xwb777
Topic Author

Rumor: Emirates 'might' launch DXB-PRG-BOS/ORD

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:23 pm

According to many rumors circulating around is that Emirates might lauch fifth freedom flights connecting Prague with Chicago or Boston.

If the rumor is true, i think it might be Chicago.

konkret

Re: Rumor: Emirates 'might' launch DXB-PRG-BOS/ORD

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 pm

It is highly speculative, but out of the two I would bet on BOS because of the connections onto JetBlue

SRQKEF

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Did you perhaps read about those rumors on this very same site?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1426545
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

enilria

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 pm

xwb777 wrote:
According to many rumors circulating around is that Emirates might lauch fifth freedom flights connecting Prague with Chicago or Boston.

Rumors circulating around where: Prague Airport, Emirates HQ, Boston handling subcontractor, Emirates pilots, Delta employees, etc. You are not even providing an iota of background.

enilria

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:50 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
Did you perhaps read about those rumors on this very same site?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1426545

Lol. Nice. A rumor of a rumor.

DL747400

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Very few rumors ever come to pass, especially one with no details. For this reason, I'm not seeing any reason to think that this rumor is any different at this point.

If EK officially announces another 5th freedom route to the U.S., they should fully expect the US3 to launch another aggressive PR campaign to stop them.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:54 pm

konkret wrote:
It is highly speculative, but out of the two I would bet on BOS because of the connections onto JetBlue

I don't know that B6 would bring much value here.

1. Emirates already has pretty good North American coverage, and B6 out of BOS is still fairly thin, both in destinations and frequencies to many airports not already served by Emirates.

2. 2-stop itins to PRG aren't really competitive, nor are 3-stops to DXB.

Blerg

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:02 pm

From what I heard their ATH-EWR flights are not performing that well outside the busy summer season. LO is struggling big time in BUD for flights to North America so why would EK go for PRG? Demand is obviously seasonal and the market is well served by others, especially by OS, LH, LO... as well as seasonal non-stop from the US.

Cointrin330

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:16 pm

If ATH-EWR is struggling during the non-summer months, I just can't see PRG-BOS or PRG-ORD doing much better. All of these are mainly leisure routes. Business traffic to ATH and PRG is not big from the US.

cledaybuck

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Is there really much of a market from ORD/BOS to PRG? Seems like a good way to light money on fire to me.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

chepos

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Blerg wrote:
From what I heard their ATH-EWR flights are not performing that well outside the busy summer season. LO is struggling big time in BUD for flights to North America so why would EK go for PRG? Demand is obviously seasonal and the market is well served by others, especially by OS, LH, LO... as well as seasonal non-stop from the US.

How do you know EK is struggling on EWR-ATH or LO is struggling on BUD flights to North America? I am always curious on how A.netters come up with these conclusions. Unless you have a direct link to someone at the airline who would be privy to this data (not a gate agent, flight attendant or Pilot) it Is basically made up rumors. Maybe even a sillier rumor than this supposed PRG flight. I am not saying these flights make money for EK or LO, I am just curious based on what data you state these flights are not performing well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

jfklganyc

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:10 pm

I hope its BOS!

B6 made such a show of support for EK when they were flying these types of routes.

I think it is only appropriate that B6 gets to compete against them BOS Europe.

jcwr56

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

xwb777 wrote:

There’s been no discussions at any level with anyone.

EK knows the capacity issues at ORD and I just don’t see them doing it.

Pi7472000

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 pm

This would be great for U.S. passengers. More options and better service from Emirates!! Hopefully we see more of this type of competition, better fares, and service from Emirates to the U.S.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:27 pm

AA and UA seem to be doing very well with PRG this Summer. Doesn't sounds too crazy an idea. If Emirates is desperate to try some new fifth freedom EU-NA routes those dont sound too bad.

Blerg

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:56 pm

chepos wrote:
Blerg wrote:

How do you know EK is struggling on EWR-ATH or LO is struggling on BUD flights to North America? I am always curious on how A.netters come up with these conclusions. Unless you have a direct link to someone at the airline who would be privy to this data (not a gate agent, flight attendant or Pilot) it Is basically made up rumors. Maybe even a sillier rumor than this supposed PRG flight. I am not saying these flights make money for EK or LO, I am just curious based on what data you state these flights are not performing well?

Well, if you follow the LOT thread then you would have come across a link to BUD's website where they had LO's long-haul performance over the past few months. From what I remember in February their LF to ORD was 24%.As for ATH to EWR, the DOT publishes all numbers and so does the European Union. I even posted some EWR-ATH numbers in another thread the other day.

OA940

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Blerg wrote:
chepos wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Well, if you follow the LOT thread then you would have come across a link to BUD's website where they had LO's long-haul performance over the past few months. From what I remember in February their LF to ORD was 24%.As for ATH to EWR, the DOT publishes all numbers and so does the European Union. I even posted some EWR-ATH numbers in another thread the other day.

Would you care to share those numbers with us? I couldn't find them anywhere. Also from what I've heard ATH-EWR isn't doing that bad off-season. I mean it's not great but it's not horrible. Otherwise I assume they would've cancelled it. I could see them maybe downgauge to an A330neo or an A350 when they come during the low season, or maybe 778 for cargo?
A350/CSeries = bae

CALMSP

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:14 pm

BUD-ORD at 24%?? ouch. I'd imagine better now?

Would love an option for non-stop ORD-PRG.

airbazar

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:23 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
konkret wrote:

1. Emirates already has pretty good North American coverage, and B6 out of BOS is still fairly thin, both in destinations and frequencies to many airports not already served by Emirates.

I think you're missing the point, entirely.
There is no market for BOS-PRG as a stand alone route. Very few people are going to fly BOS-PRG-DXB when EK already flies BOS-DXB non-stop.
EK would need B6 feed to fill the plane on the BOS-PRG sector, so it's a 1-stop U.S.-BOS-PRG.
EK already has their own feed at DXB for the DXB-PRG sector.
That is how 5th freedom routes work: Feed on 1 side for 1 sector + feed on the other side for the other sector.
That is how the DXB-MXP-JFK flight works too. Most people getting in at JFK, get out at MXP then the plane loads up a new batch of passengers heading to Asia. Those who actually fly JFK-MXP-DXB are too few.

Having said that I think DXB-ATH-BOS would be a better choice.
In a few years they'll be able top do this with 787's.
Last edited by airbazar on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EK77WNH

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:23 pm

EK’s planes are just too big, as their fleet is presently set up. The 2nd Boston flight for EK never did that well, but it was in the mix before B6 ramped up. Today, it’s probably somewhat better. Maybe the 77L would work, and even then it would likely be seasonal.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

JakubH

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:54 pm

airbazar wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
konkret wrote:

I think you're missing the point, entirely.
There is no market for BOS-PRG as a stand alone route. Very few people are going to fly BOS-PRG-DXB when EK already flies BOS-DXB non-stop.
EK would need B6 feed to fill the plane on the BOS-PRG sector, so it's a 1-stop U.S.-BOS-PRG.
EK already has their own feed at DXB for the DXB-PRG sector.
That is how 5th freedom routes work: Feed on 1 side for 1 sector + feed on the other side for the other sector.
That is how the DXB-MXP-JFK flight works too. Most people getting in at JFK, get out at MXP then the plane loads up a new batch of passengers heading to Asia. Those who actually fly JFK-MXP-DXB are too few.

Could EK extend one of its two daily PRG flights to BOS (with a 773/772)? That way, they know the PRG-DXB sector will continue doing well and PRG-BOS with B6 feed could justify the fifth freedom extension, say 4 or 5 days of the week? If UA, AA and DL are doing well seasonally, I can see a lot of interest in a direct PRG-US flight with higher quality service (and Boston is perfectly situated for onward connections to most North American destinations on B6 and AS).
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
C. S. Lewis

gatibosgru

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 pm

PRG-BOS sounds more like an XLR route than a 77W one. Secretly hoping B6 or DL add it come NEO times (and if DL orders the XLR)
@DadCelo

konkret

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 pm

CSA doesn't operate any flights to N. America so they might be willing to work with EK to feed their flight to BOS/ORD.

flyboy7974

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:27 am

And I heard that AA was soon announcing PRGORD 5X weekly next summer ........ hmmmmmm

Waiting for that normal August AA announcement for next summers service, also hearing PHL is getting two new markets & TLV returns 5/2020 to either PHL or DFW. Also that AA may link CMN to their network here soon, no press release, just HDQ buzz

BuildingMyBento

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:01 am

of course it's a rumor...if it were true, it would be DXB-LHR-DTW, duh

OlympicATH

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am

airbazar wrote:

I agree. Last year 65,700 people travelled between ATH and BOS. Now that ORD is served by AA, BOS is the No1 unserved destination from ATH after SYD and MEL (and these won't happen anytime soon). Pretty big market, I would think larger than PRG or BUD.
Only issue is that demand is probably highly seasonal, much more so than ATH-NYC. So while I could see this happen as a seasonal route on DL in the next five years, I'm not sure about EK. They generally prefer markets that can sustain daily service year-round.

PHLCVGAMTK

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 pm

I could believe EK looking into a 5th Freedom flight to double frequency at BOS. Shifting the BOS-DXB nonstop to the morning would allow a EU 5th Freedom flight to take the night connection bank, vastly increasing the leverage of the B6 hub. But given the presumptive high political cost of reopening the fight with the TATL JV3 and the Trump Administration over 5th Freedoms, I can't see them willing to touch off that freakout for PRG. Yes, I think PRG-United States has latent demand, but not daily, year-round 77W latent demand, even with help from DXB and beyond.

If this rumor was about ATH, or VIE, or SXF/BER, which are all higher-demand destinations, and at the edge of (or in ATH's case, beyond) B6's A321XLR range, I would treat this as at least plausible, but as it stands it's a bridge too far. Which is not to say that it's impossible. EK has certainly surprised us all before. But my priors are low.

I could perhaps also see EK trying to break into a new US destination, but I can't imagine where that would be. The largest air market EK doesn't directly serve is PHL, and EK would be suicidal to take a direct run at AA's POS advantage and QR's well-established PHL-DOH flight. Beyond that, the unserved potential markets shrink rapidly, without a US-flagged partner handling regional connections.

airbazar

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:22 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
I agree. Last year 65,700 people travelled between ATH and BOS. Now that ORD is served by AA, BOS is the No1 unserved destination from ATH after SYD and MEL (and these won't happen anytime soon). Pretty big market, I would think larger than PRG or BUD.
Only issue is that demand is probably highly seasonal, much more so than ATH-NYC. So while I could see this happen as a seasonal route on DL in the next five years, I'm not sure about EK. They generally prefer markets that can sustain daily service year-round.

If EK can live with rock bottom fares and less than ideal load factors on MXP-JFK with an A380, I don't see them having a problem with the same on ATH-BOS on a 77W, and improving on that when the 787's arrive :)

parrotta

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 am

CALMSP wrote:
BUD-ORD at 24%?? ouch. I'd imagine better now?

Would love an option for non-stop ORD-PRG.

tha truth about BUD-ORD LF that LO cancelled many of the flights due to the 787 engine problems, and also they fly 2x a week, currently ORD lfs are surprisingly high.
AA upgrades PHL-BUD to A330 in june

EvanWSFO

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Prague is a beautiful city. It's one of my favorite places in Europe, and should be on everyone's bucket list. Having said that I would say it is also very seasonal. It seems there is sufficient lift between there and the U.S. already.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

behramjee

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:38 pm

I foresee EK expanding its USA services only after it gets the incremental bilateral seats for India which is expected by end October.

It is expected that DXB will be given between 14,000-20,000 extra weekly seats.

Revelation

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I hope its BOS!

B6 made such a show of support for EK when they were flying these types of routes.

And we can see more reasons why DL wants to crush B6 at BOS: the last thing they want is a viable feeder for EK TATL routes.

EvanWSFO wrote:
Prague is a beautiful city. It's one of my favorite places in Europe, and should be on everyone's bucket list. Having said that I would say it is also very seasonal. It seems there is sufficient lift between there and the U.S. already.

Well said. I can see myself taking a trip to Prague based on what I've heard, but probably only one, and there isn't a big VFR draw either.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

JakubH

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:56 am

Revelation wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
I hope its BOS!

And we can see more reasons why DL wants to crush B6 at BOS: the last thing they want is a viable feeder for EK TATL routes.

EvanWSFO wrote:

Well said. I can see myself taking a trip to Prague based on what I've heard, but probably only one, and there isn't a big VFR draw either.

Staff at Prague Airport are very skeptical but are hoping for a seasonal ORD flight, possibly on AA from 2020.

Emirates' local manager in Prague noted in 2018 that year-round demand for Chicago was limited, given an absence of a larger expat community there (unlike the Polish one), though expressed openness to a 5th freedom route.

My hunch is that BOS would be the more suitable, given B6's feed and a lack of year-round service to Prague from North America, which many business people might prefer over stopovers at airports like LHR, CDG or AMS (or backtracking via ORD).

However, such discussions would likely face lots of resistance from US3. I think PRG would be ideal for a future B6 long-haul operation relatively soon.

My bets: 50% probability of ORD-PRG starting in 2020 on a 788, 10% probability of a 5th freedom route DXB-PRG-BOS starting in the next 3-4 years.

And finally yes: Prague is beyond spectacular and everyone should visit at least once! If you do, try to avoid the July and August tourist madness and go before/after the European summer break.
C. S. Lewis

worldranger

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:49 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
behramjee wrote:
I foresee EK expanding its USA services only after it gets the incremental bilateral seats for India which is expected by end October.

Do you happen to know the current, 68000?

JakubH

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:37 pm

worldranger wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
behramjee wrote:

Do you happen to know the current, 68000?

Unless it's been changed, it's 130,000 seats weekly, but likely split between both sides equally (?).

Coming back to the original topic, seeing how insanely busy Prague is in the summer season this year, I would not be surprised by an ORD-PRG announcement by AA soon, and DXB-PRG-BOS to follow in the next 2-3 years (if the politics can be worked out). Not sure it will be tied to the Indian bilateral, but could see A330neos and 787-10s being a major driver for routes like this.

Is EK able to attract US-based travelers going to Europe just with a B6 feed? Is there a large difference in how attractive EK is for business and leisure travelers on the US side?
C. S. Lewis

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos