Zoedyn
Topic Author

Rumour: 3rd new airport for Shanghai to be located in Nantong

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:48 am

So, at last, long-time rampant rumors of a 3rd new airport for Shanghai flying on the Chinese Internet now got confirmed to be true.

Per latest reporting by Shanghai Securities Newspaper 规划建设南通新机场,成为上海国际航空枢纽的重要组成部分, China’s National Development and Reform Commission has ratified and unveiled the blueprint for the integrated development of the Yangtze River Delta region, a vast region in East China that includes Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Anhui Provinces, in a bid to forge the region as an exemplary model for high-quality development in a new era of reform and opening up.

With regard to aviation, the blueprint explicitly states :arrow: a new airport in Nantong (a city in Jiangsu Province neighboring Shanghai to the north) would be planned for construction as a part of Shanghai’s aviation hub.

Previous reports show Nantong’s new airport would cover 20 sq km with a designed capacity of 50M pax.

This is definitely great news for Nantong!
Big congrats :champagne: :champagne:
We’ll see when this airport gets built and how it would impact Shanghai’s major airport PVG.

It was also interesting to note how this rumored proposed 3rd airport located in Nantong for Shanghai kept getting ferociously attacked online by many Shanghainese ppl.
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

eamondzhang

Re: 3rd new airport for Shanghai confirmed to be built

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 am

Quoting directly from the article:
这是否意味着传说中的上海第三机场落户南通实锤了?

Translate: Does this mean that the third airport for Shanghai will be located in Nantong?

南通新机场若能进入国家相关规划并最终建成

Translate: If the new Nantong Airport is being approved and constructed......

南通新机场若能建成

Translate: If the new Nantong Airport is built....

具备上海枢纽机场功能的南通新机场正在抓紧规划

Translate: The new Nantong Airport under plan will have the ability to become a hub airport for Shanghai.

All the wordings in the news is saying "if", "plan", etc. and these words them becomes confirmed to you.

Suggest title change.

Michael

migair54

Re: Rumour: 3rd new airport for Shanghai to be located in Nantong

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 am

I don't think any airline will be willing to move there from any of the current airports, it looks pretty far from most of the city, maybe we will see new airlines or low cost options moving there if it's cheap enough, something like STN for London or HHN for Frankfurt city.

50 M pax a year seems too much for a new airport, but the numbers in China are usually much bigger than anywhere else.

PVG is a very nice airport with plenty of space for expansion, very well connected to the city, same for SHA, very convenient and close by, so I think most traffic for Shanghai city will choose PVG or SHA over the new airport in the north, unless they make it very attractive somehow, cheap fares, charters, or just for the couple of cities around there.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 am

Definitely not rumor :white:

New Nantong airport has been officially declared as a part of Shanghai aviation hub with PVG and SHA
官宣!南通新机场将和上海两机场构成上海航空主枢纽

c933103

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:28 am

Nah, it say "Build Nantong new airport to become an important component of the Shanghai international aviation hub", it doesn't mean it will be termed Third Shanghai Airport per se.
Also, I seems to see an parallel between this and last year when they designated Huizhou Airport as the "Shenzhen Second Airport", which didn't result in any material changes there as far as I can tell.
Edit: On the other hand I have also saw rumors saying that it will become larger than Hongqiao airport
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:46 am

Umm...whatever happen to the plan to make Jiaxing “Shanghai’s 3rd Airport/Hangzhou’s 2nd Airport”?

Otherwise, seems to me that everything is still just “in planning”. But it’s mainland PRC, and if they want something to happen, it will happen.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

c933103

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:56 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Umm...whatever happen to the plan to make Jiaxing “Shanghai’s 3rd Airport/Hangzhou’s 2nd Airport”?

Otherwise, seems to me that everything is still just “in planning”. But it’s mainland PRC, and if they want something to happen, it will happen.

There were different plans supported by different fraction of different group of people representing different interests. But apparently this is a authoritative planning document from the central government which should have higher authority over all those other plans being suggested
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

SQ317

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but is it necessary to build a new airport given the huge expansion at PVG in recent years? With 2 new runways built and the massive new satellite terminal under construction.. as a side note, per Wikipedia (I know, not a good source), runway 15/33 isn't in operation - is this true?

c933103

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:19 am

SQ317 wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but is it necessary to build a new airport given the huge expansion at PVG in recent years? With 2 new runways built and the massive new satellite terminal under construction.. as a side note, per Wikipedia (I know, not a good source), runway 15/33 isn't in operation - is this true?

Further expansion of PVG should also be part of the plan.

Ziyulu

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am

New York area has 3 airports, why can't a city as big as Shanghai support 3?

SteelChair

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:54 am

I would think that Shangai could support not only 3, but 3 ATL or ORD sized airports. As long as they are far enough apart. That's the great thing about the new Beijing airport, its so far away from the existing airport. Does anyone know how far apart these Shanghai airports are, and if the military is planning on giving up any more airspace?

c933103

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:11 am

SteelChair wrote:
I would think that Shangai could support not only 3, but 3 ATL or ORD sized airports. As long as they are far enough apart. That's the great thing about the new Beijing airport, its so far away from the existing airport. Does anyone know how far apart these Shanghai airports are, and if the military is planning on giving up any more airspace?

See attached image.
The "Nantong Haimen" marked in the image is going to be the location of the New Nantong Airport (approximate), it will be about 90km away from the Hongqiao airport, across the Yangtze river
According to other earlier reports, the Nantong Haimen airport will mainly focus on handling LCC and freight traffic
Hangzhou, Nanjing, Ningbo, Wuxi airports in the image are going to be regional aviation hub for respective area
Yangzhou, Changzhou, Jiaxing are going to be freight hub.

Also, I don't think the military have given up extra air space for the new airport, but rumor said the military have approved adjustment to existing approach/take off path that would enable operation of the new airport. Rumor also claims that the new airport will also use up all usable air space in the region and make any other airport under planning to become virtually impossible to have enough airspace to be built.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos