gatibosgru
Topic Author

Re: Delta improves intl Main Cabin experience

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 pm

LAXLHR wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
Let's take a look at how this differs from the current international main cabin offerings :

1. Bellini service replaces the first full beverage service that came with cocktail snacks. So if you want a diet coke or a gin and tonic, you're gonna have to wait for the beverage cart that accompanies the meal. Also, no snacks served with the bellini.

2. Although a choice of appetizers has been added, you actually get less than what you get currently since the fruit and cheese and salad that are currently served with the meal are being removed.

3. Dessert will now be served separately following the meal so if you're trying to maximize your sleep on the flight, you're going to have to wait a while longer if you want a sweet treat before your slumber.

4. Hot towels are currently offered after take off and landing so no change there.

5. Chocolates are currently offered before landing so no change there either.

Seems like a lot of brouhaha over nothing. If anything, main cabin passengers are getting less, not more. But Delta is excellent at putting a positive spin on these things and kudos to them for being able to do that and have people buy into it.

AGREED!!

Anyone that thinks DL is spending more $$$ on this lives in fantasy land. DL is very very good at the presentation of things. With that said, it presents very very well, people (on a.net) will buy into it and continue to believe that DL Y (and DL overall) is better than SQ, EK, KE etc LMAO!!...hysterical.

I am not saying DL is rubbish! Far from it, I think they have done an exceptional job, granted they had a massive head start over AA and UA mergers, and had excellent mojo from NW without a doubt. BUT no, I don't buy any of this. DL is about making money, and this will do just that. Very smart at DL HQ, and ummm, well people will believe.

If something is better than something else it is solely a matter of opinion, and debating whether someone is right or wrong for saying they enjoyed their DL more so than KE it is useless since opinions are individual.

DL still offers a better Y experience than any long haul US airline, so it's not just PR or marketing. Of course DL wants to make money, they're not a charity. But they also command a premium and use it to their advantage. Would love to hear your explanation on DL keeping their 777s 3x3x3, certainly they'd make more money with an extra Y seat per row.
@DadCelo

questions

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Its fascinating to me to see airlines slowly but consistently, year after year, put back in all the things they took out when they were hemorrhaging money during the lean years.

This is ALL window dressing. During the next economic downturn all of this will be the first to go.

For example:
In an effort to give customers more of what they want, Delta is thrilled to make the following changes to our international main cabin service:

- Two meal choices on all flights. Passengers will be offered Penne Pasta with Tomato Sauce or Baked Chicken with Tomato Honey Sauce
- Passengers will be offered a Biscoff Cookie upon boarding to be eaten as their inflight snack anytime during their flight
- All alcoholic beverages will cost 10 USD
- Inflight entertainment will be offered at a flat rate of 10 USD for unlimited use during the flight

Based on customer feedback all other Main Cabin amenities have been discontinued.

Delta has learned how to make money. They will pull back during future economic downturns and add back when times are better. This is not a bad thing.

FlyHappy

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 pm

Delta is close to winding back Y travel to 1985 or so.
Minus the 34" pitch, and extra inches of seat padding.

Yes, I get the (mostly) cheaper fares, additions of IFE/wifi, no need to get excited.
I'm actually serious when I say back to '85, which is a compliment.

Good for Delta - they are small things, but they all add up. Delta does seem to do a little more for Y than the other 2, and frankly, aside from the non-PRC Asian carriers, do it as well as anyone, anywhere.

tonystan

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:54 pm

I can’t believe how easily pleased you all are. This offering is just awful. And to think Americans come on the likes of BA and complain! And is there really no second service? Just a hot towel and a tiny piece of chocolate?

Wow!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

MSPNWA

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:04 pm

What I'm finding interesting is how DL is focused on the Y product and largely letting the J product fall behind their closest competitors. It's hard to monetize Y changes.

TransWorldOne wrote:
Seems like a lot of brouhaha over nothing. If anything, main cabin passengers are getting less, not more. But Delta is excellent at putting a positive spin on these things and kudos to them for being able to do that and have people buy into it.

Well said. We should let this shake out before believing it's an enhancement. DL is very, very good and making you think you're getting more. The information given may mean an overall downgrade.

ACCS300 wrote:
All great Y seating options on international flights on DL, 3-3-3 777s, 3-3-3 A350s, 2-4-2 A330s or 2-3-2 767s, winners all around, no 3-4-3 777s or miserable 3-3-3 787s, that plus the enhanced meal service sounds great for Y, well done DL, hope others follow.

Amazing how a half inch difference means one is a "winner" and the other "miserable". I think you've been hoodwinked.

questions

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:10 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
questions wrote:
No doubt these changes were all made in a cost neutral way.

Why is there no doubt? You've seen the financials at the very highest levels of the organization?

Do you have specific, sourced information stating Delta is spending more money on Main Cabin catering? Of course not.

Hint: If Delta was spending more money for international Main Cabin catering they would say so.

Delta is spending enormous amounts of money on CapEx initiatives that will not only enhance the overall passenger experience but also improve operational performance. They are very forthcoming about the billions of dollars they are spending. Catering on the other hand is a window dressing expense that decreases margins. It needs to be just good enough. Delta has done a really good job adding little, inexpensive touches to the Main Cabin product to add just enough touch of modern pizzazz to support the airline’s brand.

questions

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:12 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
What I'm finding interesting is how DL is focused on the Y product and largely letting the J product fall behind their closest competitors.

How is DL letting their J product fall behind?

Not disputing, just would like some examples. Thanks!

MSPNWA

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 pm

questions wrote:

-No premium lounges
-Soft product stagnant to degrading (particularly domestic D1)
-Very slow J seat replacement process
-New 767 J seats will remain bottom tier

Strange to see them focus on the Y product so much when J is where the money is at.

Midwestindy

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm

N649DL wrote:
The cocktails after boarding is going to be tough for the F/A's to serve and clean up before takeoff I would imagine.

Exactly what I was wondering when I first saw this.....

tonystan wrote:
I can’t believe how easily pleased you all are. This offering is just awful. And to think Americans come on the likes of BA and complain! And is there really no second service? Just a hot towel and a tiny piece of chocolate?

Wow!

RyanairGuru wrote:
I'll give it to Delta, that's some masterful marketing.

Delta is just the latest airline to adopt the meal service pioneered by Qantas about 5 years ago and since adopted by several others, most recently Etihad.

It's a passenger unfriendly move as it reduces the amount of food. What I find particularly alarming is that at least QF and EY both made a big song and dance in their PR about increasing the size of entree/main (to compensate for everything taken away, but of course the marketing didn't mention that) but Delta doesn't even do that which makes me think it will stay the same. Prepare to be hungry!

Why are you and others comparing DL to airlines like EY? DL isn't trying to pretend to be something that they aren't, they are simply making minor improvements to Y travel.

The amount of backlash this release has gotten on this thread is wild. To compare the DL experience to Qantas or Etihad or whoever is a waste of time, everyone knows there are a different set of standards on a DL plane vs. an EY plane.

Regardless, the real thing DL is trying to do is differentiate itself from AA and UA
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

DDR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:26 pm

tonystan wrote:

Wow!

Wow, you're so wrong. There is still a mid flight snack and there is still a continental breakfast. The piece of chocolate is served just prior to landing - it does not replace a meal (just like Swiss). Good grief calm down.

seat38a

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 pm

LOL so Delta brought back the old Northwest A La Carte meal service with some dressing up. I hope they will not serve it on the paper plates like Northwest did.

DDR

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:41 pm

seat38a wrote:
LOL so Delta brought back the old Northwest A La Carte meal service with some dressing up. I hope they will not serve it on the paper plates like Northwest did.

In the very first post - “custom-designed dinnerware with upgraded cutlery”

9w748capt

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:48 pm

questions wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Dougie must be fuming! DL will force his hand into actually investing in LCC's product now. Horrible day for him.

Nah. He’ll remain in the race to the bottom — remember, why offer the customer more when the customer will not pay more?

And therein lies the rub. Clearly people seem to pay more to fly Delta, and that's reflected in their respective financials. I wonder why that is?

FlyHappy

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:48 pm

tonystan wrote:

Wow!

I am decades out of first hand experience, but reputationally, it seems to me that BA Y long haul is widely criticized. Am I wrong?
The volume of service is directly related to the length of the flight - nothing new at all, and this change changes none of that.

Is there something about adding a pre-flight drink, hot towels, a seperate dessert service and a small chocolate prior to landing either a) bother you in some way or b) indicate that something is being subtracted?
In what way is BA's Y service better?

questions

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:17 am

MSPNWA wrote:
questions wrote:

-No premium lounges
-Soft product stagnant to degrading (particularly domestic D1)
-Very slow J seat replacement process
-New 767 J seats will remain bottom tier

Strange to see them focus on the Y product so much when J is where the money is at.

Thanks.

Since a lot of corporate international flyers have to fly Y, does DL’s ability to demonstrate a more desirable Y experience (real or perceived) have any impact on its ability to sign more corporate contracts?

FlyingElvii

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 am

ASFlyer wrote:
I've flown main cabin international on Delta a number of times and the product they had was really nice. This looks like a bit of a downgrade for the meal. Last time I flew on them there was an appetizer, salad, entree, roll and dessert and cheese and crackers. It was all on a single tray but seems to have been more than what they're showing here. Also, is the bellini going to take the place of the first beverage service with the snack mix/nuts or is it in addition to? Will there still be a mid-flight snack and arrival meal on most flights? Improvements are always a good thing but the product they had was probably one of the better international services in main cabin from the U.S.

That's what I thought, as well, a downgrade being spun as an upgrade.

FlyingElvii

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:36 am

DDR wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Wow!

Wow, you're so wrong. There is still a mid flight snack and there is still a continental breakfast. The piece of chocolate is served just prior to landing - it does not replace a meal (just like Swiss). Good grief calm down.

rally? The menu provided does not say anything about breakfast.

AlexBrewster03

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:26 am

tonystan wrote:

Wow!

DL is absolutely not getting rid of a second or third meal services. Just go dummy book a long haul flight and look at meal services. If DL did this, it would be terrible and they know better than to do that. They are just improving on the existing meal services

N649DL

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:01 am

Midwestindy wrote:
N649DL wrote:
The cocktails after boarding is going to be tough for the F/A's to serve and clean up before takeoff I would imagine.

Exactly what I was wondering when I first saw this.....

tonystan wrote:

Wow!

RyanairGuru wrote:

Delta is just the latest airline to adopt the meal service pioneered by Qantas about 5 years ago and since adopted by several others, most recently Etihad.

It's a passenger unfriendly move as it reduces the amount of food. What I find particularly alarming is that at least QF and EY both made a big song and dance in their PR about increasing the size of entree/main (to compensate for everything taken away, but of course the marketing didn't mention that) but Delta doesn't even do that which makes me think it will stay the same. Prepare to be hungry!

Why are you and others comparing DL to airlines like EY? DL isn't trying to pretend to be something that they aren't, they are simply making minor improvements to Y travel.

The amount of backlash this release has gotten on this thread is wild. To compare the DL experience to Qantas or Etihad or whoever is a waste of time, everyone knows there are a different set of standards on a DL plane vs. an EY plane.

Regardless, the real thing DL is trying to do is differentiate itself from AA and UA

Someone corrected me after I posted that. Apparently the cocktails are served after the flight is already in air before the F/A's do initial beverage service, not on the ground.

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:27 am

If they bring back meals on domestic flights and not charge for baggage, they will be a top carrier in the world!

USAirALB

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
DDR wrote:
tonystan wrote:

Wow!

rally? The menu provided does not say anything about breakfast.

A still shot of the video shown where pax are looking at the menus clearly states "pre-arrival meal".
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

airzona11

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:43 am

tonystan wrote:

Wow!

So they improved the service and rational comments are “nice to see them improving the Y service” yet somehow that is unbecoming of people to make those comments. Comical.

DL offers a great service up front in J and adding PY. They have Y+. Now Y is getting better service. DL nor anyone on here is saying Y is now J.

Even the posters who hate the 777 can’t throw shade at DL with them being 9across.

airzona11

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:46 am

MSPNWA wrote:
What I'm finding interesting is how DL is focused on the Y product and largely letting the J product fall behind their closest competitors. It's hard to monetize Y changes.

TransWorldOne wrote:

Well said. We should let this shake out before believing it's an enhancement. DL is very, very good and making you think you're getting more. The information given may mean an overall downgrade.

ACCS300 wrote:
All great Y seating options on international flights on DL, 3-3-3 777s, 3-3-3 A350s, 2-4-2 A330s or 2-3-2 767s, winners all around, no 3-4-3 777s or miserable 3-3-3 787s, that plus the enhanced meal service sounds great for Y, well done DL, hope others follow.

Amazing how a half inch difference means one is a "winner" and the other "miserable". I think you've been hoodwinked.

They have monetized the Y changes. Look at their financials. The A350 J is as best as their is. Their earning on par if not better than other carriers in J. Their financials don’t support any of your assertions.

questions

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:48 am

Ziyulu wrote:
If they bring back meals on domestic flights and not charge for baggage, they will be a top carrier in the world!

How are you measuring “top carrier in the world”?

DL makes a ton of money from baggage fees. It’s easy money. If they give it up they’d have to find revenue from elsewhere to make up for it. Given how much they bring in that round be hard to do. DL would therefore be a less profitable airline.

KSAAirliner

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:50 am

How come Delta claims to be the first to introduce such a service when Saudia had it since 2017 !

questions

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:54 am

USAirALB wrote:
...pax are looking at the menus...

From a waste perspective I don’t understand why DL uses menus in Y. Delta has invested a lot of money in seatback screens in Y. They should ditch the paper menus and place them on the IFE. Less waste. One less thing for Y passengers to store/keep track of.

TW870

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:56 am

The cost savings for this service is in labor. Flight kitchen workers are organizing in a big campaign with the UNITE union across the country, and overwork and short staffing are key issues. Doing this service bistro style (or a la carte as NWA used to call it) saves kitchen labor, as the tray and cart setup is less labor intensive. Thus, management can meet demands for better staffing without actually hiring more workers, as there will be fewer things to do (the workers will have something to say about this!). This effectively transfers labor to flight attendants, as there is much more to do at the outset of the main meal service with the distribution of the place mats, silverware, etc. I know they tried it on PDX-NRT, and they must be okay with how it went. But overall people above seem worried that they are taking things away from passengers. This does not appear to be the case. Instead, the cost savings is in making fewer workers work harder.

MSPNWA

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:06 am

questions wrote:
Since a lot of corporate international flyers have to fly Y, does DL’s ability to demonstrate a more desirable Y experience (real or perceived) have any impact on its ability to sign more corporate contracts?

Wouldn't know, but why would corporate contracts worry about minor (in the grand scheme of things) enhancements to long-haul Y service? You'd think schedule/network, performance, and service, among other things, would easily trump a placemat or hot towel.

airzona11 wrote:
They have monetized the Y changes. Look at their financials. The A350 J is as best as their is. Their earning on par if not better than other carriers in J. Their financials don’t support any of your assertions.

Their financials don't support your assertions either, and your assertion is dependent on evidence in the financials. Mine is not. It can be accurate with or without an aggregate profit advantage. Using aggregate financial figures is inadequate to prove your assertions.

737max8

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:59 am

...makes scoring a RT fare DFW-HND next March for 500 bucks even more exciting!
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

n7371f

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:06 am

I'm sure DL is asleep at the wheel and ignoring their premium revenues and focused on the back half. :shock: Did you see their updated financial numbers today? DAL is driving a revenue premium - in all cabins. This makes Scott Kirby Airlines I and II look even worse.

While we likely both miss NWA for different reasons, none of this would've been possible under NW - due to AFA contracts. I am intrigued by your critical comments about DAL's new INTL service standards that you might not be one of the thousands of AFA's who fought NW at every juncture - and hundreds who still do - because it required a little more work.

MSPNWA wrote:
questions wrote:

Wouldn't know, but why would corporate contracts worry about minor (in the grand scheme of things) enhancements to long-haul Y service? You'd think schedule/network, performance, and service, among other things, would easily trump a placemat or hot towel.

airzona11 wrote:

Their financials don't support your assertions either, and your assertion is dependent on evidence in the financials. Mine is not. It can be accurate with or without an aggregate profit advantage. Using aggregate financial figures is inadequate to prove your assertions.

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:17 am

DDR wrote:
seat38a wrote:

In the very first post - “custom-designed dinnerware with upgraded cutlery”

This seems a lot like UA's rollout in 2015, though knowing UA's flawless execution and catlike reflexes to market challenges, I'd be surprised if it's still around :rotfl:

https://hub.united.com/united-new-inter ... 72991.html

n7371f wrote:
I'm sure DL is asleep at the wheel and ignoring their premium revenues and focused on the back half. :shock: Did you see their updated financial numbers today? DAL is driving a revenue premium - in all cabins. This makes Scott Kirby Airlines I and II look even worse.

...all while actively managing airlines around the world, opening new focus cities/hubs, and operating the most seasoned fleet of the big 3, while DFW pancakes at the first sight of a thunderstorm. It's quite impressive.
E pur si muove -Galileo

MSPNWA

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:21 am

n7371f wrote:

Did I see them? Yes. Nothing that they hadn't forecast. Can you point us to where in their financials that shows they are monetizing Y due to "enhanced" service?

Either way, making it personal - completely inaccurately I might add - does nothing to the conversation.

tpaewr

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:24 am

I am always impressed along with a bit jealous and saddened when I fly DL. They are knocking it outta the park.

I used to work for an airline that was a leader. I am glad for the folks at DL they didn’t let the toxic culture at NW poison them.

WBM

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:07 am

As far as the changes go I tend to agree with those who say this is more PR than anything. I would guess that Delta is trying to make these improvements in a cost neutral way, while trying to get everyone to perceive it as an improvement. All I have to say about that is great. If they can find a way to make me perceive the final product as being better, at no extra charge, I'm all for it. I'm happy when any business tries to make my experience better. If they can do it at low to no extra cost, all the better.

ASFlyer

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:13 am

n7371f wrote:

While we likely both miss NWA for different reasons, none of this would've been possible under NW - due to AFA contracts. I am intrigued by your critical comments about DAL's new INTL service standards that you might not be one of the thousands of AFA's who fought NW at every juncture - and hundreds who still do - because it required a little more work.

I'm not aware of one single AFA contract that stipulates how the service is supposed to be done. In fact, I'm not aware of any airline in the U.S. whose FA union stipulates what service can and can't be done. The airlines are free to upgrade or downgrade the service as they see fit. Contractual language doesn't prevent this from happening.

questions

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 am

MSPNWA wrote:
questions wrote:

Not the tactical service design elements, e.g., placemats and hot towels, but the overall (real or perceived) better Y experience on DL (vs UA, AA, etc) for their employees.. plus the very important aspects of network, schedule, operational performance, perks for C-Suite and price.

questions

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 am

n7371f wrote:
...none of this would've been possible under NW - due to AFA contracts. I am intrigued by your critical comments about DAL's new INTL service standards that you might not be one of the thousands of AFA's who fought NW at every juncture - and hundreds who still do - because it required a little more work.

What do you mean? NW would not have been able to improve International Y class service because the FA’s AFA contract would have prevented NW from upgrading the service? For example, serving Bellinis, handing out placemats, providing hot towels and passing out chocolates would have been rejected by the union unless more FA’s were placed onboard and/or FA’s were paid more?

Lootess

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:04 am

seat38a wrote:

All Intl Y meals are served with Alessi silverware and trays, it's kind of a heavy wax-like plastic so the plates on-top don't move around.

oldannyboy

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:45 am

Wow. Well done DL! I'm really impressed.

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:24 pm

questions wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

How are you measuring “top carrier in the world”?

DL makes a ton of money from baggage fees. It’s easy money. If they give it up they’d have to find revenue from elsewhere to make up for it. Given how much they bring in that round be hard to do. DL would therefore be a less profitable airline.

So in other words, if the top international airlines start charging for bags, they will also make a lot more money? Can you imagine ANA, Singapore Airlines, Thai, Cathay Pacific starting to charge for bags on short haul flights?

timf

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Currently they hand out a full-size bottle of water just after takeoff. Perhaps the welcome cocktail is replacing this? That would be a mistake in my opinion, since even though there is frequent water service throughout the flight, it's nice to have the bottle for in between.

global1

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Bottom line is that Delta continues to widen the lead over it’s domestic competitors.

The goal post here is to become the #1 rated airline to Europe and Latin America and significantly improve our standing across the Pacific.

Delta does not rest on their laurels.

After the successful launch of the new Main Cabin service,
focus will shift to DeltaOne ,Premium Select, and then domestic First.

You either lead,follow, or get out of the way.
Hence,

Keep Climbing

SteelChair

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 pm

global1 wrote:
Bottom line is that Delta continues to widen the lead over it’s domestic competitors.

The goal post here is to become the #1 rated airline to Europe and Latin America and significantly improve our standing across the Pacific.

Delta does not rest on their laurels.

After the successful launch of the new Main Cabin service,
focus will shift to DeltaOne ,Premium Select, and then domestic First.

You either lead,follow, or get out of the way.
Hence,

Keep Climbing

I agree with this. The cumulative of these incremental improvements adds up. And as long as they keep making money, there s no reason to believe that they won't keep adding improvements. It will be interesting to see what comes next, since when you are aleady doing well it is dangerous to mess with things too much.

panamair

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:02 pm

timf wrote:
Currently they hand out a full-size bottle of water just after takeoff. Perhaps the welcome cocktail is replacing this? That would be a mistake in my opinion, since even though there is frequent water service throughout the flight, it's nice to have the bottle for in between.

Full-size water bottle is not going away; in the video in the press release you can see the crew handing out the water bottles from a cart. Amenity kit is not going away either and neither are the mid-flight snacks (available on certain longer flights) or the pre-arrival service (breakfast on eastbounds or snack on westbound).

Changes largely apply to the main meal service:

Today:
All on one tray: roll, salad, cheese and crackers, main course (with choice), dessert
Later: coffee, tea etc

Future:
All at once: roll, larger appetizer (with choice), larger main course (with choice)
Later: dessert, coffee, tea, etc.

So only loss would be the cheese and crackers, 'replaced' by larger portion sizes for the appetizer and main course.

And of course the other bells and whistles - post-takeoff bellinis, placemats for the main meal service, etc.

Planetalk

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pm

panamair wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

One difference is that QF and EY don't offer anything else but the main hot dish whereas DL offers a choice of appetizers in addition to a choice of the main course.

To be honest I'd gladly ditch the 'appetizer' served on most airlines and get a larger main dish, since the starter tends to just be a few sorry looking leaves these days, I really wonder what the point is. Cheese tends to be the differentiator for me, if an airline gives me cheese and crackers they've got a happy customer!

codc10

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 pm

It's a very nicely presented service and I give Delta credit for innovation and spin. But internal rumors are that this is actually a cost savings for Delta, since most caterers charge airlines for tray setups, where more items on the tray = higher cost. This actually reduces the galley packout, saving money. Cutting one pass of the bar cart is another area to save costs.

Entrees are boarded the same way (in oven carriers) but the rest of the service items (utensils/placements, plates, appetizers, etc.) are loaded in bulk, saving space and cost. Flight attendants I've spoken to are less than ambivalent about the new service simply because it's much more labor-intensive, with more passes through the cabin,and more work for galley flight attendants.

Delta looks at it as a win-win because it reduces catering costs while putting FAs in the aisle more often, which is tied to NPS. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

kimimm19

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Are people so gullable?

This is pretty much what United started doing... Basically it's taking what they've done for the most part already and deconstructing it.

So what you have instead of getting the pig with the lipstick already on, the lipstick comes after you've received the pig.

I'm prefer Delta in comparison to the other US3 but this is no upgrade... They should focus on less cramped cabins in their new A350s.

BravoOne

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:33 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
Are people so gullable?

This is pretty much what United started doing... Basically it's taking what they've done for the most part already and deconstructing it.

So what you have instead of getting the pig with the lipstick already on, the lipstick comes after you've received the pig.

I'm prefer Delta in comparison to the other US3 but this is no upgrade... They should focus on less cramped cabins in their new A350s.

How many flights have taken in the new A350 anyway?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:49 pm

codc10 wrote:
It's a very nicely presented service and I give Delta credit for innovation and spin. But internal rumors are that this is actually a cost savings for Delta, since most caterers charge airlines for tray setups, where more items on the tray = higher cost. This actually reduces the galley packout, saving money. Cutting one pass of the bar cart is another area to save costs.

Entrees are boarded the same way (in oven carriers) but the rest of the service items (utensils/placements, plates, appetizers, etc.) are loaded in bulk, saving space and cost. Flight attendants I've spoken to are less than ambivalent about the new service simply because it's much more labor-intensive, with more passes through the cabin,and more work for galley flight attendants.

Delta looks at it as a win-win because it reduces catering costs while putting FAs in the aisle more often, which is tied to NPS. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Thank you for a balanced and reasonable post, that provides additional context without the blantant fanboyism or hater bias.

I'm also curious about the timing of service and the various passes, particularly on some of the shorter, red-eye TATL flights.

questions

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:50 pm

BravoOne wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
Are people so gullable?

How many flights have taken in the new A350 anyway?

I didn’t find DL’s A359 to be cramped at all. And I loved that my seat had a sliding door.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos