Iemand91
Topic Author

Currently flying: fastest circumnavigation of the earth via both poles

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:38 pm

One More Orbit is a multinational attempt to break the world record for the fastest circumnavigation of the earth via both poles, in a Qatar Executive Gulfstream G650ER ultra long-range business jet.

The record is being attempted during the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Apollo 11 moon landing, as a tribute to the past, present, and future of space exploration.

The team will launch the record attempt from, and return for the finish to, Space Florida's Launch and Landing Facility (the former Shuttle Landing Facility) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, from where Apollo 11 launched their historic mission 50 years ago. The mission will start at 09:32 EDT – the same time as Apollo 11.

The speed record will be certified by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) and GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™.

http://onemoreorbit.com/

Flight is trackable on Flightradar24: https://www.flightradar24.com/QQE011/2136ec16
They also have a live feed from within the Gulfstream on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5QkzQ ... 8DVJg/live

Planned route:
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

PhilMcCrackin

Re: Currently flying: fastest circumnavigation of the earth via both poles

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:44 pm

I'm curious what the F/As are needed for?

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Feed the pilots

BlueberryWheats

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Ballast :lol:

kjeld0d

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Iemand91 wrote:
in a Qatar Executive Gulfstream G650ER

Its safe to assume they are the sponsor? I hope they have made rescue arrangements all along the route. Would the antarctic portion require any special approvals?

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm

It’s been done before, several times. Not a big deal. Antarctica is considered “international” airspace.

DocLightning

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:25 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:

This will be a two-day trip with four flight crew aboard. Stops at each airport are limited to 45 minutes. The crew must be fed during this time and it would be...inconvenient...to have any of them get food poisoning during the flight, so someone must be aboard with appropriate training in safe commercial food handling and disposal. Pilots are trained in many things, but food handling isn't one of them. Presumably, food will be boarded at at least one of the stops along the way and the pilots will probably be busy with other matters so the F/A can coordinate disposal and catering.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BravoOne

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 pm

I believe the 650 requires at least one FA for dispatch. (FAA)

cschleic

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 pm

Interesting. Flightradar shows it approaching northern Russia. Bummer, the youtube feed is out because it's out of satellite range. But it's satellite so shouldn't it.....

PhilMcCrackin

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 pm

DocLightning wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

This will be a two-day trip with four flight crew aboard. Stops at each airport are limited to 45 minutes. The crew must be fed during this time and it would be...inconvenient...to have any of them get food poisoning during the flight, so someone must be aboard with appropriate training in safe commercial food handling and disposal. Pilots are trained in many things, but food handling isn't one of them. Presumably, food will be boarded at at least one of the stops along the way and the pilots will probably be busy with other matters so the F/A can coordinate disposal and catering.

That's funny - the cargo guys seem to be able to manage to feed themselves just fine.

DocLightning

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:47 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
That's funny - the cargo guys seem to be able to manage to feed themselves just fine.

Not for 48 straight hours they don't.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Cubsrule

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:51 pm

I realize this flight likely doesn’t implicate ETOPS directly, but how from an alternate will they be on the MRU-PUQ leg?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 pm

I think there’s a maximum number of passengers before a flight attendant is required. It has to do with the windows as the emergency exits and their size restricting the evacuation process.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
I realize this flight likely doesn’t implicate ETOPS directly, but how from an alternate will they be on the MRU-PUQ leg?

They’ll be 3 or 4 hours beyond 240 minutes! Yikes!

GF

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I think there’s a maximum number of passengers before a flight attendant is required. It has to do with the windows as the emergency exits and their size restricting the evacuation process.

But this flight is not a commercial flight, not on board a "traditional" airliner and has no passenger (just crew).

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:57 pm

It’s a Part 25 evacuation requirement at certain (I don’t exactly but I believe around 12 pax) number of passengers regardless of operating rules. It’s a type requirement, not a commercial requirement. But, yes, this flight doesn’t require one.

Iemand91
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am

Last leg not that far away from landing: https://www.flightradar24.com/QQE011/213c7b81
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

Ertro

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

I believe it is not even difficult to find some selection of food items that can keep people alive for 48 hours with zero risk of food poisoning.

RJLover

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 pm

DocLightning wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

...so someone must be aboard with appropriate training in safe commercial food handling and disposal. Pilots are trained in many things, but food handling isn't one of them.

I'm quite confident that all four of those gentlemen can handle the Herculean task of preparing some food and throwing out the leftovers, even without "appropriate training".

I'd hazard a guess that they all handle food prep and disposal something like three times a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year.
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YYZ // YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s):

PhilMcCrackin

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 pm

DocLightning wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

Not for 48 straight hours they don't.

I'd wager that 650 has food chillers onboard and I'm sure, you know, they could always rely on dry food if they had to. They're not eating five course meals up there.

tjwgrr

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Ertro wrote:
I believe it is not even difficult to find some selection of food items that can keep people alive for 48 hours with zero risk of food poisoning.

A few loaves of bread, a big jar of peanut butter, some Cheetos, and a couple large bags of M&M's. All good.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

TWA772LR

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
Ertro wrote:

A few loaves of bread, a big jar of peanut butter, some Cheetos, and a couple large bags of M&M's. All good.

Doubt forget beef jerky and sour gummy worms! Prefect road trip food.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Iemand91
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm

They succeeded and apparently broke 3 records:

#OneMoreOrbit team together with @QatarExecutive has made history by beating the world circumnavigation speed record for any aircraft flying over both geographical Poles!

https://twitter.com/One_More_Orbit/stat ... 8307020803

ORLANDO, Fla., July 11 (UPI) -- A team of aviators including retired astronaut Terry Virts landed at Kennedy Space Center Thursday morning, claiming to have set three global flying records for circling the Earth over the North and South poles.

The mission, called One More Orbit, touched down in Florida at 8:12 a.m. EDT, hours ahead of its tentative schedule. Its recorded flight time was 46 hours, 39 minutes, 38 seconds. The average speed was clocked at 534 mph.

That would break the official record for average speed of 511 mph set in 2008, and for total minimum time of just over 54 hours. According to One More Orbit, a third record was set because two women on board, film director Jannicke Mikkelsen and flight attendant Magdalena Starowicz, are apparently the first women to complete a polar circumnavigation of the world.

Officials from the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (World Air Sports Federation) and Guinness World Records are in Florida to verify the records.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019/07 ... 562853645/

kjeld0d

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:54 pm

AAB holding the plaque...

flilot

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Got to keep the old globe theory alive against the rising tide of Flat Earthers I suppose.

BravoOne

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 pm

This is nothing more than a stunt but a good one for avgeeks. Who is the guy in the Gsuit?

n92r03

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm

There was a Star Fighter F-104 chase plane to film the approach and landing. It took off from the Shuttle landing facility this morning and "intercepted" the G650 at around 25k ft. Was pretty cool on FR 24 seeing the ole fighter holding in a circular pattern at 550 MPH. On the One More Orbit twitter feed (or perhaps it was the Captain's) there was something about they had to plan for the intercept over the Atlantic so the chase plane could go supersonic if need be. Some cool pics of the flanking for pics. Pretty badass in my opinion regardless of PR stunt, world records and what not. Just having an F-104 as one's chase plane is strong.

Edit for Twitter handle to pics of "intercept"- https://twitter.com/ActionAviation0

WayexTDI

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:18 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
Ertro wrote:

Do you think the exclusive crew of a G650 will feed on these? They require much more elaborate food than that...

DocLightning

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:42 am

BravoOne wrote:
This is nothing more than a stunt but a good one for avgeeks. Who is the guy in the Gsuit?

That's Akbar Al-Baker, CEO of QR and world-famous loose cannon.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

leghorn

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am

There is probably a blindlingly simple answer to this but why not using the equator with intermittent trade winds rather than pole to pole. pole to pole is only about 100km shorter circumference. was it purely an ETOPS requirement which flying the equator could not satisfy?

flipdewaf

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:33 am

leghorn wrote:
There is probably a blindlingly simple answer to this but why not using the equator with intermittent trade winds rather than pole to pole. pole to pole is only about 100km shorter circumference. was it purely an ETOPS requirement which flying the equator could not satisfy?

It was because the attempt was to go pole to pole rather than around the equator, had they gone around the equator they wouldn't have fulfilled the aim of going via the poles.

Why did they choose the poles route for the record attempt (guesses)?
1. More obscure, less known and attempted so a record was more achievable
2. Working with NASA and celebrating a space thing then it could be seen as more like a 'polar' orbit (a very common way of orbiting)
3. You spend a lot of time in the clear not much traffic airspace so its simpler for navigating.

Fred

m007j

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm

BravoOne wrote:

Terry Virts, and Gennady Padalka is the one in the NASA jumpsuit on the right.

Francoflier

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:18 pm

48 Hours stuck in an ultra-luxurious state-of-the-art twin engine executive jet, with multiple crews, five star catering, the support of a full global airline's dispatch team, cruising the globe at 45,000 ft with GNSS navigation and constant satellite communication with the ground?

I can only wish to be that brave one day...
:duck:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

timz

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Iemand91 wrote:
Its recorded flight time was 46 hours, 39 minutes, 38 seconds.

Flight time was 46-39-38? Or does that time include the fuel stops?

B777LRF

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Francoflier wrote:
48 Hours stuck in an ultra-luxurious state-of-the-art twin engine executive jet, with multiple crews, five star catering, the support of a full global airline's dispatch team, cruising the globe at 45,000 ft with GNSS navigation and constant satellite communication with the ground?

:)

Great effort even so, it takes a fair bit of dosh and commitment for an operation such as QR Executive* to launch such an endeavour, and only to be expected the PD would be there to claim the accolades.

*Was once quoted around 70K USD for a 6-hour flight on a 605 with them. Expensive way to move oneself around.
Signature. You just read one.

redzeppelin

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:42 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
leghorn wrote:

It was because the attempt was to go pole to pole rather than around the equator, had they gone around the equator they wouldn't have fulfilled the aim of going via the poles.

Why did they choose the poles route for the record attempt (guesses)?
1. More obscure, less known and attempted so a record was more achievable
2. Working with NASA and celebrating a space thing then it could be seen as more like a 'polar' orbit (a very common way of orbiting)
3. You spend a lot of time in the clear not much traffic airspace so its simpler for navigating.

Fred

I would add: The polar route may be considered a better indicator of performance for the very reason that the overall effect of winds will be fairly neutral. Just like many athletic and automotive performance records come with requirements that they can't be wind-assisted, or must be on flat ground, etc.
In past years it would also have been considered especially challenging and perhaps more prestigious due to difficulty of navigating near the poles with a magnetic compass.

ParkFSI

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 pm

That’s cool, I would have loved to be on that flight ! Congratulations

Iemand91
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:31 pm

timz wrote:
Iemand91 wrote:
Its recorded flight time was 46 hours, 39 minutes, 38 seconds.

Flight time was 46-39-38? Or does that time include the fuel stops?

Qatar Executive EVP Ettore Rodaro says, “We launched on July 9, 2019 at 9:32 a.m. and landed on July 11, 2019 at 8:12 a.m.

https://www.onemoreorbit.com/news.html

Time between that is indeed 46 hours en 40 minutes so that time includes the fuel stops.

You can see the flight history here: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... d#213c7b81
Fuel stops were:
Astana: 43 minutes
Port Louis: 45 minutes
Punta Arenas: 47 minutes

So *actual* flying time was around 44 hours, 26 minutes.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 pm

m007j wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Still, why the g suit?

m007j

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
m007j wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Still, why the g suit?

My apologies, wrote this without looking close enough at the picture. Both Virts and Padalka have more hair.

The one on the left is Piercarlo Ciacchi, formerly Italian Air Force iirc. He's wearing a G-suit because he was flying the chase F-104 for the photo op. The guy on the right is Rick Svetkoff, he runs the outfit that flies the F104s at the SLF.

DocLightning wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

That's Akbar Al-Baker, CEO of QR and world-famous loose cannon.

No chance in HELL they're giving that guy one of the blue suits, especially not with pilot's wings on it.

Aesma

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 pm

If no woman had flown this route before, it would have been a good idea to include one on the flight crew.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DocLightning

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:06 pm

m007j wrote:
No chance in HELL they're giving that guy one of the blue suits, especially not with pilot's wings on it.

My apologies, I thought it was slang for a business suit
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Gangurru

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 pm

I wonder how many times they saw the sunrise and set on this trip?

timz

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Aesma wrote:
If no woman had flown this route before...

Brooke Knapp did circumpolar in a GIII in... 1983? Not the same route, of course, and more stops.

Iemand91
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Gangurru wrote:

Qatar Executive EVP Ettore Rodaro says, “We launched on July 9, 2019 at 9:32 a.m. and landed on July 11, 2019 at 8:12 a.m.

They had 4 flights:
- Florida departure at 09:32 (July 9) and arriving in Astana at 07:48 (July 10); so 1 sunset (about 8 hours after departure) and 1 sunrise (about 9 hours after departure, 3.5 hours before arrival)
- Astana departure at 08:31 and arriving in Port Louis at 15:13; so nothing.
- Port Louis departure at 15:58 and arriving in Punta Arenas at 21:19, so they had 1 sunset about 1,5 hours after departure from MRU.
- Punta Arenas departure at 22:06 and arriving in Florida at 8:12 (July 11), so they had 1 sunrise about 1 hour before arrival in Florida.

So if I'm correct, they had 2 sunsets, and 2 sunrises.
Last edited by Iemand91 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gangurru

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:28 pm

Iemand91 wrote:
Gangurru wrote:

They had 4 flights:
- Florida departure at 09:32 (July 9) and arriving in Astana at 07:48 (July 10); so 1 sunset (about 8 hours after departure) and 1 sunrise (about 9 hours after departure, 3.5 hours before arrival)
- Astana departure at 08:31 and arriving in Port Louis at 15:13; so nothing.
- Port Louis departure at 15:58 and arriving in Punta Arenas at 21:19, so they had 1 sunset about 1,5 hours after departure from MRU.
- Punta Arenas departure at 22:06 and arriving in Florida at 8:12 (July 11), so they had 1 sunrise about 1 hours before arrival in Florida.

So if I'm correct, they had 2 sunsets, and 2 sunrises.

Thanks. I was wondering if the Florida to Astana flight would have been entirely in day light at this time of year. From your description, it’s likely that proper darkness wouldn’t have been experienced until after Mauritius.

RWA380

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 am

B777LRF wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

:)

Great effort even so, it takes a fair bit of dosh and commitment for an operation such as QR Executive* to launch such an endeavour, and only to be expected the PD would be there to claim the accolades.

*Was once quoted around 70K USD for a 6-hour flight on a 605 with them. Expensive way to move oneself around.

AAB got that smart little certificate to hang on his office wall, so there is that. 8-)
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

RWA380

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:09 am

WayexTDI wrote:
tjwgrr wrote:
Ertro wrote:

Do you think the exclusive crew of a G650 will feed on these? They require much more elaborate food than that...

At least far more nutritious & digestible foods that are a kin to their normal diets. I am sure each crew member has a dietary requirement or two. These ladies will have likely had the hardest job, with multiple pre-made meals catered from a very reliable caterers in each port. They would likely avoid "fresh catch" seafood & use a reputable Michelin rated restaurant for it's meals, unless chillers are stocked upon departure.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

ltbewr

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:29 am

Kinda of a cool record. Like the international crewing with women, although better would have been one of the pilots be a woman. NASA, and especially Qatar got some good public relations attention. Will this plane have a special sign put in the cabin that it was used for a record flight ?

AirKevin

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:45 pm

DocLightning wrote:
m007j wrote:

My apologies, I thought it was slang for a business suit

I almost spit my soda out at my TV and laptop reading this.
Captain Kevin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos