Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

compensateme

Re: Delta A220 route additions

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:42 am

LAXBUR wrote:
compensateme wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

This keeps getting better. Are any of you familiar with these airports? BFI, IFP, and LMT have NO service from any airline. BFI will get JetSuite X. There’s 20,000 people in LMT. I mean REALLY!?!? IDA doesn’t even have service to SEA on any airline. Yet you want Delta to fly to ATL? Maybe they should build international terminals too and Qantas can fly to those cities! It would be nice if real talk was enforced on this page. Aren’t there other places to go to set up fantasy airlines?

You do realize ATL prints money for DL, and the reason many of these cities lack service is that until now, there wasn’t an aircraft that could economically connect them to ATL? The 220 is a game changer.

If you think a low income city of 20,000 in Western Oregon will get service to Atlanta then I’m unsure of your understanding of basic economics much less the airline industry. Utterly ridiculous.

What are you babbling about? I never brought up LMT.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

jbmitt

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:03 am

atimp wrote:
My brother was in Belgrade, MT today, where the Bozeman/Yellowstone airport is, and said there were Delta A-220's there.

Negative on that. Mix of E175s/A321s from SLC and A320s/A321 from MSP. A 752 from ATL.

They may have A220/CS100/300 towbars like BIL but no scheduled service. I could see it in the future for competitive markets like LAX or SEA or weekend service from NYC.

LAXBUR

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:49 am

compensateme wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
compensateme wrote:

You do realize ATL prints money for DL, and the reason many of these cities lack service is that until now, there wasn’t an aircraft that could economically connect them to ATL? The 220 is a game changer.

If you think a low income city of 20,000 in Western Oregon will get service to Atlanta then I’m unsure of your understanding of basic economics much less the airline industry. Utterly ridiculous.

What are you babbling about? I never brought up LMT.

Sorry, your dismissiveness won’t cover up your incompetence. There’s a whole thread history. While you may have not brought up a specific city, you defended it. Your own suggestions are equally ridiculous. You have zero idea what you’re talking about. You mentioned various random cities that you think should get A220 service. IFP? No airline service. There’s a reason for that. IDA? BOI serves more passengers than all other airports in Idaho combined. IDA doesn’t even have service to MSP or SEA on Delta, yet you think they’ll fly a 109-seat aircraft to Atlanta? BFI? Delta didn’t even go for Everett. You can’t be serious.

Since you’re able to write complete sentences I would assume you are able to use some logic. You’re just looking at a map and blurting out random cities in hopes something sticks so you can get street cred on a.net. At least TRY to be realistic.

klm617

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:33 am

LAXBUR wrote:
compensateme wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

This keeps getting better. Are any of you familiar with these airports? BFI, IFP, and LMT have NO service from any airline. BFI will get JetSuite X. There’s 20,000 people in LMT. I mean REALLY!?!? IDA doesn’t even have service to SEA on any airline. Yet you want Delta to fly to ATL? Maybe they should build international terminals too and Qantas can fly to those cities! It would be nice if real talk was enforced on this page. Aren’t there other places to go to set up fantasy airlines?

There are many cities that Delta has linked to Atlanta that could not support that link on O/D alone but because Atlanta is what it is those cities deserve to be connected to the Delta network and LMT is one of those cities.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:31 am

evank516 wrote:
Babyshark wrote:
Imho i think it's easy to figure out where it's going by concentrating on the NYC, slc, sea routes that have jumbo RJs on them. Look at west coast routes with 717s. Start and stay there. Out of Atlanta we need upgauging not down. Dtw and msp will get the displaced 717 flying.

LGA-MCI, MKE, STL, BNA, IND, RDU are probably next in line. Secondary might be LGA-MSN, OMA, RSW, JAX, EYW, and MAYBE DSM?

From SLC I can see the 220 going on SLC-BUR and LGB.

I don't see those being that important to add, other than RDU, and maybe STL and BNA. LGA-MCI/IND/MKE/e.t.c have weak competition

Secondly, they need to send the RJs somewhere, IND is a big base for YX, BNA is a base for OO, MKE has a mx base for OO, and the other destinations(other than maybe RDU) don't have that much O&D to NYC relatively speaking.

Why would it benefit DL to send a A220 on LGA-MCI/MKE. Both are relatively small destinations for DL, and the only direct competition on those routes would be WN.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

DiamondFlyer

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:29 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Babyshark wrote:
Imho i think it's easy to figure out where it's going by concentrating on the NYC, slc, sea routes that have jumbo RJs on them. Look at west coast routes with 717s. Start and stay there. Out of Atlanta we need upgauging not down. Dtw and msp will get the displaced 717 flying.

LGA-MCI, MKE, STL, BNA, IND, RDU are probably next in line. Secondary might be LGA-MSN, OMA, RSW, JAX, EYW, and MAYBE DSM?

I don't see those being that important to add, other than RDU, and maybe STL and BNA. LGA-MCI/IND/MKE/e.t.c have weak competition

Secondly, they need to send the RJs somewhere, IND is a big base for YX, BNA is a base for OO, MKE has a mx base for OO, and the other destinations(other than maybe RDU) don't have that much O&D to NYC relatively speaking.

Why would it benefit DL to send a A220 on LGA-MCI/MKE. Both are relatively small destinations for DL, and the only direct competition on those routes would be WN.

YX also has a crew base in MCI, 9E has a MX base in IND. And RDU has an extensive RJ route network that requires the planes be rotated in somehow.
From my cold, dead hands

MIflyer12

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Babyshark wrote:

They do need to send the 'big' RJs somewhere, but part of the somewhere is replacing about 60 CR2s worth of capacity between 1/1/19 and 2023. 220s filling in for CR9/E75 creates that capacity. (I'm not arguing for specific routes.)

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:11 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
YX also has a crew base in MCI, 9E has a MX base in IND. And RDU has an extensive RJ route network that requires the planes be rotated in somehow.

Yikes forgot about 9E in IND

MIflyer12 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
evank516 wrote:

They do need to send the 'big' RJs somewhere, but part of the somewhere is replacing about 60 CR2s worth of capacity between 1/1/19 and 2023. 220s filling in for CR9/E75 creates that capacity. (I'm not arguing for specific routes.)

Capacity is being created elsewhere, for example many routes to MSP and other hubs are going all mainline this summer.

But with regards to LGA/JFK, regardless of upguaging there will always need to be some presence of RJs on routes like IND-NYC, BNA-NYC, e.t.c because of the RJ bases in those areas.

Furthermore, they aren't going to add the A220 somewhere(for now) unless it is an important route strategy wise. Right now the point of the A220 isn't to add long-thin routes, which will come later, the point is to differentiate itself in an important market/route.

Look at SEA-SJC/SFO and DFW-NYC for 3 perfect examples, these are no-doubt important routes in their own right and DL is at a clear disadvantage on these frequency wise. However, the A220 is a clear differentiator against AS and AA respectively. Just look at DFW-LGA, the A220's 2-3 configuration along with PTVs is superior to AA's oasis configured cabins that usually lack PTVs.

Over the next few months I expect to see the A220s announced on more of these highly competitive routes, before the A220s eventually trickle down to the less competitive and/or smaller markets. RDU-LGA screams A220 to me, CLT/ORD-LGA, ORD-BOS, PHX-LAX, and others would fit that bill.

flyfresno

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:40 pm

I think you will eventually see the A220 extend current seasonal routes to year-round or near year-round, and add frequency to other routes. For example, both ONT and OAK could eventually benefit from more comprehensive service to ATL (frequencies closer to what you see in SMF or SJC, but on the A220), and places like BZN and FAR could see close to daily year-round flights. I think “unproven” markets like FAT and SBA will be the last to be added, if ever.

ctrabs0114

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Look at SEA-SJC/SFO and DFW-NYC for 3 perfect examples, these are no-doubt important routes in their own right and DL is at a clear disadvantage on these frequency wise. However, the A220 is a clear differentiator against AS and AA respectively. Just look at DFW-LGA, the A220's 2-3 configuration along with PTVs is superior to AA's oasis configured cabins that usually lack PTVs.

That is exactly why I opted to fly DL via SLC instead of taking a non-stop on AA or AS to SEA: the A220 is a game-changer, in my opinion. (I'm just disappointed that my return flight on the DTW-DFW leg was a 712 instead of the originally scheduled CS1, but I can't stop singing the praises of DL's CS1.) Now, if DL would only look into a non-stop DFW-SEA with the CS1, I'd be thrilled.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

MIflyer12

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
However, the A220 is a clear differentiator against AS and AA respectively. Just look at DFW-LGA, the A220's 2-3 configuration along with PTVs is superior to AA's oasis configured cabins that usually lack PTVs.

If AA had a bunch of Oasis 321s on LGA-DFW I'd grant you that point - but that's not what's scheduled tomorrow, in a rotation of 11x 321 and 2x 738.

Delta has long assigned aircraft based on seat count, to maximize revenue on price-elastic demand. More recently they said they'd be trying to concentrate types out of specific hubs to achieve better substitution ability and parts availability. I'm not sure the 'better product' on competitive routes assertion domestically is anything more than a.net myth.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:27 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
evank516 wrote:

They’ve been saying for years that there is an impending parking of CR2s, yet for the last 2 years the CR2 fleet has remained steady. So I’ll believe a mass parking of jets when it happens, not a minute before then. Of course it’s mostly dependent on fuel prices, but either way, I’ll believe they’re going to park that many jets when they actually start parking them.
From my cold, dead hands

santi319

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:49 pm

jetskipper wrote:
Wonder what the fares on the DTW-DTW route will be.

It finally happened. They tried to trash yields by adding flights when other competition did their routes and now it has come full circle that they are trolling themselves.

freakyrat

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:58 pm

DL has an open RFP at SBN for a SBN-JFK flight. I can see when DL get's enough of the A220's in service it would free up some of the CRJ7's and 9's where they can finally offer the flight. With Project Propel working and enplanements up 27% this is a future possibility.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 pm

freakyrat wrote:
DL has an open RFP at SBN for a SBN-JFK flight. I can see when DL get's enough of the A220's in service it would free up some of the CRJ7's and 9's where they can finally offer the flight. With Project Propel working and enplanements up 27% this is a future possibility.

Propel is a joke. Delta has 2000 regional pilots they already employ, but have decided they’d rather hire college kids than current, experienced 121 pilots.
From my cold, dead hands

wedgetail737

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:18 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
klm617 wrote:
compensateme wrote:

But I don’t get why DL’s using 220 to upgague elsewhere when they could be using them to open up new routes to ATL.

BFI, IFP, BOI, IDA, GEG, BFL, etc. to ATL would print money!!

I agree 100% there is so much untapped potential out of Atlanta that is being over looked and the A220 is the perfect plane to fill that gap. I would like to add PSC and LMT to that list.

You might want to clarify that BFI has no mainline service. Kenmore Air still has scheduled airline service between BFI and Friday Harbor and Eastsound. JetSuiteX will begin BFI service to OAK.

wedgetail737

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:20 pm

flyfresno wrote:
I think you will eventually see the A220 extend current seasonal routes to year-round or near year-round, and add frequency to other routes. For example, both ONT and OAK could eventually benefit from more comprehensive service to ATL (frequencies closer to what you see in SMF or SJC, but on the A220), and places like BZN and FAR could see close to daily year-round flights. I think “unproven” markets like FAT and SBA will be the last to be added, if ever.

OAK-ATL fails every time DL tries it. I don't know why they keep trying it.

LAXBUR

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:21 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I agree 100% there is so much untapped potential out of Atlanta that is being over looked and the A220 is the perfect plane to fill that gap. I would like to add PSC and LMT to that list.

You might want to clarify that BFI has no mainline service. Kenmore Air still has scheduled airline service between BFI and Friday Harbor and Eastsound. JetSuiteX will begin BFI service to OAK.

I mentioned JetSuite earlier. But thanks for your help. Obviously because Kenmore and JetSuite are there makes these ridiculous ATL routings valid. Give me a break.

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:22 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
However, the A220 is a clear differentiator against AS and AA respectively. Just look at DFW-LGA, the A220's 2-3 configuration along with PTVs is superior to AA's oasis configured cabins that usually lack PTVs.

If AA had a bunch of Oasis 321s on LGA-DFW I'd grant you that point - but that's not what's scheduled tomorrow, in a rotation of 11x 321 and 2x 738.

Delta has long assigned aircraft based on seat count, to maximize revenue on price-elastic demand. More recently they said they'd be trying to concentrate types out of specific hubs to achieve better substitution ability and parts availability. I'm not sure the 'better product' on competitive routes assertion domestically is anything more than a.net myth.

Regardless of B737, A321, or whatever configuration, the A220 is a better onboard product than what AA offers on the route

"Delta’s message to American and United is clear: This quieter, roomier jet—with transcontinental range—is designed to be a corporate-contract winner. "Not only does it have far superior economics, but the customer experience is going to be amongst the best, Delta President Glen Hauenstein told investors in December."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ivals-hubs

They have dozens and dozens of routes they can put the A220 on, but the first route they use it to is AA's largest hub, and you think it has nothing to do with competition.......

LAXBUR

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:29 pm

klm617 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
compensateme wrote:

There are many cities that Delta has linked to Atlanta that could not support that link on O/D alone but because Atlanta is what it is those cities deserve to be connected to the Delta network and LMT is one of those cities.

lol. You’re funny. I really hope you’re a high schooler. Even if you are, you should be old enough to understand that a city of 20,000 with a weak economy and no tourism will not have transcon service. If you think there’d be anywhere near 109 people a day flying from LMT to Atlanta or beyond then I have a bridge to sell you. It would likely have single digit passenger counts most days.

klm617

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Regardless of B737, A321, or whatever configuration, the A220 is a better onboard product than what AA offers on the route

"Delta’s message to American and United is clear: This quieter, roomier jet—with transcontinental range—is designed to be a corporate-contract winner. "Not only does it have far superior economics, but the customer experience is going to be amongst the best, Delta President Glen Hauenstein told investors in December."

They have dozens and dozens of routes they can put the A220 on, but the first route they use it to is AA's largest hub, and you think it has nothing to do with competition.......

Which routes does Delta use the A220 on out of CLT ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:51 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Because it's ATL and you keep trying a route at your premiere hub until it's a winner.

compensateme

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Because they’ve never had the 220.

At UPS’s Chicago (ground) hub, they have a door for every UPS facility in the country. With the game changing 220, soon ATL could have a (shared) gate for every commercial airport in the country.

It’ll likely coincide with completion of refurbishment of ATL’s facilities, and DL will likely adopt Sean Kingston’s hot “Take You There” as it’s theme song, repeatedly playing the song inside ATL for our enjoyment :).

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:01 pm

klm617 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Which routes does Delta use the A220 on out of CLT ?

When I said largest hub, I was referring to DFW

evank516

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Babyshark wrote:

I can only speak for MCI in my response, but DL is the second largest carrier there after WN,. MCI is in a good spot to rotate A220s between the east and west coast, and it is a rather long flight at about 1,100 miles and WN flies the route with 737s. They've been on the route for years now. They fly MCI-ATL/BOS/DTW/LAX/LGA/MSP/SEA/SLC and seasonal Saturday service to CUN, I'd hardly call that a small station.

freakyrat

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:29 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

Propel is a joke. Delta has 2000 regional pilots they already employ, but have decided they’d rather hire college kids than current, experienced 121 pilots.

Project Propel is a program used by SBN and GRR to increase the amount of enplanements by getting local businesses to fly local instead of driving to other airports. It has been a success for both airports. It has nothing to do with hiring pilots. Having AA back in SBN also helped. Delta has had an open RFP in SBN for a daily JFK flight for the last 5 years. The increased use of A220's out of the New York area will free up the CRJ7's and 9's to operate the flight. UA's EWR flight was a success but UA decided to decrease RJ flying at EWR because of congestion and late flights. This leaves a void to be filled by DL if they desire.

compensateme

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Why does DL have only 50 A220-200 on order? So many great potential routes! IMO, DL needs to order at least another 100 A220-200 and 30 B787-8!

rufusmi

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:13 pm

freakyrat wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

Project Propel is a program used by SBN and GRR to increase the amount of enplanements by getting local businesses to fly local instead of driving to other airports. It has been a success for both airports. It has nothing to do with hiring pilots. Having AA back in SBN also helped. Delta has had an open RFP in SBN for a daily JFK flight for the last 5 years. The increased use of A220's out of the New York area will free up the CRJ7's and 9's to operate the flight. UA's EWR flight was a success but UA decided to decrease RJ flying at EWR because of congestion and late flights. This leaves a void to be filled by DL if they desire.

There’s two different projects with the name propel:

https://www.projectpropel.com/
https://propel.delta.com/content/propel/en_US/home.html

SteelChair

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:21 pm

compensateme wrote:
Why does DL have only 50 A220-200 on order? So many great potential routes! IMO, DL needs to order at least another 100 A220-200 and 30 B787-8!

Because they haven't yet made the follow on order. Bombardier needed to get the production lines up and running and get the financials/Airbus CSALP figured out first. And PW needed time to spool up production.

I foresee 100 more CS300s and a launch order for 150 CS500s. Within the next 12 months. And they won't get launch order pricing this time. Ultimately, by 2026-27, everything smaller than a 737-900/A321 will be a CSeries/A220.

MHO. But a blind man could see the plan. AA and UAL should step in and grab delivery slots, but they're too stupid to do it.

And yeah, 787-10s could happen. 9s maybe. 8s never....its suboptimized.

freakyrat

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:34 am

I didn't know that there were two Project Propel's One by Delta dealing with Pilot hiring and the one by the local business communities of SBN and GRR to get businesses to commit to fly locally. That Project Propel has been a success for both of the airports. GRR will fly over a million passengers this year and SBN a little over 750,000 if trends continue. This is good news for all the airlines. Delta has been occasionally integrating CRJ7 and CRJ9 aircraft into SBN to be able to offer First Class seating which boost's yields. With the introduction of the A220 this frees up these larger RJ's to be able to offer better service in the secondary markets.

gsg013

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:29 pm

TW870 wrote:
[url][/url]
evank516 wrote:
I'm more surprised that the A220 hasn't been deployed on more routes out of LGA/JFK that has an extensive portfolio of long, thin large RJ routes like LGA-STL/OMA/MCI. I thought they planned to use cities like those to route aircraft between east and west coast hubs? Even with 11 aircraft they haven't focused as heavily on NYC as I thought they were going to.

I think you will see additional NYC service eventually. Right now, LGA-IAH/DFW eats up a lot of block time on the 12 airplanes that are flying. Other than that, the next operational goal is to replace 717 flying out west to get those aircraft back to MSP/DTW/ATL/NYC. SLC-SJC just started, for example. Once they get that flying replaced, I think you will see more growth out of LGA and JFK on the very type of markets you name. NYC and SLC are the two A220 pilot bases for now, and so I think that upgauging large RJs out of New York will be front and center next year, which will be crewed by the NYC base. And I fully agree with the posters who have said that long thin ATL routes are not the purpose of this aircraft at DL.

I know it's not JFK or LGA but I am flying DTW-EWR on the A220 tomorrow evening. Does that plane then RON at EWR and then go EWR-BOS?

Taeks

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:08 pm

I can see a market like PNS getting A220 service.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:18 pm

compensateme wrote:

IDK they need more NOW. It can open up so many new routes from ATL.

The A220 is a GAMECHANGER!

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:21 pm

SteelChair wrote:

I foresee 100 more CS300s and a launch order for 150 CS500s. Within the next 12 months. And they won't get launch order pricing this time. Ultimately, by 2026-27, everything smaller than a 737-900/A321 will be a CSeries/A220.

MHO. But a blind man could see the plan. AA and UAL should step in and grab delivery slots, but they're too stupid to do it.

Stay away from the controlled substances. DL isn't going to replace 91 717s, 57 319s, 62 320s and 77 738s by 2026 -- not with A220s, not with anything. Not when they've got lots of 767s and 757s to replace in that same window -- capital spending constraints won't support it and the 4% annual domestic growth they recently targeted. Your's is the worst kind of uninformed fanboiism.

SteelChair

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:27 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

Stay away from the controlled substances. DL isn't going to replace 91 717s, 57 319s, 62 320s and 77 738s by 2026 -- not with A220s, not with anything. Not when they've got lots of 767s and 757s to replace in that same window -- capital spending constraints won't support it and the 4% annual domestic growth they recently targeted. Your's is the worst kind of uninformed fanboiism.

The youngest of the planes you mentioned is already almost 20 years old, the oldest are almost 30 years old. It doesn't seem outrageous to suggest that they would all be replaced within 7 to 8 years from now. That's just a cold hard calculation of the factual numbers of the age of the fleet and has nothing to do with fanboyism. Your emotional ad hominem attack is not based upon facts.

But okay I'll bite if they don't get replaced with a 220s what do they get replaced with? Too heavy and sub optimized a320neos? Not likely. 737 Maxes that that are currently grounded and based on 1968 technology? Not likely... it could happen, either could happen but it's not likely

rgla2016

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm

SteelChair wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

The youngest of the planes you mentioned is already almost 20 years old, the oldest are almost 30 years old. It doesn't seem outrageous to suggest that they would all be replaced within 7 to 8 years from now. That's just a cold hard calculation of the factual numbers of the age of the fleet and has nothing to do with fanboyism. Your emotional ad hominem attack is not based upon facts.

But okay I'll bite if they don't get replaced with a 220s what do they get replaced with? Too heavy and sub optimized a320neos? Not likely. 737 Maxes that that are currently grounded and based on 1968 technology? Not likely... it could happen, either could happen but it's not likely

While its true the a320s are getting up there in age, the 717s, a319s, and 738s are all roughly 15 years old on average. They still have 10 to 15 years left until they will need to be retired, more than enough to time order a replacement at a later point. Moreover, its foolish to assume Airbus could even deliver enough a220s within your outlandish timeframe. As of right now, after 3 years of production, they have only managed to deliver fewer than 100 airframes. To produce enough a220s to replace all of those planes and certify a whole new type within 8 years would be impossible.

Regardless, Delta has already made its fleet replacement plan fairly clear. The recent order for 100 a321neos when combined with the existing orders for the C series is more than enough to allow for the retirement of the oldest narrow bodies within the 130-160 seat category. The rest of the planes can soldier on until the right opportunity to order a future replacement arises.

TW870

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:33 pm

gsg013 wrote:
I know it's not JFK or LGA but I am flying DTW-EWR on the A220 tomorrow evening. Does that plane then RON at EWR and then go EWR-BOS?

Nope. The A220 is only on the ground for about 8 hours at EWR, and then turns as Delta 2752 back to Detroit at 6am. Pilots cover all three airports in New York. So the inbound from DTW is most likely the end of a pilot trip, and then the 6am departure the next day is a new crew starting out on a new trip. This is the first time the 220 has a crew that has originated out of EWR. Once the airplane gets to Detroit, it then operates DL 511 to DFW, and jumps onto one of many 220 patterns at DFW.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:51 pm

freakyrat wrote:
I didn't know that there were two Project Propel's One by Delta dealing with Pilot hiring and the one by the local business communities of SBN and GRR to get businesses to commit to fly locally. That Project Propel has been a success for both of the airports. GRR will fly over a million passengers this year and SBN a little over 750,000 if trends continue. This is good news for all the airlines. Delta has been occasionally integrating CRJ7 and CRJ9 aircraft into SBN to be able to offer First Class seating which boost's yields. With the introduction of the A220 this frees up these larger RJ's to be able to offer better service in the secondary markets.

How long did the CR7/9s last in SBN? Seems like they’re going to last much longer schedule wise in FWA than they did in SBN
From my cold, dead hands

fanoftristars

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:54 am

How is the reliability working out on the A220? Both my flight to SLC from DFW last Thursday and return on Monday were changed to a 737-800 and A319 respectively. I've flown the A220 twice before and so these swaps made me disappointed to say the least. The outbound was so delayed that DL bought us tix on AA (on an Oasis configured 737-800 and bumped back to coach, so that added insult to injury).
"FLY DELTA JETS"

SteelChair

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:19 am

rgla2016 wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

While its true the a320s are getting up there in age, the 717s, a319s, and 738s are all roughly 15 years old on average. They still have 10 to 15 years left until they will need to be retired, more than enough to time order a replacement at a later point. Moreover, its foolish to assume Airbus could even deliver enough a220s within your outlandish timeframe. As of right now, after 3 years of production, they have only managed to deliver fewer than 100 airframes. To produce enough a220s to replace all of those planes and certify a whole new type within 8 years would be impossible.

Regardless, Delta has already made its fleet replacement plan fairly clear. The recent order for 100 a321neos when combined with the existing orders for the C series is more than enough to allow for the retirement of the oldest narrow bodies within the 130-160 seat category. The rest of the planes can soldier on until the right opportunity to order a future replacement arises.

Well you make some good points, but if you do the math, at least half of the 287 airplanes listed above will have to be replaced prior to 2027 in order to be retired by age 30. Thats 143 airplanes.

Now factor in growth. Thats perhaps another 50. 193.

Now factor in upgauging from RJ's. 40-50 more? 240 ish.

And all of that is putting no dent in what is the oldest fleeet among the US majors. If they choose to take 3-5 years off of the average fleet age (what is it, 17 years now?) Then they need at least 50-100 more. Now we're up around 300. How long will they continue netting $5-6B per year and not improving the age of the fleet? It seems reasonable that they might want to take a few years off the average fleet age.

Outlandish? Not from where I sit. It all seems pretty easily quantifiable to me. 300 airplanes in 7 years is 43/yr., pretty benign considering that they are taking 80-85 this year. But go ahead and throw around words like outlandish, uninformed, and fanboyism while not showing your math.

RobertS975

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:25 am

Can I ask an honest question about the A220? What is all the excitement about? Is it really just "a new broom sweeps clean" or is there something really exciting and advantageous over other 5 abreast aircraft?

SteelChair

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:24 am

RobertS975 wrote:
Can I ask an honest question about the A220? What is all the excitement about? Is it really just "a new broom sweeps clean" or is there something really exciting and advantageous over other 5 abreast aircraft?

What other 5 abreast aircraft are being built?

flyinggoat

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 am

DL seems to be using the A220 on more regional type flying, but I’m curious to see if they eventually are used for thin trans-con routes. ATL-BLI (Bellingham, WA) is one that I think could work, especially with so many Canadians across the border. There are some great connection possibilities from ATL.

TW870

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:48 am

fanoftristars wrote:
How is the reliability working out on the A220? Both my flight to SLC from DFW last Thursday and return on Monday were changed to a 737-800 and A319 respectively. I've flown the A220 twice before and so these swaps made me disappointed to say the least. The outbound was so delayed that DL bought us tix on AA (on an Oasis configured 737-800 and bumped back to coach, so that added insult to injury).

There have been quite a few swaps because the weather in New York has been absolutely terrible for most days in the last couple of weeks. I came through JFK last Wednesday from PDL. My outbound from the Azores was late because the airplane had been delayed in thunderstorms at JFK the night before, and then I sat in the penalty box on my MSP connection for 90 minutes with lightning hitting very close by and heavy downpours. Since the 220 flies all the LGA-IAH and LGA-DFW trips, the fleet is very exposed to New York. My guess is that you got those swaps out west because the 220s were not in position. Some aircraft do patterns such as LGA-BOS-LGA-DFW-SLC-DFW over a given period. They get so snarled up on the first two legs that they swap in a different aircraft type for the rest of the rotation. As far as I know news has been good lately on both the A220 and PW1500G dispatch reliability.

zululima

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:58 am

SteelChair wrote:

Sukhoi Superjet, which is also a sweet ride.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

Jouhou

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:14 am

RobertS975 wrote:

From a passengers perspective? I keep saying, don't underestimate the power of improved cabin pressurization.
情報

SteelChair

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:33 pm

zululima wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

Sukhoi Superjet, which is also a sweet ride.

Ok, i will try again.

What other 5 abreast aircraft are being built whcih have a realistic chance of gaining orders from successful airlines in developed countries?

cokepopper

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Just flew EWR-DTW-DFW. Shocked how quiet this aircraft is!

gsg013

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 pm

SteelChair wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

Have you heard of a 797? I strongly believe DL will make a 797 order to start replacing some of the lift described above (737-900s, 757-200, 767-300).

Current Narrow Body Orders are as follows:
737-900ER: (180 pax) 1
A220-100: (109 pax) 27
A220-300: (130 pax) 50
A321-200CEO: (191 Pax) 46
A321-NEO: (197 pax) 100

This alone is 224 brand new narrow bodies coming online between now and 2025 This averages 3.1 new NB a month added to the fleet in that time Frame.

I have no clue what the need will be but I think a large 797 order as well as top offs on some of the above stated orders will be good for DL.

ctrabs0114

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 pm

fanoftristars wrote:

It sounds like the A220 might be going through those "teething pains" that most new planes go through. I saw a DL 738 covering a midday LGA-DFW flight that is normally covered by an A220 a few weeks ago (and it's rare to see anything other than an A320-family/717/A220 flying mainline into DFW/DAL other than sports charters).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA