jetsetterusa
Topic Author

ATH and AA will it grow?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:52 pm

I am glad to see AA flying to ORD from ATH and looking at the loads they are 100% or in the high 90s do you think we will see a DFW-ATH?
Crazy Day Tripper

maps4ltd

Re: ATH and AA will it grow?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:29 pm

I think you'd see PHL made year-round before that happened.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

9w748capt

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Hahahahahha you should see the replies I got when I suggested this in the AA network thread. The armchair CEOs and internet tough guys were out in full force. I would agree with you. Even J cabins are selling out months in advance to ATH, so IMO wouldn't be shocking at all if AA looked at adding another ATH route. But then again the know-it-alls on this site know better and usual.

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Load factors don't matter - distance-adjusted average fares per seat-muile matter, vs. every other possible route for the aircraft. Can we get past elementary school-intellect route planning?

afcjets

Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:26 pm

He didn't say yield, and while I have never heard "distance adjusted average fare per seat mile", it sounds more like he is trying to say revenue per available seat mile (RASM) than yield, which is more important than both LDF and yield.

AlexBrewster03

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:10 pm

With the A321XLR I think possibly AA could run PHL-ATH year round?...

B752OS

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:19 pm

Given how large the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale to Europe market is, I am surprised there aren't non-stop flights to Athens from there. Any chance AA adds MIA-ATH on a 788? Does the 788 have the legs to make it both directions?

Ishrion

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 pm

B752OS wrote:
Given how large the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale to Europe market is, I am surprised there aren't non-stop flights to Athens from there. Any chance AA adds MIA-ATH on a 788? Does the 788 have the legs to make it both directions?

I don't see why not, despite winds. AA operates DFW-PEK which is 1,100 mi longer than MIA-ATH on a 788.

Blerg

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Why should they add a new destination if ORD-ATH is performing well? It makes much more sense to add more flights or a larger aircraft the next season than to launch a completely new flights from a completely new market.

Also, don't forget that ORD probably does well as there is a lot of local demand. Chicago was for many years the top unserved destination from Athens.

Cointrin330

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:58 pm

jetsetterusa wrote:
I am glad to see AA flying to ORD from ATH and looking at the loads they are 100% or in the high 90s do you think we will see a DFW-ATH?

US to Athens is a seasonal market. High load factors to ATH are normal between late May to late September, with the season peaking in July and August. During the Fall/Winter months, traffic drops and there is not enough demand to sustain year-round service. I don't see AA adding another US-Athens route at the moment, beyond what they have. Had they capitalized on their JFK operation years earlier, a seasonal JFK-ATH would have made sense and they'd make money on it, but with DL twice daily in the market during the summer, UA and EK flying from EWR and NAX having just added 4x weekly, I am pretty sure JFK-ATH is off the table for AA and likely never was on the table to begin with.

ORD-ATH made sense. They can collect West Coast and Mid-West originating pax and can by-pass PHL, leaving it for East Coast connections.

Cointrin330

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:59 pm

Other factors working against year-round service to Greece on US carriers are a small market, not much business traffic, no meaningful cruise traffic in low and shoulder season, and Greece's relatively small population.

cityshuttle

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:02 pm

B752OS wrote:

I actually don’t see a reason for ATH-MIA, neither for business nor for leisure travelers. And in terms of onward connections in the US a flight to PHL would make a lot more sense, if there is one to be added to the current ORD flight.

OA940

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Wow that's amazing! But at the same time considering the amount of Greeks in Chicago and how many people wanna get here in the summer it's not that surprising. Honestly I do believe 2-3x weekly in low season would make a year-round ORD-ATH feasible, but they can obviously find better use for the frame, so I understand why. DFW-ATH doesn't make all that much sense with the ORD flight around, and MIA is quite similar to ATH as a destination and the demand isn't quite there.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be completely shocked to see DL return to ATH from ATL considering the connection opportunities. It's not a very different story from what's happening here. I wonder if we're ever gonna see a year-round flight from the US3 to ATH. Doubt it considering EK has what's basically the only feasible market covered. Perhaps AC will go through with plans for a year-round like they said a few months ago.
A350/CSeries = bae

anymaninfc

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 pm

cityshuttle wrote:
B752OS wrote:

I actually don’t see a reason for ATH-MIA, neither for business nor for leisure travelers. And in terms of onward connections in the US a flight to PHL would make a lot more sense, if there is one to be added to the current ORD flight.

Are you not aware that AA has seasonal flights from PHL to ATH? Currently it's being flown by A330-300 aircraft.

braniff2hav

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:14 pm

The Greek tourism industry is bursting at the seems since last year. 33 million tourist last year and this year things are on track to exceed that. Hotels sold out, tour guides booked up, boats not available (readily) .. it is a seasonal market yes. But Americans have to get there somehow .. on some airline. I suspect AA will analyze their performance and add routes, upgauge equipment as they see to their benefit and based on market demand (even though they are horribly managed at the present). They do seem to be willing to explore new markets more than ever before.

chepos

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:52 pm

cityshuttle wrote:
B752OS wrote:

PHL-ATH has been operating since summer 2007 (I believe). However, I do agree, MIA-ATH makes little to no sense. MIA-FCO would make more sense, if another Euro flight is opened out of MIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Blerg

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:31 am

Here are the some numbers for ATH-EWR:

April.
2017: 6.469
2018: 16.739

May.
2017: 15.278
2018: 20.367

June.
2017: 30.233
2018: 29,076

I wonder if the June drop was due to AA's ORD flights and UA losing some transfer passengers from Chicago.

usflyer msp

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 am

Blerg wrote:
Here are the some numbers for ATH-EWR:

April.
2017: 6.469
2018: 16.739

May.
2017: 15.278
2018: 20.367

June.
2017: 30.233
2018: 29,076

I wonder if the June drop was due to AA's ORD flights and UA losing some transfer passengers from Chicago.

That was last year. Ord-ath launched in 2019.

LAX772LR

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:44 am

AlexBrewster03 wrote:
With the A321XLR I think possibly AA could run PHL-ATH year round?

They would have to take a significant payload hit to reliably do the westbound. Eastbound is doable on a fully-tanked aircraft.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

usflyer msp

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:46 am

chepos wrote:
cityshuttle wrote:
B752OS wrote:

PHL-ATH has been operating since summer 2007 (I believe). However, I do agree, MIA-ATH makes little to no sense. MIA-FCO would make more sense, if another Euro flight is opened out of MIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually there are quite a few business links between Greece and Miami. The cruise and shipping industries are heavily represented in both economies and Florida has the 3rd largest Greek-American community. The yields on MIA-ATH probably wouldn't be all that great and AA would have to heavily court the Greek POS market but I think it would be much more viable than the DFW-ATH route people keep mentioning.

OA260

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:39 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Other factors working against year-round service to Greece on US carriers are a small market, not much business traffic, no meaningful cruise traffic in low and shoulder season, and Greece's relatively small population.

Correct. Oct-Mar it would be very hard to make money on. Greek diaspora is only a small % of what makes a route work. So unless we suddenly see thousands of Americans heading to Greece in low season we will continue to only see modest growth with capacity increases in Peak season.

As for MIA its a non starter. No demand.

9w748capt

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:22 am

OA260 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Correct. Oct-Mar it would be very hard to make money on. Greek diaspora is only a small % of what makes a route work. So unless we suddenly see thousands of Americans heading to Greece in low season we will continue to only see modest growth with capacity increases in Peak season.

Global warming is helping though. Have read multiple places that resorts in Santorini are increasingly staying open year round. So maybe not now but certainly in a few years, year-round service to ATH may be potentially much more viable.

Detroit313

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:24 pm

JFK - ATH on American Airlines is coming soon.

Blerg

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:29 pm

ATH's growth is cool but the airport is becoming overcrowded and even the renovated parts feel old and worn out. They are in desperate need of a new and modern terminal.

SQ22

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:37 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

Do you have a source or is this your opinion?

OA260

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Blerg wrote:
ATH's growth is cool but the airport is becoming overcrowded and even the renovated parts feel old and worn out. They are in desperate need of a new and modern terminal.

I have been through it twice in the last few months and it was fine. Of course in the Peak season it will get congested but I found it clean and well kept and the new arrivals passport control and E gates are a big improvement. Come October - March it will be a lot less congested and therefore shelling out for a new terminal would be pointless. Plenty of shops and places to eat open 24/7 unlike a lot of airports. Nice new lounges too so compared to a lot of other airports I have been through ATH is still one of the more pleasant ones.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:19 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Do you have a source or is this your opinion?

Gotta be a straight opinion. He's said it in other threads before such as the AA Network Thread & "AA Adds JFK-MBJ/SJO/LIR, PHX-CID/ICT/MSY + Caribbean Extensions/Increases".

Every time I've quoted him and asked him for his source, he would just ignore me or slide over the question.

Blerg

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:49 pm

OA260 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I have been through it twice in the last few months and it was fine. Of course in the Peak season it will get congested but I found it clean and well kept and the new arrivals passport control and E gates are a big improvement. Come October - March it will be a lot less congested and therefore shelling out for a new terminal would be pointless. Plenty of shops and places to eat open 24/7 unlike a lot of airports. Nice new lounges too so compared to a lot of other airports I have been through ATH is still one of the more pleasant ones.

I fly through ATH at least once a month to a month and a half. If you go to the 'lounge' that they put by A7 you will see that those sofas and couches are completely worn out from people sitting and sleeping on them, especially those with long connecting times. If that's fine for you then cool.

The whole non-Schengen area is outdated and cramped. Even in winter times during peak hours (especially during Aegean's wave of departures) it can get quite crowded and very often it is difficult to find a place to sit.

The only considerably improvement is the passport control like you said. However having one x-ray machine at the transfer area below doesn't help either especially when two A320s land at the same time from destinations such as Beirut or Cairo that carry a lot of transfer passengers. Generally speaking, Athens airport is quite ugly.

SCQ83

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:59 pm

It is a pity the island airports in Greece are so bad and limited.

Otherwise I could see PHL-JMK, PHL-JTR, JFK-JMK or JFK-JTR in the same fashion AA already flies to Dubrovnik, or Qatar to Mykonos.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:05 pm

OA260 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

I agree it’s a non-starter just because of the nature of the demographics on the market, but no demand? Nah. Miami is Athens’ fourth largest local market in the U.S. after NYC, Chicago and LA.
a.

OA260

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Blerg wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I fly through ATH at least once a month to a month and a half. If you go to the 'lounge' that they put by A7 you will see that those sofas and couches are completely worn out from people sitting and sleeping on them, especially those with long connecting times. If that's fine for you then cool.

Go to the one by A11 its brand new ! As is the A3 lounge depending on who you fly. So two decent lounges available.

airbazar

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:03 pm

There are 3 large O&D markets to/from Greece in the U.S.: NYC, Chicago, Boston. Not coincidentally, these are the 3 largest Greek diaspora regions in the U.S.
IMO AA's PHL-ATH is a relic of the US route network which didn't have an international hub in any of the above 3 markets. If AA starts JFK-ATH as is rumored above that will be the end of PHL-ATH, IMO.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:18 pm

airbazar wrote:
There are 3 large O&D markets to/from Greece in the U.S.: NYC, Chicago, Boston. Not coincidentally, these are the 3 largest Greek diaspora regions in the U.S.
IMO AA's PHL-ATH is a relic of the US route network which didn't have an international hub in any of the above 3 markets. If AA starts JFK-ATH as is rumored above that will be the end of PHL-ATH, IMO.

Pretty sure that guy who said JFK-ATH doesn't have a credible source and is using pure speculation. He's been ignoring us when we ask where he heard it from.

Would AA really move PHL-ATH to JFK? Seems a bit unlikely given there's no direct competition at PHL.

Blerg

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:23 pm

OA260 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Go to the one by A11 its brand new ! As is the A3 lounge depending on who you fly. So two decent lounges available.

There is more to the airport than airline lounges, that's my point. Plus even their lounges there (Aegean one included) isn't anything special, it's average at best.

Detroit313

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Most of us on here have some kind of sources in the industry.

My sources say that if AA adds a third Athens, it will be from JFK to capture the massive New York traffic that Philadelphia and Chicago can't capture. And, trust me, there is massive traffic to Athens from New York.

Also, my sources say that ORD - ATH and PHL - ATH are not only full all the time, but make very good money for AA.

The Philadelphia flight to Athens has people from all over the US who connect there. Literally all over the US. The JFK crowd would be completely different. Mostly people from New York and some connections from AA hubs like Dallas, Miami, Charlotte and Los Angeles.

dfw88

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Ishrion wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Pretty sure that guy who said JFK-ATH doesn't have a credible source and is using pure speculation. He's been ignoring us when we ask where he heard it from.

Would AA really move PHL-ATH to JFK? Seems a bit unlikely given there's no direct competition at PHL.

I also find it unlikely that AA would move ATH from PHL to JFK. While the JFK local market may be bigger, the PHL flight is about collecting connections from all over the US to fill up a once-daily widebody to a vacation destination. I don't think the Greek diaspora has much, if anything, to do with it. Basically, despite the lack of local demand, AA is betting that in a country of 300 million people they can fly one flight a day during vacation season to a reasonably popular European destination. The fact that the flight is still around probably speaks volumes as to how it does for AA. I doubt they'd keep a summer leisure destination like that around if it were losing money. This is very different than, say, AA's ORD to China flights in that respect.

Given the (relative) lack of connections at JFK, an ATH flight from there would of necessity be more concerned with local traffic, but with several other airlines on the route already I find it hard to believe that AA would take the plunge.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Most of us on here have some kind of sources in the industry.

My sources say that if AA adds a third Athens, it will be from JFK to capture the massive New York traffic that Philadelphia and Chicago can't capture. And, trust me, there is massive traffic to Athens from New York.

Also, my sources say that ORD - ATH and PHL - ATH are not only full all the time, but make very good money for AA.

The Philadelphia flight to Athens has people from all over the US who connect there. Literally all over the US. The JFK crowd would be completely different. Mostly people from New York and some connections from AA hubs like Dallas, Miami, Charlotte and Los Angeles.

And my sources say AA will add PHL-AGP, NCE, KEF, and MXP by 2023. Also next year AA will add DFW-ZQN as a part of the new JV.

No, seriously. So you go from "JFK - ATH on American Airlines is coming soon." to "if AA adds a third Athens". Which one is it.

And what exactly are your sources?

You don't seem too credible as a few days ago you were saying "The metro areas that have the most Greeks in the US are New York, Chicago and Detroit. Not Los Angeles." The sources I'm reading don't seem to support that.

B747forever

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:59 pm

Would love to have a nonstop LAX-ATH option, but doubt that will ever happen. Too long of a flight passing over other hubs.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Blerg

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:27 pm

B747forever wrote:
Would love to have a nonstop LAX-ATH option, but doubt that will ever happen. Too long of a flight passing over other hubs.

Unless Norwegian decides to burn some money by launching it.

9w748capt

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Blerg wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

There is more to the airport than airline lounges, that's my point. Plus even their lounges there (Aegean one included) isn't anything special, it's average at best.

Exactly. No one is paying top dollar for the ATH airport lounge experience. For most tourists to Greece it will be irrelevant what the lounge situation is. And J class pax will have access to decent lounges anyway.

Detroit313

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Even Vasu Raja, VP of Planning at AA, openly mentioned that they are thinking of JFK - ATH at a recent OneWorld meeting in London and that they are blown away by how well the new ORD - ATH route is performing.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Even Vasu Raja, VP of Planning at AA, openly mentioned that they are thinking of JFK - ATH at a recent OneWorld meeting in London and that they are blown away by how well the new ORD - ATH route is performing.

Still asking for it, do you have a link to the information in this meeting or is it disclosed by your “source”.

OA412

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

Please provide a link to a transcript of the OneWorld meeting, or other source substantiating this information.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

9w748capt

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Still asking for it, do you have a link to the information in this meeting or is it disclosed by your “source”.

Right? If Vasu had actually said this so openly, the bloggers like Gary would've also been all over it.

mercure1

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:59 am

For an idea of how ridiculously seasonal Greece tourism market is - here is a chart albeit a few years old showing monthly arrivals in millions.

Any new service really would only be viable in summer months when it can be assured very high load factors, and decent pricing.
mercure f-wtcc

JonNYC

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 am

OA412 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Please provide a link to a transcript of the OneWorld meeting, or other source substantiating this information.

There-- as others here obviously realize-- isn't any substantiation to that.

Ishrion

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 am

JonNYC wrote:
OA412 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

The legend has spoken.

Varsity1

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:01 am

JonNYC wrote:
OA412 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

AA is planning a massive domestic growth this November in JFK. We have already received the increased lines in the bid packets for pilots.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a growth on the intl side to feed as well.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

OA412

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 pm

JonNYC wrote:
OA412 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Great, thanks for the info.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

9w748capt

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:20 pm

JonNYC wrote:
OA412 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Haha! Was just a matter of time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos