CRJ200flyer
Topic Author

Delta Benefits from MAX Groundings

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:48 pm

http://m.atwonline.com/airlines/analyst-delta-sees-revenue-capacity-gains-max-grounding

“Delta has benefited from customer spillover from competitors and partners being impacted by the grounding of the aircraft,” Becker wrote. “Despite Delta’s higher growth, underlying industry capacity growth remains lower than initially expected, which is driving higher load factors and higher average ticket prices.”

72 MAXs from other US carriers are now grounded.

Do you see any long term benefit for Delta, or will the results disappear upon the MAX return?
If the grounding continues for several more months as expected, how do you think the industry will handle around 100 aircraft arriving back into service?

tkoenig95

Re: Delta Benefits from MAX Groundings

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:50 pm

They are probably picking up some of AM's slack on the industry-focused routes. IIRC, DTW-MTY is going to be reduced in the fall due to the MAX grounding and aircraft charades.

crjflyboy

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
http://m.atwonline.com/airlines/analyst-delta-sees-revenue-capacity-gains-max-grounding

“Delta has benefited from customer spillover from competitors and partners being impacted by the grounding of the aircraft,” Becker wrote. “Despite Delta’s higher growth, underlying industry capacity growth remains lower than initially expected, which is driving higher load factors and higher average ticket prices.”

Do you see any long term benefit for Delta, or will the results disappear upon the MAX return?
If the grounding continues for several more months as expected, how do you think the industry will handle around 100 aircraft arriving back into service?

The public does not want to fly on the MAX anymore.

DELTA is in the catbirds seat right now and will reap the benefits for a long time.

cledaybuck

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 am

crjflyboy wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

DELTA is in the catbirds seat right now and will reap the benefits for a long time.

That’s not what the article is saying.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

TTailedTiger

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:24 am

crjflyboy wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'd love a seat on one of the first flights back in the air but the travel personalities and influencers will probably pack them out. Especially since the airline executives will be on them.

crjflyboy

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:32 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'd love a seat on one of the first flights back in the air but the travel personalities and influencers will probably pack them out. Especially since the airline executives will be on them.

I'm not the only one stating it

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... like-taint

Etheereal

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:41 am

crjflyboy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

And im not the only one saying i'd fly in the MAX as soon as it's ungrounded, but no clue when AM will take them back to BOG.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

Revelation

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:07 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:

I've seen one article from AvWeek ( https://atwonline.com/airlines/analysts ... acity-2020 was once free but now behind paywall ) suggesting it will just amplify the overcapacity that is almost certain to hit in 2020.

European airlines face a worsening capacity glut in 2020 as narrowbody deliveries, already approaching record numbers, are boosted by late deliveries of Boeing 737 MAXs, analysts warn. “The flood of planes is in full swing in Europe as narrowbody deliveries are set to reach record highs in 2020,” Bernstein Research analyst Daniel Roeska wrote in a July 1 report. European airlines are scheduled to take delivery of about 300 narrowbodies this year, rising to 400 in 2020.

One other article from AirCurrent ( https://theaircurrent.com/aircraft-prod ... lack-swan/ ) is also pretty gloomy:

A crisis of confidence after the crashes of Lion Air 610 and Ethiopian Airlines 302, an uncertain resolution to the jet’s grounding and a market bulging with airplanes. Now supplier, leasing and airline executives from around the world are expressing concern that the grounding of the 737 Max is the ‘black swan’ event — the exogenous shock — that will accelerate a cyclical downturn that was already here, as airlines who bought too many planes take cover under its wing.

And:

In 2018, signs of oversupply are increasing. According to IATA global capacity of available seats grew at 6.1% in December — demand trailed at 5.3% as load factors and yields fell. In the domestic markets in the U.S, China and India, packed with new 737 Max and A320neo aircraft, where capacity is growing “much faster than demand,” according to Slattery.

So DL and others must be careful to recognize whatever gains they get from the 737 grounding as a windfall, but the Air Current article voices concerns that they are not.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

lightsaber

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:49 am

Revelation wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

I've seen one article from AvWeek ( https://atwonline.com/airlines/analysts ... acity-2020 was once free but now behind paywall ) suggesting it will just amplify the overcapacity that is almost certain to hit in 2020.

European airlines face a worsening capacity glut in 2020 as narrowbody deliveries, already approaching record numbers, are boosted by late deliveries of Boeing 737 MAXs, analysts warn. “The flood of planes is in full swing in Europe as narrowbody deliveries are set to reach record highs in 2020,” Bernstein Research analyst Daniel Roeska wrote in a July 1 report. European airlines are scheduled to take delivery of about 300 narrowbodies this year, rising to 400 in 2020.

One other article from AirCurrent ( https://theaircurrent.com/aircraft-prod ... lack-swan/ ) is also pretty gloomy:

A crisis of confidence after the crashes of Lion Air 610 and Ethiopian Airlines 302, an uncertain resolution to the jet’s grounding and a market bulging with airplanes. Now supplier, leasing and airline executives from around the world are expressing concern that the grounding of the 737 Max is the ‘black swan’ event — the exogenous shock — that will accelerate a cyclical downturn that was already here, as airlines who bought too many planes take cover under its wing.

And:

In 2018, signs of oversupply are increasing. According to IATA global capacity of available seats grew at 6.1% in December — demand trailed at 5.3% as load factors and yields fell. In the domestic markets in the U.S, China and India, packed with new 737 Max and A320neo aircraft, where capacity is growing “much faster than demand,” according to Slattery.

So DL and others must be careful to recognize whatever gains they get from the 737 grounding as a windfall, but the Air Current article voices concerns that they are not.

Unfortunately, I also believe we are going into oversupply once the MAX deliveries return.

Some of the shock will be absorbed by old aircraft retirements (MD-80, A319s). But so many new narrowbody aircraft are pursuing too few new customers.

DL has an easy capacity reduction option (replace MD-80s/90s) although higher utilization drives up capacity.

But as of now fares are elevated.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

LDRA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 am

Well, Delta has not started taking delivery of A321NEO right? So how does Delta benefit? WN, AA and UA can always lease extra NG or CEO

SocalApproach

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:59 am

crjflyboy wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

I can tell I don't want to fly on the MAX because even though they are grounded I still for some reason double checked my aircraft type on my last flight I booked on UA a few weeks ago

crjflyboy

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 am

Delta upgrading their inflight service.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... yptr=yahoo

StuckInCA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 am

crjflyboy wrote:
Delta upgrading their inflight service.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... yptr=yahoo

Actually a downgrade from a full beverage service if I'm not mistaken. And, as that is for international flights, not that relevant to the conversation.

Sooner787

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 am

Delta like Airbus are mature enough not to be scoreboarding Boeing or any US carriers
over safety issues. They attitude should be and appears to be " But by the grace of God go I "

I have high confidence Boeing will make the MAX family the safest airliners in the skies.
and if I'm Airbus, I'm studying the fixes the regulatory authorities mandate and triple check
my family of airliners to see if there is anything that they could add to their planes to increase safety

flee

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:48 am

If the overcapacity takes place in 2020, won't this accelerate the retirement of less efficient aircraft?

With new generation A320 Neos and B737Maxs, airlines can improve the flying experience and/or cut air fares to stimulate demand. Or is this downturn just a normal boom-bust cycle in the industry?

chiad

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:46 am

Etheereal wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

And im not the only one saying i'd fly in the MAX as soon as it's ungrounded, but no clue when AM will take them back to BOG.

If there's a choice I will wait a couple of years after the ungrounding before I choose a MAX flight.
But if there's no choice I'll still go with the MAX.

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:

This is planespotters.net's frame count for U.S. carriers, excluding regionals:

AA, 965
DL, 917
UA, 783
WN, 754
AS, 328
B6, 254
Spirit, 135
Allegiant, 90
Frontier, 90
Hawaiian, 57

Total, 4373, plus about 1,500 regional jets

Look at that and argue that 72 MAXs is a meaningful loss of domestic capacity across the industry. It's nothing. Delta is making money because Delta has an efficient, reliable operation and makes money every quarter (that it isn't losing $Billions in mark-to-market fuel hedge write-downs, anyway).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos