HP69

Re: Disney launching their own airline?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:49 pm

There is no way a hypothetical Disney Airlines will survive. MCO is too competitive of a market.

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:21 pm

WN732 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Which is of course, a complete misnomer, as both airports have airlines that specifically schedule connecting flights with calculated transfer flow, making them hubs in every sense of the word.

The only airline I would seriously consider to have any kind of hub at MCO is maybe B6, and a weak one at that.

Are you really forgetting WN's nearly 30% market share at MCO? Compared to JetBlue's almost 13%. Heck, even DL and AA beat B6 in MCO.

Well that, and NK operates an actual international scissor at MCO, feeding its domestic flights into 10 international destinations throughout Central America and the Caribbean, plus several domestic island destinations on top of that.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

WN732

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:24 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
WN732 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
The only airline I would seriously consider to have any kind of hub at MCO is maybe B6, and a weak one at that.

Are you really forgetting WN's nearly 30% market share at MCO? Compared to JetBlue's almost 13%. Heck, even DL and AA beat B6 in MCO.

Well that, and NK operates an actual international scissor at MCO, feeding its domestic flights into 10 international destinations throughout Central America and the Caribbean, plus several domestic island destinations on top of that.

I'm going to throw in one more bone lol. DL can also use MCO as a connection point to their partners at VS; I've seen that option show up on a few searches before. It's definitely got hub features, even though it's not really titled for anyone, which in reality is just semantics.

DL717

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Devilfish wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
They can buy the ex-LH 380's and fly MCO-CDG/TYO/HKG to connect the Disney hubs.

And name those Monstro, Willie, Kuzco, etc..... :bigthumbsup: .....

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dis ... 0715145257

https://jaysenheadleywrites.files.wordp ... -32-am.jpg

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... H1Rhp8xzEE

Oh man. You ruined it by unveiling the A380 livery. Damn you!

HP69 wrote:
There is no way a hypothetical Disney Airlines will survive. MCO is too competitive of a market.

DL actually did pretty darn well in the 1990's. There are something like 35 markets with over 500 PDEW. Plenty to share. Not that Disney would. If there is anything to this, maybe someone is talking to them about being a partner/sponsor airline with a new hub/focus city establishment at MCO.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Devilfish

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:56 pm

DL717 wrote:
Oh man. You ruined it by unveiling the A380 livery. Damn you!

:laughing: I only wanted to show how Monstro didn't seem too pleased with his new set of dentures :!: :lol:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

DocLightning

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:14 pm

flyfresno wrote:
Hahaha I find it ironic that the “Walmart” of the seas is worried about brand image.

While the actual Carnival brand is downmarket, they own many brands.
*Costa
*Cunard
*Holland-America
*P&O
*Princess
*AIDA
*Seabourn

In particular, Cunard and Seabourn are very upmarket.

To get back to the point of the OP, in order to start an airline, Disney (or Carnival) would need to decide that they can operate an airline at lower cost and with better efficiency than the existing carriers. Given that the market is already huge and that there are an enormous number of origin cities from which Disney guests travel, Disney would basically have to start a submajor airline with hubs at HNL (for the Aolani resort), SAN, MCO, and MIA/FLL. That is a truly massive and risky undertaking and there is no reason to suppose that they could do it better than any of the existing carriers, who have so much more experience in that industry. Moreover, Disney specializes in destinations. A resort or even a cruise ship is a destination (even if cruise ships move). An airplane is not.

It makes much more sense for Disney to partner with existing airlines to offer package deals for guests traveling to Disney resorts and cruises.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MD80Ttail

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:38 pm

>>>..makes much more sense for Disney to partner with existing airlines to offer package deals for guests traveling to Disney resorts and cruises.<<<

This. Before Disney has their own cruise line...which is a very different beast from an airline.....they partnered with I think it was Premier and the “Big Red Boat”. I remember when EA was the official airline of Disney....so they have a long history of partnering with airlines as their official carrier. I could see a one or two off livery aircraft in conjunction with a new or revamped “official airline” deal. That seems really likely to me. Their own airline.....no. I can easily see charter flights in city junction w their cruises as well.

RespectedPath

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:31 am

If there is any truth to this I would imagine Disney would set up a operation akin to JetSuite X on the west cost. Small, private terminals without the headaches of modern air travel where Disney could control most aspects of the experience. Disney is huge on brand image and at one time looked into starting an airline but decided that they didn't want people to associate inconveniences of air travel with their name.

Don't think WN or NK bringing people in by the droves but, something for the people who don't want to fly F on a legacy but wont splurge for a NetJets or Delta Private Jets subscription.

TUSDawg23

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:39 am

Amazon started investing in their own air and ground logistics fleet because they wanted to do everything in their control to make one day shipping a reality in most of the contiguous US. That is a game changer.

Disney would have to have projections showing that the number of pax they are funneling to their theme parks will offset the losses they will undoubtedly incur in trying to run an airline. When it comes to the travel experience, most leisure pax want to spend the least amount of money possible on the flight so they can spend more at the destination. LAX and MCO are very well connected airports and bring in pax from all over the world everyday to experience disney parks. What would creating their own airline do to incentivize people to spend more money on the Disney experience or be more inclined to go to a Disney park? I just don't see a business case.

jomur

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:39 am

DocLightning wrote:

It makes much more sense for Disney to partner with existing airlines to offer package deals for guests traveling to Disney resorts and cruises.

Disney already do this especially in the UK. Maybe they should start doing it in the US.

Rosie7

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 am

In 2018 NK spent a lot of money putting their flight attendants through "Disney Guest Training"/ customer service . Now it is a part of every new hire flight attendant's initial training and there is an annual required full day of this ongoing training for those flight attendants. MCO is NK's newest inflight base for FAs and pilots as it opened in December , 2018 . From my understanding the company has around 600 FAs based in MCO now and plan to eventually have around 1000 FAs based in MCO by mid 2020. NK has announced ( internal email to pilots ) they plan to start hiring 40 pilots a month starting in September , 2019 , to continue this rapid expansion. Finally, Spirit has been flying one of their A321 aircraft painted with theDisney theme " Dumbo the Flying Elephant " . Interesting... to say the least...

Rosie7

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:59 am

As posted above, NK does have 10 International destinations operating from MCO. Their rapid domestic route structure is close to or exceeding their domestic traffic from FLL , which is the home office ... Once again I say interesting...to say the least...

steeler83

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 pm

For all the reasons already give, I too do not see this as a viable business venture by Disney. This would eat away at profits immensely IMO, which I'm sure would lead to skyrocketing prices for lodging or admission into any of their theme parks. As an investor, I don't think I'd be too happy with this venture.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

musman9853

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm

tsra wrote:
If Disney really wanted to differentiate their brand with flights to the mouse motherland they would find a way to use smaller, business airports. If they could stuff families into a 737/A320 from an FBO with less intrusive security and ease to the plane I believe people would take full advantage of it. An airline that operates under Part 125 maybe? Imagine money people would pay to fly on their “private” 737 to Disney.

there's an airfield about 2 miles from magic kingdom. can you imagine getting off a plane pretty much directly into MK?
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

musman9853

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:
Don't know what cruise line yall cruised on, but Carnival is doing quite well for themselves and is a great cruise line to sail on. Full ships, full entertainment, and new ships continue to sail out. Ill take them any day. Plus theyre affordable, unlike much of anything Disney. If Disney does this, it wont last long. Youre just not going to have that many people, at one time, going from the same location on a daily basis.

Orlando gets 75 million visitors a year. MCO has about 50 million people going through it every year. there's enough demand there for this to be feasible, although i don't think disney would go for this.

UpNAWAy

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 pm

If any conglomerate or otherwise giant company was ever going to get into the airline business they would have after 9/11. I believe at one time Microsoft could have purchased every US airline stock with cash on hand or at least certainly one of the big carriers. Such a capital intensive business with low margins just doesn't make any sense. The only businesses that might even ponder that is a business where air travel is one of its largest expenses, and I have know idea what business that would be.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:48 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Disney would basically have to start a submajor airline with hubs at HNL (for the Aolani resort), SAN, MCO, and MIA/FLL.

Interesting. Most of those destinations make sense. But, I would think that John Wayne might be better than SAN. Unless there's just not space available there...

DocLightning wrote:
That is a truly massive and risky undertaking and there is no reason to suppose that they could do it better than any of the existing carriers, who have so much more experience in that industry. Moreover, Disney specializes in destinations. A resort or even a cruise ship is a destination (even if cruise ships move). An airplane is not.

Maybe. From the source material, it looks like Disney is trying to control the experience from the word Go. That's fine if that's what they want to do, but Airlines can and do ruin that, and with little or no recourse, even in a dedicated charter situation.

The way I read this is that they wouldn't necessarily be trying to do better than Airlines performance wise, but customer experience wise. The first would indeed be a challenge, the second would be a walk in the fucking park. It's also worth noting that there's nothing in the rulebook that says they can't simply buy executive and operational experience. Startups and ULCCs poach from Legacies all the time and it generally seems to work out alright. Not saying it would be faultless, but getting their operations game up may not be as hard as a.net would want it to be. . .

So if that's the entire goal in and of itself, and the profit of Disney's 'Air Wing' takes a (reasonable) back seat to that, then yes, this could could actually work out very well for them.
In many ways, that would be like EK's earliest mission; act as a promoter to the destination, and if it makes money, so much the better.

I don't feel this hypothesis is unfounded. It wouldn't be unDisney behavior. If we look at what their Motion Pictures arm is up to. The effort they're putting into a streaming service is not trivial and very unlikely to turn a profit soon. But to control access to all that Property is probably priceless. This wouldn't be terribly different...

DocLightning wrote:

If they were willing and able to do it branded as Disney, yeah. I've no legit idea what their service standards would be, but it's a good guess nothing the Legacies or ULCCs available are up for. But I wouldn't call that impossible. . .
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

LightChop2Chop

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 pm

So here is a thought. they mouse could buy Sun Country and move the HQ to MCO. that solves the AOC issues and gives them a fleet of 737s to start with that they could reconfigure.

bcbhokie

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

flyfresno wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
but does an airline add enough additional revenue beyond the ticket?
If they bundle the air fare with the other park amenities, they could probably get away with charging more if people are more attracted to booking literally everything under one reservation. They could essentially take you from the second you see the ticket counter at the airport you leave from until you grab your bag at your original destinations baggage claim which some families may want to pay for. However, this is very risky and they wouldn't be appealing to budget travelers since they normally buy tickets on Frontier, Allegiant, or Spirit and find a cheap hotel or villa/house off property with a rental car and use a Walmart to buy food for their stay.

Other than the self-catering aspect (which can now be done via amazon and other delivery services), the ironic thing about this is you have to save a TON to make up for the cost of a car, gas, and parking, or lyfts/ubers. Some off property hotels offer free shuttles, but they are often timed terribly and don’t usually go to every park. Add in extra magic hour for on-property guests (which often means you can spend 5-6 extra hours in the parks and go on 15-20+ more rides during a week stay), and off-property does not usually make sense unless all the value resorts are sold out. This is based on being a pass holder over multiple years and trying it both ways multiple times. Ok, enough off topic :-) Can you tell I have a passion for WDW?

This used to be true, but I’m not sure it holds water anymore. Disney Springs hotels can be as low as $99-149 a night, and come with the same extra magic hours and 60-day FastPass privileges as the Disney hotels. The cost savings over the $250+ on property options easily funds a pair of Uber rides every day for minimal additional hassle... actually, you could make a strong argument that it’s a better experience than wasting an hour every day fumbling with the Disney bus service.

mbm3

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 pm

USA3000 started as a scheduled charter for Apple Vacations and flew a small fleet of A320s to the Caribbean and Mexico until the 2009 economic crisis and the aircraft needing heavy maintenance. Disney could certainly do the same and provide nonstop - or VIP - options to their parks.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

hawaiian717

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:58 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
those destinations make sense. But, I would think that John Wayne might be better than SAN. Unless there's just not space available there...

I agree, I'm guessing SAN was a typo and he meant SNA. Slot availability at both SNA and LGB would present an issue. I think ONT would actually be the most likely option for Disneyland base: Plenty of space to host a hub operation and it's not a zoo like LAX, and about the same road distance away. No reason to go all the way to SAN.

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:11 pm

They are already successful in cruise lines, why not an airline? Also, they should run charter buses from nearby cities as well.

lazyme

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:22 pm

I'm all for it, but only if Business class get the caravan bathtub with zipper on it.

flyfresno

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 pm

bcbhokie wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
If they bundle the air fare with the other park amenities, they could probably get away with charging more if people are more attracted to booking literally everything under one reservation. They could essentially take you from the second you see the ticket counter at the airport you leave from until you grab your bag at your original destinations baggage claim which some families may want to pay for. However, this is very risky and they wouldn't be appealing to budget travelers since they normally buy tickets on Frontier, Allegiant, or Spirit and find a cheap hotel or villa/house off property with a rental car and use a Walmart to buy food for their stay.

Other than the self-catering aspect (which can now be done via amazon and other delivery services), the ironic thing about this is you have to save a TON to make up for the cost of a car, gas, and parking, or lyfts/ubers. Some off property hotels offer free shuttles, but they are often timed terribly and don’t usually go to every park. Add in extra magic hour for on-property guests (which often means you can spend 5-6 extra hours in the parks and go on 15-20+ more rides during a week stay), and off-property does not usually make sense unless all the value resorts are sold out. This is based on being a pass holder over multiple years and trying it both ways multiple times. Ok, enough off topic :-) Can you tell I have a passion for WDW?

This used to be true, but I’m not sure it holds water anymore. Disney Springs hotels can be as low as $99-149 a night, and come with the same extra magic hours and 60-day FastPass privileges as the Disney hotels. The cost savings over the $250+ on property options easily funds a pair of Uber rides every day for minimal additional hassle... actually, you could make a strong argument that it’s a better experience than wasting an hour every day fumbling with the Disney bus service.

1) Had no problem getting Value Resorts in that price range over the last year. My last stay was $110 per night.
2) Only a few of those hotels have EMO benefits, but I would say that, yes, the few that do *could* be as good of a value, but you better be saving at least $120 over a week to make up for lyfts to/from the airport and the parks.
3) The Disney bus service isn’t perfect, and it occasionally has issues like any form of transport, but I’ve almost never had it average more than an extra 10-15 min each way over a rideshare, and we’ve timed it.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:52 am

HP69 wrote:

However, "Disney Airlines" operated by Atlas would likely do quite well.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:59 am

musman9853 wrote:
tsra wrote:
If Disney really wanted to differentiate their brand with flights to the mouse motherland they would find a way to use smaller, business airports. If they could stuff families into a 737/A320 from an FBO with less intrusive security and ease to the plane I believe people would take full advantage of it. An airline that operates under Part 125 maybe? Imagine money people would pay to fly on their “private” 737 to Disney.

there's an airfield about 2 miles from magic kingdom. can you imagine getting off a plane pretty much directly into MK?

"Disney Airlines" operated by Atlas Air...
Lots of people carry Disney Credit Cards, and have the Disney Saving Plan.
IMHO, this not only seems credible, but viable if done right.

Disney gains control of the Revenue stream from start of trip, to the finish. They get to try and sell you stuff all of the way to touchdown in your home town.
If MCO doesn't want to play along, you can bet that LAL will. And we are only talking about 7-8 Disney transfer buses per flight.

SkyVoice

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:43 am

HP69 wrote:

musman9853 wrote:

No one has mentioned here yet that there WAS a STOLport at Walt Disney World when it was built! Actually, the STOLport still exists, but its days as a destination for commuter airlines ended decades ago. But, what's to keep Disney from developing transportation terminals in Lake Buena Vista, FL (and Orange County, CA)?

Here is a link to a Google search for the STOLport. https://www.google.com/search?q=walt+di ... e&ie=UTF-8
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

TVNWZ

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 am

The airport is a long parking lot, mostly for semi trailers.

PacoMartin

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:10 am

sonicruiser wrote:
They will have a hard time competing with the likes of the US3 these days as MCO becomes trapped in the strange middle ground of an airport that is the busiest non-hub in the country after LAS.

Your statement is confirmed by the top 12 busiest airports in the USA according to FAA data. LAS and MCO are the only non-hubs on the list.
[list=]ATL Atlanta
LAX Los Angeles
ORD Chicago
DFW Fort Worth
DEN Denver
JFK New York
SFO San Francisco International Airport
LAS Las Vegas
SEA Seattle
CLT Charlotte
EWR Newark
MCO Orlando[/list]

5NFGS

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:11 am

Let's all remember Royal Carribean ,one of the largest cruise operators owns a 49% stake in Pullmantur Cruises.
Pullmantur Cruises also owns it's own airline, Wamos Air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wamos_Air

And Royal Caribbean is a fraction of Disney's size as an operating entity(US$10 billion revenue vs US$60 billion revenue).

So it should be possible for Disney, but not on a large global scale.

Targeting the Premium market which is interested in the Disney experience, as well as offering real end to end all inclusive packages for their premium-cabin cruise customers could be a good way to start.

All this while extracting maximal possible revenue per seat.

Sounds like it could succeed to me
A 319/320/321,A 330-200/300, A 340-300/500/600, B 737-300/400/500,B 737-700/800,B 747-300/400,B 767-200 ER/300 ER, B 777-200/200 ER,CRJ 200/900/1000,DHC-8-300/Q 300, DC-10, ERJ-195,MD-11

FlyingElvii

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:04 pm

5NFGS wrote:
Let's all remember Royal Carribean ,one of the largest cruise operators owns a 49% stake in Pullmantur Cruises.
Pullmantur Cruises also owns it's own airline, Wamos Air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wamos_Air

And Royal Caribbean is a fraction of Disney's size as an operating entity(US$10 billion revenue vs US$60 billion revenue).

So it should be possible for Disney, but not on a large global scale.

Targeting the Premium market which is interested in the Disney experience, as well as offering real end to end all inclusive packages for their premium-cabin cruise customers could be a good way to start.

All this while extracting maximal possible revenue per seat.

Sounds like it could succeed to me

Just an example: 4x a week from NYC, 2-3x from Bos, LAX, DCA, PHL, ORD, SEA, DFW, ATL, 1x from Lon, PAR, SFO and a dozen other cities, couple of times a month from many others, all as scheduled charter to a dedicated Disney Terminal At MCO, in conjunction with Disney Cruises.

Add in extra trips to Disney Paris, or Disneyland in peak, and you begin to see the potential.

Disney controls the experience from beginning to end. Disney movies aboard, catering designed for kids, Disney games with ads on the seatback screens, Disney promotions for extras on the same screens for parents. You have an absolutely captive audience to sell to. For hours...

Sched charter means you can add and subtract the service as required based on Economic factors, since you are selling as much as a year in advance.
To a dedicated terminal you can do away with, or minimize, the security hassles while traveling with a family. And you have the other airlines as a backup for operational issues. It’s already a premium priced product, so plenty of options.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. So many possibilities....

And don’t think 737’s, think 767’s or even 787’s set up as premium economy.
I don’t Think they would have any issues filling them in such a set-up.

evank516

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:16 pm

santi319 wrote:
And flying to LGA using what slots exactly? #fakenews

This. It's as if they automatically assume they'll gain access to LaGuardia with no problem.

KUZAWU08

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:11 am

Slash787 wrote:
So well is it going to be Airbus or Boeing?

according to the factual and data driven article, they're planning to use "regional" metal... so... I'd say that's more a question of Bombardier ehem.. I mean uh, Mitsubishi or Embraer. I'm totally partial to the CRJ but if they know anything about those MU2 turboprops I can predict the answer

PacoMartin

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:20 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:
So here is a thought. they mouse could buy Sun Country and move the HQ to MCO. that solves the AOC issues and gives them a fleet of 737s to start with that they could reconfigure.

Why not purchase fledgling Moxy Airline, and Disney would get one of the smarter minds in aviation and new jets.

LightningZ71

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm

I have to wonder if they are eyeing starting off with cheaper, lower time frames that they can likely acquire for a lower cost. I speculate that, with Delta making noises about retiring the MD-90 and 717 sooner than originally envisioned, that Disney could put together a fleet of those birds in 4 abreast configuration that could act as a "proof of concept" for a few years to work out the bugs a bit, then acquire purpose built frames that better match what they are actually seeing operationally. I suspect that, by then, A223 production will be ramped up a bit and delivery slots will be easier to come by. Maybe the E-190/5 E2 will be more to their liking.

FluidFlow

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Disney could do one really cool thing, offering an "air cruise" Park hopper all in one package for the rich customer base. A 3 week all Parks + Hawaii around the world tour.

Buy one "old" cheap A380, refurbish it with family cabins (J and Y+) with either 4 cornered off lie flats in J in 2-2fw, 2-2bw and 4 cornered off Y+ seats 2-2fw, 2-2bw in the cabin upstairs and standard J and Y downstairs. Add a character meet and greet area. Then fly MCO-LAX-HNL-NRT-PVG-HKG-CDG-MCO.

Combine with Park entrance, flight and hotel stay.

Or revive the G1 and fly scenic around the Parks in Orlando as a tribute to Walt.

Interested

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:18 pm

flyfresno wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
Carnival shelved it’s airline for the same issue: damage to the brand in the event of an incident.

Hahaha I find it ironic that the “Walmart” of the seas is worried about brand image.

Would imagine there's more chance of someone dying in a crash on one of their rides or on the Magical Express than in an airplane

I doubt it would deter them?

Come to think of it a 4 year old was killed by an alligator on one of the beaches at one of their hotels not long ago

I still can't believe that could ever happen

Sokes

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:29 pm

ual763 wrote:
Keep in mind, most problems come from misconnects. This would not be a connecting airline. All direct P2P flights. If anyone could make it work, it would be Disney. I could eventually see charters from the UK being very successful on Disney Airlines with the number of British tourists to Disney.

Disney world Orlando in 2018 had 58 million visitors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disn ... Attendance

Orlando airport in 2018 had 48 million passengers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_I ... al_Airport

I don't know what is a visitor. Is somebody who stays three days three visitors?
But then somebody who comes and goes by plane is two passengers.
There are an average 160.000 visitors a day. So why shouldn't Disney be able to fill a few planes every day in non-connecting flights?
The full flight experience starting with interior of planes is designed for adults. I don't know how tricky it is to certify changed furniture, but at least one can paint it.
Special window seats for children? Goofy as a hugging steward would also be nice.
Adults on drugs might also book flights for the unusual experience. And imagine what fun children would have if pilots do a few stunts in the air.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

flyfresno

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Interested wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
Carnival shelved it’s airline for the same issue: damage to the brand in the event of an incident.

Would imagine there's more chance of someone dying in a crash on one of their rides or on the Magical Express than in an airplane

Come to think of it a 4 year old was killed by an alligator on one of the beaches at one of their hotels not long ago

I can’t believe how well they contained the negative PR from it.

No more beaches with water access. There are now rocks and ropes between any beaches and any natural ponds/lakes.

Sokes

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:00 am

One more thought:
Suppose a family books a flight to visit Disneyland and spontaneously decides they would like to stay one or two days longer. It's in Disney's interest to have a cost free and easy change of flights.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

77H

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:42 am

GalebG4 wrote:
Disney’s airline is most probably going to be charter airline for Disney’s resorts or cruise line package. So it would make sense for west coast SNA airport and east coast MCO airport.

I imagine such an airline would have a difficult time making SNA, LGB or even LAX work given the 2 or slot controlled and 1 has a chronic gate shortage. If the idea is to create a O&D focus hub-spoke to feed their parks, they’d need quite a few slots and gates.

You can expect the incumbent slot holders at SNA and LGB to put up a fight. Their main argument being that an airline, with the sole purpose of getting people to WDL isn’t in the best interest of the traveling public nor the community at large each airport serves.

Disney could possibly make ONT work depending on how much they want to spend on support infrastructure. In my hypothetical scenario I’m picturing on of their resort style monorails running from ONT to Disneyland. A cheaper route would be to have a Magic Express style bus operation running on a constant loop.

Focusing on MCO is likely a easier feat, even though it comes with its own challenges.

Also, would such an airline cater only to Disney guests or would their service be open to the public at large? If the former, I don’t see that sustaining anything more than lower frequency scheduled charters. While Disney resorts attract a dizzying number of visitors I can’t imagine there being enough to fill planes regularly while competing with extant carriers. MCO offers more than DW. It’s big host town for conventions amongst other things.

77H

musman9853

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Interested wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:

It's Florida dude. Every body of water here larger than a puddle has alligators

ricport

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:03 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Ricport,
More than likely this would pull the well behaving kids off other airlines. :devil:

But won't happen.

Lightsaber

A person can dream, can't he? :)

hawaiian717

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 pm

77H wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:
Disney’s airline is most probably going to be charter airline for Disney’s resorts or cruise line package. So it would make sense for west coast SNA airport and east coast MCO airport.

Disney could possibly make ONT work depending on how much they want to spend on support infrastructure. In my hypothetical scenario I’m picturing on of their resort style monorails running from ONT to Disneyland. A cheaper route would be to have a Magic Express style bus operation running on a constant loop.

I recall at one point Anaheim was interested in having a Disney monorail to ARTIC (the new train station/transportation hub), that obviously hasn't happened and going out to ONT (or even SNA) would be significantly more expensive. I assume a Magic Express type bus would be used, though it may not need to be a constant loop but rather buses timed to match the flights if the flights are only at certain times rather than running in and out of ONT all day.

a320fan

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:58 pm

The Just Disney article linked above has now made the mainstream press, with this article appearing in The Telegraph posting this article which largely seems to be a regurgitation of the Just Disney source, which seems to lack any credibility. The article is mostly behind a paywall so I have no idea if theirs any other sources or analysis of the idea (going to guess there isn’t)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... n-costume/
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

mikegigs

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 pm

a320fan wrote:
The Just Disney article linked above has now made the mainstream press, with this article appearing in The Telegraph posting this article which largely seems to be a regurgitation of the Just Disney source, which seems to lack any credibility. The article is mostly behind a paywall so I have no idea if theirs any other sources or analysis of the idea (going to guess there isn’t)

The Telegraph article refers to "Walt Disney Land World", which is even worse than "South West Airlines" that the original article cites. It must be one slow news day...

A Disney-themed airline... the one way to make me hate flying
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!

enilria

TELEGRAPH: Disney Will Launch Airline w/Costumed Crew

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:28 pm

This keeps popping up. Headline says crew in costume. I can't see that in the article. I give this 2% chance of happening.

Disney is planning to launch its own airline in the US, it has been rumoured, which could be family heaven or utter hell depending on your stance on the mega brand.

According to specialist news site JustDisney.com, the brightly decorated planes will ferry guests in and out of Orlando, Florida, home of its Walt Disney Land World, the most visited holiday resort on the planet, to airports including Detroit, Chicago, New York LaGuardia, and Los Angeles International. The Disney Company is apparently poised to start acquiring small, regional carriers in 2021.

Prost

Re: TELEGRAPH: Disney Will Launch Airline w/Costumed Crew

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:41 pm

I assume you get the can. No way Mickey can open a pop can with those mitts on his hands.

chidino

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 pm

enilria wrote:
This keeps popping up. Headline says crew in costume. I can't see that in the article. I give this 2% chance of happening.

Disney is planning to launch its own airline in the US, it has been rumoured, which could be family heaven or utter hell depending on your stance on the mega brand.

According to specialist news site JustDisney.com, the brightly decorated planes will ferry guests in and out of Orlando, Florida, home of its Walt Disney Land World, the most visited holiday resort on the planet, to airports including Detroit, Chicago, New York LaGuardia, and Los Angeles International. The Disney Company is apparently poised to start acquiring small, regional carriers in 2021.

The "Walt Disney Land World"? Where did the Telegraph source this? Reads like a bad Amazon listing, not so much a news story. Fully concur with your "success" prediction.

SierraPacific

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Via Air recently had their 121 certificate sold to an undisclosed buyer. I wonder if that is Disney getting their hands on a certificate quick.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos