Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

77H
Topic Author

UA’s New Tourist Centric Int’l Routes

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:13 am

Over the last year we have seen UA launch or announce routes to PPT, OPO, NAP, CPT and possibly SVQ.

Remembering back to the EWR-CPT thread, many here were surprised at this add given the limited business ties between the US and SA. Many noted that it’s seasonality seemed to be more related to capturing the tourism market. Which got me thinking about other markets like PPT and some of the new Europe adds.

All of these markets seem to be targeting tourism, or VFR demand rather than an capture business traffic which is the traditional MO of most legacy carriers. While UA and most legacies fly to leisure destinations, they’re generally not long haul destinations which many of these new adds are. And currently, UA seems to be the leader with this type of long haul leisure focused flying, at least amongst the US legacies.

Is this trend likely to continue? What are possible reasons for the diversion from traditional market adds anchored by business traffic? What are possible threats to this trend? Will we see this AA and DL follow suit ?

77H

MAH4546

Re: UA’s New Tourist Centric Int’l Routes

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:25 am

What do you mean by seeing AA and DL follow suit? If anything, this is UA catching up with them. AA has added markets like Córdoba, Budapest, Prague, Dubrovnik, Berlin, Bologna, Dallas-Dublin, Chicago-Athens and now flies to virtually every jet capable runway in the Caribbean sans Tobago. Delta has always had a diverse European networks and is now flying new routes like Ponta Delgada, Boston-Edinburgh, Tampa-Amsterdam and Boston-Lisbon

Americans are wealthier than ever and traveling internationally in far greater numbers than ever before. A strong dollar and weak foreign economies, and thereby weaker currencies, is stimulating tourism to these places, along with intense trans-Atlantic competition driving down airfares.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
a.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 am

By long haul I assume you mean ~12-14 hour range as AA have launched DBV, and DL have flown to AGP (and previously PSA) for years. While CO had quite a large network to secondary European cities, UA are arguably late to this market of serving destinations for US outbound tourists.

The nature of routes like PPT and CPT is they attract wealthy people with money to spend. While they are not serving the corporate market, filling the front cabin isn't a challenge on these sorts of routes.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm

77H wrote:
Is this trend likely to continue? What are possible reasons for the diversion from traditional market adds anchored by business traffic? What are possible threats to this trend? Will we see this AA and DL follow suit ?

77H

You're years late in identifying the trend. DL's JFK-Pisa (since axed), JFK-PDL and JFK-Malaga, along with AA's seasonal services to Prague, Dubrovnik, and Bologna and anything to KEF certainly aren't about business demand.

Among risks, premium cabins won't be filled with paying passengers (leaving PRASM well below targeted levels) and fuel price spikes hitting all long-haul services.

adamblang

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 pm

77H wrote:
What are possible reasons for the diversion from traditional market adds anchored by business traffic?

1) A wealthy tourist's dollar is just as valuable as a business person's.
2) MileagePlus is only valuable if there are redemption destinations people want to fly to.

Pyrex

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Not sure OPO fits in that list - there is a lot of industry in the North of Portugal (enough for a 757 with multiple onward connections at EWR, anyway), and a lot of VFR (most of the Portuguese community in and around the Newark area is from the North of Portugal, and arguably better served through OPO than LIS). TP flies OPO-EWR year-round (increasing frequencies now that they have the A321LR).

The summer IAD-LIS is arguably more tourist-centric than EWR-OPO.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

yulexpansion

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Looks like their upcoming EWR-SVQ fits the "tourist-centric" description well. Wonder how the speculated economic downturn will affect these types of routes for UA

Weatherwatcher1

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:20 pm

We are seeing the impact of a strong US economy. This is pushing up fares and demand for economy class. These leisure routes are based on economy class demand being profitable. 5-10 years ago, United needed strong business class demand to justify a route. UA has always had the largest premium cabins (with the exception of Transatlantic 757s), so their threshold for leisure routes was higher.

If a recession hits the US economy, these leisure routes will disappear quickly

dlflynhayn

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:24 pm

When does there PPT Flight start? haven't heard of any american carriers flying from the U.S. to PPT other than HA from HNL.

Ishrion

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm

dlflynhayn wrote:
When does there PPT Flight start? haven't heard of any american carriers flying from the U.S. to PPT other than HA from HNL.

The route started on October 30, 2018.

stl07

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:37 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

You're years late in identifying the trend. DL's JFK-Pisa (since axed), JFK-PDL and JFK-Malaga, along with AA's seasonal services to Prague, Dubrovnik, and Bologna and anything to KEF certainly aren't about business demand.

Among risks, premium cabins won't be filled with paying passengers (leaving PRASM well below targeted levels) and fuel price spikes hitting all long-haul services.

I wouldn't say years late like this is something going on for the past decade or two, the trend is still relatively new
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Interesting how when all these flights were being launched, all the comments were leisure=low fare=bottem barrel yield=these routes won't last, but now all the comments have flipped to "these routes chase high yielding leisure travelers"
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

airbazar

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:53 pm

stl07 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

I wouldn't say years late like this is something going on for the past decade or two, the trend is still relatively new

I'd say it's being resumed as much as it is a new trend. Decades ago U.S. airlines served a lot of secondary European cities. A lot of those routes were dropped over the decades, either due to deregulation, when fuel prices sky rocketed, or an economic recession. In addition we had multiple now defunct European airlines flying TATL, like TAROM, Czech, Sabena, Olympic, Malev, etc. The TATL market has gone through a few decades of consolidation and re-structuring and now it's expanding again.

VC10er

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm

I’ve got Dubrovnik at the top of my “NEXT” list. A non stop would be AWESOME. However when I did check UA.com the 1 stop options were not just convenient- (or fine) but shockingly plentiful options.
Yes- I would take AA’s nonstop, but as I am somewhat trapped on United or Star Alliance, my MP bank account is so full that it doesn’t make sense.
The best part of being a road warrior is all the paid business travel all over the world means a free trip in business or first once or twice a year, on UA or Lufthansa or many other decent Star carriers.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

ArchGuy1

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:56 pm

United should launch flights from Newark and Chicago O Hare to Cairo, Egypt as the situation in Egypt has stabilized and tourists are coming back to Egypt in large numbers. It should also provide competition for EgyptAir's flights from Cairo to New York JFK.

hereandthere41

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
United should launch flights from Newark and Chicago O Hare to Cairo, Egypt as the situation in Egypt has stabilized and tourists are coming back to Egypt in large numbers. It should also provide competition for EgyptAir's flights from Cairo to New York JFK.

BA's CAI flights are still canceled and LH just resumed theirs. I wouldn't call that a region that is stabilized. I don't thing CAI is in the cards anytime soon for UA.

9w748capt

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

You sure? BA has suspended CAI service at this time. Temporary, but they've still suspended it for now. I'm sure Egypt is better off but I have a hard time envisioning a US carrier starting service there.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:49 am

9w748capt wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

You sure? BA has suspended CAI service at this time. Temporary, but they've still suspended it for now. I'm sure Egypt is better off but I have a hard time envisioning a US carrier starting service there.

EgyptAir is launched fights from Cairo to Washington Dulles last month, partly because of the recovery in tourist numbers in Egypt.

catiii

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:10 am

stl07 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

Eh, DL started that kind of flying back in 2008. It’s been around a decade.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:33 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

They wouldn’t fly from ORD to CAI, only EWR if they decided to do it (which they won’t).
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:40 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

They wouldn’t fly from ORD to CAI, only EWR if they decided to do it (which they won’t).

Delta had flights from New York JFK to Cairo until the Revolution in 2011 so I could see United launching flights from Newark to Cairo in a year or so.

Ionosphere

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 am

DL flew JFK-CAI from about 2008 to 2011 on the 763. TWA also flew JFK-CAI-RUH right up until 9/11 on the 763.

eamondzhang

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:07 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Delta had flights from New York JFK to Cairo until the Revolution in 2011 so I could see United launching flights from Newark to Cairo in a year or so.

Past performance is never an indicator of future performance especially with Egypt's security is still questionable. US3 is known to be very conservative when it comes to security after 9/11.

I personally don't see any of the US3 going to East Africa anytime soon.

Michael

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:27 am

Ionosphere wrote:
DL flew JFK-CAI from about 2008 to 2011 on the 763. TWA also flew JFK-CAI-RUH right up until 9/11 on the 763.

What airport is RUH.

Ionosphere

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:30 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

What airport is RUH.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:43 am

Ionosphere wrote:

What was performance on Delta's flights from New York JFK to Cairo like between 2008 and 2011.

CALMSP

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:50 am

I think NCE will join the network next year as seasonal.

Ionosphere

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:57 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

What was performance on Delta's flights from New York JFK to Cairo like between 2008 and 2011.

DL had flew the route for three years. It was only dropped because of the Arab Spring. It must have been doing ok to have lasted that long. CO had announced EWR-CAI on the 772 to start later in 2011. That flight never operated because of the Arab Spring.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 am

Ionosphere wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

DL had flew the route for three years. It was only dropped because of the Arab Spring. It must have been doing ok to have lasted that long. CO had announced EWR-CAI on the 772 to start later in 2011. That flight never operated because of the Arab Spring.

How long were EgyptAir's flights between New York JFK and Cairo suspended, because I know that they were operating the route not long after the 2011 Revolution.
Last edited by ArchGuy1 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmstorm22

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:02 am

Ionosphere wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

I have no skin in the game but I hope either DL or UA starts this route.

Went to Egypt for vacation last year. We had a great time, specifically on the Nile cruise.

Heard from so many of the local shop owners and guides how they've more or less recovered tourism from all non-English (mainly UK and US) countries, like France, Spain, Italy, others. It's a beautiful country with incredible history and its sad the English speaking countries are (to be fair maybe justifiably) a bit more hesitant.

intotheair

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:19 am

UA is not going to start CAI anytime soon. There are plenty of higher-yielding, lower risk destinations to throw a plane at.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:23 am

intotheair wrote:
UA is not going to start CAI anytime soon. There are plenty of higher-yielding, lower risk destinations to throw a plane at.

Delta might resume JFK to Cairo in the next year or so.

asuflyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:24 am

CO was supposed to start CAI from EWR but never did. I think you are more likely to see UA in IST than CAI and I wouldn't count on either. OPO and NAP are also strong VFR markets. There is a large Portuguese population in Newark as well as business ties. NAP was previously served by IG from JFK for over 10 years again a strong VFR route, it's new to United but not a new market to NYC.

I think other possible VFR/tourist routes UA might add:
EWR-PMO
EWR-NCE
EWR-BOD
EWR-VIE (although OS)
EWR/ORD-KRK/RZE
EWR-GYE

klwright69

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Um nope. UA has tried IST.

UAL777UK

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:13 pm

CO used to fly to BRS. I wonder if UA would ever go back there? I flew it a couple of times into EWR and it was always packed although I accept bums on seats does not translate to good yields. The south west has one hell of a trek up to LHR/LGW to get across the pond with a direct flight. Just a thought.

emuwarveteran

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:22 pm

asuflyer wrote:
CO was supposed to start CAI from EWR but never did. I think you are more likely to see UA in IST than CAI and I wouldn't count on either. OPO and NAP are also strong VFR markets. There is a large Portuguese population in Newark as well as business ties. NAP was previously served by IG from JFK for over 10 years again a strong VFR route, it's new to United but not a new market to NYC.

EWR-PMO
EWR-NCE
EWR-BOD
EWR-VIE (although OS)
EWR/ORD-KRK/RZE
EWR-GYE

RZE would be pointless, LO already flies from there to EWR and it's enough for the VFR / company (Pratt & Whitney) demand. WAW and KRK would be better, there is a lot of unserved demand from that and these routes also have a lot of business traffic with the influx of American companies in Poland.
CL CRJ9, W6 A320

catiii

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:02 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Delta might resume JFK to Cairo in the next year or so.

According to what exactly?

Cointrin330

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am

asuflyer wrote:

EWR-PMO
EWR-NCE
EWR-BOD
EWR-VIE (although OS)
EWR/ORD-KRK/RZE
EWR-GYE

No need for UA to fly EWR-VIE. They have Star Alliance member OS on it. Don't see KRK or RZE or even WAW frankly. LOT is in Star and flies these routes. EWR-IST was tried in 2013 and dropped. TK is starting this route in August so again, no need for UA to fly it.

Schweigend

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:49 am

hereandthere41 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

BA's CAI flights are still canceled and LH just resumed theirs. I wouldn't call that a region that is stabilized. I don't thing CAI is in the cards anytime soon for UA.

According to the BBC, BA will resume flights to CAI on 26 Jul --

British Airways will resume flights to Cairo on Friday after services to the Egyptian city were suspended for a week because of security concerns.

In a statement, the airline said it had "reviewed security arrangements" and would restart flights.

No further detail was provided on the nature of the security issue.

German airline Lufthansa also cancelled flights to Cairo on Saturday but resumed services one day later.

On 20 July, British Airways said it would halt flights to Cairo for seven days. It now plans to resume services on Friday.

"Following a thorough assessment of the security arrangements, we are pleased that our service to and from Cairo will resume from... 26 July", the airline said.

British Airways currently runs one flight from Heathrow to Cairo and back again per day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49122845

While I don't think CAI is high on UA's list of new destinations, I can imagine them flying EWR-CAI within the next five years.

grbauc

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:59 am

stl07 wrote:
Interesting how when all these flights were being launched, all the comments were leisure=low fare=bottem barrel yield=these routes won't last, but now all the comments have flipped to "these routes chase high yielding leisure travelers"

We, People, Anet whatever Loves to generalize and Label. One shore doesn't fit all and trends change. The real world is not black and white right or wrong but rather shades of grey and mixes of and degrees of truth.

9w748capt

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:41 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

What airport is RUH.

Literally takes 5 seconds to do a google search for this.

grbauc

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:41 am

Schweigend wrote:
hereandthere41 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

According to the BBC, BA will resume flights to CAI on 26 Jul --

British Airways will resume flights to Cairo on Friday after services to the Egyptian city were suspended for a week because of security concerns.

In a statement, the airline said it had "reviewed security arrangements" and would restart flights.

No further detail was provided on the nature of the security issue.

German airline Lufthansa also cancelled flights to Cairo on Saturday but resumed services one day later.

On 20 July, British Airways said it would halt flights to Cairo for seven days. It now plans to resume services on Friday.

"Following a thorough assessment of the security arrangements, we are pleased that our service to and from Cairo will resume from... 26 July", the airline said.

British Airways currently runs one flight from Heathrow to Cairo and back again per day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49122845

While I don't think CAI is high on UA's list of new destinations, I can imagine them flying EWR-CAI within the next five years.

Im suprised BA stopped service I know of the concerns. Maybe because there are many options and direct flights to Egypt even the med sized coastal cities for dive trips direct from EU. When I connect tru the EU I look for WB service int to CAI. Its getting harder.

YYZflyboy

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:03 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Can connect via Toronto on MS996 as well, taking advantage of AC's strong network of US destinations, as well as many flights from LGA, EWR, and ORD between UA and AC.

stl07

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:25 am

9w748capt wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

What airport is RUH.

and also 5 seconds to tell him what it is and 0 to not respond like the rest of us

9w748capt

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 pm

stl07 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
What airport is RUH.

and also 5 seconds to tell him what it is and 0 to not respond like the rest of us

Yet you responded to my post, lmao

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Tampa-Amsterdam

Which is actually more aimed at Europeans visiting Tampa than Americans visiting Amsterdam. Lots of Europeans go on holiday to Florida and Tampa is no exception.

By the way, I'm surprised United doesn't fly to Copenhagen. It's a very touristic city and has a good business demand as well. Sure SAS serves a lot of their bases but from what I've heard United and SAS aren't really close. Copenhagen is badly served by American carriers anyway, only Delta has a seasonal flight to New York JFK. Just like United, American doesn't fly to Copenhagen either.

jasoncrh

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:17 pm

United ditched Copenhagen several years ago. The fact that they've flown there and discontinued it, as have the other US carriers, should tell you something about the route's profitability. Never say that it couldnt come back, but that's a big hurdle.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Tampa-Amsterdam

Which is actually more aimed at Europeans visiting Tampa than Americans visiting Amsterdam. Lots of Europeans go on holiday to Florida and Tampa is no exception.

By the way, I'm surprised United doesn't fly to Copenhagen. It's a very touristic city and has a good business demand as well. Sure SAS serves a lot of their bases but from what I've heard United and SAS aren't really close. Copenhagen is badly served by American carriers anyway, only Delta has a seasonal flight to New York JFK. Just like United, American doesn't fly to Copenhagen either.

stl07

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:18 pm

9w748capt wrote:
stl07 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Yet you responded to my post, lmao

Ok? Your point?

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:25 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
CO used to fly to BRS. I wonder if UA would ever go back there? I flew it a couple of times into EWR and it was always packed although I accept bums on seats does not translate to good yields. The south west has one hell of a trek up to LHR/LGW to get across the pond with a direct flight. Just a thought.

Problem could be that Bristol isn't exactly a tourist hotspot. It's just an ordinary city and sure it has a few sights, but nothing out of the ordinary. Then I'd say Newcastle is more touristic than Bristol, yet Newcastle airport doesn't see any service on American carriers either.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Not sure OPO fits in that list - there is a lot of industry in the North of Portugal (enough for a 757 with multiple onward connections at EWR, anyway), and a lot of VFR (most of the Portuguese community in and around the Newark area is from the North of Portugal, and arguably better served through OPO than LIS). TP flies OPO-EWR year-round (increasing frequencies now that they have the A321LR).

The summer IAD-LIS is arguably more tourist-centric than EWR-OPO.

Don't underestimate tourism in Porto, it's a hotspot. A beautiful ancient city where everything is about making their most famous drink: Port. As a matter of fact I'm not quite sure which city in Portugal gets more tourists, Lisbon or Porto.

Talking of drinks, it's quite surprising that none of the American carriers serves the wine capital of the world: Bordeaux. All tourism to France seems to be heavily concentrated on Paris which is unjustified as the rest of France has so much to offer that Paris doesn't have.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos