rbavfan
Posts: 3196
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 pm

goldcrest wrote:
The British Airways aircraft that have seating in the vicinity of Doors 2 have a reduced capacity. These aircraft have the “mid haul” configuration with a total of 23J and 131Y. Doors 2 are partially obstructed by the seating at Row7, however power is disabled to these during taxi/takeoff/landing to prevent the seat leg rest being extended.


Opps was responding to British Airtours 737 comment
Last edited by rbavfan on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3196
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Polot wrote:
Did the ventral stairs on the 727 even count as an emergency exit in terms of the number of seats you were allowed to put in? It’s not like the DC-9/MD-80 where you had the ability to blast out the tail cone and exit through it.


viewtopic.php?t=775251

I did find this thread. It does show the aftermath of an MD 80 evac a few years back, but did not come across an answer to your question still.


If I can open it enough to get out I'm through it.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:16 pm

bgm wrote:
jayunited wrote:
bgm wrote:
Don’t forget in the US, they have the added bonus of allowing people to put their luggage under the seats at over wing emergency exits. No other country permits this.


You made this same declaration in a thread in 2013 posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=21497375. Here in the U.S. since 2013 we've had quite a few emergency evacuations all without issue.

So while passengers are allowed to place an item underneath the seat in front of them in the emergency exit row the aisle or passageway between those seats still must be clear. Your carry on bag is not allowed to block the exit row it must be able to fit fully underneath the seat or FA's are supposed to place it in the overhead bin. On UA I've seen FA's make sure they check floor and if a customers bag is partially protruding into the passageway between the 2 rows ask or demand the passenger put their bag in the overhead bin.

The greatest threat to a successful emergency exit isn't a passengers bag underneath the seat in front of them or the location of seats in the emergency exit the greatest threat to a successful emergency exit is passengers grabbing their bags out of the over head bins and sliding down evacuation slides with their bags in tote. It doesn't matter what the airline is in almost every emergency evacuation their is a large number of passengers who evacuate with their carry on bags that is what slows down an evacuation and could cost people their lives.


Isn’t it odd that the rest of the world requires the emergency exits be kept clear but the US doesn’t? Kinda like how the FAA was the last agency to ground the MAX. You do realize that in an emergency landing bags will be tossed about as the plane may be subjected to some serious Gs. Do you honestly think those bags that pax put under the seats will remain there?

Do physics work differently in the US?


Also, US carriers allow window shades to remain closed during take off and landing. Is it safe in the U.S., but dangerous elsewhere?
 
DDR
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Polot wrote:
Did the ventral stairs on the 727 even count as an emergency exit in terms of the number of seats you were allowed to put in? It’s not like the DC-9/MD-80 where you had the ability to blast out the tail cone and exit through it.


Hey Polot, at AA the aft stairs were considered an emergency exit "which can be operated by a crew member" or something like that. It's been many years since I worked a 727. They were great planes from a crew perspective.
 
twicearound
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:10 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
This may be interesting for the youth here.
Not entirely sure about the answer to the airstair or tail-cone slide. Sorry about that.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TAndXzhgurI


We get it, you're old.
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:27 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Also, US carriers allow window shades to remain closed during take off and landing. Is it safe in the U.S., but dangerous elsewhere?

We had not heard that rant from you in a while; feels good to let it out???
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7299
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 am

As a passenger who often sits in the 2L/R exit row on the DL A321 in row 13, there sure seems to be a lot of room for egress compared to what is more typical in overwing exit rows on other aircraft. The way the seat protrudes and how the door appears to open outward seem to make it a non-issue. There is a lot of room between the seats, compared to exit rows on on aircraft like the 739ER, 717, MD90, MD-88, A319/A320 with their overwing exits that also have smaller openings.

The aircraft that concern me the most in a potential evac situation are CR2/CR7/CR9, particularly for anyone seating in the rear of the aircraft. The potential for bottlenecking, confusion, and too many passengers trying to use the overwing exits seems like it could occur in a real-life scenario.
 
KlimaBXsst
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:53 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
As a passenger who often sits in the 2L/R exit row on the DL A321 in row 13, there sure seems to be a lot of room for egress compared to what is more typical in overwing exit rows on other aircraft. The way the seat protrudes and how the door appears to open outward seem to make it a non-issue. There is a lot of room between the seats, compared to exit rows on on aircraft like the 739ER, 717, MD90, MD-88, A319/A320 with their overwing exits that also have smaller openings.

The aircraft that concern me the most in a potential evac situation are CR2/CR7/CR9, particularly for anyone seating in the rear of the aircraft. The potential for bottlenecking, confusion, and too many passengers trying to use the overwing exits seems like it could occur in a real-life scenario.


Burning Barbies due to a lack of egress is never a pretty sight.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!
 
User avatar
jetjack74
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:35 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:27 am

tsbooker wrote:
Last night I was traveling on a DL A321, and noticed that at door 2L and 2R the seats in the row in front of the exit (I believe row 12) were partially blocking the door. The back of the seat came to approximately the window of the exit door, roughly covering 1/3 of the door and exit. How is this legal? I was under the impression that all exits had to have full unobstructed entry/exit in case of emergency. Thanks in advance.

For us flight crews, it’s a thorn in our side because we be using 2L as a 2nd boarding door. We have that on our 757, but its at 2R. But on the 321, we need that 2L do for ease of boarding.
Made from jets!
 
n7371f
Posts: 1559
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:02 am

A321's are almost universally not boarded at 2L due to the proximity of the engine to the jet bridge and greater potential for a collision. But, yes, given the layouts that also protrudes boarding from 2L. Not sure if that would be the case if the boarding ceased at 2L due to the engine proximity issue.

jetjack74 wrote:
tsbooker wrote:
Last night I was traveling on a DL A321, and noticed that at door 2L and 2R the seats in the row in front of the exit (I believe row 12) were partially blocking the door. The back of the seat came to approximately the window of the exit door, roughly covering 1/3 of the door and exit. How is this legal? I was under the impression that all exits had to have full unobstructed entry/exit in case of emergency. Thanks in advance.

For us flight crews, it’s a thorn in our side because we be using 2L as a 2nd boarding door. We have that on our 757, but its at 2R. But on the 321, we need that 2L do for ease of boarding.
 
ME720
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am

n7371f wrote:
A321's are almost universally not boarded at 2L due to the proximity of the engine to the jet bridge and greater potential for a collision. But, yes, given the layouts that also protrudes boarding from 2L. Not sure if that would be the case if the boarding ceased at 2L due to the engine proximity issue.

jetjack74 wrote:
tsbooker wrote:
Last night I was traveling on a DL A321, and noticed that at door 2L and 2R the seats in the row in front of the exit (I believe row 12) were partially blocking the door. The back of the seat came to approximately the window of the exit door, roughly covering 1/3 of the door and exit. How is this legal? I was under the impression that all exits had to have full unobstructed entry/exit in case of emergency. Thanks in advance.

For us flight crews, it’s a thorn in our side because we be using 2L as a 2nd boarding door. We have that on our 757, but its at 2R. But on the 321, we need that 2L do for ease of boarding.


If i’m Not mistaken, 2L-2R have been eliminated from the A321 Neo. Or was it LR?
 
ewt340
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Interestingly enough, if you see at the LOPAS Airbus provided for their A321 file. It look like the seats are covering half of the exit door. 2L/2R alongside 3L/3R labeled as Emergency exit instead of Passengers Doors. So I guess they are treated similarly to Emergency Windows.

Image

https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corporate-topics/publications/backgrounders/techdata/aircraft_characteristics/Airbus-Commercial-Aircraft-AC-A321.pdf
 
D L X
Posts: 12472
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:56 pm

So is there a picture of the offending door seat in this case?
 
StinkyPinky
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:12 pm

D L X wrote:
So is there a picture of the offending door seat in this case?


http://imgur.com/gallery/Cj3FzET
 
D L X
Posts: 12472
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:37 pm

StinkyPinky wrote:
D L X wrote:
So is there a picture of the offending door seat in this case?


http://imgur.com/gallery/Cj3FzET

LOL!

Okay, I see the problem now. :)
 
n7371f
Posts: 1559
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:21 am

Permanently sealing door 2L is an option on SpaceFlex 321 or 321N - depending on layout and seat count.

ME720 wrote:
n7371f wrote:
A321's are almost universally not boarded at 2L due to the proximity of the engine to the jet bridge and greater potential for a collision. But, yes, given the layouts that also protrudes boarding from 2L. Not sure if that would be the case if the boarding ceased at 2L due to the engine proximity issue.

jetjack74 wrote:

For us flight crews, it’s a thorn in our side because we be using 2L as a 2nd boarding door. We have that on our 757, but its at 2R. But on the 321, we need that 2L do for ease of boarding.


If i’m Not mistaken, 2L-2R have been eliminated from the A321 Neo. Or was it LR?
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4500
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:35 am

All makes perfect sense until the inevitable incident where someone is burned alive as a result.
We don’t learn.
 
Amiga500
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:22 am

Re: DL A321 Seats Blocking Exit Door

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:12 am

skipness1E wrote:
All makes perfect sense until the inevitable incident where someone is burned alive as a result.
We don’t learn.


Ah... but the quarterly profits were up 0.00001% for 5 years because of it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos