LAX772LR
Topic Author

Most and Least expensive US airports by CPE (cost per enplanement)

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:05 am

Special thanks to NolaMD88fan for compiling the research:
https://cats.airports.faa.gov/Reports/r ... _ufZoc4eas

LOWEST cost airports (FAA Large and Medium hub classifications):
    BUR = $2.09
    ATL = $2.61
    CLT = $3.58
    SLC = $4.17
    MSY = $4.31
    PBI = $4.70
    CVG = $4.71
    TPA = $4.89
    PHX = $6.26
    MKE = $6.42

HIGHEST:
    EWR = $26.17
    JFK = $25.41
    SFO = $20.63
    LGA = $19.33
    MIA = $19.20
    ORD = $17.87
    LAX = $16.75
    IAD = $16.53
    PHL = $16.04
    SJU = $14.99

Looking at these data pretty clearly explains things like:
  • Why DL would rather send more and more pax through ATL
  • Why MSY has experienced an explosion in ULCC service (its CPE has gone down significantly compared to previous years)
  • Why UA has shifted a not-insignificant amount of eastern cnnx to IAD from EWR
  • Etc etc etc
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

PatrickZ80

Re: Most and Least expensive US airports by CPE (cost per enplanement)

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:07 am

This is kind of old news, however very interesting to discuss. However this only shows the top and bottom, not anything in between. Unfortunately the link isn't very helpful for looking up anything in between. Only thing I was able to find was this post from 2 years ago:

viewtopic.php?t=1357825#p19411881

CPEs might have changed a bit since then, but it gives you an indication. Based on that data, you can compare airports per region. Here are some:

New York region:
Newark: $ 28.31
JFK: $ 24.62
White Plains: $ 22.06
LaGuardia $ 18.04
Stewart: $ 5.42
Long Island MacArthur: No data available

Boston region:
Boston: $ 14.54
Portsmouth: No data available
Providence: No data available

Miami region:
Miami: $ 19.93
Fort Lauderdale: $ 5.84
West Palm Beach: No data available

Orlando region:
Orlando: $ 7.73
Daytona Beach: $ 6.84
Orlando Sanford: $ 2.03

Los Angeles region:
LAX: $ 14.07
Ontario: $ 10.51
Orange County: $ 9.91
Long Beach: $ 8.93
Burbank: $ 2.32

San Francisco region:
San Francisco: $ 16.60
Oakland: $ 11.32
San José: $ 9.82

Chicago region:
O'Hare: $ 14.65
Midway: $ 7.54
Rockford: $ 3.05
Gary: No data available

Washington DC area:
Dulles: $ 23.61
Washington National: $ 13.32
Baltimore-Washington: $ 9.86

Tampa region:
Sarasota: $ 11.05
Tampa: $ 5.20
St. Pete-Clearwater: $ 1.65

Charlotte region:
Charlotte Douglas: $ 3.04
Concord: No data available

Houston region:
George Bush: $ 10.27
Hobby: $ 6.46

Dallas region:
Dallas - Fort Worth: $ 8.75
Love Field: $ 3.59

Phoenix region:
Sky Harbor: $ 5.99
Mesa: No data available

For some airlines, such numbers are leading in their choice of airports. Now these are the numbers for the USA, but similar data also exists in Europe where you can identify a cheap airport by a large Ryanair presence. Expensive airports are known for their lack of Ryanair service. It's a way for Ryanair to keep the costs (and therefor their ticket prices) low.

compensateme

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:27 am

LAX772LR wrote:
[list][*]Why DL would rather send more and more pax through ATL.

No, it doesn’t. CPE is an abused stat; few people understand what it really means.

CPE = the total costs charged to all airlines (less any rebates) / total enplanements.

The reason why ATL, CLT, etc. have low CPE is simple math — the bulk of costs are fixed, so spreading them across tons of traffic lowers the CPE. Keep in mind CPE is NOT a check airlines cut but rather an average of costs.

Here’s an example:
Airports X and Airport Z each charge identical costs to airlines. Airport X and Z are each served by three legacies, generating 200,000 enplanements; however, airport X also has G4, which adds 200,000 Passengers.

Therefore, Airport X has a CPE that’s roughly half of Z... yet the costs charged to the legacies is the exact same at both X and Z.

Again, CPE has utility but is generally abused by those who don’t understand it.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Bobloblaw

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:49 am

compensateme wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
[list][*]Why DL would rather send more and more pax through ATL.

No, it doesn’t. CPE is an abused stat; few people understand what it really means.

CPE = the total costs charged to all airlines (less any rebates) / total enplanements.

The reason why ATL, CLT, etc. have low CPE is simple math — the bulk of costs are fixed, so spreading them across tons of traffic lowers the CPE. Keep in mind CPE is NOT a check airlines cut but rather an average of costs.

Here’s an example:
Airports X and Airport Z each charge identical costs to airlines. Airport X and Z are each served by three legacies, generating 200,000 enplanements; however, airport X also has G4, which adds 200,000 Passengers.

Therefore, Airport X has a CPE that’s roughly half of Z... yet the costs charged to the legacies is the exact same at both X and Z.

Again, CPE has utility but is generally abused by those who don’t understand it.

Is it always fixed costs or are there any variable costs? In your example it seems that G4 is operating for free. Certainly it would be a good measure of station profitability? If X and Z each have the same capacity and same departures and same costs but X has a higher Load Factor, X has a lower CPE.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:27 am

compensateme wrote:
CPE has utility but is generally abused by those who don’t understand it.

You mean like someone who'd present it with no regard for the numerous contributory factors for the initial cost basis prior to division? :roll:

bluefrog

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:53 am

let me get this right the price is per passenger?i know it 's a dumb question but we're not all aviation geeks ,i just love planes and travel

MIflyer12

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:00 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
compensateme wrote:
CPE has utility but is generally abused by those who don’t understand it.

You mean like someone who'd present it with no regard for the numerous contributory factors for the initial cost basis prior to division? :roll:

Yeh, just like that.

DL at ATL also has high average gauge working for it, further lowering per-passenger costs (see DL's 12/17 investor presentation) and encouraging ATL as the hub if a connection is required. ATL sees a lot of frequency on many routes, too.

The high-cost airports all show that you can have big passenger counts and still suffer high CPE.

masseybrown

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:51 pm

bluefrog wrote:
let me get this right the price is per passenger?i know it 's a dumb question but we're not all aviation geeks ,i just love planes and travel

Yes, but the real costs vary from airline to airline. It's still a useful indicator for showing a trend of how the airport management is doing.

CLE is an instructive example as it went through the UA dehubbing:
2013 - $14.21 (with UA hub)
2014 - $21.25 (hub ended)
2015 - $17.76 (cost controls take effect)
2016 - $19.70 (some costs added back, cuts were too great)
2017 - $17.13 (O&D traffic builds)
2018 - $14.97 (traffic, mostly O&D exceeds 2013)

Jo8338

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:55 pm

If PBI is so cheap why is it so empty and hard to get a flight to anywhere other than NY?

Midwestindy

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:00 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
If PBI is so cheap why is it so empty and hard to get a flight to anywhere other than NY?

I hear there is a place called FLL nearby....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

lightsaber

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Wow, those numbers help explain DL at ATL.

Do we have DTW, DFW, IAH, and DEN?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

CairnterriAIR

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Jo8338 wrote:

The cities other than NY, such as BOS, BDL, PHL, ATL, PVD, BWI, IAD, CLT, ORD and several others all have decent non-stops. PBI has very good service for an airport of its size, considering how close it is to MIA and FLL.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:51 pm

I have a full spreadsheet of CPE over the past three years for the 61 FAA defined medium and large hub airports, but it's currently on my home computer. I will create a google sheet and post it to this thread when I get off work at 15:00 CDT. The post should be up by 15:30 CDT.

WN732

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Wow ONT is extremely high considering the economics of the area. They just raised parking fees in the airport lots too.

TWA772LR

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Id like to see how airports with large cargo ops like MEM, SDF, ANC, and ONT fall.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

AirFiero

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:39 pm

San Francisco region:
San Francisco: $ 16.60
Oakland: $ 11.32
San José: $ 9.82

Interesting. Maybe at least a contributor to the growth rate there recently? :scratchchin:

AirFiero

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:43 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I have a full spreadsheet of CPE over the past three years for the 61 FAA defined medium and large hub airports, but it's currently on my home computer. I will create a google sheet and post it to this thread when I get off work at 15:00 CDT. The post should be up by 15:30 CDT.

^^^
This guy should get an a.net award for repeatedly posting real information and data. :thumbsup:

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:52 pm

AirFiero wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

This guy should get an a.net award for repeatedly posting real information and data.

He's a jewel and a treasure.

He does this kinda stuff all the time over at the MSY Spotters' page.... the rest of us just pull up a seat, get some popcorn, and start reading. :cloudnine:

AirFiero

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:05 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

This guy should get an a.net award for repeatedly posting real information and data.

He's a jewel and a treasure.

He does this kinda stuff all the time over at the MSY Spotters' page.... the rest of us just pull up a seat, get some popcorn, and start reading. :cloudnine:

Yes, I read the MSY thread partly just for the great data.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Here you go fellow aviation enthusiasts. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PNQ5fbNw-AVb54yMjWSvp0OtYRbQJyp13ptQS0m0dsQ/edit?usp=sharing

The spreadsheet contains CPE (cost per enplanement) data for the past 3 years for all FAA defined medium and large hub airports, so that trends can be observed for those that are interested. I guess I should have posted this from the start.

Rdh3e

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:15 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Why MSY has experienced an explosion in ULCC service (its CPE has gone down significantly compared to previous years)

AirFiero wrote:
Interesting. Maybe at least a contributor to the growth rate there recently? :scratchchin:

In both of these cases the lower/decreasing CPE is not the driver of the growth, but rather it is a symptom of the growth. CPE was X, add a bunch of service which does not add fixed costs, only limited variable costs, and boom your CPE is now X * 0.8.

WPvsMW

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:21 pm

IAD = $16.53
and that's with a $10/CPE subsidy (compared to 2013) from MWAA.
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2016/11/bud ... appealing/

MWAA's bet is total emplanements will be stimulated so that subsidies to keep traffic from migrating to BWI won't be needed. That's a bet I wouldn't take ... but maybe Moxy will.

Justapax

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Here you go fellow aviation enthusiasts. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PNQ5fbNw-AVb54yMjWSvp0OtYRbQJyp13ptQS0m0dsQ/edit?usp=sharing

The spreadsheet contains CPE (cost per enplanement) data for the past 3 years for all FAA defined medium and large hub airports, so that trends can be observed for those that are interested. I guess I should have posted this from the start.

Thanks so much for posting this. All of us armchair CEOs can have fun analyzing it.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:36 pm

AirFiero wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Sure, though that's not the thread being linked to..... ;)

Rdh3e wrote:
In both of these cases the lower/decreasing CPE is not the driver of the growth, but rather it is a symptom of the growth. CPE was X, add a bunch of service which does not add fixed costs, only limited variable costs, and boom your CPE is now X * 0.8.

No. While the actual "CPE" statistic might fit that description, the ULCCs didn't just up and decide to add tons of service for no reason.... a (if not "the") contributory factor was a years-long advertised and concerted effort by the aviation board to lower costs airport-wide (and keep them low, with the transition to the all-new terminal) with the focus of increased service in mind.

Rdh3e

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
No. While the actual "CPE" statistic might fit that description, the ULCCs didn't just up and decide to add tons of service for no reason.... a (if not "the") contributory factor was a years-long advertised and concerted effort by the aviation board to lower costs airport-wide (and keep them low, with the transition to the all-new terminal) with the focus of increased service in mind.

Sure, it couldn't possibly be the massive, underserved pools of demand...

Airports love to hype their "cost control" but note that even G4 flies to EWR (the most expensive airport), so airport costs are a secondary driver not the primary force behind why airlines add service.

jetblastdubai

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Justapax wrote:

Thanks so much for posting this. All of us armchair CEOs can have fun analyzing it.

This is a couple years old but the doc has some good background info on CPE calculation and variables.

https://www.dwuconsulting.com/airport-f ... -passenger
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Sure, it couldn't possibly be the massive, underserved pools of demand...

Most of the demand that's been addressed has been stimulated at cost point, not access or routings. You're generally not going to entice the former, in a medium-hub market, without lower costs.

ULCCs have added very few additional/original routes there, what they've mostly experienced is stimulation on the lower end of extant routings. Most of the routes that NK has expanded on, for example, already had multiple carriers on them.

AirFiero

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:54 am

LAX772LR wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Sure, though that's not the thread being linked to..... ;)

Doesn’t matter, I’m talking about the relevant thread, here.

compensateme

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Yeh, just like that.

DL at ATL also has high average gauge working for it, further lowering per-passenger costs (see DL's 12/17 investor presentation) and encouraging ATL as the hub if a connection is required. ATL sees a lot of frequency on many routes, too.

The high-cost airports all show that you can have big passenger counts and still suffer high CPE.

Before you throw more stones, you may want to consider that you're discussing an entirely different topic; e.g. the dynamics of DL's hub work because it uses larger gauge aircraft to lower cost, and pushes lower fare buckets toward lower fares. Not the same as CPE, which is a simple formula (total costs charged to airlines / total enplanements).

Note that CLT, SLC and MSY, for example, have borrowed billions of dollars for expansionary projects, but will not be required to service the debt for quite some time. When they do, CLT, SLC & MSY's CPE will balloon. Does that mean incumbent carriers are going to flee? Think MCI... if that were to happen, it'd kinda defeat the purpose of those projects.

Like I said, CPE is the most abused statistic within these forums; most people have no idea what it means and assume it's a check airlines cut per passenger. In reality, with few exceptions, at most airports, the bulk of legacies' costs are FIXED, not variable.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
Airports love to hype their "cost control" but note that even G4 flies to EWR (the most expensive airport)

Which always surprised me as it would be by far the most expensive airport they serve.

Of course all airports within New York are expensive with the exception of Stewart which is far cheaper than the rest. Actually I'm surprised Allegiant didn't set up a large hub at Stewart, with an affordable bus link to New York City it could just work for them and they could offer lower fares out of Stewart than they can out of Newark. Of course the same goes for other ULCCs too but the other American ULCCs are more focused on primary airports.

ScottB

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Actually I'm surprised Allegiant didn't set up a large hub at Stewart, with an affordable bus link to New York City it could just work for them and they could offer lower fares out of Stewart than they can out of Newark. Of course the same goes for other ULCCs too but the other American ULCCs are more focused on primary airports.

Because SWF is in the middle of nowhere when you're talking about NYC. Offering "an affordable bus link to New York City" would raise costs (since someone has to pay for the bus if the fares don't cover all the costs) and you're talking about another two hours of travel time minimum each way since you really don't want to miss your sub-daily G4 flight due to traffic on the Thruway. SWF has its own decent-sized catchment of close to two million, but trying to capture much demand from NYC is a fool's errand with the advent of greater LCC presence at all three major NYC airports.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos