dcajet
Topic Author

Norwegian to fly between MAD & SCL?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 pm

According to this Chilean publication (https://www.americaeconomia.com/negocio ... ago-madrid) Norwegian will launch flights between MAD & SCL before this year's end. Staff has already been hired in Chile.

It is not clear which of the Norwegian franchises would fly the route, but this would be in line with Norwegian's retrench from some North Atlantic routes from Scandinavia and their intention to fly more to South America and Asia. The publication says Norwegian also wants to fly from Chile to Argentina and Brazil.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Kadish

Re: Norwegian to fly between MAD & SCL?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:04 am

Wish them luck....They will need it

LVICS

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am

Wouldn't it make more sense starting flights between Chile and Argentina from the latter? They already have an Argentina based airline, and therefore (I assume) their own AOC.

x1234

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:25 am

Since the UK branch already flies LGW-EZE they should fly LGW-GRU & LGW-MEX first in Latin America. Remember in terms of population and economic activity Sao Paulo & Mexico City are #1 & #2. Though VS (Virgin Atlantic) is flying LHR-GRU soon.

EddieDude

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:49 pm

x1234 wrote:
they should fly LGW-GRU & LGW-MEX first in Latin America.

MEX-LON is well covered by BA and AM. It is true that the route lacks a non-stop LCC competitor, but I think there are many obstacles. Finding a slot at MEX would be almost impossible, and I am sure AM and BA would take swift action to either prevent Norwegian flying this route, or drive it out of the market in case it is actually started. Plus, I suspect LON-MEX is more of a business-oriented route, so in any case LON-CUN might make more sense, and that is not very auspicious at the moment with the severe sargasso problem in Riviera Maya.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

dcajet
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:20 pm

EddieDude wrote:
x1234 wrote:

MEX-LON is well covered by BA and AM. It is true that the route lacks a non-stop LCC competitor, but I think there are many obstacles. Finding a slot at MEX would be almost impossible, and I am sure AM and BA would take swift action to either prevent Norwegian flying this route, or drive it out of the market in case it is actually started. Plus, I suspect LON-MEX is more of a business-oriented route, so in any case LON-CUN might make more sense, and that is not very auspicious at the moment with the severe sargasso problem in Riviera Maya.

While I concur with you that getting slots at MEX would be a tall order, Norwegian and BA chase a different passenger, with little overlap between the two airlines. One can see that at EZE, where both operate daily flights to LHR and LGW respectively, both very successfully. One can say that Norwegian (as LEVEL) brings affordable travel to a market (South America - Europe) not exactly famous for its low fares. Could that be the case, eventually, at MEX?

seansasLCY

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:54 pm

dcajet wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
x1234 wrote:

While I concur with you that getting slots at MEX would be a tall order, Norwegian and BA chase a different passenger, with little overlap between the two airlines. One can see that at EZE, where both operate daily flights to LHR and LGW respectively, both very successfully. One can say that Norwegian (as LEVEL) brings affordable travel to a market (South America - Europe) not exactly famous for its low fares. Could that be the case, eventually, at MEX?

We know that's not entirely true. If they chased different passengers BA wouldn't have launched OAK, FLL and JFK from LGW to go head to head with Norwegian. BA thought that in the past the low cost carriers were after different passengers and now have Easyjet and Ryanair bigger than them. They are not making the same mistake again. It's also a reason that some of the 777s and going to 10 across.

dcajet
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:06 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
dcajet wrote:
EddieDude wrote:

We know that's not entirely true. If they chased different passengers BA wouldn't have launched OAK, FLL and JFK from LGW to go head to head with Norwegian. BA thought that in the past the low cost carriers were after different passengers and now have Easyjet and Ryanair bigger than them. They are not making the same mistake again. It's also a reason that some of the 777s and going to 10 across.

The European short haul market is a different story altogether. Most of the overlap between BA and Norwegian is with the price sensitive segment, but I do get your comment. I was also mostly referring to the South America/Mexico - Europe market, where there is nowhere near the competition you have between the US and the UK. EZE is a good example where BA and DN have each carved out a niche for themselves. BA has responded with lower fares at some points in the year but they both hold their own quite well.

solracfunk14

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 am

x1234 wrote:
Since the UK branch already flies LGW-EZE they should fly LGW-GRU & LGW-MEX first in Latin America. Remember in terms of population and economic activity Sao Paulo & Mexico City are #1 & #2. Though VS (Virgin Atlantic) is flying LHR-GRU soon.

Actually no, Norwegian already flies LGW-GIG (started in May 1st). I don't see space for LGW-GRU since Virgin Atlantic just announced the route LHR-GRU with the 787-9 (BAW and LATAM fly this route daily with pair of 772/773 + 773 and a brit 787 4x times a week).

I rather see a LGW-CUN then MEX (lack of space and Norwegian looks more for touristic routes than business ones).

SCQ83

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:15 am

It makes a lot of sense.

With 477,000 PAX in 2018, MAD-SCL is a virtual monopoly (LATAM+Iberia). It is the largest market to LatAm with no real competition from Madrid.

Connecting MAD-SCL somewhere else; there are just not a lot of convenient choices. LATAM via GRU (again LATAM), Avianca via BOG, Air France via CDG or Aerolíneas via EZE (or even via the US). Few choices which in general add a lot of time to a long flight.

PD: I don't understand why even flights from London to MEX are discussed here (???).

dcajet
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:41 am

Somewhat related to this expansion, Norwegian is doubling the size of the call center in Argentina to serve the South American market with trilingual resources starting with support for markets in Argentina, Chile and Brazil. It is planned to eventually support the US too.

https://twitter.com/ocmelhus/status/1147130412155756544

c933103

Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:06 am

The article seems to imply they're applying a new Chilean AOC? As it mentioned they wanted to fly from Chile to Miami
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

dcajet
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 am

c933103 wrote:
The article seems to imply they're applying a new Chilean AOC? As it mentioned they wanted to fly from Chile to Miami

There are no plans to start an airline in Chile; just to fly to/from SCL. Chile has a very liberal aviation services agreements policy so there is no need to set up a local airline.

solracfunk14

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:24 am

SCQ83 wrote:
It makes a lot of sense.

With 477,000 PAX in 2018, MAD-SCL is a virtual monopoly (LATAM+Iberia). It is the largest market to LatAm with no real competition from Madrid.

Connecting MAD-SCL somewhere else; there are just not a lot of convenient choices. LATAM via GRU (again LATAM), Avianca via BOG, Air France via CDG or Aerolíneas via EZE (or even via the US). Few choices which in general add a lot of time to a long flight.

PD: I don't understand why even flights from London to MEX are discussed here (???).

Just for example, in other hand MAD-GRU is the most competitive route from Europe to South America (as far as I remember): LATAM, Iberia, Air Europa and Air China.

Air China and Air Europa used to connect pax to SCL with Avianca Brasil, but now the airline it's gone. So we got back to LATAM and Iberia: Direct or via GRU.

descl

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:52 pm

c933103 wrote:

Nope, they are in the process of getting the AOC for 2 of their european entities (dont remember the names). This implies they will first fly from Chile to Europe; I heard it would be Barcelona but it looks like it's going to be Madrid which I think makes more sense considering Level already operates SCL-BCN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos