BlueberryWheats

Re: TELEGRAPH: Disney Will Launch Airline w/Costumed Crew

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:03 pm

I wonder if it extends to flight crew? Imagine the feeling of walking to your gate at LAX, passing all the VS, BA, LH crews in their smart uniforms while wearing your Goofy Ears.

Erau82

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:15 pm

ATC will just love them speaking in character!

Planes4you

Re: Disney launching their own airline?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:41 pm

I don’t even wanna think about how dirty their cabin will be after a flight/multiple flights

WN732

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:53 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I wonder if it extends to flight crew? Imagine the feeling of walking to your gate at LAX, passing all the VS, BA, LH crews in their smart uniforms while wearing your Goofy Ears.

People that work for Disney are generally the kind of people that would enjoy such a thing. No one forced them to sign up.

Okie

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:00 pm

You do realize that Disney World had it's own airport at one time.

KDWS Lake Buena Vista Airport. Now permanently closed.

The rumble strips on the taxi way were spaced in such a manner if you taxied over them a 40mph. The landing gear would sound "if you wish upon a star"

Somewhere there is a youtube of the area now used for contractor/construction staging driving over the rumble strips with a pickup.

Okie

IWMBH

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm

I can't imagine this will be a big succes, why start your own airline when there are probably plenty of airlines in line to work with you? To quote the guy who did it himself: “If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline.” – Richard Branson.

jetwet1

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 pm

IWMBH wrote:
I can't imagine this will be a big succes, why start your own airline when there are probably plenty of airlines in line to work with you? To quote the guy who did it himself: “If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline.” – Richard Branson.

As others have pointed out, you do this so you can control the guest experience from start to finish and time and again people have shown they are willing to pay a premium for Disney, plus Disney have more than enough free cash flow to fund this, leasing a couple 737/757's would not be much of a risk for Disney.

deebee278

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Aside from what's been discussed, why LAX as a possible departure point? Sounds like bad business, draining away a bit of your DisneyLAND revenue to a somewhat larger facility all the way across the country. I feel this is a non-starter and that is as far as I'm going to go with it. BTW, my vision of Hell is dragging your family (from anywhere) to Orlando in the middle of Summer.

IWMBH

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:19 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

As others have pointed out, you do this so you can control the guest experience from start to finish and time and again people have shown they are willing to pay a premium for Disney, plus Disney have more than enough free cash flow to fund this, leasing a couple 737/757's would not be much of a risk for Disney.

Hmm yeah they probably can but what are they going to do with these planes what others aren't doing already? I don't think the FAA will allow them to dress up the FA's as Goofy. Just not convinced that this makes much financial sense, but I like to be proven wrong.

tomaheath

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm

D23 is coming up maybe something will be announced then?

MGC1191

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 am

Can Disney set up shop at an FBO at MCO and just reroute all of their shuttles/busses from the main terminal to the FBO? Kinda wrap up the whole experience, get off the Disney plane Into the Disney terminal onto the Disney bus to the Disney hotels.

jetwet1

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:07 am

IWMBH wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

Hmm yeah they probably can but what are they going to do with these planes what others aren't doing already? I don't think the FAA will allow them to dress up the FA's as Goofy. Just not convinced that this makes much financial sense, but I like to be proven wrong.

I'm with you on the FA's dressing up as Disney characters, however, why did Disney build their own hotels at Disney World ? Let me answer my own question, they saw the millions in revenue they missed by the Wrather Corporation owning the Disneyland Hotel, the same can be applied to a Disney Airline, they are not looking to fly everyone to Disney World, just skim the premium traffic.

strfyr51

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 am

flymco753 wrote:
This isn't click-bait, but this isn't a resourceful article as well, but it's a very interesting concept that could really put Disney in the airline industry.

First off, here's the link to the article: https://justdisney.co/disney-launching- ... -airlines/

The article claims they would be "offering flights out of Orlando to and from major airport hubs including Detroit, Chicago, LaGuardia, and LAX."

Secondly, they cite that "The airlines will be “wrapped” with famous Marvel and princess themes to help celebrate your big trip. Disney is to stay competitive with rates that are just as affordable as South West Airlines and United. One perk that passengers can look forward to is if your staying at an onsite Disney resort within 48 hours of your flight, your first bag is checked free of charge for every passenger."

Now I said there's no validity in this article, but could Disney hypothetically enter the airline industry and survive with a model like this? What if it was a charter type airline where your ticket prices were incorporated with the package? Food for thought...

in a word? Yes they could! They would have to buy and configure the airplanes, then bid out the operational flying to a Part 121 certificated carrier until they can establish their OWN part 121 operation,, There are companies that would do this in a heartbeat. Now the question is? Which model of airplane and for Which Parks?
And? Would they offer International service for their Disney parks outside the USA??

32andBelow

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:36 am

deebee278 wrote:
Aside from what's been discussed, why LAX as a possible departure point? Sounds like bad business, draining away a bit of your DisneyLAND revenue to a somewhat larger facility all the way across the country. I feel this is a non-starter and that is as far as I'm going to go with it. BTW, my vision of Hell is dragging your family (from anywhere) to Orlando in the middle of Summer.

You’re assuming they want to put them into theme parks and not on to cruise ships

32andBelow

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:37 am

SierraPacific wrote:
Via Air recently had their 121 certificate sold to an undisclosed buyer. I wonder if that is Disney getting their hands on a certificate quick.

An e120/e135 certificate

nycbjr

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Looks like Disney is denying the rumors.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/114 ... us-reports

MO11

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:25 pm

32andBelow wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
Via Air recently had their 121 certificate sold to an undisclosed buyer. I wonder if that is Disney getting their hands on a certificate quick.

An e120/e135 certificate

There were two certificates. Via Airways was On Demand/135 with the Brasilias, Via Airlines was Domestic/121 with the jets.

enilria

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:30 pm

SierraPacific wrote:

Moxy more likely. Didn't realize Via was 100% dead.

enilria

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:34 pm

nycbjr wrote:
Looks like Disney is denying the rumors.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/114 ... us-reports

I have repeatedly said I don't believe this. There are other less risky ways to achieve the same goals. Also, MCO is building a new terminal because there is so much demand. I don't see the need for Disney to have to compete for business. The whole point for them is to create new demand to their resorts. That's where the money is. The only space to increase demand is on the cheap end and that's not where Disney would position an airline product. If they go higher end then the other airlines they successfully compete against will just cut capacity and in the end they will not gain any more passengers to their parks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos