Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Morgenstern1234
Topic Author

Korean air ends flights to nadi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:42 am

https://simpleflying.com/korean-air-ends-fiji-flights/ pretty bad news for Fiji right now!

ausfoo

Re: Korean air ends flights to nadi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:54 am

They also pulled out of ICN-ROR recently

bhxalex

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:57 am

Already been reported on here

devron

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 am

Morgenstern1234 wrote:
pretty bad news for Fiji right now!

Well Fiji airways is increasing flight into the wider region (Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong) so it is not the end of the world.

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:39 am

Sad, this route has been around since around 1994 initially had a tag to AKL with MD11s, there was a brief suspension during the Asian financial crisis around 1998/99 before it returned with a 773 then 744 tagged to AKL still. Since 2003 it’s been 332/333 ICN-NAN-ICN, I’d say the victim of a wider network review for KE, I’m not sure if it actually ever made money.

Perhaps a chance for FJ to add ICN?

x1234

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:45 am

They should use the resources to launch Saipan SPN instead. Its a US territory near Guam that's nearly impossible to get to from the US without double layovers or flying on a LCC or OZ. With the DL-KE JV it should be profitable with connections from the US (especially IAD).

Morgenstern1234
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 am

Korean air flies to some pretty exotic destinations these days like Vladivostok Saint Petersburg, Tashkent, Zagreb, Kathmandu, Tel Aviv....

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:10 am

x1234 wrote:
They should use the resources to launch Saipan SPN instead. Its a US territory near Guam that's nearly impossible to get to from the US without double layovers or flying on a LCC or OZ. With the DL-KE JV it should be profitable with connections from the US (especially IAD).

Would that even be legal? I know KE can't sell US-US but could DL sell DL*-DL* all KE metal or DL-DL*/KE metal from US mainland to SPN/GUM?
I don't take responsibility at all

ITSTours

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Would that even be legal? I know KE can't sell US-US but could DL sell DL*-DL* all KE metal or DL-DL*/KE metal from US mainland to SPN/GUM?

DL-DL*/KE Yes.
DTW-ICN-GUM is being sold.

DL*-DL* all KE metal No.
LAX-ICN-GUM is not being sold.
LAX-SEA-ICN-GUM (DL-DL-KE) is being sold.

Philippine747

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 am

How were the loads on this route? I find it to be one of the more interesting route pairs around.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

x1234

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03 am

MaverickM11, due to cabotage laws an international airline cannot fly between 2 US territories so the flight search engines list flights to GUM/SPN with a foreign airline (e.g. DL or UA/AA) and KE/OZ with a domestic connection if needed to make it legal.

zakuivcustom

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:50 pm

According to this, ~8000 South Korean visited Fiji every year, so that's about 22 PDEW.

https://www.statsfiji.gov.fj/index.php/ ... ls-va-2018

In another word, essentially the flight relied on connection (to/from Europe), something that's just not all that profitable. Plus if the article is correct, KE is usually the cheapest option. To an airline, that's a black flag.

At the end of the day, there are connection available elsewhere (i.e. NRT/HKG/SIN) that can carry the same traffic (Europe->Fiji), so it's not the end of the world for Fiji.

Morgenstern1234 wrote:
Korean air flies to some pretty exotic destinations these days like Vladivostok Saint Petersburg, Tashkent, Zagreb, Kathmandu, Tel Aviv....

TAS is not exotic at all - there are a fair number of ethnic Koreans in Uzbekistan.
VVO is a tourism route AFAIK.
ZAG is fairly new anyway, plus Croatia is getting "discovered" and is a fairly trendy destination.

I wouldn't comment too much on the other routes.

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 pm

x1234 wrote:

Ignoring the matter of cabotage, why do you think there's any meaningful demand mainland U.S. to Saipan? The Marianas Visitors Authority points to trivial passenger numbers.

ZK-NBT

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:42 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
According to this, ~8000 South Korean visited Fiji every year, so that's about 22 PDEW.

In another word, essentially the flight relied on connection (to/from Europe), something that's just not all that profitable. Plus if the article is correct, KE is usually the cheapest option. To an airline, that's a black flag.

At the end of the day, there are connection available elsewhere (i.e. NRT/HKG/SIN) that can carry the same traffic (Europe->Fiji), so it's not the end of the world for Fiji.

Morgenstern1234 wrote:

TAS is not exotic at all - there are a fair number of ethnic Koreans in Uzbekistan.
ZAG is fairly new anyway, plus Croatia is getting "discovered" and is a fairly trendy destination.

KE are the only carrier who can carry European pax right through however and they are the last foreign long haul carrier serving NAN, while not the end of the world it is sad for Fiji. But likely a sensible decision for KE.

Maybe they will get a Chinese carrier? And FJ have been said to be looking at China.

77H

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:05 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Morgenstern1234 wrote:

KE are the only carrier who can carry European pax right through however and they are the last foreign long haul carrier serving NAN, while not the end of the world it is sad for Fiji. But likely a sensible decision for KE.

Maybe they will get a Chinese carrier? And FJ have been said to be looking at China.

While it’s perhaps no longer possible for Europeans to travel solely on 1 carrier to NAN from Europe now that KE is dropping the route, FJ, operates in to HKG, NRT and SIN, and codeshares with CX, JL and SQ. I’m sure it’s possible for a European embarking on a Fijian vacation to book on 1 ticket. Hell, FJ code shares with AA and BA if you prefer routing over NorAm.

77H

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos