BML87
Topic Author
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Canadian low cost carrier has announced non-stop Edmonton to San Diego and Abbotsford to San Diego, both three times weekly starting October 4.

https://www.flyswoop.com/news/fly-with- ... san-diego/
 
YYZORD
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 pm

By any chance will Swoop ever partner with F9? F9 already serves YYC and could provide connections to other US destinations at DEN from YHM, YXX, and YEG.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2146
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:35 pm

YYZORD wrote:
By any chance will Swoop ever partner with F9? F9 already serves YYC and could provide connections to other US destinations at DEN from YHM, YXX, and YEG.


Swoop at present don't do connections. YXX-SAN...never would have thought of that one in a million years.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Exciting and interesting news! When Swoop first started flying, I wondered if they might eventually be interested in SAN? I guess I have my answer.

I do wish them good luck with the routes and assume they did their homework adequately. WS has been here several years and has 2 routes which seem to be doing well so the company does have experience here.

We currently have service to Canada only thru YVR, YYC and YYZ. I have wondered if there was adequate traffic to such places as YEG, YUL, and YWG to support service? I guess that's 2 answers I now have. Abbotsford is a bit of a head-scratcher but we'll find out if WestJet/Swoop called that one right... Someone must've carefully studied the traffic between BLI and SAN on Allegiant, as well as YVR and SAN on WS and AC, and gotten some healthy numbers originating out of YXX.

It's very nice to have a new livery calling at SAN, especially an int'l one! Good luck Swoop and welcome to America's Finest City!

bb
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5449
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:58 pm

SANFan wrote:
Someone must've carefully studied the traffic between BLI and SAN on Allegiant, as well as YVR and SAN on WS and AC, and gotten some healthy numbers originating out of YXX.


That Canada origin is going to bring a ton of taxes and fees that BLI-SAN doesn't carry. That's CAN$128 on a CDN 337 r/t fare YVR-SAN. The taxes on a CDN 336 fare SEA-SAN r/t are CDN 58.
 
9252fly
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 am

The YXX SAN route is interesting as the flight will not be pre-cleared by US CBP, unlike the YEG SAN route where US CBP can pre-clear the flight.
 
9252fly
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:13 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Someone must've carefully studied the traffic between BLI and SAN on Allegiant, as well as YVR and SAN on WS and AC, and gotten some healthy numbers originating out of YXX.


That Canada origin is going to bring a ton of taxes and fees that BLI-SAN doesn't carry. That's CAN$128 on a CDN 337 r/t fare YVR-SAN. The taxes on a CDN 336 fare SEA-SAN r/t are CDN 58.


Most of the difference in the taxes are related to US Customs and Immigration fees that apply to international arrivals, It's just under $100.00 CAD.
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:03 am

Good news! That would make Swoop the third Canadian airline to serve SAN. Unless you count AC Express and AC Rouge as one airline.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:38 am

9252fly wrote:
The YXX SAN route is interesting as the flight will not be pre-cleared by US CBP, unlike the YEG SAN route where US CBP can pre-clear the flight.


You answered my question before I could ask it. Thank you!

The flight times look as though the planes are routed YXX-SAN-YEG and YEG-SAN-YXX:

dp YEG 800 AM WO730 738
ar SAN 1033 AM
dp SAN 1120 AM WO727 738
ar YXX 210 PM

dp YXX 310 PM WO828 738
ar SAN 555 PM
dp SAN 710 PM WO731 738
ar YEG 1135 PM
 
yegbey01
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:04 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:02 am

Really pleased to see YEG-SAN. In general, Southern California is not well served from YEG and this should do well. Kind of surprising that WS has not turned PSP into Swoop yet.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:12 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
9252fly wrote:
The YXX SAN route is interesting as the flight will not be pre-cleared by US CBP, unlike the YEG SAN route where US CBP can pre-clear the flight.


You answered my question before I could ask it. Thank you!
The flight times look as though the planes are routed YXX-SAN-YEG and YEG-SAN-YXX:
dp YEG 800 AM WO730 738
ar SAN 1033 AM
dp SAN 1120 AM WO727 738
ar YXX 210 PM

dp YXX 310 PM WO828 738
ar SAN 555 PM
dp SAN 710 PM WO731 738
ar YEG 1135 PM

Yes, 9252's comment about pre-clearance (or lack thereof) explains the longer evening layover at SAN (5:55-7:10pm) of the YXX arrival.

The above-noted sked is for Fri and Sun. Tue has a YEG-SAN-YEG only which turns in SAN from 12:23pm - 1:15pm. I like the skeds.

bb
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:37 am

BTW, the press release/announcement referenced in the OP says both YEG and YXX are to be served 3x weekly, (Tu, Fr, Su) from SAN. The WO schedules however show YEG at 3x weekly but YXX only 2x per week...

Troublesome details which some cx just don't seem to worry about.... Sounds like there were some last minute changes made. Unfortunately, it's 3 months 'til the inaugural so we'll see what else happens with this.

bb
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:44 pm

SANFan wrote:
BTW, the press release/announcement referenced in the OP says both YEG and YXX are to be served 3x weekly, (Tu, Fr, Su) from SAN. The WO schedules however show YEG at 3x weekly but YXX only 2x per week...


A post on the San Diego Spotting Facebook page states that the Tuesday YXX flight starts in February 2020.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Or not...

Appears that everything referring to new SAN service has disappeared from the website, including the route map. Our SAN.org website has also dropped the story of the announcement of the new service.

Anybody got any reasons for this change or is this just the way Swoop does business? It has been stated that WO did the same 'announce-and-drop' with OAK...

bb
 
USAavdork
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

SANFan: I have official confirmation due to the MAX issues, Swoop is delaying SAN until 2020. Also, did you get my emails?!
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: Swoop announces YEG-SAN, YXX-SAN

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:43 pm

I never realized how much the 737 MAX groundings have impacted the airlines.
PSA Gives you a lift!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos