LH658
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic flight cabin fire

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 am

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/05/us/virgi ... index.html

JFK - LHR segment flight, in the Business Class section there was fire, the flight diverted to Boston - Logan Airport.

readytotaxi

Re: Virgin Atlantic flight cabin fire

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:31 am

"Bomb disposal officers inspected the aircraft after it landed and found a device between the cushions of the seat where the blaze started.

"Preliminary investigation suggests it is a battery pack consistent in appearance with an external phone charger," a police spokesman told reporters."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48879379
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

kimimm19

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:34 am

I know that 'bricks' are not allowed when flying from Europe into the US, but how is it the other way around?

EK77WNH

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:24 am

Virgin has its own morning flight from Boston to London today, but it will be of literally no use unfortunately. I don’t yet see a rescue flight on the way.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

flipdewaf

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:49 am

kimimm19 wrote:
I know that 'bricks' are not allowed when flying from Europe into the US, but how is it the other way around?
Never heard that they aren't allowed before, I took one on every flight I have taken to the US in the last few years (x 6) in the last 2 years. In fact they tell you that if you drop them in the seat to tell a member of the crew and not to try and get it yourself so they must know you have them.

Fred

MIflyer12

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:53 am

kimimm19 wrote:

Separate, supplemental batterey packs can't be in checked bags but they are allowed in carry-on bags - the same as permitted by the U.S. FAA.

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prepar ... /index.htm

And the VS rules specifically: https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/e ... items.html

smokeybandit

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 am

readytotaxi wrote:
"Bomb disposal officers inspected the aircraft after it landed and found a device between the cushions of the seat where the blaze started.

"Preliminary investigation suggests it is a battery pack consistent in appearance with an external phone charger," a police spokesman told reporters."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48879379

Some great reporting there

That was disputed by one passenger, Maria, who told the BBC she had been speaking to her friend when his seat caught fire. She rejected reports that a phone charger had been the cause.

"It took about two minutes to put it out," she said.

So...what did Maria think it was then?

Ziyulu

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:53 am

Imagine if that "brick" was in checked bags?

ChrisKen

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:54 am

Ziyulu wrote:

Which is why they're prohibited from such luggage. Cabin only, and capacity limited.

Kikko19

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:06 pm

I hope in a thorough investigation and heavy fines if rules haven't been followed. I can't imagine battery banks while there are plugs everywhere nowadays in biz and even economy for some a/c.

mhockey31091

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

I would imagine that it was crammed between the seat cushion and the framework of the seat and the movement of the seat cracked the battery and caused the fire. Cant remember on which airline recently they said during their safety briefing (which everyone is too smart to listen to) "If your phone becomes lodged in your seat, don't move your seat because it can crack the battery and lead to fire" or something along those lines.

zuckie13

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Maye it fell out of a pocket on the previous segment. Shifting during this flight maybe triggered it to go.

lalib

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:30 pm

mhockey31091 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

"If your phone becomes lodged in your seat, don't move your seat because it can crack the battery and lead to fire" or something along those lines.

Emirates in flight safety video. I believe the wording was because this can damage your phone.

kimimm19

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:32 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

Separate, supplemental batterey packs can't be in checked bags but they are allowed in carry-on bags - the same as permitted by the U.S. FAA.

And the VS rules specifically: https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/e ... items.html

Could've sworn that last time I flew over whilst looking on the TSA website that they are completely prohibited. Must've been only for checked baggage then as you say.

vahancrazy

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Next question: are all luggages properly checked in order to make sure no battery is in the cargo hold?

DLASFlyer

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Delta safety video now says: “If you lose an electronic device between your seat, do not adjust your seat and ask a crew member for assistance.”

sw733

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:06 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

Could've sworn that last time I flew over whilst looking on the TSA website that they are completely prohibited. Must've been only for checked baggage then as you say.

TSA completely allows them (up to a certain wh limit) in carry-on baggage per https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ower-banks

joeblow10

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:16 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

Absolutely not - as others have said. I travel with one every time I fly to keep my devices charged, especially on AC without in seat power.

Let’s not go crazy and start banning these now too...

northstardc4m

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:23 pm

With Lithium-Ion thermal protection on those cells is very important... overheating Li-Ion cells can lead to catastrophic failure, explosion, fire, etc... It sounds like here it slipped into the gap between the cushions while "in use" (cells active, some always are even when not in use), no doubt overheated and caught fire, my guess is it was a cheaper quality one as well which won't help.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ziyulu

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:24 pm

I thought power banks are prohibited from use at all times in flight?

hiflyeras

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Had friends on the flight...no panic on board but a long sit on the tarmac in BOS after landing. Fire started under the seat cushion. Talk about being in the hot seat!

longhauler

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:06 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
Delta safety video now says: “If you lose an electronic device between your seat, do not adjust your seat and ask a crew member for assistance.”

I recall seeing that on an Air France safety video about 4 or 5 years ago.

I thought it odd at the time. But ... later when understanding the dangers of Lithium Iion batteries it all makes sense now. I would imagine it is now included in most airlines' safety videos.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

SomebodyInTLS

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
I hope in a thorough investigation and heavy fines if rules haven't been followed. I can't imagine battery banks while there are plugs everywhere nowadays in biz and even economy for some a/c.

Although I don't normally use them, my wife had one for her previous phone which ran down quite fast. However, the only times I did make use of her power pack was... when we were on holiday!

For one thing, it's useful when you're going to be on the road a lot and staying in various places overnight. For another, good luck finding a charge point on e.g. a regional flight or bus journey somewhere.

So there's defniitely a reason to bring them on flights, and then it's only sensible (and required by regulation) for them to be in the cabin.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

hOMSaR

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:20 pm

vahancrazy wrote:
Next question: are all luggages properly checked in order to make sure no battery is in the cargo hold?

I would expect there would be no practical way of doing so.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

kimimm19

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:20 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Absolutely not - as others have said. I travel with one every time I fly to keep my devices charged, especially on AC without in seat power.

I'm not saying they should be banned but I have never needed them. I don't understand how one can be on their smart device so much that charging it at the airport and maybe on the plane is not enough and that's talking about international travel as well.

ACCS300

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:46 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:

Flew LH in J last year YVR-MUC, wasn't part of the safety briefing but made in a separate announcement, something like "...if you drop any devices in your seat do not attempt to remove it, have a flight-attendant assist..."

vahancrazy

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:53 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:

I thought the same. However, if you cannot check the luggages, it is impossible to guarantee no batteries, mobile phones, etc. are in the checked in luggage.... it would be dangerous!

Virtual737

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:57 pm

longhauler wrote:
I would imagine it is now included in most airlines' safety videos.

Yep. 4 different airlines in the last 3 weeks, 2 European and 2 Asian and they have all said it on every flight.

sw733

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I thought power banks are prohibited from use at all times in flight?

Not that I'm aware of

DTWLAX

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:06 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
Virgin has its own morning flight from Boston to London today, but it will be of literally no use unfortunately. I don’t yet see a rescue flight on the way.

They may be able to accomodate some passengers on the VS and DL flights from BOS. But given it is peak holiday season, not sure if there will be any availability.

ScottB

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
I can't imagine battery banks while there are plugs everywhere nowadays in biz and even economy for some a/c.

Um, because the vast majority of passengers are flying in economy and they may need use of their mobile device just as business class passengers do. And in my experience, the charging ports (between 110V AC and 5V DC USB) are non-functioning somewhere between 10% and 25% of the time, so it's good to have a backup in case you're in a seat with a dud. Or you may need a portable battery pack at your destination and as others have pointed out, Li-ion batteries may not be carried in checked luggage.

kimimm19 wrote:
I don't understand how one can be on their smart device so much that charging it at the airport and maybe on the plane is not enough and that's talking about international travel as well.

Not everyone has time to charge at the airport (and airports don't really have enough charge points for every passenger), and not everyone has a device with a new enough battery to last for a long flight. And some apps are more CPU-intensive than others, while poor signal strength can also cause a mobile device to consume charge quickly.

northstardc4m wrote:
It sounds like here it slipped into the gap between the cushions while "in use" (cells active, some always are even when not in use), no doubt overheated and caught fire, my guess is it was a cheaper quality one as well which won't help.

Or, since this incident occurred in the Upper Class cabin, IMO it is more likely that the battery pack slipped unnoticed between the cushions and the passenger then adjusted the recline of the seat. As business class sets typically use mechanical recline, there's a significant danger that any device with LI-ion cells might be crushed when the seat is reclined or put upright, and compromising the Li-ion cells in that way can lead to thermal runaway.

STLflyer

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:28 pm

lalib wrote:
mhockey31091 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

"If your phone becomes lodged in your seat, don't move your seat because it can crack the battery and lead to fire" or something along those lines.

Emirates in flight safety video. I believe the wording was because this can damage your phone.

Of course. Tell people that it can start a fire, and pax will say “Oh, they’re just trying to scare you, that can’t actually happen. I’m not going to bother an FA to help me get my phone” Tell people it can damage their phone, and pax will say “I don’t want that to happen!” and call an FA over.

vaughanparry

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:14 pm

The Telegraph is generally my newspaper of choice but when it comes to selecting a photo to accompany an aviation story, their record is shocking. Deep breath:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... ing-phone/

zuckie13

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:20 pm

vaughanparry wrote:
The Telegraph is generally my newspaper of choice but when it comes to selecting a photo to accompany an aviation story, their record is shocking. Deep breath:

Well......they're both Virgin As (even if one doesn't exist anymore)

theginge

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:21 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

I'm not saying they should be banned but I have never needed them. I don't understand how one can be on their smart device so much that charging it at the airport and maybe on the plane is not enough and that's talking about international travel as well.

Its not always about whether you need the power bank on a plane, its about needing them at the other end. I often need one when going away as can be out of range of a power socket for most of the day.

GCT64

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:40 pm

vahancrazy wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:

I thought the same. However, if you cannot check the luggages, it is impossible to guarantee no batteries, mobile phones, etc. are in the checked in luggage.... it would be dangerous!

All hold luggage in China is scanned for lighters, lithium batteries etc. In my experience a reasonable number of pax are pulled to one side to have the hold luggage inspected and the rescanned. I was a "false positive" on my last flight out of PVG, it was a time consuming experience: alarm goes off when bag goes off on the conveyor, wait for your bag to be the next to be inspected, tell them there is nothing in there ("no lighter, no battery pack"), they inspect it carefully, find nothing, you take it back to the check-in desk and go through the process again. Your boarding pass is retained until your bag passes scanning.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

Chemist

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Some airlines have streaming entertainment and you are to bring your own device. And they don't have power ports. So a backup battery pack is essential. I always bring mine, also for needing it at destination. But never in checked luggage.

Tristarsteve

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:01 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:

On a proper lie flat business seat it is a nightmare to retrieve a phone.
When I worked on the ramp meeting A330s with lie flat seats, it was a regular occurance to have to retrieve a phone. And it could take an age. There is just no room in there for your hands, and phones are too heavy to retrieve with long pliers.
I cannot see a member of the cabin crew doing it!

A333MSPtoAMS

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:39 pm

lalib wrote:
mhockey31091 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

I've also heard it in Delta's safety video.
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.
http://cronkflies.com

A333MSPtoAMS

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:39 pm

lalib wrote:
mhockey31091 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

I've also heard it in Delta's safety video.
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.
http://cronkflies.com

Waterbomber2

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:15 am

GCT64 wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

All hold luggage in China is scanned for lighters, lithium batteries etc. In my experience a reasonable number of pax are pulled to one side to have the hold luggage inspected and the rescanned. I was a "false positive" on my last flight out of PVG, it was a time consuming experience: alarm goes off when bag goes off on the conveyor, wait for your bag to be the next to be inspected, tell them there is nothing in there ("no lighter, no battery pack"), they inspect it carefully, find nothing, you take it back to the check-in desk and go through the process again. Your boarding pass is retained until your bag passes scanning.

I once also mistakenly put a brick made out of 3 x 18650 in my checked luggage and was called to the desk to open my checked luggage to be inspected.
That was in NRT and about 2 years ago.
Good call on them and glad they did.

As an anecdote, I also personally took care of business after a Ryanair flight attendant forced me to gate check a small trolley that fits under the seat. They could hear me all the way to the back when the guy failed to ask me to remove any li-ion batteries or valuables, I made clear that the appropriate authorities were going to be notified about the malpractice and failure to follow company SOP's.
I was carrying documents that were going to be entered as evidence in court.
Everybody was in shock when I emptied the trolley on the floor in the front galley and started sorting through the stuff that I was going to need to keep on board. Well, I hurried but there went the CFMU slot and you could see that the guy wished that he had kept his ego in his pants. A few weeks later I saw him again on a flight and he recognised me, this time you can believe that he didn't say a word about the very same trolley which flew with me under the seat in front of me.

JetBuddy

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:28 am

hOMSaR wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:

Checked luggage is screened with X-ray just like everything else. There's a computer algorithm checking the x-rays images, and if the computer sees an anomaly, it goes through x-ray again and this time screened by a security person. The security person can then interpret the x-ray - and either give it a thumbs up, or a thumbs down. If the thumbs down is given, it goes to manual check by another security person who can open the luggage and physically check it. They usually get the passenger to open it.

At least that's how it was done 15 years ago in Norway. And the computer algorithms have gotten better in that time. So there is screening of checked luggage too.

sergegva

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 am

JetBuddy wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:

Checked luggage is screened with X-ray just like everything else. There's a computer algorithm checking the x-rays images, and if the computer sees an anomaly, it goes through x-ray again and this time screened by a security person. The security person can then interpret the x-ray - and either give it a thumbs up, or a thumbs down. If the thumbs down is given, it goes to manual check by another security person who can open the luggage and physically check it. They usually get the passenger to open it.

At least that's how it was done 15 years ago in Norway. And the computer algorithms have gotten better in that time. So there is screening of checked luggage too.

Well... I just got off a BA flight today, during which I stupidly forgot two power banks in my checked baggage. Both devices were still in my checked baggage when I landed !

As for the usefulness of carrying them: as already mentioned above, it is not so much in the plane that they are useful, but especially at the destination! Most smartphone batteries do not even last a full day when the device is more than one year old. Finding a charging point is not easy in all countries and takes time (and money if you have to buy a service in exchange for the power socket...).

And this is without even mentioning some particular cases, such as treks of several days. At a time when the smartphone is both a safety device, a map, a compass, a bank and so on, a ban on power banks on aircraft would pose very difficult problems to solve.

ltbewr

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:52 am

I carry with me every day in my 'messenger bag' to/from work a small (2000 Mha) 'power bank' for back up if I forgot to charge my phone or used it heavily. I also carry it with me on trips with my carry on to plane flights, never had a problem with security. Likely large power banks (like 5K+) are not ok on board unless part of a device. I would also add that users make sure the bank is intact and has no damage, the cables or where the cables plug into on the bank and the device using it with are all in good condition as shorts can trigger fires.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:09 am

Kikko19 wrote:

Roommates rarely leave home, never travel. But they have them for both phones & Tablets just in case of a long power failure. Mind you if the power failed the WiFi tablets would be limited.

rbavfan

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:17 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

Shock Absorbers? Any guesses.

scbriml

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:24 am

vaughanparry wrote:

That's virgin on the ridiculous!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

speedbird52

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:05 am

kimimm19 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

I have a smartphone that has around an hours worth of battery life. As such a battery bank could be useful for me to have on vacation. I suppose the owner had one and decided to use it instead of the plug out of convenience

Kikko19

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:01 am

rbavfan wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Roommates rarely leave home, never travel. But they have them for both phones & Tablets just in case of a long power failure. Mind you if the power failed the WiFi tablets would be limited.

I am sorry for them. I can't imagine which kind of hell means limited connectivity for them. Sad life.

ltbewr

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Is the plane with the incident still on the ground in BOS ? What happened to the passengers ?
I would presume an inspection and investigation of the cause would have to take place, that could be done in a day or so, but repairs may take longer depending on the level of damage done. If only the seat was damaged, that could be removed or the damaged parts removed, the seat and adjacent one blocked for use on a flight. If the interior cabin wall or floor was damaged that might mean a local repair done in BOS or even ferried to VS's main mx facilities in the UK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos