MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:07 pm

Apparently there was a stowaway which dropped from KQ100 on approach to LHR this afternoon as the landing gear came down. Police informed KQ later on as it was identified that he dropped from that flight. RIP
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
Etheereal
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:44 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:08 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:
 
aviatorcraig
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:35 pm

...and the chances of the stowaway being alive prior to the fall after cruising at up to 40,000 ft for over eight hours would have been somewhere no greater than zero. :tombstone:
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!
 
MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:40 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:
...and the chances of the stowaway being alive prior to the fall after cruising at up to 40,000 ft for over eight hours would have been somewhere no greater than zero. :tombstone:


Meaning he’d have been dead shortly after take off ?!
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:50 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:
...and the chances of the stowaway being alive prior to the fall after cruising at up to 40,000 ft for over eight hours would have been somewhere no greater than zero. :tombstone:


Meaning he’d have been dead shortly after take off ?!


It would have taken about 30 minutes to get to 40,000ft and he would have lost consciousness within a few minutes at that altitude. It would have been just like falling asleep.

https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/courses/atsc113 ... index.html
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:50 pm

Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 pm

People are still doing this? How come the retracted wheels don't crush them?
 
MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:46 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.

Surprising. You can’t even take a photo of an aircraft from the terminal building without being questioned.
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
DFWuser
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:00 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
People are still doing this? How come the retracted wheels don't crush them?


The wheel wells have pockets where a person can fit. Assuming that the person does not get crushed by the landing gear, cause of death would most likely be due to freezing temperatures or impact with the ground a few seconds after gear-down during final approach.

Image
Last edited by DFWuser on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SF3 CR7 E75 M88 M90 L10 319 320 321 32B 332 333 343 388 712 722 732 733 73G 738 744 752 763 772 773 77W 788 789 78J
 
klakzky123
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:05 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:05 pm

There was that kid who survived the SJC-OGG flight as a stowaway so I suppose he gave a bunch of false hope that people can survive this sort of thing. And that incident happened in the US so clearly security lapses aren't limited to Africa.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6584
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:35 pm

So sad that people feel they have to take such risks.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 3209
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.

I mean how could you not question how lax it is when this happens?
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4487
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:51 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.

Surprising. You can’t even take a photo of an aircraft from the terminal building without being questioned.

No, that’s classic security theatre, showing that you are doing something, anything. Real security doesn’t work like that. Having said that I have seen major carriers at a few airports where external perimeter security doesn’t even approach western standards.
 
69bug
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:23 am

Was in Lagos in the 80s where instead of a 'follow me' car they had a 'follow you'. It seems there was a spate of aircraft reporting door unsafe indications which healed itself. It was later discovered that there were some guys scurrying up to the aircraft as it was holding and opening the holds and helping themselves to the bags. The 'follow you' car was paid for by the airlines as the authorities denied that such activities could ever happen.

Even today the perimeter fences are a joke.

bug
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12402
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.

Why would they NOT argue it, when this kinda thing has happened involving Kenya and/or KQ, so many times?!


So this was their 2019 dead stowaway incident..... right on schedule, historically.


And here's their 2018 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.radarbox24.com/news/breakin ... nding-gear

And their 2017 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/s ... e.2525685/

And their 2014 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27902133

And their 2013 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article ... ays-flight

And their........
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
B764er
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:19 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:16 am

"FOLLOW YOU" car... :lol: LoL!

(though I understand the reason why) :biggrin:

I read the different posts and in the 2018 one, there's a photo of the dead guy stuffed in the wheel well. the report states that he froze to death. you see the photo and will agree he wasn't properly dressed or equipped for his last flight. :tombstone: :cold:

I guess the 2015 and 2016 guys had far better luck. or they chose to pay for the plane ticket. very smart if true. :highfive:
 
n729pa
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:18 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48830212
Must have been a shock to the witnesses too.

Have also cases from South Africa too in recent years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33196210

Interest article written after the one above.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33222405
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11731
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:44 am

The asylum situation in the UK is nothing special, you get the same all over western europe, probably even better in nordic countries.

The UK however is already the home of many people from specific countries (usually former colonies), so people from these countries will go for the UK for that reason.

The other main reason being that there are no ID checks in the UK.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
a320fan
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 am

Seems they tracked it to the KQ aircraft due to a plane spotter in Clapham Common seeing it fall.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
KFTG
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:18 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.


:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-teen-stowaway-speaks-out-20140618-story.html
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6584
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:38 am

The BBC report said that the body was intact on hitting the ground, and the reason was that is was frozen solid. That must have been a terrible sight.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
vfw614
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:16 am

Intersting piece of information from the LA TImes article linked above:

Federal Aviation Administration records show that of the 105 people known to have stowed away on flights around the world over the last 67 years, only 25 lived through the ordeal, a survival rate of 23.8%.


I would have thought that the odds were much worse.
 
vfw614
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:24 am

readytotaxi wrote:
The BBC report said that the body was intact on hitting the ground, and the reason was that is was frozen solid. That must have been a terrible sight.


Particularly as, if some tabloids are to be believed, it landed just three feets away from a sunbather. The pictures of the scene show a visible dent on the lawn and a paved footway.
 
westgate
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am

Aesma wrote:
The asylum situation in the UK is nothing special, you get the same all over western europe, probably even better in nordic countries.

The UK however is already the home of many people from specific countries (usually former colonies), so people from these countries will go for the UK for that reason.

The other main reason being that there are no ID checks in the UK.


That depends on certain metrics. In Germany and Nordic countries, most asylum seekers are housed in dormitory style shared accommodation. Whereas in the UK this sometimes does happen but they usually get their own apartment/dwelling that they might just share with one other claimant.

Certain nationalities are much more likely to be granted refugee status in the UK than in other countries. Around 90 to 95% of Eritrean claimants are successful in the UK and Sweden, which is why those two countries will almost always be their intended destination.

It's also the widely held perception amongst many potential migrants that the UK does in fact have the most generous asylum system, even though this might not actually be the case. English being the native language is a major pull factor as well.

ID checks have now been implemented on a much wider scale in the past few years as the government attempts to crack down significantly on illegal immigration. A very large and lucrative black/grey market for employment will no doubt continue to persist however, especially in London.
 
valefan16
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:55 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:34 pm

westgate wrote:
Aesma wrote:
The asylum situation in the UK is nothing special, you get the same all over western europe, probably even better in nordic countries.

The UK however is already the home of many people from specific countries (usually former colonies), so people from these countries will go for the UK for that reason.

The other main reason being that there are no ID checks in the UK.


That depends on certain metrics. In Germany and Nordic countries, most asylum seekers are housed in dormitory style shared accommodation. Whereas in the UK this sometimes does happen but they usually get their own apartment/dwelling that they might just share with one other claimant.

Certain nationalities are much more likely to be granted refugee status in the UK than in other countries. Around 90 to 95% of Eritrean claimants are successful in the UK and Sweden, which is why those two countries will almost always be their intended destination.

It's also the widely held perception amongst many potential migrants that the UK does in fact have the most generous asylum system, even though this might not actually be the case. English being the native language is a major pull factor as well.

ID checks have now been implemented on a much wider scale in the past few years as the government attempts to crack down significantly on illegal immigration. A very large and lucrative black/grey market for employment will no doubt continue to persist however, especially in London.


You only have to look at the situation at Calais with people desperate to cross the channel by any means to see Britain is a popular choice with the vast camps there housing people trying to get across.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1168
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:58 pm

vfw614 wrote:
Intersting piece of information from the LA TImes article linked above:

Federal Aviation Administration records show that of the 105 people known to have stowed away on flights around the world over the last 67 years, only 25 lived through the ordeal, a survival rate of 23.8%.


I would have thought that the odds were much worse.

It most likely have to do with the fact those are confirmed stowaways; how many of them fell over a body of water and are not counted in the statistics?
 
musman9853
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm

i didn't expect for there to be an actual fall when i read the title. how awful all round.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5595
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:31 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:
...and the chances of the stowaway being alive prior to the fall after cruising at up to 40,000 ft for over eight hours would have been somewhere no greater than zero. :tombstone:


Meaning he’d have been dead shortly after take off ?!


It would have taken about 30 minutes to get to 40,000ft and he would have lost consciousness within a few minutes at that altitude. It would have been just like falling asleep.

https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/courses/atsc113 ... index.html


Landing gear bays are pressurized, are they not?
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1168
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:41 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

Meaning he’d have been dead shortly after take off ?!


It would have taken about 30 minutes to get to 40,000ft and he would have lost consciousness within a few minutes at that altitude. It would have been just like falling asleep.

https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/courses/atsc113 ... index.html


Landing gear bays are pressurized, are they not?

No they are not.
What would be the purpose for pressurizing them? A Pressure Vessel is heavy and under a lot of stress; plus, with the Doors, it'd be a nightmare to try and pressure them.
 
MileHFL400
Topic Author
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:24 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
vfw614 wrote:
Intersting piece of information from the LA TImes article linked above:

Federal Aviation Administration records show that of the 105 people known to have stowed away on flights around the world over the last 67 years, only 25 lived through the ordeal, a survival rate of 23.8%.


I would have thought that the odds were much worse.

It most likely have to do with the fact those are confirmed stowaways; how many of them fell over a body of water and are not counted in the statistics?


And how often do you think that happens ?
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 549
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:55 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
The BBC report said that the body was intact on hitting the ground, and the reason was that is was frozen solid. That must have been a terrible sight.


They also said it fell from "this plane" whilst showing footage of an IranAir A330.
 
kq747
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:59 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.

Why would they NOT argue it, when this kinda thing has happened involving Kenya and/or KQ, so many times?!


So this was their 2019 dead stowaway incident..... right on schedule, historically.


And here's their 2018 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.radarbox24.com/news/breakin ... nding-gear

And their 2017 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/s ... e.2525685/

And their 2014 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27902133

And their 2013 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article ... ays-flight


All these other flights originated outside Kenya so I don't think you can say Kenyan security is generally lax...
 
OB1504
Posts: 3649
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:12 pm

DFWuser wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
People are still doing this? How come the retracted wheels don't crush them?


The wheel wells have pockets where a person can fit. Assuming that the person does not get crushed by the landing gear, cause of death would most likely be due to freezing temperatures or impact with the ground a few seconds after gear-down during final approach.

Image


Occasionally they survive. I saw a stowaway emerge from the wheel well of an A321 at MIA and run toward an active runway. I was flabbergasted.
 
waly777
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Since this happened in Kenya, many here will argue how security is lax over there.

Why would they NOT argue it, when this kinda thing has happened involving Kenya and/or KQ, so many times?!


So this was their 2019 dead stowaway incident..... right on schedule, historically.


And here's their 2018 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.radarbox24.com/news/breakin ... nding-gear

And their 2017 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/s ... e.2525685/

And their 2014 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27902133

And their 2013 dead stowaway incident:
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article ... ays-flight

And their........


Did you even bother to read the mentioned articles?

Your 2018 article says the flight originated from Accra

Your 2017 articles references this current incident

The 2014 article references an incident in 2015 where a dead body was found on the runway in NBO and is unknown if it was a perimeter breach or fell from a plane.

The 2013 flight originated from Mumbai.

I.e. nothing you've mentioned points to lax security at NBO.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 pm

People are desperate, period. Some of you need to have some compassion for your fellow human beings.

Even the title of this thread is pretty disgusting!
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380
 
xmp125a
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:56 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:
...and the chances of the stowaway being alive prior to the fall after cruising at up to 40,000 ft for over eight hours would have been somewhere no greater than zero. :tombstone:


Not necessarily. There has been at least one example of person actually surviving all the way to the gear deployment, and being killed in the fall.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1168
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:08 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
vfw614 wrote:
Intersting piece of information from the LA TImes article linked above:



I would have thought that the odds were much worse.

It most likely have to do with the fact those are confirmed stowaways; how many of them fell over a body of water and are not counted in the statistics?


And how often do you think that happens ?

I'd say more often than reported.
105 person over 67 years, that's 3 every other year; I wouldn't be surprised if the number of stowaways was closer to 3 or more every year, especially during a period 30-50 years ago (the past 15 years have seen tightening security rules worldwide).
 
westgate
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 pm

LAXLHR wrote:
People are desperate, period. Some of you need to have some compassion for your fellow human beings.

Even the title of this thread is pretty disgusting!


But we have absolutely no idea as to what actually motivated this person to make such a perilous journey in the first place, where they actually came from and what their quality of life was actually like.

Many young travellers from wealthy developed nations travel all over the world and unfortunately meet their untimely end in various accidents. Would you describe them as 'desperate' as well ?

Young men make up the majority of irregular migrants worldwide, many are driven by a sense of adventure (just like how their counterparts from wealthier countries take risky journeys to developing nations), and of course a chance to improve their economic well-being. I am not aware of any significant wars/famines occuring in Kenya at the moment.

As I had explained in detail in a previous post (deleted I believe as I included an outside link), many Western nations such as the UK have established very strong pull factors for migrants due to overly generous asylum systems and lucrative black markets for illegal employment, either real or simply just perceived. Many migrants lives were really not all that bad back at home but being predominantly adventurous young men, they take a risk to reach the supposed benefits of residing in wealthier nations, and some, like this unfortunate individual, ultimately pay with their lives.

I don't think there's anything wrong with openly discussing such issues. If the general public don't fully understand what causes such individuals to undertake such fatal journeys, then nothing will ever be done to prevent them from occuring in the future. The topic of immigration is sometimes so taboo, that it actually makes the issue a lot worse, instead of helping to improve it in any way.
 
Etheereal
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:44 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 pm

LAXLHR wrote:
People are desperate, period. Some of you need to have some compassion for your fellow human beings.

Even the title of this thread is pretty disgusting!

Stop that, dont turn this thread into a pity one.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:
 
DFWuser
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:42 pm

LAXLHR wrote:
Even the title of this thread is pretty disgusting!


It's not. It merely states a fact.
SF3 CR7 E75 M88 M90 L10 319 320 321 32B 332 333 343 388 712 722 732 733 73G 738 744 752 763 772 773 77W 788 789 78J
 
FCOTSTW
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:19 pm

According to BBC News, this is something that happens on average once every five years.
Imagine sunbathing in your backyard and next thing you know a frozen body plummets from the sky three feet away from you, splatting blood on you and anything around you.
Quite a trauma there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48830212
 
RalXWB
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:45 pm

I remember that sad picture of a boy falling out of the plane in Japan in the 70s if i remember correctly.
 
77H
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 pm

For all those bashing security in foreign (non-US) countries, as if our sh*t don’t stink...
As another poster above mentioned, a teenaged boy successfully hitched a ride on a HA 763 operating SJC-OGG some years back. And let’s not forget the guy who made it as far as jumping on the wing of a DL MD88 in ATL, the world’s busiest airport, within the last 2 years. I still seem memes on social media about that one...

If that’s not good enough to highlight the shortcomings of the bastion that is aviation security in the US, need I remind everyone of the QX employee who was somehow able to so readily commandeer a company Q400 at one of the busiest airports in the country and joy ride through the skies above Puget Sound... for a time...

Oh and how quickly we’ve forgotten 9/11... the single biggest aviation security lapse in aviation history.

Glasses houses friends...
Easy to tell the 4th is approaching. American arrogance in this thread is palpable.

77H
 
TheOldDude
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:27 pm

There's a logical fallacy in measuring security across a myriad of locations solely by the number of extremely rare events that occur at particular locations. The vastly greater number of airports than stow aways indicates most, or nearly all, airports may not have been tried by stow aways. So let's get away from "XYZ has poor security because an extremely rare event occurred there".
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1168
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm

77H wrote:
For all those bashing security in foreign (non-US) countries, as if our sh*t don’t stink...
As another poster above mentioned, a teenaged boy successfully hitched a ride on a HA 763 operating SJC-OGG some years back. And let’s not forget the guy who made it as far as jumping on the wing of a DL MD88 in ATL, the world’s busiest airport, within the last 2 years. I still seem memes on social media about that one...

If that’s not good enough to highlight the shortcomings of the bastion that is aviation security in the US, need I remind everyone of the QX employee who was somehow able to so readily commandeer a company Q400 at one of the busiest airports in the country and joy ride through the skies above Puget Sound... for a time...

Oh and how quickly we’ve forgotten 9/11... the single biggest aviation security lapse in aviation history.

Glasses houses friends...
Easy to tell the 4th is approaching. American arrogance in this thread is palpable.

77H

You might want to get off your high horse here...

The QX employee who "borrowed" the Q400 had every reason to be on the airport premises, and it was not until it was too late that people understood what happened.
Are you going to block everyone displayed a proper SIDA and company badge???

As far as 9/11, remember the security back then was much more lax, WORLDWIDE (at least in the free world and, most likely, with the exception of Israel); so, yeah, it's easy to throw stones when you 77H live in a glass house too...
 
TheOldDude
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 pm

All this talk about whether security is adequate or not, and I sense that few understand what security is. Take a moment and provide a concise definition of "secure", particularly when an airport is "secure". Keep it to less than three sentences. As you think about it you may come to realize that security is a process and not a state, and that the process continually changes the state. When you do so also think about how non-sensical the security tangent is in this thread.
 
77H
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:45 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
77H wrote:
For all those bashing security in foreign (non-US) countries, as if our sh*t don’t stink...
As another poster above mentioned, a teenaged boy successfully hitched a ride on a HA 763 operating SJC-OGG some years back. And let’s not forget the guy who made it as far as jumping on the wing of a DL MD88 in ATL, the world’s busiest airport, within the last 2 years. I still seem memes on social media about that one...

If that’s not good enough to highlight the shortcomings of the bastion that is aviation security in the US, need I remind everyone of the QX employee who was somehow able to so readily commandeer a company Q400 at one of the busiest airports in the country and joy ride through the skies above Puget Sound... for a time...

Oh and how quickly we’ve forgotten 9/11... the single biggest aviation security lapse in aviation history.

Glasses houses friends...
Easy to tell the 4th is approaching. American arrogance in this thread is palpable.

77H

You might want to get off your high horse here...

The QX employee who "borrowed" the Q400 had every reason to be on the airport premises, and it was not until it was too late that people understood what happened.
Are you going to block everyone displayed a proper SIDA and company badge???

As far as 9/11, remember the security back then was much more lax, WORLDWIDE (at least in the free world and, most likely, with the exception of Israel); so, yeah, it's easy to throw stones when you 77H live in a glass house too...


Just so that we’re on the same page here... you are telling me to dismount my supposed “high horse” for reminding several posters who are putting their nose up at airport security in the elsewheres of the world that we in the United States don’t run an air-tight security blanket in the realm of aviation either? Did I get that right? You’re telling me to get off my high horse for telling others to get off theirs?

And I supposedly live in a glass house too for providing examples of lapses in American aviation security to refute the arrogant stance some posters have decided to take on this subject ? As an American, speaking to what I see as blatant American arrogance at the notion that these types of events don’t happen here, isn’t it rather obviously I realize the glass house in which I inhabit and seek only to remind others who reside in similar structures?

77H
 
KlimaBXsst
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Well apparently...and let me see how I can phrase this "delicately" for the …….., certain countries need to BETTER EDUCATE their populace of the dangers of stowing away in the none passenger cabin compartments of an airplane.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: KQ100 drops a stowaway

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:56 pm

The cleanup of this sad incident was carried out by a friends' company. Not pleasant at all, it has certainly forever changed the life of the poor sunbather who witnessed it and was covered in human remains.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos