Ishrion
Topic Author

Two Airlines Talked to For Direct New York to Zagreb Service + Possible AA Expansion at Dubrovnik.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:19 pm

https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/news/ ... for-zagreb

Recently AA added an extra weekly flight for PHL-DBV set in September.

The Director of the Dubrovnik Tourist Board:

"In the future, we expect for American Airlines to extend its seasonal operations, but also introduce some other destinations from the United States to Dubrovnik".

ORD?

The Director of the Croatian National Tourist Office in New York:

"We are in serious talks with two large carriers and we hope that within the next two to three years we can establish nonstop flights between New York and Zagreb".

Sounds like it'll be DL at JFK and UA at EWR? Although, given AA's expansion in the recent years, wouldn't be surprised if they gave JFK-DBV/ZAG a shot.

MIflyer12

Re: Two Airlines Talked to For Direct New York to Zagreb Service + Possible AA Expansion at Dubrovnik.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Ishrion wrote:

"We are in serious talks with two large carriers and we hope that within the next two to three years we can establish nonstop flights between New York and Zagreb".

Sounds like it'll be DL at JFK and UA at EWR? Although, given AA's expansion in the recent years, wouldn't be surprised if they gave JFK-DBV/ZAG a shot.

Did he just get back from Denver? He's deep into recreational substances. DUB has cruise ship traffic and scenes from Game of Thrones. Zagreb has... nothing of interest to Americans.

Blerg

Re: Two Airlines Talked to For Direct New York to Zagreb Service + Possible AA Expansion at Dubrovnik.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Most likely it won't be anyone in the end. They have been announcing New York flights for years now and nothing has come out of it. I think they would stand a chance if the US had an airline like Transat or Rouge. ZAG is a different market compared to DBV, market dynamics are different.

Blerg

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:32 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Did he just get back from Denver? He's deep into recreational substances. DUB has cruise ship traffic and scenes from Game of Thrones. Zagreb has... nothing of interest to Americans.

Just a small correction, Dubrovnik is DBV, DUB is Dublin.

chepos

Two Airlines Talked to For Direct New York to Zagreb Service + Possible AA Expansion at Dubrovnik.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:41 pm

The expansion I can see in DBV for AA is make the season longer (May to late September). Operate the route possibly 5 times a week, compared to 3, 4 w in September this year. Can’t imagine ORD or JFK -DBV flights from AA for next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by chepos on Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Antarius

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Per twitter person JonNYC, who seems to know all about AA, PHL-DBV is doing very well. So it isn't that crazy to suggest that AA is looking to extend it or others are eyeing a piece of the pie.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

AlexBrewster03

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Could Split-JFK work?

Blerg

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:08 pm

AlexBrewster03 wrote:
Could Split-JFK work?

I think the runway is too short so there would be severe payload restrictions.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Blerg wrote:
AlexBrewster03 wrote:
Could Split-JFK work?

8,366ft... don’t see why not?

Quick Edit: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... le-in-s19/

Air Transat scheduled but cancelled an A330-200 service from YYZ-Split, so there should be no problem.
Last edited by Ishrion on Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westgate

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:15 pm

Antarius wrote:
Per twitter person JonNYC, who seems to know all about AA, PHL-DBV is doing very well. So it isn't that crazy to suggest that AA is looking to extend it or others are eyeing a piece of the pie.

It would be interesting to know how much of the flight is connecting traffic via PHL, how well AA competes with other one-stop options from the USA to DBV, and also how much of the flight is O&D including passengers who are driving to PHL from New York, New Jersey, Baltimore and DC areas.

Blerg

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:
AlexBrewster03 wrote:
Could Split-JFK work?

Air Transat scheduled but cancelled an A330-200 service from YYZ-Split, so there should be no problem.

Can't remember now, there is something with the runway which doesn't allow a fully loaded widebody to take off. It was written on another aviation portal.

AlexBrewster03

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Blerg wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Can't remember now, there is something with the runway which doesn't allow a fully loaded widebody to take off. It was written on another aviation portal.

I would think an A321XLR could do it.. It would definitely be a very Seasonal route but I would rather go there instead of Zagreb

dcajet

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:10 pm

What would become of these routes the day the GOT fad is over? That seems to drive a good deal of the US-source traffic.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

adamh8297

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
DUB has cruise ship traffic and scenes from Game of Thrones. Zagreb has... nothing of interest to Americans.

90% agree..... Nothing of interest to most Americans especially non-millennial. Its not a big capital city when compared to other cities in Europe and its tough for them to travel to USA due to economic struggles in joining EU.

However, ZAG can make a nice little three-day stop. You can do day trips to Plitvice Lakes and Slovenia from it too. Food was excellent (especially the Croatian favorite: the struk) and I had one of the best airbnb's for the buck.

dcajet wrote:
What would become of these routes the day the GOT fad is over? That seems to drive a good deal of the US-source traffic.

Though Dubrovnik is a city of 30-40K - it serves a wider area called Dubrovnik Riviera, Montenegro, and parts of Bosnia. Day trips are available for Bay of Kotor-Montenegro, Mostar-Bosnia, and even Albania. Dubrovnik is the wealthiest part of Croatia though everyone who lives there makes their money during the high season. They do a lot of Split-Dubrovnik or Dubrovnik-Kotor mini sailing cruises now. I don't think any major cruise lines start or end cruises in Dubrovnik.

It may be tough to sustain especially for US travelers since I have heard there is a tourist tax implemented in Fall 2017 that added 30% to every food/drink bill. This makes other European beach resort areas cheaper (or more cheaper - I found Crete, Madeira, and even Santorini cheaper than the Dubrovnik Riviera).

If I ever wind up on a flight to DBV again- I am most likely going southeast to Montenegro for the week if I can't get to TGD or TIV cheaper or more conveniently.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

tphuang

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Dubrovnik is ranked really high on TripAdvisor. It's becoming a hotspot. I don't think end of got will sap that much interest. And there is something you can boast about. Everyone has been to Italy, how many people have been to Croatia?

Blerg

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
DUB has cruise ship traffic and scenes from Game of Thrones. Zagreb has... nothing of interest to Americans.

90% agree..... Nothing of interest to most Americans especially non-millennial. Its not a big capital city when compared to other cities in Europe and its tough for them to travel to USA due to economic struggles in joining EU.

However, ZAG can make a nice little three-day stop. You can do day trips to Plitvice Lakes and Slovenia from it too. Food was excellent (especially the Croatian favorite: the struk) and I had one of the best airbnb's for the buck.

dcajet wrote:

Though Dubrovnik is a city of 30-40K - it serves a wider area called Dubrovnik Riviera, Montenegro, and parts of Bosnia. Day trips are available for Bay of Kotor-Montenegro, Mostar-Bosnia, and even Albania. Dubrovnik is the wealthiest part of Croatia though everyone who lives there makes their money during the high season. They do a lot of Split-Dubrovnik or Dubrovnik-Kotor mini sailing cruises now. I don't think any major cruise lines start or end cruises in Dubrovnik.

It may be tough to sustain especially for US travelers since I have heard there is a tourist tax implemented in Fall 2017 that added 30% to every food/drink bill. This makes other European beach resort areas cheaper (or more cheaper - I found Crete, Madeira, and even Santorini cheaper than the Dubrovnik Riviera).

If I ever wind up on a flight to DBV again- I am most likely going southeast to Montenegro for the week if I can't get to TGD or TIV cheaper or more conveniently.

You should check Air Serbia from JFK to Montenegro, they have great deals and JU is the dominant carrier there. TIV is also a convenient option for those wanting to explore Hercegovina or the area around Dubrovnik.

qm001

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:09 am

dcajet wrote:

I am not sure what you were smoking whilst in DBV, but the 30% tax you speak of does not exist! :-D Yes, Crete and Madeira may be somewhat cheaper than DBV, but there is no ways that Santorini is. I found Croatia, within the last 8 weeks, to be VERY reasonably priced in all aspects. My only reason to avoid it would be because of the hoardes of American and Chinese tourists! That said, I respect how the 42,000 inhabitants of DBV earn their keep, and maintain the area so well, given the 1.27 million visitors they get every year.
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

SCQ83

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Dubrovnik is an Instagram hotspot, so there is really no comparison with an island like Madeira. Santorini is a better comparison.

IMO EWR-ZAG on UA could work, with connections with Croatia Airlines to the coast. I have flown a few times with OU to the coast via ZAG (DBV, SPU or PUY) and in any flight the overwhelming majority of PAX seemed to be foreign tourists. That is the reason Korean Air flies to ZAG, so Korean tourists can connect with OU to the coast. That if Croatia Airlines still exists in the future :D

dcajet

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm

qm001 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I am not sure what you were smoking whilst in DBV, but the 30% tax you speak of does not exist! :-D Yes, Crete and Madeira may be somewhat cheaper than DBV, but there is no ways that Santorini is. I found Croatia, within the last 8 weeks, to be VERY reasonably priced in all aspects. My only reason to avoid it would be because of the hoardes of American and Chinese tourists! That said, I respect how the 42,000 inhabitants of DBV earn their keep, and maintain the area so well, given the 1.27 million visitors they get every year.

For the record, I do not smoke nor have I ever been to Dubrovnik. Something is wrong with the quote attribution, as I never wrote the above.This has been my only contribution to this thread:

dcajet wrote:
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

aemoreira1981

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:52 pm

I think that DL is more likely on a B763 from JFK to DBV, 3-4 times weekly. I can't see them doing ZAG, as that can be handled via a connection in CDG or PRG.

The real competition as I see it is JU500/1, which is timed to connect with the flight to DBV, but that route is flown on various equipment from the ATR72 to an A320, and I have to wonder if equipment matters. The problem is that a return trip requires an overnight stay in Belgrade.

Dieuwer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Dubrovnik seems to be another victim of overtourism

There are peak periods during the day when it can be difficult to get around. A rule of thumb is to avoid mornings until 1:00 p.m. when the cruise liners are in. Pedestrian traffic is insane when cruise ships are in and road traffic can be an absolute nightmare because Dubrovnik streets and roads are very narrow.

In 2016, Dubrovnik set a tourism record when over 10,000 visitors bought tickets to walk the old city walls in a single day.

https://www.smartertravel.com/overcrowd ... tinations/

CALMSP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 pm

I’d say UA and DL with EWR and JFK on the horizon. UA most likely would benefit most with connections on both ends.

But, as posted above, overcrowding is my biggest concern.

SCQ83

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Dubrovnik Old Town (which is what tourists visit) is very small. So it gets full quickly.

On the hand, off-season Dubrovnik is quite a ghost town, which to me is quite hard to understand. The Croatian/Dubrovnik authorities should focus on making DBV a year-round destination, because it has the potential. Most people don't go to Dubrovnik for the beaches (at least Asian and most American tourists), and visiting Dubrovnik can be easily combined with nearby "cultural" towns like Kotor, Mostar or Split. And this can be made year-round. Winter is less crowded, cheaper and has no sweaty weather (unless it rains, it is far more pleasant).

I have the feeling that countries like Greece or Croatia are still quite behind in being smart about making their coastal towns year-round destinations. And while tourists might not go to the beach in Krk or Rhodes in February, there are other places with plenty of cultural / leisure things to do in Croatia or Greece. Low-cost flights and new ways of life (single & retired people, remote workers, etc) have changed the way people travel. For instance Spain is quite ahead in this and places like Benidorm or Marbella are pretty busy even in slow season.

Dieuwer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Dubrovnik Old Town (which is what tourists visit) is very small. So it gets full quickly.

On the hand, off-season Dubrovnik is quite a ghost town, which to me is quite hard to understand. The Croatian/Dubrovnik authorities should focus on making DBV a year-round destination, because it has the potential. Most people don't go to Dubrovnik for the beaches (at least Asian and most American tourists), and visiting Dubrovnik can be easily combined with nearby "cultural" towns like Kotor, Mostar or Split. And this can be made year-round. Winter is less crowded, cheaper and has no sweaty weather (unless it rains, it is far more pleasant).

I have the feeling that countries like Greece or Croatia are still quite behind in being smart about making their coastal towns year-round destinations. And while tourists might not go to the beach in Krk or Rhodes in February, there are other places with plenty of cultural / leisure things to do in Croatia or Greece. Low-cost flights and new ways of life (single & retired people, remote workers, etc) have changed the way people travel. For instance Spain is quite ahead in this and places like Benidorm or Marbella are pretty busy even in slow season.

That sounds good, but AA is not in the business of shuttling people to off-season destinations for low $$.
American Airlines wants to stuff their planes full with tourists flying them from PHL to DBV in high season so they can extract top dollar. What does AA care if Dubrovnik already is stuffed to the gills. Besides, I bet that AA has better usage of their planes then flying them PHL-DBV in February.

SCQ83

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:23 pm

CALMSP wrote:
I’d say UA and DL with EWR and JFK on the horizon. UA most likely would benefit most with connections on both ends.

A lot has to do with cruise ships, not with a plane flying +200 US tourists a few times a week. Cruise ships are like a plague for places like Dubrovnik because they bring a lot of people and little revenue. In Dubrovnik the number of daily cruises is already limited to two a day. https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/news/ ... -dubrovnik

If tourism keeps increasing, at some point I wouldn't be shocked that cruises are barred from cities like Venice or Dubrovnik, also for environmental reasons:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsm ... 9fe16637db

Dieuwer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:29 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

A lot has to do with cruise ships, not with a plane flying +200 US tourists a few times a week. Cruise ships are like a plague for places like Dubrovnik because they bring a lot of people and little revenue. In Dubrovnik the number of daily cruises is already limited to two a day. https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/news/ ... -dubrovnik

If tourism keeps increasing, at some point I wouldn't be shocked that cruises are barred from cities like Venice or Dubrovnik, also for environmental reasons:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsm ... 9fe16637db

On average, a cruise ship is equivalent to 20 planes?

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Dubrovnik is very popular and growing. Cruise companies want that port over historically more popular ones in Greece. Way more demand than the port can handle. Athens has become much more a pain and unstable to travel thru too. Dubrovnik is much easier and less stressful alternative to dealing with Greece for your start/stop.

CALMSP

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm not debating what cruise vs. planes do, but just overall, I think a lot of places in Europe are becoming overcrowded with tourists.

Akiestar

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 pm

It's a good thing I went to DBV in 2012 (flew on OU's morning ZAG-DBV departure), just as GoT was starting and well before the tourist craze we see today really began. The region does have a lot to see that would warrant more service: I used Dubrovnik as a launching ground to Mostar and made my way down to Kotor as well.

Blerg

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 am

But does GoT really play such a massive role anyway? I mean tourism has been growing for years now, even before the tv show was released. I mean, Split is even busier than Dubrovnik and they didn't have anything shot there.

Yonderlust

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:08 am

I was first in DBV in 2007 and it was already picking up steam. I returned in 2016 and it seemed more crowded but still enjoyable. I actually preferred Split because it is more relaxed. Zagreb is ok but hardly any Americans there and it's a sort of drab grey feel to it. Side trips to Plitvice and Montenegro are definitely worth the time. I suspect Zagreb direct U.S. service will not materialize but think either Split or Montenegro are next.

Blerg

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:12 am

Yonderlust wrote:
I was first in DBV in 2007 and it was already picking up steam. I returned in 2016 and it seemed more crowded but still enjoyable. I actually preferred Split because it is more relaxed. Zagreb is ok but hardly any Americans there and it's a sort of drab grey feel to it. Side trips to Plitvice and Montenegro are definitely worth the time. I suspect Zagreb direct U.S. service will not materialize but think either Split or Montenegro are next.

Montenegro? Flights to the US? lol

SCQ83

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:38 am

Montenegro is definitely a wild idea. Split doesn't make a lot of sense either. It doesn't have the global clout of Dubrovnik nor the connection possibilities of Zagreb. Air Transat had announced SPU last year and did not materialise.

For long-haul carriers the choice is about ZAG (larger local market and multiple daily OU connections to the coast) or DBV (the place to go for tourists).

hpff

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm

I believe you can get to ZAG on Air Canada now, which should probably be enough for the diaspora+tourists. It’s not hard to get to the coast from ZAG, but as others have said it’s not exactly a tourist hotspot either. Apart from the economic boost I’m not sure the locals would be thrilled if tourism became less seasonal either...

chonetsao

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Cruise ship definitely bring money to locals. First, cruise ship have to pay port fees. That directly pays for employment of dock workers. Cruise ships also buy local produce, that pays for local vendors and trade companies. Cruise ships pays for local service like sewage and local port bus service, which contribute to local economy.

Each tour the cruise company sells, about $25-40 per person will be paid to local tour companies.

Each tourist on shore, is likely to contribute $30 per person average to local economy.

Whereas tourist come in via plane may have a all inclusive package or may only use the airport as a transit point. Cruise ship passengers actually bring more to the local SMEs in the port it actually visits. For a local government and local businesses, cruise ship is a much better revenue points than people comes in via plane.

Yonderlust

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 am

Blerg wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:

Yup, I know that's a silly remark but more likely than Zagreb. At least Montenegro has beautiful coast, nice weather, mountains and some new fancy resorts that recently opened.

Blerg

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:09 am

Yonderlust wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Yonderlust wrote:

Yup, I know that's a silly remark but more likely than Zagreb. At least Montenegro has beautiful coast, nice weather, mountains and some new fancy resorts that recently opened.

Their airports can't handle widebody flights since facilities are really subpar. Tivat is a glorified shed that's regularly overcrowded during busy summer months. Podgorica on the other hand is a bit better but the airport is also tiny.

The market might be there but it's not enough to fill a widebody to the US. Same story with Zagreb. They might be seeking flights but I don't see them happening. Even now when Air Canada buys Transat they will lose one airline to Canada as I highly doubt they will keep on competing one against the other.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos