TWA302
Topic Author

Former Execs of WOW trying to bring back LCC named WAB

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 pm

I searched deep but nothing seems to be posted about this. Search isn't always reliable so please delete if there is another thread.

From the article:
"Two ex-directors at the now defunct airline WOW air are working on founding a new low-fare airline from the ruins of WOW air. The twosome is working on raising the airline from the ground with investors. It is planned that WAB air becomes operational next fall. According to plans, the airline will operate six airplanes which will fly to fourteen destinations in Europe and the United States. WAB is a working name at the moment and stands for We Are Back.

The plans account for a million passengers traveling with the airline in the first year, and that it will hire 500 employees in the next twelve months. The revenue is expected to be close to 20 billion ISK (140m €, 157m $) in the next year. Former founder and CEO of WOW air Skúli Mogensen is not involved with the new airline."

https://www.icelandreview.com/news/wab-air-to-rise-from-the-ruins-of-wow-air/

We are Back? WAB? Ehhhhhhhh. This should be interesting.

davidjohnson6

Re: Former Execs of WOW trying to bring back LCC named WAB

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 pm

Two former directors who possibly can't get another job that they like, or perhaps don't have the ability/willingness to do a different job

To the 2 people involved - you tried but failed. Just let go and do something else with your lives

Thenoflyzone

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 pm

More like "We are back, and we will fail again"

WABAWWFA Air
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

usflyer msp

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 am

Anyone who invests in this stupid idea deserves to lose their money..

AY104

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:08 am

When I first saw this post, I had to check my calendar to make sure it's not April 1st!
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

tharanga

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 am

from the article, it wouldn't actually be named 'wab'. that's just the name for the project until they come up with an actual name.

madpropsyo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 am

What does WAB stand for? Winging A Bankruptcy?

LG777

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:04 am

WOW didn't fail only because the concept was bad or its management idiot. That's a very simple way of seeing things.

The execution was not the best but they gained valuable experience from this.

Musk said one day (I think in his biography) something close to this:
First startup was a full failure. Second barely made it but failed. Third one became PayPal.

TC957

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 am

The sign of a good serial entrepreneur.....dust yourself down from a failure, learn from it and go again.

AA737-823

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 am

TC957 wrote:
The sign of a good serial entrepreneur.....dust yourself down from a failure, learn from it and go again.

That's one thing if you're making high-tech widget gizmos that few people are interested in.
But when your "startup company" employs hundreds of people, using assets costing hundreds of millions of dollars, and is in the heavily-regulated (as it should be) realm of transporting the paying public at 550MPH in a thin metal tube....
It becomes something else entirely.

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am

madpropsyo wrote:

I'm guessing WannABet it lasts a year?
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

nighthawk

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:20 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't most of the issues with WOW to do with the founder? I seem to recall that there were a few investors willing to invest in the airline, but only on the condition that he stepped down and gave up some of his stake in the company, which he refused to do.

Without him involved, perhaps it may have a chance at success second time round?

Who better to run an airline than those who have been involved before? Now they know what worked, and what didnt.

steeler83

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

I thought they grew too much too fast. They made such a blitz into North America and various other locations rather than trying out a few routes at a time to see how they did.

In any event, I hope they were able to learn what proved successful and what proved detrimental. We've seen plenty of start-ups come and go, mainly because they all tried employing the same methods that proved unsuccessful. (Skybus, PeoplExpress 2.0). Both of those airlines failed within a year if I remember correctly, but I think WOW lasted from 2013 to early this year. Then again, I guess it flew for as long as it did because someone kept funneling money into it to keep if flying...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

DFWuser

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am

This is Einstein's definition of insanity.
SF3 CR7 E75 M88 M90 L10 319 320 321 32B 332 333 343 388 712 722 732 733 73G 738 744 752 763 772 773 77W 788 789 78J

blueflyer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Aaaaahhhh typical a.net, every new airline is the dumbest idea ever... unless the airline resurrects an old brand! If the founders had called their project TWA, there'd be nothing but positive vibes.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 pm

TC957 wrote:

That's a particularly poor reference given the regulated, specific nature of the industry as noted in post #12. It's not a business that can be transformed, nor where brilliant industry-wide standards can be created (and milked, like Apple's App Store). It's a transportation service business. But, if you think these guys are oh so very smart, give them your money. They won't be getting any of mine.

thekorean

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm

I would have more faith if they had billions in wealth and were willing to lose money.

Flanker7

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm

madpropsyo wrote:

What a bummer
Flying blue only if possible

nighthawk

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

It's not a business that can be transformed

Tell that to the low cost airlines. They seem to have done a damn good job of transforming the short haul markets.

BWIAirport

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm

I wonder what exactly they plan on doing differently? AFAIK WOW was a success until they started adding like 5 destinations per year. Maybe they try to get it to that point and try to grow more sustainably after that.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Seabear

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm

thekorean wrote:
I would have more faith if they had billions in wealth and were willing to lose money.

Other. People's. Money.

thekorean

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Seabear wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Other. People's. Money.

Exactly so this will fail.

PatrickZ80

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:29 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Two former directors who possibly can't get another job that they like, or perhaps don't have the ability/willingness to do a different job

To the 2 people involved - you tried but failed. Just let go and do something else with your lives

Thenoflyzone wrote:
More like "We are back, and we will fail again"

WABAWWFA Air

I disagree with both posts above. Yes, they failed but in doing so they gained experience. Some people are able to learn from their mistakes, they won't make those same mistakes again. I'd say they have a good chance of succeeding.

Besides, they got the help of Aislinn Whittley-Ryan. This name might not say a lot to some people, but it's the owner of Avianta Capital. Aislinn Whittley-Ryan comes from Ryanair and in such brings in a whole lot of LCC knowledge.

PatrickZ80

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Seabear wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Other. People's. Money.

Actually it's their own money.

So far what I could find out this new airline has three shareholders. One of them is Aislinn Whittley-Ryan from Avianta Capital. Not only do they have a lot of money to invest, they also got knowledge in the aviation business. More precisely, in the LCC business. Aislinn Whittley-Ryan comes from Ryanair, need I say more?

SRQKEF

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Seabear wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Other. People's. Money.

So far what I could find out this new airline has three shareholders. One of them is Aislinn Whittley-Ryan from Avianta Capital. Not only do they have a lot of money to invest, they also got knowledge in the aviation business. More precisely, in the LCC business. Aislinn Whittley-Ryan comes from Ryanair, need I say more?

She isn’t from Ryanair, her father is. I just can’t see them getting an airline up and running in 3 months.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

djvalume

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:08 pm

If memory serves me right, WOW's original business plan worked quite well with the A320 family and made a good chunk of profit... but all went south quickly when they changed their business plan and introduced the A330 into the mix

TWA302
Topic Author

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Other. People's. Money.

She isn’t from Ryanair, her father is. I just can’t see them getting an airline up and running in 3 months.

The article says "next Fall", so 2020. That would be more logical. Honestly, I hope they have learned from the past and improve on this. The customer experience was far from amazing when we did STL-KEF-STL.

OA940

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Ah yes the know-it-alls of the internet. Truth is WOW was actually on a good-ish path until 2 years ago or so. Also, truth is that none of you know anything about how this airline, or anything in this industry, will go. Maybe hold on your criticism for after they fail, if they fail. This is certainly not a completely insane plan.
A350/CSeries = bae

Gulfstream500

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 pm

So... sticking with the transatlantic Spirit airlines model, or are they going to change to a transatlantic Allegiant model?

(Side note: a 737-500 is capable of making a JFK-KEF run, and costs only $2.5 million for a 1997 model. By airline standards, it’s still got up to 10 years left in it!)
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

PatrickZ80

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
So... sticking with the transatlantic Spirit airlines model, or are they going to change to a transatlantic Allegiant model?

(Side note: a 737-500 is capable of making a JFK-KEF run, and costs only $2.5 million for a 1997 model. By airline standards, it’s still got up to 10 years left in it!)

Of course this remains to be seen, but I think they might try the "Allegiant model" this time. In Europe this would be known as the Ryanair model. Basically there are two things that differ the two models from each other:

- Primary versus secondary airports. Both Allegiant and Ryanair are known for using cheap secondary airports in order to cut costs. This would be good as this way they avoid direct competition.

- Connections versus no connections. Allegiant doesn't sell connecting flights, Ryanair only recently started doing so but basically they're arranged self-connections. Price of a connecting flight on Ryanair is just the price of the two flights added up.

One of the things that caused trouble on WOW air were the connections, too many people missed their connections which cost them a whole lot of money. It also caused disruptions in their schedule. If they get rid of the connections they wouldn't have this problem.

Sure a 737-500 is capable of making a flight from New York to Iceland, but it's not the most economic plane for it. Certainly not when it's packed to the brim like is mostly the case on LCCs, after all for an LCC to make money they need high load factors. Most LCCs operate very young fleets. This would mean more initial costs for purchasing the aircraft, but that money is easily earned back on lower operating costs. An old aircraft is also more likely to go tech, which would cause disruptions. LCCs want to avoid disruptions at all costs as they cost a whole lot of money. Young aircraft are far more reliable than old aircraft.

Bricktop

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 pm

DFWuser wrote:
This is Einstein's definition of insanity.

This time it's different!

Natflyer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:

Nah forget it. The 737-400 barely made KEF-YHZ. The difference in distance is 460nm.

Gulfstream500

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:46 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

Of course this remains to be seen, but I think they might try the "Allegiant model" this time. In Europe this would be known as the Ryanair model. Basically there are two things that differ the two models from each other:

- Primary versus secondary airports. Both Allegiant and Ryanair are known for using cheap secondary airports in order to cut costs. This would be good as this way they avoid direct competition.

- Connections versus no connections. Allegiant doesn't sell connecting flights, Ryanair only recently started doing so but basically they're arranged self-connections. Price of a connecting flight on Ryanair is just the price of the two flights added up.

One of the things that caused trouble on WOW air were the connections, too many people missed their connections which cost them a whole lot of money. It also caused disruptions in their schedule. If they get rid of the connections they wouldn't have this problem.

Sure a 737-500 is capable of making a flight from New York to Iceland, but it's not the most economic plane for it. Certainly not when it's packed to the brim like is mostly the case on LCCs, after all for an LCC to make money they need high load factors. Most LCCs operate very young fleets. This would mean more initial costs for purchasing the aircraft, but that money is easily earned back on lower operating costs. An old aircraft is also more likely to go tech, which would cause disruptions. LCCs want to avoid disruptions at all costs as they cost a whole lot of money. Young aircraft are far more reliable than old aircraft.

To eliminate connections, they could go for the one stop no plane change model.

In a BOS-KEF-STN route, the flight time would come in at 8 hours excluding ground time. For that, one could expect the cost of flying that route on a 737-500 for $77,000 (by using WN’s per block hour cost), which could hold about 140 passengers in a high density configuration. Theoretically, you could charge $700 on the flight, about $100-$200 less than Iceland air’s fares, and make a pretty good load factor.

With WOW’s load factors, this route would make a pretty good amount of money.
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

Natflyer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

In a BOS-KEF-STN route, the flight time would come in at 8 hours excluding ground time. For that, one could expect the cost of flying that route on a 737-500 for $77,000 (by using WN’s per block hour cost), which could hold about 140 passengers in a high density configuration. Theoretically, you could charge $700 on the flight, about $100-$200 less than Iceland air’s fares, and make a pretty good load factor.

With WOW’s load factors, this route would make a pretty good amount of money.

Any which way you cut it, a 737-500 would never work. Just ridiculous. It does not have the useful load to do it. And 140 is cramped in a -300 let alone a -500 (if it works at all). Issues with fuel,baggage space (and weight), range and I doubt you can find an ETOPS 737-500. And then the slow speed (M.74) kills all chances of making resonable utilization in 24 hrs.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:45 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:

Which would greatly reduce demand and therefor load factors. After all with a no plane change model you connect one dot in Europe to one dot in America. With a plane change model you connect one dot in Europe to far more dots in America, and vice versa.

Connections are needed, but they can be self-connections. That way the risk of making the connection lies with the passenger instead of the airline. Besides, self-connections would reduce ticket prices out of countries with a ticket tax like the UK. Instead of taxing it all the way into the USA, they only tax it as far as Iceland. The second leg is on a different ticket and therefor not subject to tax.

Boeing74741R

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:26 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

But Ryanair have been moving away from strictly serving secondary airports. They still serve them, but now they serve the likes of BRU, AMS, FRA and BCN in addition to the secondary airports they still serve anyway and used to market with the city name in such as CRL, HHN, REU and GRO - a situation completely unthinkable 10 years ago.

PatrickZ80 wrote:

That's partly a matter of ensuring there's resilience in the operation and getting it right. Just because it caused problems for WOW doesn't mean WOW 2.0 shouldn't do so. Their main rivals in the KEF market Icelandair seem to cope OK.

That said, if they don't market connections then they may only find themselves competing for O&D traffic and I'm not sure if the market to/from Iceland is big enough to sustain them. People could make their own connections, but it's a risky strategy and will only appeal to those who are after the cheapest possible price or those who have no other choice.

akb88

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Gulfstream500

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:14 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

Which would greatly reduce demand and therefor load factors. After all with a no plane change model you connect one dot in Europe to one dot in America. With a plane change model you connect one dot in Europe to far more dots in America, and vice versa.

Connections are needed, but they can be self-connections. That way the risk of making the connection lies with the passenger instead of the airline. Besides, self-connections would reduce ticket prices out of countries with a ticket tax like the UK. Instead of taxing it all the way into the USA, they only tax it as far as Iceland. The second leg is on a different ticket and therefor not subject to tax.

Yes, but in an Allegiant-type model, they could fly to three different places in a week, as the proper connection would only have to take place twice a week.

TWA302
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:26 pm

akb88 wrote:

Well that throws a wrench into the works of the WAB team, now doesn't it? :o Is there ANY way Iceland could support three airlines? I think KEF was packed when there were two.

SRQKEF

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
That's partly a matter of ensuring there's resilience in the operation and getting it right. Just because it caused problems for WOW doesn't mean WOW 2.0 shouldn't do so. Their main rivals in the KEF market Icelandair seem to cope OK.

The key difference there is that FI is an IATA member, whereas WOW was not. So, say JFK-KEF gets delayed or cancelled. In FI's case, they can rebook connecting pax to LHR onto AA/BA/DL, FRA/MUC onto DL/LH, AMS onto KL/DL etc. etc. However, in the case of WOW, those pax are stuck at either JFK or KEF until the next available flight leaves (even worse in the case of 3-4x weekly service like PIT, STL etc.)

I agree with your point on primary vs secondary markets however. Flying to STN/LGW in London is fine, but no way they'll be flying from CRL/HHN/BVA if they ever get resurrected, at least not at first.

SRQKEF

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm

TWA302 wrote:
akb88 wrote:

Well that throws a wrench into the works of the WAB team, now doesn't it? :o Is there ANY way Iceland could support three airlines? I think KEF was packed when there were two.

No. Two is a bit much IMHO, but three would be an absolute bloodbath that'd serve no one well.

xbgb2003

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm

The new outlets here in Iceland are picking up on rumours that the buyer is Michelle Ballarin and her partners at Oasis Aviation Group. She was supposedly sniffing around the company before/after it went bust.

VolvoBus

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Would the EU buy into operations from Iceland to EU by a US owned entity ?

F9Fan

Someone just bought what's left of WOW Air.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 pm

The Iceland Monitor is reporting (https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2019/07/12/will_americans_resurrect_wow_air/) that an unnamed group, "experienced in airline operation and with decades of experience in the US, Europe and elsewhere” purchased the flight assets (e.g. brand name, logo, internet domain, booking system, operations manuals, crew uniforms and spare parts). The buyers are meeting with the Icelandic Transportation Authority about their plans. These investors are not related to the investors trying to start WAB Air. My guess is these new investors are actually Indigo Partners, but that is pure speculation. Stay tuned. We could see WOW Air returning soon.

akb88

Re: Someone just bought what's left of WOW Air.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Icelandic media is reporting rumours that it's OAG.

SRQKEF

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:10 pm

F9Fan wrote:
The Iceland Monitor is reporting (https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2019/07/12/will_americans_resurrect_wow_air/) that an unnamed group, "experienced in airline operation and with decades of experience in the US, Europe and elsewhere” purchased the flight assets (e.g. brand name, logo, internet domain, booking system, operations manuals, crew uniforms and spare parts). The buyers are meeting with the Icelandic Transportation Authority about their plans. These investors are not related to the investors trying to start WAB Air. My guess is these new investors are actually Indigo Partners, but that is pure speculation. Stay tuned. We could see WOW Air returning soon.

Indigo has confirmed it has nothing to do with it. It seems this is actually a very shady operation called Oasis Aviation Group, which has a stock website and its only foray into airlines is a single 734 in Djibouti.

a320fan

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:55 pm

If Indigo partners wanted Wow they would have gone ahead before the airline ceased. The brand would be toxic to relaunch now after such a well publicised shutdown. They’d be better off just starting a Wizzair base in KEF.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

MIflyer12

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:29 pm

a320fan wrote:
If Indigo partners wanted Wow they would have gone ahead before the airline ceased. The brand would be toxic to relaunch now after such a well publicised shutdown. They’d be better off just starting a Wizzair base in KEF.

Direction depends on relevant bankruptcy law. Don't buy too soon and wind up with all the debts. Let the bankruptcy process shed debts and then buy the assets.
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/sto ... ocus3.html

bennett123

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 am

According to www.oasisaviation.com it is linked to Air Djibouti and flies cargo from IAD, (which houses it’ Corporate HQ) to Djibouti for the DOD and other IS Government Agencies.

What could be shady about that?.

bennett123

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:23 am

Strange thing is that Air Djibouti doesn’t operate B737 since 2017, and they were PAX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos