TW870
Topic Author

MSP Aviation History Thread

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm

There are a good number of people on here who are interested in Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and the airplanes and airlines that have served it. I thought we could use a thread to consolidate sources, discussion, and information. Let's focus on the period before 1990 (roughly), and keep drama out of the thread.

I just found this very cool clip, shot from the driveway with the camera person standing adjacent of the main entry road (or in the parking lot?), filming mostly touchdowns on (then) 29L. Tons of NWA, Western, and Braniff action. You can see the old Gold Concourse stub in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgO_kw34vlA

Look at the part beginning at roughly 6 minutes, taken from the access road over by the old Officers Club across Highway 5. Look at how many 727 and heavies are parked in front of the NW hangars. Is this during a strike? The video says 1979, but Northwest pilots were on strike for the whole summer of 1978. Any other hypotheses about why they have so much metal on the ground?

Here is another good one - very grainy super 8! Love the smokey JT8Ds before the smokeless burners came around later in the 1970s. The Western indianhead 727 looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdgH0ExFxc

Anybody else have any good stuff or questions or ideas?

crjflyboy

Re: MSP Aviation History Thread

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:31 am

The movie AIRPORT was filmed there … Lincoln Airport

Planeboy17

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:44 am

TW870 wrote:
There are a good number of people on here who are interested in Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and the airplanes and airlines that have served it. I thought we could use a thread to consolidate sources, discussion, and information. Let's focus on the period before 1990 (roughly), and keep drama out of the thread.

I just found this very cool clip, shot from the driveway with the camera person standing adjacent of the main entry road (or in the parking lot?), filming mostly touchdowns on (then) 29L. Tons of NWA, Western, and Braniff action. You can see the old Gold Concourse stub in the background:

Look at the part beginning at roughly 6 minutes, taken from the access road over by the old Officers Club across Highway 5. Look at how many 727 and heavies are parked in front of the NW hangars. Is this during a strike? The video says 1979, but Northwest pilots were on strike for the whole summer of 1978. Any other hypotheses about why they have so much metal on the ground?

Here is another good one - very grainy super 8! Love the smokey JT8Ds before the smokeless burners came around later in the 1970s. The Western indianhead 727 looks great.

I love the Air Malta 707 sitting next to the Western 727 in the first video around the 4:04 mark. I’m assuming it was some kind of lease deal for Western.

TW870
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
TW870 wrote:

I love the Air Malta 707 sitting next to the Western 727 in the first video around the 4:04 mark. I’m assuming it was some kind of lease deal for Western.

I saw that too and loved it! Yep, Air Malta operated four different 720-047Bs either leased directly from Western or subleased from other airlines that Western had leased too. Air Malta did that for the summer high season in the late-1970s, and I am guessing WA was looking to offload capacity on their least fuel efficient fleet - especially once the '79 oil shock hit. It is clearly winter in that part of the video where the guy is on the NC DC-9, and so Western probably had gotten their plane back not long before. Also, love how Western had all the gates at the end of the blue concourse then, as American didn't start service until after deregulation.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:27 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
The movie AIRPORT was filmed there … Lincoln Airport

AND it was the destination for Global Flight #502 in "Skyjacked!" A World Airways 707 only needed the word change to "Global", and they were all set.

Okay, back to reality.

I have always read that Western Airlines had quite an operation at MSP - non-stops to SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, and SEA in 1973!

http://www.departedflights.com/WA090673.html

It also shows "to Chicago & New York", indicating an interline agreement. North Central? Northwest Orient? Definitely pre-hub and pre-deregulation days!

I visited my aunt and uncle up north (near Duluth) every summer since 2003, and also made many friends in the Twin Cities area. I got to be an honorary Minnesotan for a weekend every year, and absolutely fell in love with the Twin Cities - in the summer. I visited once in the winter and thought I had become a Popsicle. Still, MSP would be my number one choice for location to change planes in the middle of winter, simply because the people who live here know how to deal with this weather. And it's a great airport to hang out in.

Looking forward to more replies!!

Thunderbolt500

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:27 pm

One of the video has a link to a video of the final viking game how time has changed

Thunderbolt500

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:28 pm

One of the video has a link to a video of the final viking game how time has changed

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos