mexico not deep South America.

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:48 pm

steveinbc wrote:
South America is a surprisingly unserved market from YVR. The excellent range of destinations via most US hubs would be the primary competition I'd guess.

It's mostly par for the course... even LAX, by easily the premier intercon gateway for western N.America, has very limited service to S.America; SFO even less so, and SEA none at all.

Primary O&D demand to S.America is Florida and New York City, with easy cnnx via Texas and Atlanta due to geography.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

EvanWSFO

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Seems there isn't much demand. I wonder if it would work on rouge, maybe 3x a week?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

LAXdude1023

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:09 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Seems there isn't much demand. I wonder if it would work on rouge, maybe 3x a week?

SFO-LIM, a market with much more demand, failed. I don’t see how this is a good idea at all.

EvanWSFO

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

SFO-LIM, a market with much more demand, failed. I don’t see how this is a good idea at all.

Probably not. Even in the CP Air days it stopped at MEX, and was maybe twice a week.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

abrelosojos

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:35 pm

RAGAZZO777 wrote:

Sources:

https://centreforaviation.com/news/vancouver-airport-and-lima-airport-meet-to-discuss-direct-connectivity-for-2h2020-915355
https://gestion.pe/economia/vuelos-directos-lima-vancouver-canada-empezarian-2020-271076 (In Spanish)

= Well, Carl Jones is one of the biggest industry jokes out there. Selfish and opportunistic, I wonder how long he can actually last at YVR airport. Good luck with having AC or LA make this route work.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

YYZORD

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:55 am

I think YVR-SCL is more likely honestly because the pax would be bigger as Chileans would not need a visa to transit in Canada. That is a route that AC can focus on in connecting them to Asia and compete with Australia/New Zealand routes.

mauro10

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 am

I am skeptical too... It does not seem to be a big market and there are also some options with short connections with AA via DFW, UA via IAH and AM via MEX.

For South America, I think a YVR-GRU flight with AC is more likely, they are already trying seasonal YUL-GRU this year(together with their year-round YYZ-GRU), perhaps if it doesn't work they might change this flight to YVR.

But if this LIM-YVR happens, it would certainly be Rouge... YYZ-LIM is a Rouge route. I don't see LA doing this, if they go forward with the JV with AA (even without Chile) I see this making zero sense for LA, since AA has the shortest connection already in this route

AY104

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:47 am

In the 80s CPAir had a flight Vancouver - Lima - Santiago - Buenos Aires. Flight 423/424 in this "Flight Servides" guide in the 1981 timetable. Unfortunately, the entire timetable isn't posted: http://timetableimages.com/i-bc/cp8104i.jpg
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

longhauler

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm

If one pulls out Great Circle Mapper, you’d see that with various combinations from South America to Asia, routings through YYZ are not much further than through YVR. And .... in some cases, shorter. The greatest difference is noted on the west side of South America, like SCL and LIM, and even still, around 200 miles.

With excellent connections from YVR to YYZ to South America, Air Canada likely already knows how feasible a direct flight from YVR would be.

CPAir had flights from NRT/HKG through MEX/LIM and south mostly due to range limitations of aircraft at the time. They also had connecting flights timed out of YYZ to MEX and LIM for destinations further south. With the advent of Asia to YYZ and YYZ to Deep South America flights, traffic now greater reflects demand.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:37 pm

YYZORD wrote:
I think YVR-SCL is more likely honestly because the pax would be bigger as Chileans would not need a visa to transit in Canada. That is a route that AC can focus on in connecting them to Asia and compete with Australia/New Zealand routes.

So, what are the PDEWs SCL-YVR and SCL-TYO/ICN/PVG/PEK...? Just how many Asia-bound Chileans are there on a regular basis?

raylee67

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:21 pm

It would serve Asia connections well. Connecting via LAX is not convenient due to the visa requirement. The distance is 8100km. Can it be done by an A321XLR? Seems marginal but not impossible. It probably isn't that difficult to have 150+ pax 4 or 5 days a week connecting to Lima from all across Asia.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

LAXdude1023

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:31 pm

YYZORD wrote:

Who in their right mind would fly SCL-YVR-SYD/AKL when there is a nonstop available and it’s over 6,000 miles out of the way?

LAXdude1023

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:32 pm

raylee67 wrote:
It would serve Asia connections well. Connecting via LAX is not convenient due to the visa requirement. The distance is 8100km. Can it be done by an A321XLR? Seems marginal but not impossible. It probably isn't that difficult to have 150+ pax 4 or 5 days a week connecting to Lima from all across Asia.

And why doesn’t YYZ work just fine for this?

x1234

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:38 pm

LAXdude1023, he means flying from South America to Asia via Australia/NZ. SCL-SYD/AKL-HKG/HND/NRT/SIN is currently the fastest route from Western South America. GRU-DXB/JNB/MAD/FRA/CDG/LHR-HND/NRT/HKG/SIN is currently the fastest route in terms of flying time from Eastern South America. From Central America it is faster to go via MEX which has non-stops to NRT, ICN, PVG & PEK on AM, NH & HU. You can also go to NRT via MEX (GRU-MEX-NRT) which is the fastest via MEX as the west-bound is non-stop (weight restricted due to MEX elevation).

raylee67

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:50 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
raylee67 wrote:

And why doesn’t YYZ work just fine for this?

YYZ works, but it has less connections to Asia, e.g. AC doesn't fly to TPE, KIX, NGO, etc. directly from YYZ. While they individually may not provide a lot of pax for LIM, they may add up. There are also other Asian carriers flying into YVR that doesn't fly into YYZ.

More importantly, the current schedule of AC's YYZ-LIM service seems to be not coordinated with Asia flight arrivals, so it seems connecting with Asia flights is not something AC has in mind when putting in the YYZ-LIM service. e.g.
YYZ > LIM departs YYZ at 6pm
HKG > YYZ arrives YYZ at 615pm
HND > YYZ arrives YYZ at 445pm
PVG > YYZ arrives YYZ at 710pm
PEK > YYZ arrives YYZ at 7pm
ICN > YYZ arrives YYZ at 635pm

This means that only HND > YYZ can connect to LIM, and even that is a very tight connection. Any delay of the incoming flight and you will miss the outgoing one.

YYZ may cater better for connection from Europe.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

YYZORD

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:02 pm

If you read my post properly, I said YVR-SCL would compete with AKL/SYD-SCL for Asia flights. SCL-YVR-NRT/HND vs SCL-AKL/SYD-NRT-HND.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Who in their right mind would fly SCL-YVR-SYD/AKL when there is a nonstop available and it’s over 6,000 miles out of the way?

sassiciai

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:15 pm

I find it amusing that there is no airline flying this route, so the 2 airports get together and have a chat about opening a route.

Since when did airport operators actually operate flights? Maybe they should focus on operating their respective airports, and leave the routes up to the airlines!

Jayce

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:53 pm

sassiciai wrote:
I find it amusing that there is no airline flying this route, so the 2 airports get together and have a chat about opening a route.

Since when did airport operators actually operate flights? Maybe they should focus on operating their respective airports, and leave the routes up to the airlines!

Most major airports have a route development team that tries to secure new airlines and/or destinations.

What about a one stop SCL-LIM-YVR or similar on LATAM or AC? Interestingly, WestJet had YVR-LIM, SCL and EZE on their 787 potential route map. Though I suspect that would be many years away, if ever.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

yulexpansion

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:27 pm

mauro10 wrote:
I am skeptical too... It does not seem to be a big market and there are also some options with short connections with AA via DFW, UA via IAH and AM via MEX.

For South America, I think a YVR-GRU flight with AC is more likely, they are already trying seasonal YUL-GRU this year(together with their year-round YYZ-GRU), perhaps if it doesn't work they might change this flight to YVR.

But if this LIM-YVR happens, it would certainly be Rouge... YYZ-LIM is a Rouge route. I don't see LA doing this, if they go forward with the JV with AA (even without Chile) I see this making zero sense for LA, since AA has the shortest connection already in this route

AC does not have Rouge crew bases on the West coast. It does not seem logical for them to get into this type of expansion. To rotate a Rouge 767 down to South America and then back to YYZ/YUL would be an operational headache.

jimbo737

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:19 am

Airports can talk all they want. It costs them nothing if an airline launches services, poops the bed and loses a couple million before cancelling service.

If YVR and Lima want n/s service, they need to fork out a $150k operating subsidy per r/t for the first 6 months of ops.

That might get the attention of the airlines, who actually incur the cost of operating the flights.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:40 pm

YYZORD wrote:
If you read my post properly, I said YVR-SCL would compete with AKL/SYD-SCL for Asia flights. SCL-YVR-NRT/HND vs SCL-AKL/SYD-NRT-HND.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Ok. Im sorry I misread your intent.

Its still a ridiculous route idea IMO. Canada requires a visa for Peruvians just as the US does. The EU does not. If they dont have those visas, its just as well to transit in CDG or AMS which offer decent connections to Asia.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm

1. AC flies to LIM for 2 reasons. O&D and cargo.

Enough with the "Asia connections" bit. That's not what AC is after. Or else they would have started YVR-LIM ahead of YUL-LIM.

2. How many destinations outside North America does AC fly to from all 3 of its main hubs? Can you see LIM being a part of that very short list ?

I don't.

3. LATAM has bigger fish to fry than YVR.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

7673mech

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm

steveinbc wrote:

There is a sizeable one in the greater Seattle area that would flock to use the service.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:15 pm

7673mech wrote:
steveinbc wrote:

There is a sizeable one in the greater Seattle area that would flock to use the service.

No, there isnt.

In 2017, these were the largest Peruvian communities in the US.

1. NYC MSA: 108,646 people
2. Miami MSA: 64,836 people
3. DC MSA: 37,543 people
4. Los Angeles MSA: 35,564 people
5. San Francisco MSA: 15,153 people
6. Orlando MSA: 8112 people
7. Houston MSA: 7761 people
8. Chicago MSA: 7675 people
9. Riverside, CA MSA: 7014 people
10. Dallas MSA: 6899 people
11. Boston MSA: 6262 people
12. Tampa MSA: 5970 people
13. Bridgeport, CT MSA: 5893 people
14. Atlanta MSA: 5698 people
15. Hartford, CT MSA: 5574 people

The greater Seattle area has 3,038.

YYZORD

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Yea that's why I recommended YVR-SCL, Chileans don't need a visa to come to Canada.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

LAXdude1023 wrote:

Its still a ridiculous route idea IMO. Canada requires a visa for Peruvians just as the US does. The EU does not. If they dont have those visas, its just as well to transit in CDG or AMS which offer decent connections to Asia.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:25 pm

YYZORD wrote:
Yea that's why I recommended YVR-SCL, Chileans don't need a visa to come to Canada.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Chileans don’t need a visa for the US either. If SCL-Secondary Asia was big, SCL-SFO would be better but it isn’t. Between YYZ, LAX, DFW, ATL, IAH, SYD, and the European carriers, SCL-Asia is fine.

RobertS975

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:22 pm

7673mech wrote:
steveinbc wrote:

SEA-LAX-LIM better option.

2travel2know2

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:37 am

By Which airline?
AC, LATAM?

LATAM LIM-SFO didn't work and that was a bigger market, however, it worked for CM PTY-SFO (up to thrice daily depending demand).

If the drive for such Western Canada - Peru flight is mining and oil, then YYC/YEG-LIM should be the route.

There's a demand for South America - YVR, but the best candidate for that route right now is CM B737MAX.
Too bad for YVR and CM, the Panama - Canada bilateral has no room for more scheduled frequencies between the countries. Not to mention the current B737MAX issues.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

RAGAZZO777
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:13 pm

So, against all odds, LATAM is about to announce its first non-stop route from South America ever: LIM-YVR-LIM

According to unofficial sources the route would be launched during the second half of 2020.
JESÚS, TE AMO !!

9252fly

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:30 pm

RAGAZZO777 wrote:
So, against all odds, LATAM is about to announce its first non-stop route from South America ever: LIM-YVR-LIM

According to unofficial sources the route would be launched during the second half of 2020.

I think you must mean first non-stop between South America and YVR, not sure if they tried YYZ in the past. When was the last time YVR had a non-stop flight to South America, I think CP Air operated that route back in the 1990's.

RAGAZZO777
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:57 pm

9252fly wrote:
RAGAZZO777 wrote:

I think you must mean first non-stop between South America and YVR, not sure if they tried YYZ in the past. When was the last time YVR had a non-stop flight to South America, I think CP Air operated that route back in the 1990's.

Yes, that's what I meant! Thanks.

Apparently LATAM Perú would operate the route with the 787-8 Dreamliner.
JESÚS, TE AMO !!

alan3

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:07 pm

Surprised COPA didn't already serve YVR to take advantage of their connections to South America. At the moment it's all via MEX if they can't connect through the US.

During the days of the TWOV program where they could just show up at airport as a TWOV, used to see a lot more Latin American connections through DFW/IAH/LAX but that's less possible now.
Last edited by alan3 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alan3

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:12 pm

9252fly wrote:
RAGAZZO777 wrote:

Indeed CP Air flew from YVR to Lima through 1970's (https://www.flickr.com/photos/erussell1984/32009184287) and right through the 1980's (http://www.departedflights.com/CP042785.html).

In fact they even had a crew base in Lima for a while who operated the onward sectors to Santiago and Buenos Aires.

Interesting that 30 and 40 years ago had better direct service to South America than today!

2travel2know2

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:23 am

alan3 wrote:
Surprised COPA didn't already serve YVR to take advantage of their connections to South America.
Very simple: 1 None of CM aircraft has the range for PTY-YVR and
2 CM is using all of Panama frequencies to Canada between YYZ and YUL.
Still passengers could fly to YYZ and connect with AC to YVR.

Surprised AV doesn't fly SAL-YVR yet, at least for LIM, that would be a good connection avoiding U.S. airports.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yulexpansion

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:08 am

RAGAZZO777 wrote:
9252fly wrote:
RAGAZZO777 wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant! Thanks.

Apparently LATAM Perú would operate the route with the 787-8 Dreamliner.

If this actually happens, LA would need WS feed in YVR to make this work, which is likely given they are codeshare partners and interline.
Not to mention that for South America, YVR provides circuitous connecting itineraries on top of having AM, AC, AA, UA, DL competing with established one-stop itineraries.

USAirALB

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:35 am

LATAM couldn't even make LIM-IAD or SFO work, both of which are larger metro areas with larger Peruvian populations. YVR isn't happening.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos