Venatt
Topic Author

Volaris cancels ABQ-CUU Flights

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 am

Volaris cancels Albuquerque-Chihuahua Flights because Volaris wanted both cities to pay $32,000 USD per round trip. Both cities told Volaris to go to Hell.

Flights never took place.

https://santamariatimes.com/espanol/not ... d0ddb.html

https://www.sinembargo.mx/03-07-2019/3606948

https://www.apnews.com/6372f94288d74cb08b07fc6d3219199b

FlyHappy

Re: Volaris cancels ABQ-CUU Flights

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:18 am

I'm not exactly sure "go to Hell" was a part of the discussion.
Clearly, there was an initial agreement for subsidies to start the route in the first place, but that amount isn't mentioned. I'll add that isn't clear Volaris was looking for 2 x $32,000, very possibly 1 x $32,000.

More significantly, that the figure may be in Mexican pesos (also represented by the $ symbol) , so something more in the $1600 or $3200 USD area, which sounds a whole bunch more likely to me.

I'm not willing to crucify Volaris over this. (at least yet)

Venatt
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:26 am

FlyHappy wrote:
I'm not exactly sure "go to Hell" was a part of the discussion.
Clearly, there was an initial agreement for subsidies to start the route in the first place, but that amount isn't mentioned. I'll add that isn't clear Volaris was looking for 2 x $32,000, very possibly 1 x $32,000.

More significantly, that the figure may be in Mexican pesos (also represented by the $ symbol) , so something more in the $1600 or $3200 USD area, which sounds a whole bunch more likely to me.

I'm not willing to crucify Volaris over this. (at least yet)

I you read the two articles in Spanish it says Dólares, so yes Dollars, so the english article most likely also talks about dollars. And yes most likely it was 1 x $32,000, still to much money. I guess that's why the flight was dropped when it hadn't even begun.

Volaris320

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Now that Volaris won't fly into Albuquerque anymore, is there a possibility of Interjet or VivaAerobus flying non-stop into Albuquerque from Mexico? If Interjet did so they would definitely fly ABQ-MEX. VivaAerobus could do ABQ-GDL, ABQ-CUU, ABQ-MEX, and ABQ-MTY.

Alias1024

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Volaris320 wrote:
Now that Volaris won't fly into Albuquerque anymore, is there a possibility of Interjet or VivaAerobus flying non-stop into Albuquerque from Mexico? If Interjet did so they would definitely fly ABQ-MEX. VivaAerobus could do ABQ-GDL, ABQ-CUU, ABQ-MEX, and ABQ-MTY.

I'm sure they will try, but I doubt either will be interested. Interjet is trying to keep their head above water and VivaAerobus will wonder why they would do any better than Volaris. The problem most people don't get about ABQ-Mexico is that the VFR market just isn't that strong.

What I think will work from ABQ is MEX with onward connects. A daily AeroMexico E190 or maybe even 737 to MEX would be perfect. Unfortunately MEX is capacity constrained, the new president is trying to cancel the new Mexico City airport, and there's probably a more profitable use of a MEX slot. And none of this twice a week service crap. The business community isn't going to buy in and change their travel habits for that kind of frequency.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Volaris320

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 am

Alias1024 wrote:
The problem most people don't get about ABQ-Mexico is that the VFR market just isn't that strong.

What I think will work from ABQ is MEX with onward connects. A daily AeroMexico E190 or maybe even 737 to MEX would be perfect. Unfortunately MEX is capacity constrained, the new president is trying to cancel the new Mexico City airport, and there's probably a more profitable use of a MEX slot. And none of this twice a week service crap. The business community isn't going to buy in and change their travel habits for that kind of frequency.

I wonder if the VFR market for ELP-Mexico would be any stronger, as I've seen plenty of people from El Paso going to other cities in Mexico (like Guadalajara, Leon, Mexico City, Monterrey, etc.) from CJS (Ciudad Juarez). If so, then Volaris or Viva ought to fly ELP-GDL, ELP-BJX, and maybe ELP-MEX.

Venatt
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:36 am

There should be a ELP-CJS flight :p

Aliqiout

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:54 am

ELP-MEX and ELP-CUU has been tried quite a few times before. Unlike ABQ, ELP definitely has the traffic, but it's hard to compete with CJS for flights to Mexico, although it hasn't been tried since border crossings have become so difficult.

N383SW

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:03 am

Aliqiout wrote:
ELP-MEX and ELP-CUU has been tried quite a few times before. Unlike ABQ, ELP definitely has the traffic, but it's hard to compete with CJS for flights to Mexico, although it hasn't been tried since border crossings have become so difficult.

And it seems CJS is pretty well covered with Volaris, Interjet, Aeromexico, Viva, and TAR.

Venatt
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:09 am

Talking about the CJS Airport, work to expand the airport has begun. Terminal is very tiny and obsolete so they are going to expand it, I believe more jet-bridges will be added. I was also told the tarmac will be extended as well as a taxi parallel to the runway and perhaps extending the runway a little bit. Also the airport is supposed to get a new radar.

https://diario.mx/economia/duplicara-ae ... 11ytZp_FjI

Volaris320

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:02 pm

I would imaginé the terminal would become no bigger than BJX because CJS doesn't have as many flights as GDL. Regarding a taxiways, both CJS and BJX have taxis that connect with the runway, and planes that take off from either airport have to taxi partway down the runway, then make a 180° turn before accelerating. And I think BJX is still a busier airport than CJS.

AirKevin

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Venatt wrote:
I you read the two articles in Spanish it says Dólares, so yes Dollars

Slight problem, I can't read Spanish, so the two Spanish articles don't help. As soon as I saw the first one in Spanish, I immediately exited out of it.
Captain Kevin

superjeff

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:44 pm

that's always been the problem with ELP-MEX; there's Juarez just across the border. Unless they come up with a way to do a land bridge, a la SAN and TIJ, it probably won't work. I think there's been some commuter transborder flights out of ELP over the years, but it has been a very very long time since there's been anything. I think Gate 1 in the terminal at ELP has customs access.

EddieDude

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 pm

I frankly don't think there is a big market between Albuquerque and its catchment area, on the one hand, and a non-beach Mexican destination, on the other.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

Volaris320

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:58 am

I wonder if there are big markets for these routes within Mexico (operated by Volaris or Viva):

– CJS - TRC
– TRC - BJX
– CUU - BJX
– GDL - MZT
– CJS - QRO

Also I think Volaris should fly into Piedras Negras from Guadalajara.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos